bathtubbarracuda

The Lone Wolf: My Playthrough

I'm not intentionally alone. I just am.

Most of the survivors I meet end up losing their lives or logging. Sometimes I Skype with my UK friends, but they play for like an hour, so I usually find myself alone.

It's quite nerve-wrecking, being out alone for me. I usually love being alone when it comes to this, I mean, I get all the stuff, but still. Nobody can watch your back, nobody can help you. It's you, you, and all you. I eat, drink, and kill alone. I hardly ever find people alive, let alone people I team with. The closest thing I've found to a human so far is a note warning me about bandits. And I usually go to dangerous places, like the International Airfield and military bases. I teamed once with a guy, and he referred to the airfield as "Sniper Paradise." Nobody can watch me while I move in, so I either risk it or spend a very long time checking the treelines and towers. But I've made it out here for awhile, alone.

PROS OF BEING ALONE:

-All the gear to yourself

-Less Obvious

-More Stealthy (Leads back to point number two)

-You can do what you want to do

CONS OF BEING ALONE:

-Nobody can give you supplies if you're running low

-Getting hurt badly (Shot, breaking legs) can be more serious, even fatal.

-Paranoid

-Lonely

This all comes from my opinion. I might kill a friendly survivor out of paranoia. It's more dangerous when you're alone. If you're knocked out or break your legs, or lose alot of blood, your teammate might have Morphine or a Splint for you. If your mate has supplies that you don't, they could very well save your life. I don't like being alone, I would rather be with a group or even with one person. I keep moving, and try not to lose my life. I often will hunt bandits, and that is extremely dangerous alone unless you have a huge advantage. But once again, you are more stealthy, and you don't have to follow orders (unless you're the leader of the group). I remember I was poisoned, shot, and left for dead by bandits. If I had a teammate, I would have made it. But I crawled, with a broken leg, to a tower, and I jumped off it, and died.

So when you're alone, this is all I suggest to you: Be careful, be aware, be alive.

• Like 6

The only advice I have for lone wolves:

Not only are the voice in your head real, but they are also accurate.

Yes, thats right.

You SHOULD kill that player and wear his feet as a hat!

• Like 5

The extra pair of eyes really do help, and not only in making you feel less paranoid. It has often saved mine and my friends' lives. But yeah, you do tend to feel way too paranoid being alone and geared up at any major location. If not, you get bored, which sometimes is much worse, because it can make you act recklessly.

• Like 2

The extra pair of eyes really do help, and not only in making you feel less paranoid. It has often saved mine and my friends' lives. But yeah, you do tend to feel way too paranoid being alone and geared up at any major location. If not, you get bored, which sometimes is much worse, because it can make you act recklessly.

Well, you said it all. Especially, the part about being paranoid.

Sir, you have my beans..

Well, you said it all. Especially, the part about being paranoid.

Sir, you have my beans..

Being the game that DayZ is, and me being who I am... I am MORE paranoid when someone is with me, and feel MUCH more comfortable alone when i'm out and about taking care of buZiness.

I've run alone since I started playing so I'm pretty much used to it and no I don't wear feet as a hat (although....) but I digress... I've been killed by other players exactly twice and I've only had to kill one other player (douche makes all nice then tries to knife me so I axed him) I mostly kill my self through my own stupidity or fun glitches like falling 2 feet off a rock. I always plan to gear up all nice and head to the population and hunt the bad guys (or the ones that look like bad guys) and help the good guys (but I have yet to find any). Every single encounter I have had with another player has been bad so I take my time collecting my gear and questing for map pieces and the gear I trash falling off stairs and bumping into zeds. Currently I am in a heated search for a black cowboy hat oh and that other piece of the map I'm missing but I just recently took another fall down some stairs (curse the 3 level barn!) so I need to replace my pants now too oh and everything what was in them. Maybe someday I'll run into you and we can run together for a while, it might be interesting to see how the other half plays. Oh and for the record I don't shoot first (yet).

