Cap'n (DayZ)

SKS vs M4

Alright, ever since the introduction of the SKS in the last major patch, we now have two major intermediate, medium ranged weapons, which tend to be used about equally. Because they're arguably the two most popular choices for a primary weapon, I thought I might as well compare them.

In the first corner, we have the M4. It's been around since release, and it is a love and hate relationship. Attachments are plentiful. ACOG, two red dots, and two different iron sights? Nice. A variable rainbow of magazines and handguards, with the added plus of fair commonality in military bases. Seems like a solid choice, right? From my experience, it depends. First of all, I'm being blunt, it's accuracy is absolute shit. Sort of negates the need for an ACOG, when I can't hit jack diddly past 150m. Me and a friend once came under fire in the Balota ATC by two men armed with M4's, both on opposite sides of the airfield. They both emptied roughly 30 rounds, before we went prone, and another 90 while we layed down. Missed every shot. We proceeded to go downstairs and make a run for the other side of the airfield. Again, they both fired for about 30 seconds and missed terribly. They were still kicking up rounds at our feet when we got past the fence. In my mind, this is absolutely pathetic. It's also hella rare to boot, and the sight of it alone labels you as a KOS'er.

And in the other corner, we have the SKS. Fairly new, it was introduced in the last major patch. Unlike the M4, it's ammo is moderately rare, and it doesn't have a whole lot of attachments. We do have the PU scope, which makes a nice medium range optic, and the bayonet, which is pretty much useless. It carries a measly ten rounds, which is still better than that of the Mosin or B95. While it lacks the accuracy of the Mosin, it still shoots better than the M4. Despite the low capacity, I can still manage to squeeze of ten rounds in a very short time. At medium range, this thing dominates. With it's improved accuracy, higher damage and range, it beats the M4 past 50 meters every time. Plus, it's not too difficult to find in military and farm settings.

In my mind, the SKS is superior to the M4. While lacking the capacity and attachment choices, it still has better range, accuracy, and damage. It can even hold it's own fairly well in urban environments.

So, what are your thoughts?

Edited by Cap'n
  • Like 2

My preferred solution is an sks on my back and the M4 in hands. A powerfull combination. That said when pushed I keep the M4 and give the sks to a buddy.

Well to be honest the M4A1 needs to be tweeked to match how truly decent a weapon it is. To be honest the damage doesn't even come close to the real thing at least thats what allot of ppl are saying. And its not an M4 its a completely different sub set of AR model in general. It borrows from the M4 but thats it. M4A1 is a more versatile version.

SKS is an out of date Russian weapon and to be honest any American weapon could match any soviet weapon in terms of power. Again weapon damage is out of place big time. It takes MORE hits to kill some one with a machete in game right now than it does with an axe. The axe should be one shot one kill however a mechete is like a hilly billy version of a samurai sword. On good hit to the head and anything should go down.

I can understand having an M4 IF, and only IF you have both MP attachments in pristine condition and an ACOG with a double mag. Otherwise the SKS with a mere PU is a superior choice.

At range at about 300 meters, an M4 won't cause bleeding, only shock damage (ate 2 bullets, ruined my damaged vest, but didn't bleed). 2 SKS bullets at that range will most likely knock you out and cause bleeding.

That said, the M4 is much better at dealing with groups of people, and a fully kitted one is definitely able to shoot at targets past 200/300 meters reliably (again, if you have 2x magpul and acog all in pristine). It also makes less sound, the SKS announces itself to a wide area so it's not much of a subterfuge weapon.

The M4 is far easier to use close up, and doesn't punish you for spraying. Even though the SKS is semi auto you have to make your shots count due to the relatively low magazine compared to the M4.

Overall, the SKS requires much less scavenging and brings quite a bit to the table.. if you can manage the recoil to maintain with the M4s fire rate, you should most often be able to come on top.

But in this game there's a few scenarios where people start shooting at the same time at each other.. typically the guy having a first shot advantage wins, regardless what weapon he's got.

Edited by Infiltrator
  • Like 2

I can understand having an M4 IF, and only IF you have both MP attachments in pristine condition and an ACOG with a double mag. Otherwise the SKS with a mere PU is a superior choice.

At range at about 300 meters, an M4 won't cause bleeding, only shock damage (ate 2 bullets, ruined my damaged vest, but didn't bleed). 2 SKS bullets at that range will most likely knock you out and cause bleeding.

