Dkmode (DayZ)

Using the "butt" of guns for Melee (or bayonets)

Just a thought. Being able to use the butt of my gun to knock someone unconscious so i can loot them would be awesome. Just in case there were not any handcuffs around. 

Adding a melee aspect to weapons would be a nice feature. That way we don't have to haul around a firemans axe wherever we go. Or have it take up room in the inventory if we place it there. 

Also, if you have a bayonet attached to your gun, maybe we could get a stab motion? Just a thought. 

Oh and, when are we going to be able to put bandannas around our mouths? and be true bandits. Just some thoughts. Ideas. Open to ridicule. 

• Like 6

You use your fists to knock them out then.

I like this idea though :)

Edited by TedZ

You use your fists to knock them out then.

I like this idea though :)

yea we can use our fists to knock people out. but i would like to be able to use the butt of my gun when i have someone at my mercy. that way when i switch to my fists they just dont take off. 

this way i can have my gun still drawn, and knock them unconscious. just saying. if i had a friend with me, i would consider knocking them out with my fists.

I like the idea of being able to use the butt of my gun.  However, I think it should be very low damage to zombies.  The reason for this is to force a player to carry a melee weapon particularly FOR zombies and not giving the player "awesomeness" on both spectrums with the gun.

I like the idea.  I'm not sure about buttstroking, but I bet they will be adding the stabby-stabbies in future updates.

I like the idea of being able to use the butt of my gun.  However, I think it should be very low damage to zombies.  The reason for this is to force a player to carry a melee weapon particularly FOR zombies and not giving the player "awesomeness" on both spectrums with the gun.

yea. i think it would be similar to using your fists to knock someone out, or knocking a zombie down. I wouldn't want it to be unbalanced in anyway, i just like the idea of being able to have my gun out and knock someone unconscious. 

im not a horrible person. i could just shoot them in the face when they put their hands on the head, but id prefer to knock em out, take what i need, and be on my way.

Depends on the weapon. the M4 or most modern firearms are not designed to be used explicitly as a melee weapon without a bayonet to be a thrusting weapon.

While you take weapons like the Mosin Nagant or most WW1 through Early coldwar name into the 1950's designs like the SKS or M14. Those were meant to have the stock used to bash in heads or more specifically Helmets. I can tell you from experience of owning quite a few WW1 and WW2 rifles that the brass or steel buttplates on those weapons is a highly effective melee weapon.

Not to mention for my Mosin I have the 2 foot long steel spike bayonet and that'd be a very very effective thrusting weapon given the opportunity.

Depends on the weapon. the M4 or most modern firearms are not designed to be used explicitly as a melee weapon without a bayonet to be a thrusting weapon.

While you take weapons like the Mosin Nagant or most WW1 through Early coldwar name into the 1950's designs like the SKS or M14. Those were meant to have the stock used to bash in heads or more specifically Helmets. I can tell you from experience of owning quite a few WW1 and WW2 rifles that the brass or steel buttplates on those weapons is a highly effective melee weapon.

Not to mention for my Mosin I have the 2 foot long steel spike bayonet and that'd be a very very effective thrusting weapon given the opportunity.

Using your gun to hit someone should cause the guns condition to deteriorate to balance it out.

After reading these posts, maybe the M4 buttstock (maybe not the cqb?) could deteriorate but im not a huge fan of my mosin, shotgun (not sawed-off of course), or hunting rifle deteriorating just because i knocked someone out who isnt wearing a helmet. Maybe...if they are wearing a helmet it could cause damage to the weapon, lowering the condition. But the butt of a shotgun or rifle wouldn't deteriorate on bashing someones skull. Of course, i haven't used one to bash someones skull in real life, but i have used it many other times on other things.

Edited by Dkmode

I think using bayonets will be implanted in future, don't see other reason why its is now is game. About that "butt" part of gun, good idea. Would have same power as fist or little higher.