smoq2

5 min cooldown for switching servers is way to little

Also, I think people are confusing the current solution. It wasn't so much to kill server hopping as it is to kill ghosting and combat logging which was a bigger problem that has taken a major hit. Server hoping happens due to lack of loot, that will change with new loot respawn methods as others have already said. Arguing about the current timers and server hopping is invalid because realistically, they aren't related.

Edited by Sinphaltimus

How about we just wait until we have more content and the spawns are sorted out before we start figuring ways to combat 'server hopping' and all the other bullshit...

• Like 1

what a stupid post OP.. the current state of the game with server crashes and client crashes means we are sitting through 5 minute waits unneccessarily already and you're going to say it's too short?

how about solve the fundamental problem with loot that actually respawns instead of these retarded wait times

the queue system is good for combat logging and ghosting but it is not and will never be the solution to server hopping..

don't like people jumping on your server and taking your loot? tough cookies.. live with it as that's the only way you can get loot now

I don't seem to see any difference in server hopper behaviour with or without that rejoin cooldown timer.

I play on 2h restart servers and most military bases/houses are picked clean within 15 min after restart.

I even stayed near the NEAF and watched what was going on from the hill - 3 instances within first 15 min after restart where some player spawned in one of the barracks run through all the buildings to the other barracks and didn't come out (logged out). I assume this is what happens everywhere else on the map.

My opinion - the timer doesn't help shit. Or maybe it does, but the impact is just too small. Why not increase it to 30 min? Or an hour? Hell, Infestation (aka WarZ) had an hour cooldown if you died, why DayZ can't have an hour cooldown when you switch servers? Or give the player 3 options:

1. Wait an hour and spawn where you logged out.

2. Relocate (not respawn) to the coast and try to make it back.

3. Just rejoin the last played server without any consequences.

There you go! Server hopping and ghosting killed with one stone. :P

Your ideas suck.. the current 5 minute is horrendous and too long. Needs to be reduced to maximum 2 minutes. This is alpha, the game is made for server hopping. If you get shot everything in your inventory get ruined and unusable and there is no loot respawn. If they keep the current timers and damaged gear, they need to implement loot respawn asap.

• Like 1

When you get kicked from a server you get the same wait time, also if your net drops or sometimes even if a server restarts.

So if i get on a server that restarts 10 seconds later I should have to wait a hour?

This is a game I paid to play not a 20 pound background screen that will sit staring at me for most of my night when these things occur.

If your not finding loot the answer is not to ban more people from the server your on its to find a server other people are not on or!

How about killing / holding up the server jumpers and getting your gear that way??

This.  A friend and I tried to find a server to play in today and after the first one kicked had an admin that kicked us instantly so he could play with his clan, we tried to split up and find a server that didn't lag.  Wait timer.  Cool so because we got kicked by an admin we now have a wait timer.

After the initial timer, his server seems stable so I switch over to that one so we can finally start playing for the day.  5 minute wait - awesome.

I am all for fucking over server hoppers and combat loggers, and I know this system is temporarily the solution until something better is implemented, but holy shit it can be annoying for legit players to have a wait time of what seems like an eternity because of server or administrative issues with a server.

But hell if you're looting a building, or a town, and switching servers constantly, I vote for exponential timers to have to wait for logging in.  Wanna server hop?  Okay cool, wait 2.5 minutes.  Then wait 5 minutes.  Then wait 25 minutes*.. You get the idea.  It's harsh, but server hopping and combat logging can suck a fat one.

*disclaimer: Don't sit there and try to rationalize the fact that "People NEED to server hop! THERE'S NO LEWT!"  Bullshit.  I've survived so long without server hopping, you find an empty town, you keep on looking.

P.S.  It's alpha, hurr durr.  We're not meant to have fun we're meant to test and pave the way for future fun.

Edited by Mdogg2005

Server hopping can be stopped by making it one character per server only.  This is all they had to do and you can bitch and moan all you want about, "what if the server is full blah blah blah."  Go play on another, it's not like it's hard to gear up.

Server hopping can be stopped by making it one character per server only.  This is all they had to do and you can bitch and moan all you want about, "what if the server is full blah blah blah."  Go play on another, it's not like it's hard to gear up.

Best solution the idea of a global hive was always silly anyway.

• Like 1

It's not important why people switch servers, it however is important to know that it's unlikely that you'll never see this timer even if you're playing legit. I can think of numerous reasons why I would want to switch servers without the purpose of server hopping though. It's also a mistake to think that 15 minutes can't be lethal, by the time you switch servers you could already be hungry and close to starvation.

I would like to state the opposite. If you're not switching for loot, you will still very likely pick up items in the first 15 minutes. What makes you think the opposite I simply don't understand. Perhaps this is your behaviour, but it clearly isn't representative of any average.

