alleycat

Is there anything being planned that incentivizes not shooting on sight?

cause  who or what  is the arbiter to decide that a penalty should be incurred? are you saying no kills are ever justified? who decides if it was justified or not? all the humanity systems that have been tired over the years HAVE FAILED.  In this game you are being hunted by A.I. = zombies &  I = Human Antagonists . All the tears in China are not going to stop you facing adversaries in this game.  your story ends when you die for what ever reason, you maybe weep a wee tear & then you respawn and get another go.  there are no happy endings in the zombie apocalypse. In a way it's like real life, NO ONE IS GETTING OUT ALIVE.

you dont get it. i dont have a problem with people kosing... i kosed a lot when i started playing this game.. like i kosed 2-4 weeks without any regret, because i thought this is a shooter.

but then i saw the potential in this game.

and... kos BELONGS into the game. but KOS cant be without consequence. do you know how many people have psychological problems because they killed someone. totally

regardless if it was self defence or not.

but i am talking about guys who go on a server and when they leave the server after 1 hour they have a kill count of 20, because they just go onto the server to kill other player-instances.

it is UNCOMMON behaviour even in an apocalyptic scenario. and they shall do it. they shall kill 100 guys in 1 second with a gas canister bomb, what ever.

but... they shall have an impact on the gameplay after they did that. not even a big one. just the things i stated in my initial post.

it is UNCOMMON behaviour even in an apocalyptic scenario. and they shall do it. they shall kill 100 guys in 1 second with a gas canister bomb, what ever.

but... they shall have an impact on the gameplay after they did that. not even a big one. just the things i stated in my initial post.

Okay seriously, can we stop pretending we know how people would act in a scenario that has NEVER HAPPENED IN OUR TIME?

• Like 2

As Gerander has correctly stated, if you wanna add something like a sanity meter than killing zombies, should also come into the equation.  What would we be left with?  KoSers shaking like a shitting dog cuz they killed players and carebears doing the same cuz they killed zombies...  then you'd be back here moaning like fuck!

You say it's uncommon, but how do we know?  Has anyone got first hand experience with a zombie apocalypse?  In guys like RealMeatShields zombie reality ,people go round killing each other at the first chance they get.  Who is to say he is wrong...

Okay seriously, can we stop pretending we know how people would act in a scenario that has NEVER HAPPENED IN OUR TIME?

erm....oklahoma flood ??? ---> some RAIDS & much helping out each other, but not EVERYONE KILLING EVERYONE

so realisticly how many of us wouldn't have a mental break when an infected person comes spewing blood at us gurrgling like a retarded fish man? 

if they ever add going insane to the game many other things other then killing people should break ones mind.

i never said they should add going insane... if u read my post i actually DENIED that they should add "going insane"

you either cant read or are stupid as fuck.

1. i got kos'd probably 4 times in the last 5 months, i dont really have a problem with dying in this game, you totally have the wrong picture of me.

i killed like 10 people in the last week. 2 were self defense and 8 of them i sniped after i witnessed them grouping vs. solo players and kosing them.

BUT I WANT TO BE ABLE TO SEE AN EFFECT IN MY CHAR THAT I KILLED 10 PEOPLE. AND I WANT OTHER PLAYERS, WHEN I TALK TO THEM,

THAT THEY CAN SOMEHOW FEEL THAT I HAVE NOT BEEN MOMMAS BEST SON.

2. i am NOT SAYING clanwars arent desirable. they are just as desirable as a natural reaction of humans to commit huge amount of killing for (what?) satisfaction?

Funny how everyone around here who is against KoSing usually admits to killing people, but its always something along the lines of:

"I shot them, but I knew they were bandits so it was ok"

"I shot them, but they were in a group clearly going against solo players so it was ok"

"I shot them, but they were server hoppers so it was ok"

"I shot them, but they were in a large group, which means they're bandits, so it was ok"

Just making an observation...

Edit:

erm....oklahoma flood ??? ---> some RAIDS & much helping out each other, but not EVERYONE KILLING EVERYONE

What about this is apocalyptic in any way whatsoever? how does a flood in oklahoma affect the rest of humanity as a whole.

oh wait, IT DOESN'T

and btw, you DO know there's such thing as "multiquote" right? or go back and edit your post in such a way that doesn't make you look like a fool by triple posting?

just sayin.

