alleycat

Neutral safe zones that physically prevent combat

Can't get behind this OP.

I don't advocate KOS as it is the lowest common denominator but this is too care-bear for DayZ.

In the mod a group called The Free-side Trading Company made a valiant attempt at establishing neutral trade zones. I believe their leader and several members still post here.

To me that is the apex of what DayZ can be.

A player driven co-operative venture that expands the parameters of the experience for all involved, even the bandito-doritos that inevitably try to take it down.

Helping them out on several occasions to help hunt hackers and bandits remain to this day my greatest DayZ experiences.

It was semi-organized group combat for a purpose and was absolutely thrilling.

Here's to the return of such groups and the Dorito clans that will try to attack them.

Player driven content is what has to be the future, Dean himself touched on it early in the mod.

If not add Dayz to the garbage pile of open world death-match wannabe games that failed.

Edited by AryanBoogeyman
  • Like 1

Chaps and chapesses, keep it civil please.

No more "get out" type of threads. OP is allowed to have a different opinion.

What you need to do is to intelligently convince op that they are wrong and bring them to our way of thinking.

Insults are pointless and just show one up as being, as you kids say, an asshat.

Rgds

LoK

There should be a safe zone that physically prevents players from being hostile. Like for example there could be a small area at the edge of the map that provides a safe place to meet people. Players could still be able to attack people leaving that place but at least there would be some non violent interaction.

It would allow players to meet, form groups, trade.

Obviously the immersion fundamentalists will hate on this because they hate everything but the advantages of such a place would outweigh concerns of it being too gamey. Because the current fundamentalist "no rules" skews the gameplay towards pure shoot on sight which is not realistic because in the real world people would have the need for socializing in the apocalypse or go insane (excepf for a few people that can survive alone)

Would you like this safe area patrolled by care bears that shoot magical rainbow rays at any of those nasty 'immersion fundamentalists' and knocks them unconsious aswell?

Infestation Care Bear Stories that way as you clearly dont get what this game is about >>

Dont let the door hit you on the way out

Edit, just seen the above mod post lol, I would try and convince but the op clearly doesnt understand Deans vision past or present and doubt would understand that security in a WROL simulator is created by cooperation between the players themselves not some magical part of the map.

Edited by Easy_Tiger
  • Like 1

Would you like this safe area patrolled by care bears that shoot magical rainbow rays at any of those nasty 'immersion fundamentalists' and knocks them unconsious aswell?

Infestation Care Bear Stories that way as you clearly dont get what this game is about >>

Dont let the door hit you on the way out

C'mon, was that really necessarry. I can see where the OP is comming from.

I disagree on the safezones because there are no such things as a 'safe' zone in any survival situation. It would only make sense to have players interact with other players rather than npc's, The concept has been done and has not worked (I don't think it'll ever work).

Seriously, the word "carebear" is a word that is stereotypical in nature and targets people who are pushing for more player interaction. The lack of explanation and the use of sarcasm implies that you are narrow minded. Try to reply in a respectful manner next time.

• Like 1

Hell no. You have PLENTY of that in other games, so why don't you play them if you're so scared.

I can understand the OP's want for a safe haven because if shit hit the fan in real life, everyone wouldn't just kill other survivors on sight for shits 'n giggles.  

However, we are on the internet where everyone is 7ft tall, 400lbs of pure muscle, and can bench press a Humvee.  

It is not like supplies are super rare, so there is no reason to KOS or rob people other than to be a dick because you are a pussy in real life.

We need more positive human interaction in-game otherwise, this game will only be for a niche crowd and people who will just get bored and move on to something else.

• Like 1

I think some people dont get my point here.

I am not complaining about the whole shoot on sight thing and the constant danger. Because I do it myself all the time, sneak up on less well armed players and shoot them.

