THE_T_V1RUS

Books that give you abilities, skills, and animations while in inventory

Knowledge is power needs to be added to dayz.

I've seen many books while playing dayz, and to my knowledge they are are pointless. I would like some books to have purposes.

For example, what if by finding a book titled "The Basics of Football" gave me the ability to tackle people?

Another example: Finding a book titled "Odds and Statistics" would unlock a coin flip animation. I could then flip a coin and the result would be displayed to all players very close to me. (Or just finding a coin. Doesn't have to ALL be books)

And another example: Finding the book titled "Self Defense" would give you the ability to disarm someone holding you at gunpoint if they get a little to close. If they have a rifle, you could even hit them in the head as you take it from them, giving a small chance to knock them out.

If there were berries in the game (I think they are adding them), a book titled "What to eat in the wild" would allow me to identify what berries were okay to eat and what berries were not okay to eat. Then all berries in the game could look exactly the same. The only way to know if eating what you find is safe is to have the book that gives you that skill.

There could even be volumes to books. Having only one volume of "What to eat in the wild" would limit the kinds of berries (or other foods) you could identify.

The only catch to this book idea is the player must have the book in their inventory. They can't just read the book and toss it down. You sacrifice inventory space to gain a skill, ability, or special animation. It would be interesting to see players collect books rather than weapons.

Who thinks making some books useful is a good idea?

Edited by THE_T_V1RUS
  • Like 5

You can call it wahtever,but personally I wouldn't mind a skill system that utilizes the usage of different books

as a means of teaching your player "special" knowledge.But i'm against the thought of,for example,finding a book becoming a nessecity in order to cook and similar stuff.

• Like 1

i can imagine the necessity to have a manual or reference book in possesion to be able to repair certain vehicles for example, like the UAZ operations and maintenance manual to be able to fix up the UAZ.

• Like 2

You can call it wahtever,but personally I wouldn't mind a skill system that utilizes the usage of different books

as a means of teaching your player "special" knowledge.But i'm against the thought of,for example,finding a book becoming a nessecity in order to cook and similar stuff.

I agree that books should be needed for "special tasks" knowledge only. Books should only be for an extra perk that isn't a commonly needed action (cooking, crafting, ext.). To expand on the berries example, there would be other ways to identify them, but a book would make it WAY easier. There should be no crafting books at all.

Edited by THE_T_V1RUS

i can imagine the necessity to have a manual or reference book in possesion to be able to repair certain vehicles for example, like the UAZ operations and maintenance manual to be able to fix up the UAZ.

Thats actually a very good example of when a book would be needed!

I don't usually visit a library to read books and gain "abilities" and "skills". I think if skills and such are going to be implemented, they need to be earned rather than found through books. For example, if there is an accuracy skill, I think the more you shoot a gun, the more familiarized with it you become, so over time you get better and better at shooting it. If that makes sense...

I don't usually visit a library to read books and gain "abilities" and "skills". I think if skills and such are going to be implemented, they need to be earned rather than found through books. For example, if there is an accuracy skill, I think the more you shoot a gun, the more familiarized with it you become, so over time you get better and better at shooting it. If that makes sense...

I don't think there should be shooting skills at all. I understand the more you shoot it, the better you are with it, but i think accuracy and reload speed should continue being based on the gun type only.

You cant read a book and get better with a gun, but for more specific things, a book would be needed. In real life if you wanted to learn self defense, you would have to go to a class. Been as no one is going to be teaching any kind of classes in DayZ, obtaining books could do the job for you.

I can't think of any books that would help you weapon wise.

Im thinking books would make your character unique. It would make each player different and useful in there own way. Some books would make your character "better" but not better at using any items or weapons. It would make them better by giving them something no one else could do without that specific book.

Anyone can shoot a gun. But not everyone can do parkour or perform CPR, it requires training of some kind.

See where I'm going with this?

• Like 1

If this was added it shouldn't be while in inventory... it should just be if you have picked up the book and read it. 

^ Like Project Zomboid, it could work but would need balance. Something like if you lose the book and do not preform the activity you learned from the book in awhile you forget it. 

^ Like Project Zomboid, it could work but would need balance. Something like if you lose the book and do not preform the activity you learned from the book in awhile you forget it.

I personally think you should have to sacrifice the inventory space and hold on to the book. I do like the read it to learn it, but if you don't use it, you loose it idea, but I just think that people would horde books and have every possible skill. It wouldn't make characters unique.

Maybe a special inventory just for books?

Yeah then I can also see why people don't want skill trees. I don't know how I feel completely on this subject. 

I don't think there should be shooting skills at all. I understand the more you shoot it, the better you are with it, but i think accuracy and reload speed should continue being based on the gun type only.

You cant read a book and get better with a gun, but for more specific things, a book would be needed. In real life if you wanted to learn self defense, you would have to go to a class. Been as no one is going to be teaching any kind of classes in DayZ, obtaining books could do the job for you.

I can't think of any books that would help you weapon wise.

Im thinking books would make your character unique. It would make each player different and useful in there own way. Some books would make your character "better" but not better at using any items or weapons. It would make them better by giving them something no one else could do without that specific book.

Anyone can shoot a gun. But not everyone can do parkour or perform CPR, it requires training of some kind.

See where I'm going with this?

I understand where you're coming from. The gun accuracy thing was just an example off the top of my head. I can understand some things need to be learned from a book, but I think if skills are implemented, books should maybe be the foundation of learning a skill. As you said, not everyone can do parkour or peform CPR. Training is needed.

yes i think books should have some sort of meaning in the game than just being ignored 

I would really like it if there were not 'skills' or 'levels' or 'abilities' added to this game. That would ruin pretty much everything for me. Why would I need a book to learn how to tackle someone or improve my shooting 'skill'? 

