raiderlove86

So... I changed my computers name and I lost everything?

I didn't like in games how it gave me whatever name I named my computer which happened to be Babiicakez (my wife). So I changed the username to my own moniker and when I opened DayZ I had lost everything and it basically restarted me. I tried changing the name back to what it was before and closing DayZ and restarting it and no dice. Is there any way to get my stuff back or no?

doubtful, I lost my fully kitted gear earlier on, even had a long range scope. Spent the rest of the evening fist fighting with ma mates on the coast.  Silver linings and all that..

Yeah, to get your stuff back, go looting and find your stuff again in game, that's the only solution I know of.

• Like 1

Wait, wtf... my wifes stuff on our other computer is gone and shes dead too. What the hell? We were both alive and well when we exited the game earlier. I don't understand what happened...

Alpha. Probs got reset. Make sure that you didnt join a hardcore server.

Did you combat log? Changing your profile name has nothing to do with it. PROTIP: you can just click on the name in the main menu and change it, you don't have to create a new profile just to change your name babiicakez

• Like 1

Thank you Black Dynamite!! I don't know what combat log is? Fill me in? Beans for the name change tip tho!

• Like 1

I didn't like in games how it gave me whatever name I named my computer which happened to be Babiicakez (my wife). So I changed the username to my own moniker and when I opened DayZ I had lost everything and it basically restarted me. I tried changing the name back to what it was before and closing DayZ and restarting it and no dice. Is there any way to get my stuff back or no?

Change your name by clicking on the large name in the bottom-right of the loading screen.

• Like 1

Thank you Black Dynamite!! I don't know what combat log is? Fill me in? Beans for the name change tip tho!

Combat Logging means, you get shot at and immediatly log out to avoid damage or death.

Was used by many people for some time till the last big patch came online. Now, when you disconnect, your charakter stays in game for 30 seconds and just sits on the floor, even though you already closed the game on your computer.

In this 30 seconds, you might get killed by another player or by some random zombies spotting you while sitting around or because they were following you from your last run to a town without you noticing them.

You only get to know if you were killed in this 30 seconds when you log in the next time you want to play.

Edited by DaMaakus

...or you could just be temporarily disconnected from the main hive. when that happens the game creates a new character because it cant find your old one on the hive.

this is the reason for most character losses.

Dean has only wiped the hive Once (intentionally) that i know of.

the solution, is to log out immediately and try again later to see if you have rejoined the hive.

FYI, if you continue playing with a new character while disconnected to the hive, when you reconnect. it will override your old character.

Change your name IN GAME at the main menu, not by renaming your computer. At the main menu in game you will see your name in the bottom right hand corner. That is simply a text field. Click, delete and change there.

Why didn't you just change your name in DayZ by double-clicking it, no one's really bothered about their computer name, well i'm not..