Sign in to follow this  
Sir Schmoopy

unconscious timer?

In real you don't see any timer :P For me its fine like is now.

In real you wake up "instantly" and aren't bored waiting around staring at your eyelids.

I would love having a timer.

Edited by Ryzen
  • Like 1

Either way there is also times when you can't get back to conciousness without the help of someone else. I think having no timer makes it more exciting.

Realism perspective: Yes, you do wake up instantly because as far as you know last time you just closed your eyes.

Game-play perspective: It is tedious, I feel the system needs a mayor improvement. Be it a timer or something else, let's say your screen says in which state of unconscious you are so you have an idea what needs to be done. Here is an example:

"You are slightly unconscious"
-You just need to wait a few time before you character gets back up.

"You are heavily unconscious"
-You are in need of medical attention for you to be able to wake up.

And for the love of god, please change the screen when you die. I can't count how many times I have been killed while unconscious but since my screen was saying I was "unconscious" and not dead, I was hoping my character would get back up.

The system above could also work with the new system where you can check someone else pulse.

This is Alpha, things are not worked out yet, I do feel this needs mayor improvements for the future GAMEPLAY wise. They also need to fix the ability to chat even though you are death or unconscious.

In real you wake up "instantly" and aren't bored waiting around staring at your eyelids.

No, in real, when you fall unconscious you dont "wake up" when you want and you dont know when you wake up or IF you even wake up. You don't see how many blood you have or anything, just loosing conscious, bah and da end - sleep time. Dont see reason why in that case should be timer here.

Edited by TokumeiSennin

No you don't. Have you ever been knocked unconscious?

Several things happen as you regain consciousness. First you begin to be able to hear things, typically with a roaring in your ears that fades and lets you start to make out what is going on around you. Then the sensation of your body starts to return but you are still not able to actually move or control it. After that your vision might return and then you will start to regain vision and the ability to move although typically you will be jerky and clumsy until your fully regain consciousness. It is by no means instantaneous. 

Either way there is also times when you can't get back to conciousness without the help of someone else. I think having no timer makes it more exciting.

This.

Its all preference based, I'd rather have some sort of notification that I will revive eventually or die without intervention.

No, in real, when you fall unconscious you dont "wake up" when you want and you dont know when you wake up or IF you even wake up. You don't see how many blood you have or anything, just loosing conscious, bah and da end - sleep time. Dont see reason why in that case should be timer here.

But from your perspective, you wake up instantly.  You have no recollection of the time that elapsed while being unconscious.  Obviously this is impossible to replicate in the game, a compromise of a timer would suffice.

No you don't. Have you ever been knocked unconscious?

Several things happen as you regain consciousness. First you begin to be able to hear things, typically with a roaring in your ears that fades and lets you start to make out what is going on around you. Then the sensation of your body starts to return but you are still not able to actually move or control it. After that your vision might return and then you will start to regain vision and the ability to move although typically you will be jerky and clumsy until your fully regain consciousness. It is by no means instantaneous. 

Your argument is focused on when an individual is considered fully conscious.  That was not my goal in my argument.  I was just pointing out that you have no recollection of time while you are fully unconscious.  How the game is now, you instantly wake up; I wouldn't mind if the process was slowler as you described.  But again, this is after the unconscious period we're discussing.

Edited by Ryzen

But from your perspective, you wake up instantly.  You have no recollection of the time that elapsed while being unconscious.  Obviously this is impossible to replicate in the game, a compromise of a timer would suffice.

Your argument is focused on when an individual is considered fully conscious.  That was not my goal in my argument.  I was just pointing out that you have no recollection of time while you are fully unconscious.  How the game is now, you instantly wake up; I wouldn't mind if the process was slowler as you described.  But again, this is after the unconscious period we're discussing.

Well, to be fair you have no recollection of what happened while your character was unconscious and you wouldn't have of time unless you are staring at a clock which is 4th wall breaking. When you are unconcious you have no clue when you will wake up, neither does your character. I like not having a timer. The Mod had a timer that was not exact but you could guess about how long it would take. That was okay, but not having one means you have to sit there on the edge of your seat waiting for... what? A few minutes?