Needing a manual to repair complex equipment isn't a bad idea at all though. Same for learning more complex first aid. Administering an IV for example isn't as simple as sticking a needle in someones arm, neither is drawing blood. 

But really, I would prefer it if skills and things did not come to Day Z. I get enough of that with other games, Day Z is refreshing precisely because it doesn't have all that stuff. 

I am okay with books giving you trivial animations and other cosmetic stuff but fuck no to abilities.

Edited by myshl0ng

As unappealing as it is, books should also be an option for burning in a fireplace or camp fire for heat if you can't find wood.

I don't agree with having books for stuff like medical treatment, hunting etc because it would put too many at a disadvantage. It would suck to not be able to give a friend some blood or hunt for food when your starving because you have not found the right book yet. It would also be terrible to have to hold the books in ones inventory as it would waste space. Once read it should be remembered and dropped for another.

I do however agree with the idea of having manuals for reading to repair cars and such as they are very complex, but they should not to extend to changing a tire or putting in fuel just repairs such as those for the engine.

I don't agree with having books for stuff like medical treatment, hunting etc because it would put too many at a disadvantage. It would suck to not be able to give a friend some blood or hunt for food when your starving because you have not found the right book yet. It would also be terrible to have to hold the books in ones inventory as it would waste space. Once read it should be remembered and dropped for another.

I do however agree with the idea of having manuals for reading to repair cars and such as they are very complex, but they should not to extend to changing a tire or putting in fuel just repairs such as those for the engine.

I think, if books and skills are to be implemented in some form, that for things like hunting it should just increase the amount of meat/hide/bone whatever you successfully harvest. 

So in essence, you can perform every skill at a basic level and reading a book just gives you a permanent buff to your chances of success. So you can still do an IV, but the chances of giving someone an infection would be slightly less if you'd read a medical book.

I wouldn't like to see any skill stuff implemented, but if it has to be that's how I'd see it not completely ruining the core feel of the game.

I think, if books and skills are to be implemented in some form, that for things like hunting it should just increase the amount of meat/hide/bone whatever you successfully harvest. 

So in essence, you can perform every skill at a basic level and reading a book just gives you a permanent buff to your chances of success. So you can still do an IV, but the chances of giving someone an infection would be slightly less if you'd read a medical book.

I wouldn't like to see any skill stuff implemented, but if it has to be that's how I'd see it not completely ruining the core feel of the game.

That is much better in my opinion but I still don't want the books in game, even if they are implemented in the way you suggest. I would rather everyone be on the same level the having to search for a book you may never find to just get more meat from hunting.

• Like 1

That is much better in my opinion but I still don't want the books in game, even if they are implemented in the way you suggest. I would rather everyone be on the same level the having to search for a book you may never find to just get more meat from hunting.

I don't either, trust me. I don't want this to become the Frostfall mod from Skyrim, with guns.

For starters, we could start with animations when reading a book. You could be holding it in your hand or both and just look down on either a

1) open generic variant or

2) open copy of the actual book

The animation could be simple enough, no over excessive head turning to simulate "reading" (a bit might do), no changing pages. Bonus points if the animation shows you changing pages whenever you actually do.

If there ever was an idea to promote KoS, you've found it.

I think the idea of character progress is key to Day Z. In a game with freaking permadeath, it's a golden opportunity to make the game awesome but that particular idea might cause more problems. 

That's actually not a half bad idea. But let me make myself clear, I don't want books to be NEEDED. The only NEED I agree with is repair manuals being needed.

My goal is to add uniqueness to every character. Make them special some how. I don't think any basic skill should require a book. I don't think any book should make you magically better at using any items. I don't want a skill tree, xp points, levels, or classes. I would just like books (and possibly other items) to give you a neat ability/skill/animation that may or may not be useful.

Anyone with a few books should not be God. They should instead be unique and possibly useful. Maybe you shouldn't NEED a book to repair anything. Instead, having the book/repair manual gives you a far better chance of being able to fix it. Things like that is what I would like to see.

Edited by THE_T_V1RUS

If there ever was an idea to promote KoS, you've found it.

I think the idea of character progress is key to Day Z. In a game with freaking permadeath, it's a golden opportunity to make the game awesome but that particular idea might cause more problems.

Im not sure if you are talking about the shooting a lot to get better at shooting idea or the book idea. If you are talking about the book idea promoting KOS...

Its easily fixed by making a book bind to a player somehow. Not realistic, but it could be balanced. There are ways.

Edited by THE_T_V1RUS

I also thought about some things i found in this thread and i think, that things like being better at aiming/shooting is something you get better at in real life, so that's nothing your character needs a skill-level for.

But i like the idea, that certain actions, that everyone in real life heard about and could be able to try themselves, have a chance to fail or succeed (e.g. CPR). So books for certain skills would only increase your change to succeed, but every character is still able to execute an action. Or depending on your knowledge the outcome would be of higher quality, when your action ends in a certain item instead of a failure or success.

It would just make your character being more efficient. But still every new-spawned should be able to do most common and essential things. Though i agree on books for special tasks!

And concerning the idea of having the book in your inventory, it should be a bit more dynamic, like you can read a book certain times (either train/ repeat already known things) or exceed in reading the book, until your character "knows it by heart" or something.

So that you can decide, if you're satisfied with a for example 10% Boost in an action (which fades to 0% or depending on how skilled you are to a certain point, if you don't do the action on a regular basis) and drop the book, give it to someone, or you can also invest lots of time until you know the book by heart and dont need it anymore.

I think a system like this will be valuable, when the game gets to the state, when people organize in groups, have a base and people adopt certain roles, such as mechanic, medic, cook, etc., etc.

Edited by HoneyForcella
  • Like 1