I am just bored of having no other option to play this game. Besides it is not "deans vision" for it to be like this. He just dropped the ball on trying to add a proper bandit system. In the mod they tried it, but probably ran into issues and decided to completely drop it for whatever reason. Looks like a 100% pragmatic decision (I would say cheap cop out but I dont want to be too negative as other parts of the game work nicely).

The whole game design is trying way too much to keep it "real" as in, everything player driven and no rules. But no rules will always favor pure shoot on sight. The game fails to simulate the negative effects of shooting everyone you see.

Expecting any form of non violent interaction to develop is like expecting people not to shoot you in a game of Counter-Strike

Another issue is the immersion fundamentalists whose mindset is: Keep as much information obscured from the player as possible and just pile random frustrations on the player without any regard on wether they make sense realistically.

You can see that in:

- FIrst attempt of immersing players by constantly slapping "I AM THIRSTY" on screen because heavens forbid a simple number based indicator in the inventory is ruining the game (it is still all numbers but you just dont see them)

- pure hate about anything that would immerse the player more just because it adds numbers or letters on the hud (nametags)

- screen color degradation, a crime against good visuals, just to immerse the player into telling him he is wounded (toss out all the awesome hdr and colors instead of a simple HEALTH: 100% in the inventory screen) awesome trade-off, immersion fundamentalists

Also lets look at EVE. It has some awesome clan interaction, trading, spying, combat, pirates. Imagine removing the high sec safeguards against shoot on sight. All of the clan stuff, piracy and trading would instantly disappear

Edited by alleycat
  • Like 1

OP you clearly do not understand the style of game DayZ is. It's not a CoD wannabe shooter. DayZ is called the anti-game because it's not suppose to be fun. What I mean by fun is there is no jump in, kill some players get your xp and medals to unlock that next uber weapon. This game is obviously not for you so I suggest you just move along.

OP you clearly do not understand the style of game DayZ is. It's not a CoD wannabe shooter. DayZ is called the anti-game because it's not suppose to be fun. What I mean by fun is there is no jump in, kill some players get your xp and medals to unlock that next uber weapon. This game is obviously not for you so I suggest you just move along.

A mod has already come in and advised people not to make these sorts of comments. I suggest you listen to him.

• Like 1

I, for one, am inclined to agree with OP on this matter (to some extent).  While I agree that the idea of multiple safe zones would kill the survivor-esque feel of this game, I think having a random (singular) safe zone appearing in smaller towns would accomplish the task of increasing the human interaction perspective.  

-They added the radio and transceiver in the game so people could talk in-game but, its ineffective when there is no way of knowing who is on what frequency.  Give everyone a random location to head to so they can initiate contact and communicate more often then a single one time poor interaction where everyone is on edge.  Make the location randomized and also temporary.  They setup, stick around for 30 minutes (real time) and then they are gone.  Can't be followed so that someone can just stalk the safe zone (only ONE per server) and its never permanent.  Now, add in NPC medics to bring your character back up to health (provided you have medical supplies), we'll call them "Trained MedicsZ" (hell, throw a Z on the end there and keep everyone happy), and they will restore your character's health only as far as they can with the supplies you have.  If you play on your own, you can't get an IV or take blood from yourself or even give yourself a transfusion.  Now you have a SINGLE place to go (if you can find it) where you can get patched up.  

"But how would you keep people from camping/sniping/grieving this location?"

What trained group of people would travel without their own security?  Seriously.  This would wind up being a National Guard type unit which moves about and helps the player. Like any normal player, they would be vulnerable to attack.  THE INSTANT they are attacked, they attempt to locate their assailant, and kick everyone there out.  If you get found, you get killed.  Pretty simple, if you're going to take on a military unit and not expect to die then you have some huge cajones.  Say you are looking for the people leaving the camp when they teardown and you manage to find it and stalk them before they teardown.  That's on you.  And its on whoever is in getting treated or trading with the military type unit for supplies, or talking to other players, etc., etc.  Once they NPCs leave and the temporary aidestation is gone, its back to DayZ the way it is today.  