Edited by DeatHTaX
  • Like 1

There's no reason to go round trying to engage in conversation.  No, I don't want a can of sardines, no it's ok, I don't need a canteen, water is plentiful.  No, I'm not gonna tell you where I'm going...  it's the same questions over and over again when you interact with people in game.  Shooting on sight is preferable to having to listen to you whittle on, can't hear ya when your dead.

You say you want more player interaction, yet you dismiss clanwars as not desirable...  You have no idea what it is you really want, you just want people to stop shooting you!

and its a valid playstyle to do it. i did it myself. are you an imbecile? i dont want u to stop kosing.

i just want to have realistic consequences implemented for doing it.

i want, if i chose to play a kos-playstyle char again, to suffer from these little adjustments, because i think they are realistic.

Edited by Ovomaltine

Funny how everyone around here who is against KoSing usually admits to killing people, but its always something along the lines of:

"I shot them, but I knew they were bandits so it was ok"

"I shot them, but they were in a group clearly going against solo players so it was ok"

"I shot them, but they were server hoppers so it was ok"

"I shot them, but they were in a large group, which means they're bandits, so it was ok"

Just making an observation...

well your observed very poorly then.

if u read my lines then you will exactly see that i said the opposite. i didnt JUSTIFY my killings or said they were OK.

they were NOT OK so -> I ASK FOR THOSE CONSEQUENCES FOR MY CHARACTER ALSO.

ARE YOU ALL 12 year olds with no brains?

Edited by Ovomaltine

you either cant read or are stupid as fuck.

1. i got kos'd probably 4 times in the last 5 months, i dont really have a problem with dying in this game, you totally have the wrong picture of me.

i killed like 10 people in the last week. 2 were self defense and 8 of them i sniped after i witnessed them grouping vs. solo players and kosing them.

That sure sounds like justification in a positive light for killing to me

• Like 1

and its a valid playstyle to do it. i did it myself. are you an imbecile? i dont want u to stop kosing.

i want, if i chose to play a kos-playstyle char again, to suffer from these little adjustments, because i think they are realistic.

the consequences your asking for would have to be put on for more then just killing players, you are asking for a sanity sort of deal but more magical in that it only effects people who kill other players?

• Like 3

some people wanted some kind of marker for bandits or murderers. i dont think there should be an artificial red dot above their head or sth.

but maybe when u are near (1-10m) a guy who murdered like 5-10 people minimum, then with a certain probability (40% per 30 seconds for example, increasing with higher kill count) you get nervous, you get a heartbeat, you feel uncomfortable (status messages).

so you dont see if someone is a murderer upright, but there is a chance you might feel that there is something strange about a person. ofc if u do that with 5 kills minimum, and that guy lives for like 30 hours already, and had to defend himself 5 times then this adds another positive mechanism. because you can ofc think of that... and ask that guy "why he is making you nervous"... and then he might tell you nothing or he might tell u that he has hard times getting over 5 people he had to kill because they attacked him.

AND THEN u can believe him... and TRUST him ... but maybe he is lying and he killed 5 guys in the last 5 minutes and is just about to kill you.

i think this way it would reflect the worlds circumstances in a more realistic way.

so in the end. when you get close to somebody and you instantly "feel nervous", see evil facial expression, then you should be more careful and maybe evade the contact.

and when u get close to somebody and after some minutes you "feel uncomfortable", you should also be careful and maybe ask what the guys/girls story is.

Unfortunately it is very difficult for a game to simulate those "cold eyes and the emotionless expression" that you would get in a real scenario. Some people just give you the creeps, and you make an excuse to leave if you meet them.

But I think it can come across in-game to an extent over the direct coms. I've seen two videos this week of people trying to "prove" that being friendly to people in DayZ is worthless and only gets you killed. Both videos had one thing in common: the guys making them sounded really insincere, distrusting and even semi-aggressive in the tone of their voice while they "experimented with being "friendly" (and they both ended up getting killed by the person they were trying to befriend, so that's two things in common). One of them was like: "Hey you! Stop immediately! Come here! I'm friendly! Now we're going to trade! Give me something!"