There's two things that apply when it comes to navigation. One is needing to know where you are, the other is needing to know which direction you are going. The coast provides you with both of them. Then there's the fact that civilisation is always more common when near water. Without a map or compass, it makes sense for people to follow the coastline. Which will pretty much always get them somewhere no matter which direction they go to. It also serves as a meeting place for people until they venture off to the highly populated areas in the north area.

""It's not important why people switch servers""

Apparently it is.

""it's unlikely that you'll never see this timer even if you're playing legit.""

Yes, but rarely and of little consequence imo.

""I can think of numerous reasons why I would want to switch servers without the purpose of server hopping""

I can think of 4. Friends, empty server, time of day and population.

""It's also a mistake to think that 15 minutes can't be lethal, by the time you switch servers you could already be hungry and close to starvation.""

Thats true. In case of empty servers (btw lootrespawn is comming, i hear) you could currently be in real trouble before you decide to try another. How about we make a temporary exception for food, drink, bandages / t-shirts and melee weapons. You know, the absolute basics.

""If you're not switching for loot, you will still very likely pick up items in the first 15 minutes. What makes you think the opposite""

Relocation.

Lets say you just scouted the nw airfield and couldnt find anything. If youre not hopping, you cant check the airfield again with a clear conscience after switching. This means you will have to get to the next town. That takes time.

Suppose youre meeting up with friends. You will need to find each other once you switched. That takes time.

It would be annoying if youre switching to avoid nightfall just before you hit the next town, but imo that serves you right for having bad timing and avoiding the dark.

""The coast provides""

""it makes sense for people to follow the coastline.""

""a meeting place for people until they venture off to the highly populated areas in the north area.""

The coast provides death. Any newbie that lingers there, lingers there forever. It is the coast that is highly populated btw, thats why you need to get off it as a newbie for both loot and pvp reasons. What are you, a bambi hunter? lol

What the hell?  Server hoppers? How many M4's can you carry?  I think you guys exaggerate how many hoppers are out there. 

Wide distribution of loot will fix it.

First of all, please don't bombard ideas with "this sux", "your idea is crap/shit", etc. before you actually explore it. I don't know if your line of work requires design experience, but you certainly won't get far with that attitude if it does. No idea is bad, there are just good and better.

Although I admit, the idea is not creative, but in my opinion it plugs the hole (since it's moderately easy to implement) until even better one can be imposed.

Now to counter-argument some of your claims:

1. Server crashes will cause the player to wait.

No, they will not. The main server (hive) can deduce if a server crash caused the disconnection, and in such case, would not impose any timers/restrictions in joining a different one.

2. Client crashes will cause the player to wait.

No, they will not. There are methods to send information to an outside server if the player disconnected manually or the client crashed. Even Alt-F4 or process kill can be registered. Those methods are just not implemented in the current state, that's why we wait 5 min when something goes to hell. Anyway, in an event of a client crash, the player is not penalized in any way in my vision.

3. Do not compare WarZ do DayZ.

I compare it because I believe that anything WarZ team did can be done by DayZ team better. I really don't see the reason why not to learn form the experience a rip-off product has, since it was launched earlier? Both games have the same concept. Let's see where the first one failed, and profit from their mistakes. Please don't let your moral stand blind you here. There is a lot to learn from WarZ (and their mistakes).

4. Loot respawn will fix server hopping.

It will not. People will still server hop in military areas to get high-end gear. Furthermore, they will hop even more, because they have a higher chance that loot is always there, since it respawned. WarZ has respawning loot and players hop in hi-loot zones - Don't berate me for comparing again, it's a clear and only example that loot respawning does not solve the problem. The whole thing will escalate even further when we will have perma-storage items (e.g. tents) where hoppers will hoard their gear.

5. You are forcing people not to play, just wait and look at a timer.

No I am not. I gave an option to join a server instantly and not wait. You just get relocated to the coast with everything you have. If you don't want to get relocated, just rejoin the previous server or wait. There are 3 possible choices.

6. Relocating to the coast will make you a pray for bambi hunters.

It might, but most bambi hunters go kill bambies because they are easy prey. The though of meeting a geared player who was just relocated might actually make some bambi hunters to think otherwise.

7. Waiting will probably make you die from bandits or starvation.

Somebody mentioned that one... I have no idea why? I didn't write anything about forcing your avatar to be still on the server for any longer it is now during disconnects. Anyway, your character is not, and does not stay connected to the server without your control for any time.

Hopefully I clarified my concept a little bit more. And I am open to criticism and discussion, but please remember to be polite when addressing others. Being an asshole kills any kind of creative thinking.

Edited by retro19