-If you spawn too many safezones at one time, then no one will try to interact with anyone else.  But if you have one and are able to talk to 2 or three other individuals on the server, then you've increased player interaction that much more without putting anyone in danger and creating more paranoia.  And once the interaction is done with or the time runs out on the camp, its either group up and play or go your own way.  You want to Lonewolf the whole time, cool.  Come in, trade some gear, go about your way.  You want to build a small army of followers or an intricate network of survivors that work together, now's your chance to make it happen!  

"Everyone is flooding the camp on the entire server, Stew!"

Fine.  FINE!!!  If you find a radio, and its tuned to a specific frequency, and you find a map, and receive specific grid coordinates, you get to play with the group.  Otherwise, too bad, so sad.  You're only playing the parts of the game that you want to play at this point and can ignore the existence of these safezones all together.

I think the inclusion of safezones will increase player interaction but, in order to do it right, you have to make it difficult to find and limit the amount of time for interaction.  Make communicating between players easier using the radios strewn about the cities using the transceiver to broadcast a message (up to the player to do it).  Give people the option to interact on a friendly level and they will.  Broadcast warnings across the radios throughout a city about people to look out for.  Broadcast meeting instructions across the airwaves to bring people in.  Will it always be friendly.  NOPE.  This is one of the foundations of the game though.  When the shit hits the fan, who can you trust.  The guy next to you, the one you meet in the streets, or the voice on the radio asking for your help.   

And the entrance/entrances to the place would be a heaven for bandits ;)

This is the problem with a safe zone. Otherwise it wasnt a bad idea.

I can understand the OP's want for a safe haven because if shit hit the fan in real life, everyone wouldn't just kill other survivors on sight for shits 'n giggles.  

However, we are on the internet where everyone is 7ft tall, 400lbs of pure muscle, and can bench press a Humvee.  

It is not like supplies are super rare, so there is no reason to KOS or rob people other than to be a dick because you are a pussy in real life.

We need more positive human interaction in-game otherwise, this game will only be for a niche crowd and people who will just get bored and move on to something else.

I agree, don't get me wrong, but putting in neutral safe zones that literally restrict combat is just not the right way to go about it.  It can, and should be, player created and controlled / maintained.

I, for one, am inclined to agree with OP on this matter (to some extent).  While I agree that the idea of multiple safe zones would kill the survivor-esque feel of this game, I think having a random (singular) safe zone appearing in smaller towns would accomplish the task of increasing the human interaction perspective.  

-They added the radio and transceiver in the game so people could talk in-game but, its ineffective when there is no way of knowing who is on what frequency.  Give everyone a random location to head to so they can initiate contact and communicate more often then a single one time poor interaction where everyone is on edge.  Make the location randomized and also temporary.  They setup, stick around for 30 minutes (real time) and then they are gone.  Can't be followed so that someone can just stalk the safe zone (only ONE per server) and its never permanent.  Now, add in NPC medics to bring your character back up to health (provided you have medical supplies), we'll call them "Trained MedicsZ" (hell, throw a Z on the end there and keep everyone happy), and they will restore your character's health only as far as they can with the supplies you have.  If you play on your own, you can't get an IV or take blood from yourself or even give yourself a transfusion.  Now you have a SINGLE place to go (if you can find it) where you can get patched up.  

"But how would you keep people from camping/sniping/grieving this location?"

What trained group of people would travel without their own security?  Seriously.  This would wind up being a National Guard type unit which moves about and helps the player. Like any normal player, they would be vulnerable to attack.  THE INSTANT they are attacked, they attempt to locate their assailant, and kick everyone there out.  If you get found, you get killed.  Pretty simple, if you're going to take on a military unit and not expect to die then you have some huge cajones.  Say you are looking for the people leaving the camp when they teardown and you manage to find it and stalk them before they teardown.  That's on you.  And its on whoever is in getting treated or trading with the military type unit for supplies, or talking to other players, etc., etc.  Once they NPCs leave and the temporary aidestation is gone, its back to DayZ the way it is today.  