Well, to be fair you have no recollection of what happened while your character was unconscious and you wouldn't have of time unless you are staring at a clock which is 4th wall breaking. When you are unconcious you have no clue when you will wake up, neither does your character. I like not having a timer. The Mod had a timer that was not exact but you could guess about how long it would take. That was okay, but not having one means you have to sit there on the edge of your seat waiting for... what? A few minutes?

I've waited 45 minutes twice now.  But to be fair, come next patch reaching a blood level of 0 will kill you.  After tweaking, if it ends up just being a few minutes then I won't mind at all.  The longest I've waited and actually woke up on my own is 25 minutes.  I think it's just a little to much.  I'll pretty much settle for any indication like what was in the mod at that point.

I should also point out that I agree with this guy fully.  However, I don't want to be waiting in suspense for 25+ minutes.  There comes a point where the individual alt tabs or just respawns, breaking the point.

If you're going to have me be unconscious for 25+ minutes with the ability of waking up on my own, then have an indication of "you're in a deep sleep, dont expect anything anytime soon" followed by "you're going to be waking up in the next 1-5mins" is all I'm really asking for.

In my opinion, an unconscious state where I can wake up on my own shouldn't last more than 5 minutes.  Any unconscious state lasting more than 5minutes should require external help and an indication of such.  That way I'm not wasting my time if I can't get such external help.  There's no point in wasting my time when I'm already losing my character.

I should also point out that I agree with this guy fully.  However, I don't want to be waiting in suspense for 25+ minutes.  There comes a point where the individual alt tabs or just respawns, breaking the point.

If you're going to have me be unconscious for 25+ minutes with the ability of waking up on my own, then have an indication of "you're in a deep sleep, dont expect anything anytime soon" followed by "you're going to be waking up in the next 1-5mins" is all I'm really asking for.

In my opinion, an unconscious state where I can wake up on my own shouldn't last more than 5 minutes.  Any unconscious state lasting more than 5minutes should require external help and an indication of such.  That way I'm not wasting my time if I can't get such external help.  There's no point in wasting my time when I'm already losing my character.

Well, i would only agree on some notifcation about your blood is over or less than 500 and will wake up some day or not. But timer its still too much for me.

Edited by TokumeiSennin

I've waited 45 minutes twice now.  But to be fair, come next patch reaching a blood level of 0 will kill you.  After tweaking, if it ends up just being a few minutes then I won't mind at all.  The longest I've waited and actually woke up on my own is 25 minutes. ...

How...Maybe i am wrong but why its took so long ?

If my source are correct. Blood max level is 5000 points, Shock max level also 5000 points. If Shock level is higher than blood level, you passing out. If blood level is lower than 500 then without shock you pass out. Shock going down 30 points per second (30/s).

I use that info as a assumptions:

5000 - 500 = 4500 (level of blood which can be lost without passing out)

4500/30 = 150 (assume thats shock level was at max (5000) and going down. Its need 150 seconds (2 min 30 sec) to get 500 point of blood and stay conscious)

You didn't die after 25 min in unconscious status thats mean you didn't bleeding. If i assume that you had 1 blood left and your status was in range to get slow blood rageneration (1 blood per second) then its should take 500 sec, its (8 min 20 sec) to get 500 blood. ( I dont mind +/-1 sec here, its just 1 sec diffrent)

As when you was unconscious your shock level was going down and eventually blood was reganerate in same time. What mean: 8 min 20 sec its max time what should wait for conscious back. Then why its took 25 min ? I missed something ?

Edited by TokumeiSennin

How...Maybe i am wrong but why its took so long ?

If my source are correct. Blood max level is 5000 points, Shock max level also 5000 points. If Shock level is higher than blood level, you passing out. If blood level is lower than 500 then without shock you pass out. Shock going down 30 points per second (30/s).

I use that info as a assumptions:

5000 - 500 = 4500 (level of blood which can be lost without passing out)

4500/30 = 150 (assume thats shock level was at max (5000) and going down. Its need 150 seconds (2 min 30 sec) to get 500 point of blood and stay conscious)

You didn't die after 25 min in unconscious status thats mean you didn't bleeding. If i assume that you had 1 blood left and your status was in range to get slow blood rageneration (1 blood per second) then its should take 500 sec, its (8 min 20 sec) to get 500 blood. ( I dont mind +/-1 sec here, its just 1 sec diffrent)

As when you was unconscious your shock level was going down and eventually blood was reganerate in same time. What mean: 8 min 20 sec its max time what should wait for conscious back. Then why its took 25 min ? I missed something ?