Been lone wolf since the mod, but only since SA have I become paranoid. The bunnies man....the bunnies...there all around whispering...planting ideas, and fears...the bunnies have taken over my thoughts.

• Like 4

Been lone wolf since the mod, but only since SA have I become paranoid. The bunnies man....the bunnies...there all around whispering...planting ideas, and fears...the bunnies have taken over my thoughts.

Zombie bunnies...

ALMOST as scary as ZombieHorse.

http://imgur.com/h7rFoEs

YOU KNOW HES OUT TO GET YOU!!!

On my very first day of playing, my fifth or sixth character found himself happily skipping across a field towards a southern town (forget which) having not long found my first gun. It was bright, sunny, and everything felt good. I got sniped. Obviously. I had no idea where from.

Since that time the paranoia has never left me. I absolutely hate to leave the trees, spend as little time looting as I can afford, and spend ridiculous amounts of time watching a town or city before venturing in. Finding spots where you can remain virtually unseen has become an obsession and has got me out of a couple of tight spots.

Just a personal view, but I think lone wolf play is way more rewarding emotionally as you go through the game. Every decision has to be that much more measured and careful and when you don't pay attention to the little things then getting taken out hurts that much more.

I been playing alone since day 1, i been up there in NW airfield gearing up and been killed when open a door once or two times, yes is has made me more paranoid and always try to avoid big city, but when i run out of supply I scout very carefully and always close the door behind me and with a gun in my hands.

I havent had ANY interaction so far with any players ( only saw my killers) so I do feel lonley sometimes but I do  spend few hours on the servers because in the end I love the game.

Everytime I need to re-gear and need decent weapons I do take the risk and go in places like airfield and military bases, BUT I take what I need if I found a M4 and a gun with enough ammo I am good to go I dont need the fancy guns or the latest and best scope, as long I got what I need to defend myself I can SURVIVE or DIE trying.

I always try to bring at least one buddy with me. Having a guy to back me up has prevented my death more times than I can count.

The people that say teamwork (Leddit) isn't rewarded enough is full of shit.

Ah yes the paranoia ...

Paranoia is the first step to acceptance that you are screwed. If you live through the paranoia stage you then begin to accept you "are" going to die. This is the point where the survival instinct kicks into high gear. You accept you will die but you do not wish to die. The struggle then becomes that of morality. How far will I go to survive? Will my personal moral code and integrity be overcome with murder and debauchery just to live? Like a mirror, once cracked it cannot be uncracked. There are some fates worse than death....

In my opinion DayZ is one of those games where stake is so high that you have to team up only with  people  that are good at game and shares your intrests in game (banditing, KoS, "heroing around", suriving etc.) or to not team with anyone becouse it will get you killed more then you would be alone.

It's like playing Arena PvP in World of Warcraft for ranking for me. You don't do it with nice friendly people who suck at game but with assholes that can play.

Well, that guy I vaguely mentioned that called the airfield, "Sniper Paradise?" Well he was shot. Literally seconds after he gave me my first gun in DayZ (with ammo, signaling extreme trust), he was shot through the head. That marked the beginning of my paranoia. We were at the town south of the NE Airfield. Just last night, I accidentally shot a guy and knocked him out when I panicked. It had been a long time since I've seen a person, and I guess I just didn't know what to do. I patched him up and fed his body food and water before offering to find a defib for him. His buddy spawned in, and shot me when I started to talk to him. I was also threatened at gunpoint earlier. Look, I'm serious when I say the zombies are good. Zombies can't shoot you. They make loud noises. They don't betray you. They try to kill you, but it takes a long time. Humans are worse than zombies in DayZ. If this logic worked in a real zombie apocalypse, then everyone would die within the first year. It's quite awful. I DID shoot an innocent man, but he was looking the way I came  out a window with an M4 raised, so that couldn't have been good.