Personally, I would have run away from this guy, but the character in the video punched him out instead. If people have no social graces whatsoever, it's probably best they do stick to KoS, because they honestly aren't going to get very far with any other method of play.

Edited by Pillock
  • Like 1

That sure sounds like justification in a positive light for killing to me

i dont know what point you are trying to make? killing is a negatively attributed action in any case.

and why do i have to kill guys who kill other guys, what reason did i have? i just suspected them of kosing and then i killed them.

how is killing to be put in a positive light in ANY case? i dont get you.

killing is something is frowned upon very hard (moral wise). so it just doesnt fit into a open world scenario that you dont have to

bear the consequences if u kill someone. it does change your mindset. and that should be reflected by the engine.

its a simple request for adjusting the engine to reflect those psychological impacts on a standard human being.

because i guess the players (i speak of the virtual player) in dayz are not all by concept supposed to be supernaturals who dont "care" about killing,

and they are not all supposed to be sick/ill psychopaths who take fun in killing.

and killing has in many cases consequences you cant deny:

http://www.ptsd.va.gov/public/PTSD-overview/basics/how-common-is-ptsd.asp

the consequences your asking for would have to be put on for more then just killing players, you are asking for a sanity sort of deal but more magical in that it only effects people who kill other players?

i am asking for implementing some kind of psychological traumata based on the amount of killings you have DONE OR WITNESSED.

to make it more clear to everyone who cant read my other posts for which reasons ever... :rolleyes:

if there is trauma from eating rotten stuff in form of a disease, then why is there no trauma from seeing shocking or scary events.

its a game. that means you as a real person can laugh your ass off about killing 100 people again. but you character should suffer a bit.

Edited by Ovomaltine

I don't kill on sight, mainly cuz I'm such a shit shot.  I just don't want those that do so to be punished unfairly.  If you wanna go down the route of consequences then killing Zombies should also score points on the sane-o-meter.  You mean to tell me hacking through a 100 zombies aint gonna leave a mental scar? 

i dont know what point you are trying to make? killing is a negatively attributed action in any case.

and why do i have to kill guys who kill other guys, what reason did i have? i just suspected them of kosing and then i killed them.

how is killing to be put in a positive light in ANY case? i dont get you.

killing is something is frowned upon very hard (moral wise). so it just doesnt fit into a open world scenario that you dont have to

bear the consequences if u kill someone. it does change your mindset. and that should be reflected by the engine.

its a simple request for adjusting the engine to reflect those psychological impacts on a standard human being.

because i guess the players (i speak of the virtual player) in dayz are not all by concept supposed to be supernaturals who dont "care" about killing,

and they are not all supposed to be sick/ill psychopaths who take fun in killing.

and killing has in many cases consequences you cant deny:

http://www.ptsd.va.gov/public/PTSD-overview/basics/how-common-is-ptsd.asp

yes but you can only base your judgments off of what you know from a world that hasn't basically "ended". The only reason people are labeled "insane" for murdering and being okay with it is because we live in a society where murder is considered taboo. What happens when you live in a society where murder is completely acceptable and of no societal consequence?

your argument makes assumptions on data and instances that are completely unavailable 

Edited by DeatHTaX

Please read the Rules and Guidelines before posting.

Failure to follow the rules will result in punishment(s); I have already warned everyone for this.

• Like 1

Unfortunately it is very difficult for a game to simulate those "cold eyes and the emotionless expression" that you would get in a real scenario. Some people just give you the creeps, and you make an excuse to leave if you meet them.

But I think it can come across to an extent over the direct coms. I've seen two videos this week of people trying to "prove" that being friendly to people in DayZ is worthless and only gets you killed. Both videos had one thing in common: the guys making the videos both sounded really insincere, distrusting and even semi-aggressive in the tone of their voice while they were trying experiment with being "friendly" (and they both ended up getting killed by the person they were trying to befriend, so that's two things in common). One of them was like: "Hey you! Stop immediately! Come here! I'm friendly! Now we're going to trade! Give me something!"