That said, the M4 is much better at dealing with groups of people, and a fully kitted one is definitely able to shoot at targets past 200/300 meters reliably (again, if you have 2x magpul and acog all in pristine). It also makes less sound, the SKS announces itself to a wide area so it's not much of a subterfuge weapon.

The M4 is far easier to use close up, and doesn't punish you for spraying. Even though the SKS is semi auto you have to make your shots count due to the relatively low magazine compared to the M4.

Overall, the SKS requires much less scavenging and brings quite a bit to the table.. if you can manage the recoil to maintain with the M4s fire rate, you should most often be able to come on top.

But in this game there's a few scenarios where people start shooting at the same time at each other.. typically the guy having a first shot advantage wins, regardless what weapon he's got.

Decent condition mag pull attachments are very rare to find atm. Iv only been able to find some badly damaged ones for right now.

The M4 has 2 fire modes, automatic and single shot, which does make the M4 a bearable medium range weapon.
I prefer the SKS, but have yet to kill someone with it. How many bullets does it take to kill someone? Dayz-wiki says 1-4 to the body, last time I tried, 5 shots didn't bring the guy down. Possible missed a few.

Edited by ekd

The M4 has 2 fire modes, automatic and single shot, which does make the M4 a bearable medium range weapon.

I prefer the SKS, but have yet to kill someone with it. How many bullets does it take to kill someone? Dayz-wiki says 1-4 to the body, last time I tried, 5 shots didn't bring the guy down. Possible missed a few.

Not sure about that but i know a friend of mine last night that managed to bring two ppl down with a single clip from his FNX pistol. Its a good gun if you got the clips.

Decent condition mag pull attachments are very rare to find atm. Iv only been able to find some badly damaged ones for right now.

Currently have an M4 with both pristine magpul attachments, a pristine acog and bipod (and a pristine suppressor but ofc thats just for show atm). Can reliably tap-fire anyone at about 300 meters, more if proned with a bipod.

Don't look for attachments.. take weapons from people who gathered them for you...

Both can be just as effective -  if you know how to use them.

A lot of people tend to rock the M4 in full auto all the time, long or short range. That throws off the accuracy considerably. If you fire it in repetition (single shot), then you've got much more control over where your rounds are hitting. Sure, you might not get as many rounds downrange, but they will be more accurate. Real life effective range of M16/M4 based weapons is 300-400m as well. I have no qualms using the M4, and when I do I try to get the suppressor, bipod, MP stock and one of the red dot sites. I avoid the ACOG as it induces too much tunnel vision.

I've only had brief dealings with the SKS, but I love it. SKS is my choice any day, even with no attachments. Reaches out past the M4 with more punch (as expected being 7.62 vs 5.56) with irons and drops guys like mad. Since the SKS was introduced I've found more SKS ammo than any others. Even close range I prefer the SKS as I know it's gonna drop the guy, provided I hit him on the first shot.

Currently have an M4 with both pristine magpul attachments, a pristine acog and bipod (and a pristine suppressor but ofc thats just for show atm). Can reliably tap-fire anyone at about 300 meters, more if proned with a bipod.

Don't look for attachments.. take weapons from people who gathered them for you...

Naw your asking to be pwned if you go looking for trouble. I let it find me rather than go getting into something i cant get out of.

Edited by Deathlove

Both can be just as effective -  if you know how to use them.

A lot of people tend to rock the M4 in full auto all the time, long or short range. That throws off the accuracy considerably. If you fire it in repetition (single shot), then you've got much more control over where your rounds are hitting. Sure, you might not get as many rounds downrange, but they will be more accurate. Real life effective range of M16/M4 based weapons is 300-400m as well. I have no qualms using the M4, and when I do I try to get the suppressor, bipod, MP stock and one of the red dot sites. I avoid the ACOG as it induces too much tunnel vision.

I've only had brief dealings with the SKS, but I love it. SKS is my choice any day, even with no attachments. Reaches out past the M4 with more punch (as expected being 7.62 vs 5.56) with irons and drops guys like mad. Since the SKS was introduced I've found more SKS ammo than any others. Even close range I prefer the SKS as I know it's gonna drop the guy, provided I hit him on the first shot.

Well from what i understand  the only reason everyone rocks it full auto is because its not set up for single, triple, and full auto burst yet.

I've had the opposite experience to you here - my M4 can reliably hit target up to 500-600 metres within 1-2 shots (there's a little spread at that sort of range, but not much), and the one time I ever used the SKS it was absolute shite. Couldn't hit a stationary zombie at 50 metres.