-If you spawn too many safezones at one time, then no one will try to interact with anyone else.  But if you have one and are able to talk to 2 or three other individuals on the server, then you've increased player interaction that much more without putting anyone in danger and creating more paranoia.  And once the interaction is done with or the time runs out on the camp, its either group up and play or go your own way.  You want to Lonewolf the whole time, cool.  Come in, trade some gear, go about your way.  You want to build a small army of followers or an intricate network of survivors that work together, now's your chance to make it happen!  

"Everyone is flooding the camp on the entire server, Stew!"

Fine.  FINE!!!  If you find a radio, and its tuned to a specific frequency, and you find a map, and receive specific grid coordinates, you get to play with the group.  Otherwise, too bad, so sad.  You're only playing the parts of the game that you want to play at this point and can ignore the existence of these safezones all together.

I think the inclusion of safezones will increase player interaction but, in order to do it right, you have to make it difficult to find and limit the amount of time for interaction.  Make communicating between players easier using the radios strewn about the cities using the transceiver to broadcast a message (up to the player to do it).  Give people the option to interact on a friendly level and they will.  Broadcast warnings across the radios throughout a city about people to look out for.  Broadcast meeting instructions across the airwaves to bring people in.  Will it always be friendly.  NOPE.  This is one of the foundations of the game though.  When the shit hits the fan, who can you trust.  The guy next to you, the one you meet in the streets, or the voice on the radio asking for your help.   

While I still disagree as a whole that is the most logical and well though out implementation I've seen.

My question is if there are so many people who want safe zones then why don't, using the methods you have described here, players just do this themselves a group of 6-8 armed people providing over watch, allowing players to come in and trade for supplies and what ever else they require?

I agree, don't get me wrong, but putting in neutral safe zones that literally restrict combat is just not the right way to go about it.  It can, and should be, player created and controlled / maintained.

Well, you could disable weapons while in the safe zone(barter town) and only be able to use your fists while inside the walls.  That way if you act up, people can gang up on you and serve you a little justice for disturbing the peace.

Well, you could disable weapons while in the safe zone(barter town) and only be able to use your fists while inside the walls.  That way if you act up, people can gang up on you and serve you a little justice for disturbing the peace.

But that's still an artificial barrier that shouldn't exist in a sandbox game/sim.  I'm all for player created / maintained safe zones where trading and all that is encouraged, but it shouldn't be a place where you can run to escape from someone who is after your beans.

Edited by Mdogg2005

kinda funny how the nay sayers didnt bring up a single valid point against the safe zone idea.....and if you read between the lines you get

OMG SOMEONE TRY TO TAKE AWAY OUR EASY KILLS

iam pro safe zone, remember diablo 2 ?

put in a "camp" and the same trade dialog screen and it would be a huge improvement

you dont like the Zone? dont go there

you want kill freshspawns? get to the fucking beach

would it be a bad thing for the "survivor" feeling? NO, cause think about this

youre wounded and have a goal to escape and if lucky you get there medical help

youre a bandit? Fine steal some crap and sell it to theyre owners again :lol:

you have a pistol but want a mask? go into the zone and trade it instead of killing 5 or 6 guys in order to get it

sofar every post apocalyptic movie that i know had some kind of "safe" zone.....

its not about turning dayz into a "other" game (which moron bring up such nonsense?) its about making the feel and gamplay better for all.

atm only the wannabe l33t PVP players have really fun and oh wonder in the mod it wasnt usualy the "lets kill em all" guys which had the most fun. You geared up,fixed a car and tryed to get a Heli......over and over again

so whats wrong with adding some fun for people that like Hunting and sell/trade Meat? adding a neutral zone would benefit any kind of playstyle

• Like 1

kinda funny how the nay sayers didnt bring up a single valid point against the safe zone idea.....and if you read between the lines you get

OMG SOMEONE TRY TO TAKE AWAY OUR EASY KILLS

iam pro safe zone, remember diablo 2 ?