Personally, I would have run away from this guy, but the character in the video punched him out instead. If people have no social graces whatsoever, it's probably best they do stick to KoS, because they really won't get very far with any other method of play.

i mistrust everyone in the game (except when i play with friends i know from the real world :) ) because killing on sight is too rewarding at the moment.

but i do want to tell other people "hey guys stop kos, please start trusting each other, we can have peace all"

thats totally not what i want, and i also dont know why some numbnuts want to put those words in my mouth in this thread.

i just want there to be psychological consequences for certain actions. period.

yes but you can only base your judgments off of what you know from a world that hasn't basically "ended". The only reason people are labeled "insane" for murdering and being okay with it is because we live in a society where murder is considered taboo. What happens when you live in a society where murder is completely acceptable and of no societal consequence?

your argument makes assumptions on data and instances that are completely unavailable 

??? dayz takes place in a country in the soviet union ... now one question to you. do you consider the soviet union part of our planet?

and next question, do you know a single society on our planet where murder is not considered taboo?

thx and bye

I don't kill on sight, mainly cuz I'm such a shit shot.  I just don't want those that do so to be punished unfairly.  If you wanna go down the route of consequences then killing Zombies should also score points on the sane-o-meter.  You mean to tell me hacking through a 100 zombies aint gonna leave a mental scar? 

lol it will leave a mental scar... did i tell otherwise??? did i neglect any kind of traumata which comes from involvement with zombies? show me that sentence of mine pls...

so then i want the hunger and falling damage removed, because i also dont want to be punished unfairly for doing stuff i like to do:

- jumping off high buildings

- not eating for 6 weeks

its my PLAYSTYLE BRAH!!!

So someone who likes to shoot people in a game where you can shoot people means that they are a sadist in real life? Hmm. You sound like someone who just took a psych 101 course and is now a doctor wannabe.

Honestly, this game was deisgned around interactions that range from friendly encounters to people blowing your face off for no reason. It's the up-in-the-air stuff that makes this game so interesting.

The problem I'm finding, lately, is that the KOS when players are fully geared is way too prevalent. There is no tension anymore because it's now always going to be a shootout.

If you're rocking a firearm I'm probably going to blow you away unless you very quickly yell "I'm not dangerous". Chances are you won't be able to make it close enough for me to hear you before I kill you. I work way too hard to equip myself with what I have and I'm not going to lose it for being naive approaching someone kitted out like me.

That said, I love going to new spawn areas and killing bambi hunters, or chilling in Balota and waiting for other decked out dudes to test my skills against, possibly losing it all.

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/climate_desk/2014/02/internet_troll_personality_study_machiavellianism_narcissism_psychopathy.html

Honestly...the best way would be a METRIC FUCKTON OF ZOMBIES. You would have to tread carefully with your shots. and truly decide if a player is worth using ammo on.

• Like 1

I think the best way to solve getting killed on sight is to stop being so easy to be spotted...  

I'm relatively new to the game, only a couple of months in, but I've never been killed on sight.  I've seen a good number of other players, and have successfully avoided them and as such avoided being shot.  

To accomplish this, I pick my routes very carefully into dangerous areas if I must enter into them.  I will observe my target insertion carefully before risking crossing the open field required to get to my entry point.  I will cover my tracks, closing doors behind me, and will observe as much of my area of responsibility as I can before moving to the next building.  When traversing from location to location, alone or in groups, you should cover your movement, observe where you are going, take the route that presents the least likelihood of danger if you want to avoid danger.  I will not travel along roads or paths as much as possible, taking the harder route when I can with this goal in mind.  

TL;DR

The way to survive is to protect yourself from death in its variety of forms.  The best way to not get shot is to avoid getting shot at.  The incentive is having not been killed or even been detected by other players.

Edited by tolan

Honestly...the best way would be a METRIC FUCKTON OF ZOMBIES. You would have to tread carefully with your shots. and truly decide if a player is worth using ammo on.

This x1000.  I went back to play the Mod today, found a vanilla server and jesus christ!!!, it was almost overwhelming.  I had gotten used to being able to sprint freely I had forgot how agressive the infected were and they were everywhere.  I couldn't even cross fields without having to crawl or sneak by