I have the magpul buttstock, but not handguard, and an ACOG sight. Everything it either pristine or worn.

Naw your asking to be pwned if you go looking for trouble. I let it find me rather than go getting into something i cant get out of.

Have this character for about a week now. Going into one of the AF buildings is asking for trouble. Patiently waiting on the outskirts on the other hand brings great rewards. I've sniped so many server hoppers it's not even funny. When the coast is clear, I just loot the bodies. I've thrown my mosin (but kept the pristine LRS/compensator/bipod) and took an M4 with all pristine parts but one, I luckily had exactly what it lacked, a pristine magpul handguard I kept from one of the bodies. Decided to give it a try. It's not bad so far, though I hate it how the amount of bullets required for a kill typically don't leave anything useful to pick from the guy. Also, 8/10 times, the guy you just M4'd to death isn't dead. That does however open the door to torture and humiliation.

Edited by Infiltrator
  • Like 1

Have this character for about a week now. Going into one of the AF buildings is asking for trouble. Patiently waiting on the outskirts on the other hand brings great rewards. I've sniped so many server hoppers it's not even funny. When the coast is clear, I just loot the bodies. I've thrown my mosin (but kept the pristine LRS/compensator/bipod) and took an M4 with all pristine parts but one, I luckily had exactly what it lacked, a pristine magpul handguard I kept from one of the bodies. Decided to give it a try. It's not bad so far, though I hate it how the amount of bullets required for a kill typically don't leave anything useful to pick from the guy. Also, 8/10 times, the guy you just M4'd to death isn't dead. That does however open the door to torture and humiliation.

Normally in this case you run up and hit him in the head with an axe to make sure.

Normally in this case you run up and hit him in the head with an axe to make sure.

That's not why I keep detergent, rotten fruit, handcuffs and a hacksaw in my inventory :D

Though I only do this to people that attack me first, when I am the assailant I give them a quick death.

Edited by Infiltrator
  • Like 1

That's not why I keep detergent, rotten fruit, handcuffs and a hacksaw in my inventory :D

Though I only do this to people that attack me first, when I am the assailant I give them a quick death.

wouldn't risk playing around like that you never know when some one might be off on the side watching you.

M4 has 40 round mags, faster reload, full auto for close quarters and with bipod and ACOG very accurate on longer distances (although currently lacking the punching power of rifles).

However there is just no getting around the fact that the SKS is one sweet looking gun (this picture contains the folding bayonet, and while I hope they eventually include that, I actually think it looks better without it) :

SKS_-_Ryssland_-_AM.045810.jpg

That is a gun I could carry all day.

• Like 1

M4 has 40 round mags, faster reload, full auto for close quarters and with bipod and ACOG very accurate on longer distances (although currently lacking the punching power of rifles).

However there is just no getting around the fact that the SKS is one sweet looking gun (this picture contains the folding bayonet, and while I hope they eventually include that, I actually think it looks better without it) :

well to be honest all guns should do about equal damage unless there higher caliber rounds or specialized round types.

And most melee SHOULD be one shot one kill to the head which they are not and its very inaccurate at least on the melee side of things.

That's not the gun currently in the game, this one, the M59/66 is:

Yugo_SKS.jpg

Being an Ex-yugoslav myself, I'm very glad that bethesda added our own variation of the SKS to the game instead of the stock russian one.

The difference is the muzzle, which is shaped like that because it can launch grenades as well (yea I guess we're crazy).

So yes that means that the SKS will probably be able to lob grenades at some point.

Edited by Infiltrator

Any chance to introduce modern  SKS  on military buildings ?

SKS-Multcam.jpg

TVSTK66169OD.jpg

The Russian military has modernized many SKS rifles for DMR work.

Any chance to introduce modern  SKS  on military buildings ?

The Russian military has modernized many SKS rifles for DMR work.

No chance, this isn't battlefield with everyone being spec ops ninja l337 death angel with mega lazors and handgrip of accuracy +3. Both Civilian but proven AND military weapons make dayz what it is.

Edited by Infiltrator

Don't use acog on the m4. Unless you're laying prone with a bipod its a waste. The m4 is best used as a close to medium range assault weapon with magpul parts and a red dot. It *is* accurate if you're properly kitted and know what you're doing.

I carry m4 w/ red dot and a mosin with long range scope. This covers pretty much any situation.

Don't use acog on the m4.

True if you don't have both pristine MP attachments. Otherwise, Acog is better.