I should point out that I was bleeding when I did wake up, vision black and white.  Crawled to a bush (leg broken) and bandaged.  I was a bit surprised myself when I noticed I was bleeding all of that time and still awoke.  Until the next patch you can actually bleed until 0 and not die, just be stuck unconscious indefinitely.

That's some good info you have though.  Can you post the source?  8min and 20 sec isn't all that bad of a wait once the system is working properly compared to what I've waited through in the past; still be nice to have some kind of indicator even if vague.

Source: 

After 25 min bleeding you had more than 500 blood point. For me sounds like bug. If you had more than 500 blood, then you should get back concious after 2 min 30 sec... 

Or source is wrong or game bugged or i missed somthing.

Timers not needed and spoil authenticity and immersion.

The longest you should ever wait to die when unconscious due to blood loss (as of next patch, which fixes the no-death-at-zero-blood bug) is a smidge over 8m30s. This is based on falling unconscious at blood level 500 and bleeding out at a rate of -1blood/s. If you're bleeding out faster than that then you'll die sooner. Unconsciousness would last longer if it is shock induced and your shock value remains higher than your blood until your blood drops lower than 500, but it would only be a matter of minutes. Having a higher blood level would safeguard against this anyway.

I am glad thats Monkfish agree with my assumptios.

I checked http://feedback.dayzgame.com/ and found reported bug http://feedback.dayzgame.com/view.php?id=196 ,problem was solved when admin/mod explained what we know already, blood level need be over 500 blood points. Some players posted there them case, 45 min waiting for concious back, other one 30 min, etc. Some posted about few hours and still concious didn't back, i guess solution was aimed at this part of players.

If anyone have any idea then i would to like hear it.

Ryzen, if no one will anser then i sugget you report it again.

EDIT:

The one thing what i can think its bugged slow regeneration. If Ryzen was bleeding, mean he keep losing 1 blood point per second, if he had regeneration then should get 1 blood per second, its mean -1 + 1 = 0 but what if slow regeneration give not 1 but 1,2 or something like that.

-1 + 1,2 = + 0,2 per second

0,2 per second mean if you have 1 blood left then 500 blood point you get for 41 min 40 sec, more blood left, shorter time to go. Same way, while player is unconcious regeneration is not 1 blood per sec, but less. Explain why other players need wait 45 min till wake up.

Edited by TokumeiSennin

I think this may fall into a similar category as icons and health bars. Imo...as long as u get the information some how, like a slowly clearing screen/sound fx, u wont need a timer.

• Like 1

Some players posted there them case, 45 min waiting for concious back, other one 30 min, etc. Some posted about few hours and still concious didn't back, i guess solution was aimed at this part of players.

If anyone have any idea then i would to like hear it.

This was caused by a bug/issue where players didn't die when their blood level reached 0, resulting in perma-unconsciousness. This will be fixed in the next patch, hence my comment being based on when that occurs.

I think this may fall into a similar category as icons and health bars. Imo...as long as u get the information some how, like a slowly clearing screen/sound fx, u wont need a timer.

This I agree with wholeheartedly. I really like the way unconsciousness is shown in Arma 2, whereby the sound gets distant, tunnel vision sets in and the character has very little control over what direction they're looking in, if at all. I imagine (and hope) something similar will be implemented into DayZ whereby unconsciousness is a gradual state that you can drift in an out of (or be knocked suddenly unconscious by way of punch and drift back out of it) with corresponding audio and visual effects.

Timers not needed at all.

Keep unconsciousness the way it is right now, maybe put in some music or a video clip instead of hearing what is going on around ^^

I'm totally for having an indicator (be it a numeric timer or a mod-like hourglass). Realism is one thing but being forced to sit for 10-15 minutes in front of your screen not knowing if you should just click respawn or not is more important. Realism is good but not when it influences your life more than the gameplay.

Edited by yogi92