put in a "camp" and the same trade dialog screen and it would be a huge improvement

you dont like the Zone? dont go there

you want kill freshspawns? get to the fucking beach

would it be a bad thing for the "survivor" feeling? NO, cause think about this

youre wounded and have a goal to escape and if lucky you get there medical help

youre a bandit? Fine steal some crap and sell it to theyre owners again :lol:

you have a pistol but want a mask? go into the zone and trade it instead of killing 5 or 6 guys in order to get it

sofar every post apocalyptic movie that i know had some kind of "safe" zone.....

its not about turning dayz into a "other" game (which moron bring up such nonsense?) its about making the feel and gamplay better for all.

atm only the wannabe l33t PVP players have really fun and oh wonder in the mod it wasnt usualy the "lets kill em all" guys which had the most fun. You geared up,fixed a car and tryed to get a Heli......over and over again

so whats wrong with adding some fun for people that like Hunting and sell/trade Meat? adding a neutral zone would benefit any kind of playstyle

Rottenecards_64784832_k55kwr5q6y.png

@Window Licker

The biggest problem I see with having a a "Player Run Safe Zone" comes back to that trust relationship that is seriously lacking already.  Finding a group of people running together and helping players isn't unheard of.  Personally, me and my group avoid people if we can.  ESPECIALLY in large groups.  If you roll up on a National Guard/Red Cross/UN type unit, it gives you a piece of mind.  Plus a much smaller chance of being looted, locked up, poisoned, bagged and tagged, shot, beat, maimed, just all around violated.  The NPC approach would have to restrict player interaction much the same way that Player run safe zones would.  Brute Force.  YOU screw around in the safe zone, you pay.  Players would do it to players.  We can't expect them to add in NPCs and not expect them to treat us similarly to the way we would treat each other.  Everyone is paranoid, everyone is on edge but, these guys have a job to do.  They HAVE to help.  Until you start messing with them.  Pull an ax and take a swing at someone, the guards tell you to stop.  Kill someone.  You die.  Attack the NPCs.  You die.  Or you get abducted by the Unit and dropped without all your gear in a random place in Charnarous.  

Again, it can be done with player groups, but to take the paranoia factor out of it, make the group only able to act within a certain set of parameters.  Can you overrun the camp?  Why the hell not!  Bring enough firepower and you can take them out, get some better supplies, and move on before the next group of NPCs shows up.  I don't see this game having a long life if you can't interact with people without having to go to the forums to coordinate or using a third party chat program to work on tactics.  I use teamspeak with my friends so we can do just that.  Radios and camps for coordination would add a WHOLE new dynamic to the game.  One that I don't think is ready to be implemented... yet!

So, because you are finding it hard to interact with people, this concession should be made?

People already have varied and interesting interactions in DayZ, all this would add is an area where certain interactions are "limited" because the magical sky-lord has decided you can't be hostile in this area or respond in kind to douchery.

And it serves no purpose.

Trading? You can do that in the mod right now, you just have to be careful, stay aware of your surroundings, and probably bring back-up.

Having a chat with someone? Same thing.

Really, all adding a "safe-zone" would do is give people who are "bad" at the game a place to be "bad" at the game in relative safety and think they're "good" at the game.

It serves as nothing but a crutch. 

Stop looking for the easy way out.

Stop blaming the game for your deaths (unless it was a glitch, then blame the game)

Take some responsibility and think "What could I have done better?"

That's the biggest advantage you have in this game. You can and should learn from every death.

Edited by Dekartz

Absolutely not.

You will forever be in danger, you should never be able to relax in this game. Every interaction with any player ever will have an element of risk.

Absolutely not.

You will forever be in danger, you should never be able to relax in this game. Every interaction with any player ever will have an element of risk.

Clearly you don't roll with a crew.

I consider churches to be safe zones. I won't shoot anyone in a church and wouldn't mind if "Friendly Fire" was disabled in Churches.