I don't trust anyone who isn't in a Skype call with me. If (when) I start a clan, mainly designated to trade, when it comes to ammo and weapons, we will put them in a pre-determined location.

Sometimes I think it's good to go alone.

One flaw as a solo player you fail to mention is security. You simply can't afford to do some shit as a solo guy (atm) and hope to live. For example I don't loot an airfield solo, that's just suicide.

One flaw as a solo player you fail to mention is security. You simply can't afford to do some shit as a solo guy (atm) and hope to live. For example I don't loot an airfield solo, that's just suicide.

I've only gone to an airfield once with a teammate, and we were separated for a brief time. I have gone to the International Airfield three times and the NE Airfield dozens of times, and I have survived almost any encounter. I play on servers with 10-20 people, I don't know if that sets the bar, but I survive, albeit paranoid.

I've only gone to an airfield once with a teammate, and we were separated for a brief time. I have gone to the International Airfield three times and the NE Airfield dozens of times, and I have survived almost any encounter. I play on servers with 10-20 people, I don't know if that sets the bar, but I survive, albeit paranoid.

I am pretty paranoid because of my own behavior. I camp the living shit out of airfields from all sorts of positions, then stalk and kill the looters, their patterns are predictable so I just set up in their next position and wait. There's no way to prepare for it, there's a million bushes, trees and positions you will NOT see a guy in TTSKO preparing an ambush for you... and that's why I don't do it, at least on populated servers (20+), chances of someone being like me are too high.

Lone Wolfing offers me freedom and in my opinion better immersion. 

Ive played in groups from large to small, novice to expert.. and it always ends up being 2 things: KOS until it gets boring, or do what that 1 guy running his mouth in the clan wants to do all the time. I mean dont get me wrong, this game is absolutely hilarious in a group. Ive laughed literally all night long with friends. But I found myself getting bored from either running all over the place just to squad up, or sitting in one spot for way too long waiting for people to squad up with. It can make it so that you dont care as much about dying, your friends will help you get your gear back or in the least you will eventually and probably quickly gear back up with the help of your friends. Ive done both for long periods of time and I just find that in a group the game can get stale faster, not always but it can. Its also true of lone wolfing, but that depends entirely on the person. I love the feeling of being all alone, not knowing who is looking at me waiting for that open kill shot. I can stalk players for hours, with them never knowing I am even there which just could not happen as easily with other players with me. When I die, it stings. A lot. I know my chances of running back and getting my gear are slim to none. I know when I spawn back in I will be all alone with no back up on the way. No rides. No help. Just me, and my wits to keep me alive. So far only 1 death on hours of gameplay.. I cant wait to feel that sting and breathe in deep knowing its time to start all over again. :)

• Like 1

Very similar to my experience so far after one week of playing. I stuck to the north, and went days without seeing anyone while I learned the terrain and the gear, which was great. But the server I like is gaining people these days and the north is crowded all of the sudden. I like the challenge of more people now that I've got the hang of things, but being alone is tough- I fought off an ambush at NEAF yesterday and killed my attacker (point blank sawed off to the back of his head) but died of my wounds before I could bandage myself. A little bit of help would have gone a long way there. That ambush has made me more paranoid than ever, and the next time I saw someone who could have been perfectly friendly, I fired a few quick shots toward them while I stayed hidden and scared them off.

Always play alone and I love it. You get to keep the loot and you're much more stealthy. Plus in a big group, I'd be more tempted to get in to large fire fights if I saw a rival group.

i lone worlf mostly as only one of my online friends plays dayz this early.

i had a broken leg in elektro, harcore server, for what must have been 5 hours.

LOOKING FOR WOODEN STICKS TO MAKE A SPLINT.

server restart helped me find a morphine later in the hosptial, but damn, i was crawling shitting bricks through death town and couldnt get help from anyone or i'd have been kos'd.

i think we friendly lone wolfs need a sign or a password or something in case we do meet up and have to work together....

i could have used a friendly to help me mend my leg this morning....

