smoq2

5 min cooldown for switching servers is way to little

its called private hives

That is a full measure indeed, but unfortunately until the game consists entirely of private hives - we will want to focus on fixing issues with the main public one.

Wait an hour before switching servers? Seriously? Are you trying to kill this game with your terrible ideas? Me and my friend had to switch servers/ restart the game due to FPS freezes several times yesterday. If we had to wait an hour each time we would just simply not play.

No game should ever restrict players from playing. That is like owning a sandwich restaurant and not selling sandwiches.

• Like 3

Server hopping can be stopped by making it one character per server only.  This is all they had to do and you can bitch and moan all you want about, "what if the server is full blah blah blah."  Go play on another, it's not like it's hard to gear up.

When loot respawn is implemented I think a higher penalty would be fine (15-30 minutes maybe).

Edit: Ok server crashes, disconnects, fps drops are certain problems. These must be resolved first, then higher the penalty.

Edited by brudertack82

I'd honestly rather it be 5 Minutes. there is some people like myself that do have issues with the game when logging in to a server. normally I have to re-log and than everything starts working nice and dandy like it should. If I had to wait a hour because of a small issue, Id go insane. (even had this problom on the mod, have friends and know a few people who experience it as-well from time to time.) So Honestly Id rather it be five minutes always. People will eventually get tired of it when they server hop, because someone always will get tired of something somewhere at some time.

I don't seem to see any difference in server hopper behaviour with or without that rejoin cooldown timer.

I play on 2h restart servers and most military bases/houses are picked clean within 15 min after restart.

I even stayed near the NEAF and watched what was going on from the hill - 3 instances within first 15 min after restart where some player spawned in one of the barracks run through all the buildings to the other barracks and didn't come out (logged out). I assume this is what happens everywhere else on the map.

My opinion - the timer doesn't help shit. Or maybe it does, but the impact is just too small. Why not increase it to 30 min? Or an hour? Hell, Infestation (aka WarZ) had an hour cooldown if you died, why DayZ can't have an hour cooldown when you switch servers? Or give the player 3 options:

1. Wait an hour and spawn where you logged out.

2. Relocate (not respawn) to the coast and try to make it back.

3. Just rejoin the last played server without any consequences.

There you go! Server hopping and ghosting killed with one stone. :P

I don't understand how you think this is a good idea. And I would honestly suggest that you don't compare DayZ and WarZ. WarZ is utter garbage and many things about that game are an insult to consumers, it is nothing more than a rip-off. If DayZ would look at that game as it's inspiration, it would only be a detriment to the development of the game.

Your solutions.

1. Absolutely unacceptable, people paid money to play the game. There's a difference between a penalty timer and quite simply locking people out of the game. You want people playing, not looking at some timer that wouldn't even be the most optimal solution to the problem. If this were ever to be in the game, I would probably uninstall this game immediately. And I'd be convinced that it would absolutely kill the playerbase.

2. This could be abused as a teleport to the coastal regions, thus a pretty bad idea.

3. What if the last played server is unavailable? Then you'd have to face all the consequences for no good reason. Again this is a very bad idea.

Please think before you come up with such draconian measures, the current system will work fine once things like respawning loot and more zombies are in the game.

I like it system like first reconnect 5 min ... reconnecting in next 10 min? So wait 10 min? If you reconnect again to another server in next 10 mint wait time be 20 min etc..

Because only a 5 min really doesnt stop server hopping..

Sorry for my english. 

To all who say that disconnects/crashes would cause an issue:

It would not. As I have written before (which many have conveniently omitted) you should be able to rejoin the same server without a penalty. Only when you try to join a different one is when a penalty is applied.

Furthermore, I don't know if anyone of you noticed. Right now if a server crashes/resets, not the client, then you can freely join another (or the same once it's up again) server without the 5 min penalty, so my solution is perfectly feasible.

I am also not trying to impose any blockade on playing for anyone. You would still be able to play instantly with all your gear without having to wait, but you would just be relocated to the coast. That's it. You can still play with your pair/friend/relative. You will just be placed elsewhere. Going back to the place where you logged out would be like 5-30 minutes, but you would be playing, not just waiting looking at the black screen.

And no, loot respawning will not solve the problem. Both the mod and WarZ (please don't berate me for comparing - it's a sound comparison). have hordes of server hoppers even though loot respawns.

To all who say that disconnects/crashes would cause an issue:

It would not. As I have written before (which many have conveniently omitted) you should be able to rejoin the same server without a penalty. Only when you try to join a different one is when a penalty is applied.

Furthermore, I don't know if anyone of you noticed. Right now if a server crashes/resets, not the client, then you can freely join another (or the same once it's up again) server without the 5 min penalty, so my solution is perfectly feasible.

I am also not trying to impose any blockade on playing for anyone. You would still be able to play instantly with all your gear without having to wait, but you would just be relocated to the coast. That's it. You can still play with your pair/friend/relative. You will just be placed elsewhere. Going back to the place where you logged out would be like 5-30 minutes, but you would be playing, not just waiting looking at the black screen.

And no, loot respawning will not solve the problem. Both the mod and WarZ (please don't berate me for comparing - it's a sound comparison). have hordes of server hoppers even though loot respawns.

