Sign in to follow this  
akafugitive

tactical gestures

I've wanted to see some form of tap and grab communication in a game since it is so crucial in tactical response. Examples of this would be tapping your lead man at a corner to let them know you are shooting over their head, or grabbing their shoulder to let them know you are bounding. This is useful when the surrounding noise drowns out verbal communication, or there is a need for silence.

I haven't figured out how this could be done till this idea just popped in my head:

Tap Guesture: plays tap animation and sends a message to the player directly in front of you "You feel a tap on your head" (or contextual based on your stance)

Grab Guesture: plays Grab animation and sends a message to the player directly in front of you "You feel your shoulder get squeezed" (or contextual)

Edited by akafugitive
  • Like 3

I guess it's a simple suggestion, although considering any group with tactics is probably a group on mic, I would doubt the level of use this would get.

I guess it's a simple suggestion, although considering any group with tactics is probably a group on mic, I would doubt the level of use this would get.

True.. .however, having commands like these might entice a group of more hardcore gamers to get off the TeamSpeak and meet up the old fashioned way (you know add that much more immersion to help eliminate the feeling/need for more immersion breaking things like TS to make up for the loss in realism)... with walkie talkies, etc... 

Edit: The more real you make a game the more "real" people will tend to treat it

Edited by GafMast

That's kind of the point. Reducing radio chatter with simple touch communications is massive. This is what is done in the professional world

As for use. Those who know nothing about touch communication won't use it, those who do will

Edited by akafugitive

I like this idea it goes very well with the "open mic chat at all times on hardcore servers" idea that everyone hates (except me :-0 ) and even without that idea implemented it would still be nice to have f7 f8 and f9 set to military/tactical hand signals like these ones or others like stop , go, danger area , etc .

• Like 1

Tap Guesture: plays tap animation and sends a message to the player directly in front of you "You feel a tap on your head" (or contextual based on your stance)

Grab Guesture: plays Grab animation and sends a message to the player directly in front of you "You feel your shoulder get squeezed" (or contextual)

I think that is a fantastic idea.

This could be used for the reasons you have mentioned (choosing to stay silent when in a dangerous situation), but it could be used for many other things.

For example this could be used if you want to silently make another player understand that someone is behind them and they shouldn't move a muscle.

Honestly, even if I'm on Skype or TS with a friend playing Dayz, I would still end up using these gestures because it simply makes interaction that much better.

:thumbsup:

This IMO is a must have!

Seriously!

If anyone wants to use in game chat only, then tactical gestures is a must.

I love meeting new people and roaming around with them, and if I could be all tactical and shit without making noise sneaking around with my new buddy?

That would be awesome. 

Role playing would increase immensely with this IMO.

Please, add tactical gestures. I beg you! :)

"You feel your shoulder get squeezed"

HAHA! i kinda like the idea, but everyone are civilians.

This could work very well with a commo-rose like menu (BF and L4D series). Hell, a commo-rose could make so many things fast and easy.