Well, when I shot that guy, I was originally heading to a treeline on a hill near the NE Airfield to snipe. Now on this life I plan to do just that. I do need a Mosin with the long-range scope, but I will snipe. I'm tired of being nice for awhile. Now, I'm gonna kill anyone who sees me and has a gun. If they don't have a gun, I'll let them go. But that's that. The paranoia has really got to me. I want to see a person before they see me. I haven't killed a single person in this game, but with the rate things are going now, I think--No, I know-- I'll have blood on my hands. When I have a teammate, I will have him go into the city, get loot, and scram while I provide overwatch, or vise versa. That's how I want things. 2 isn't a huge amount, and I've played MineZ (DayZ in Minecraft) with a certain person for months, and when he gets the game, we will split loot. 2 is not a sacrifice of loot, maybe 3, with 4 people you will have to ration everything out.

I'm not intentionally alone. I just am.

Most of the survivors I meet end up losing their lives or logging. Sometimes I Skype with my UK friends, but they play for like an hour, so I usually find myself alone.

It's quite nerve-wrecking, being out alone for me. I usually love being alone when it comes to this, I mean, I get all the stuff, but still. Nobody can watch your back, nobody can help you. It's you, you, and all you. I eat, drink, and kill alone. I hardly ever find people alive, let alone people I team with. The closest thing I've found to a human so far is a note warning me about bandits. And I usually go to dangerous places, like the International Airfield and military bases. I teamed once with a guy, and he referred to the airfield as "Sniper Paradise." Nobody can watch me while I move in, so I either risk it or spend a very long time checking the treelines and towers. But I've made it out here for awhile, alone.

PROS OF BEING ALONE:

-All the gear to yourself

-Less Obvious

-More Stealthy (Leads back to point number two)

-You can do what you want to do

CONS OF BEING ALONE:

-Nobody can give you supplies if you're running low

-Getting hurt badly (Shot, breaking legs) can be more serious, even fatal.

-Paranoid

-Lonely

This all comes from my opinion. I might kill a friendly survivor out of paranoia. It's more dangerous when you're alone. If you're knocked out or break your legs, or lose alot of blood, your teammate might have Morphine or a Splint for you. If your mate has supplies that you don't, they could very well save your life. I don't like being alone, I would rather be with a group or even with one person. I keep moving, and try not to lose my life. I often will hunt bandits, and that is extremely dangerous alone unless you have a huge advantage. But once again, you are more stealthy, and you don't have to follow orders (unless you're the leader of the group). I remember I was poisoned, shot, and left for dead by bandits. If I had a teammate, I would have made it. But I crawled, with a broken leg, to a tower, and I jumped off it, and died.

So when you're alone, this is all I suggest to you: Be careful, be aware, be alive.

This is called "the game working as it's supposed to". :D

• Like 2

I will help you out, as lonewolf (murderer) is my speciality.

1: KNOW your server. KNOW the restart schedule!

2: Find a good bush. Around 300-500m away from your position.

3: Remember the location REALLY well. I mean it, you should be able to tell me that facing south, 200m away 30 degrees left, there are EXACTLY these features etc.

4: Drop your pack and main weapon.

5: Empty out all your pockets into backpack - if backpack has no more room, youre traveling too heavy imo.

6: Only having your clothing, sidearm, 1 extra magazine for sidearm, and 1 bandage (or stack of rags) - speedloot the zone.

7: KNOW what youre there for. Don't dawdle. Don't grab junk. Don't grab things you don't NEED.

8: DO NOT run straight back to your pack when you're done. Take a detour, make sure you weren't followed.

9: If, in the process of looting, you got killed - do not worry, you marked your stash well and will make your way back with LOTS of time to spare - see point 1.

Playing alone is exciting, especially when you decide you want to pick on that group of 5 people and watch them squirm.

Usually you end up dead, but you took out a few people greater in number than you and that's so satisfying. 

• Like 1