The Warz thing with dieing and waiting a hour to play, what it is is One character dies so you cannot play that character for a hour. but you have 4 more characters. And Spawning back at the coast with all your gear? heck right now most people just instantly shoot anyone, this would be bad for fresh spawns, especially since People that do enjoy killing them would use that feature to their advantage.

Timer should be intimately connected to any given server population.

The more players in the server, the less waiting time. a 39/40 would connect you in 2 minutes maximum. a 0/40 would take you 20 mins.

20 minutes connection time? Bullshit. This is what the mod had and people became furious about. Why would we want to bring it back?

It might not be the right way to prevent farmers of this kind.

The right way to prevent this will surely be private hives. Stick to the same server, and youll be fine.

Making the 5min cd longer will ruin the game as it is now. The bad connections, and hosts kicking players from their servers. Gives me alot of dead time, trying to find a low pop server to play on. 

Trying to join the game, just to get kicked or disconnect within 10min, will result in a wait before each game thats terrible.

I think we can all agree to the 5 min cd fixing ghosting.

What if we were not allowed to pick up any item for 15 mins after a server switch?

You can still switch servers after the 5 min cd and use the 15 mins "item pickup cd" to relocate, meet up with friends, etc.

The anti-hopper buffer is now 20 mins, but only 5 of those consist of twiddling thumbs.

imo the "Item Pickup" cd should start running after the "anti ghosting" cd, so that if you prefer to twiddle thumbs for 20 mins instead of 5, it is an option.

Combining this measure with randomized loot spawns will further reduce hopping efficiency.

Another measure that crossed my mind is no spawn zones around all high tier spawnlocations.

This measure is more annoying because players wont like the uncertainty of randomly spawning somewhere outside the (presumably safe) place they just came from, and making fixed spawnpoints for players that try to spawn within a no-spawn zone, will lead to spawn camping.

Regarding the idea to make server switching players spawn on the coast; how about the complete opposite:

Have them spawn on the northern or western parts of the map. (still quite far from anything useful, i assure you).

An idea for the far far future:

Link up servers in a massive world and switch servers by walking into the proper direction. Nodes can be reinforced if necessary to allow for high player concentrations. Howmany Z would there be in Moscow?

Why not 24 hours cooldown for everyone who dared to leave the server in less than 10 straight hours of no lifing?

I think this will make OP happy and his enjoyable hill camping will be finally effective.

• Like 2

You people need to stop coming up with ways to restrict people from actually playing the game they payed for. This isn't a mod anymore, this is not a free product. Adding stuff to disable players from playing the game won't work, BI is hopefully smart enough to realise that only a small group of sperglords want this shit.

• Like 2

Excuse me, but if I join a server that is complete shit... I dont want to be punished and wait an hour to join a different one.  So your opinion can eat dirt.

• Like 5

I think we can all agree to the 5 min cd fixing ghosting.

What if we were not allowed to pick up any item for 15 mins after a server switch?

You can still switch servers after the 5 min cd and use the 15 mins "item pickup cd" to relocate, meet up with friends, etc.

The anti-hopper buffer is now 20 mins, but only 5 of those consist of twiddling thumbs.

imo the "Item Pickup" cd should start running after the "anti ghosting" cd, so that if you prefer to twiddle thumbs for 20 mins instead of 5, it is an option.

Combining this measure with randomized loot spawns will further reduce hopping efficiency.

Another measure that crossed my mind is no spawn zones around all high tier spawnlocations.

This measure is more annoying because players wont like the uncertainty of randomly spawning somewhere outside the (presumably safe) place they just came from, and making fixed spawnpoints for players that try to spawn within a no-spawn zone, will lead to spawn camping.

Regarding the idea to make server switching players spawn on the coast; how about the complete opposite:

Have them spawn on the northern or western parts of the map. (still quite far from anything useful, i assure you).

An idea for the far far future:

Link up servers in a massive world and switch servers by walking into the proper direction. Nodes can be reinforced if necessary to allow for high player concentrations. Howmany Z would there be in Moscow?

Introducing item pickup delays would be quite stupid as well as it works directly against the goal of the game, which is to survive. If you're a newbie, and you would encounter this penalty, that would mean you would die. It also suffers from the problem that it affects all players and not just those that server hop intentionally. You could of course make some items protected, and others not protected. But that would be a huge inconsistency in gameplay that would give a lot of confusion.

All of your other ideas suffer from the same problem, which is confusion. You can't just have random spawns upon log out in one area while it doesn't happen in the other area. You would have to be informed about this, and it breaks immersion. As it would notify you if it's a high-loot location, which directly contradicts the idea of finding items. Spawning at anywhere else than the sea isn't a bad idea, but it's far harder to navigate if you are new to the game.

Edited by Ghostflux

"If you're a newbie, and you would encounter this penalty, that would mean you would die."

In under 15 mins? Thats barely enough time to get off the coast. And why would a newbie on the coast switch servers? Was the first house empty?

""It also suffers from the problem that it affects all players and not just those that server hop intentionally.""

If youre not switching for loot, you prolly wont be picking up any items in the first 15 mins anyway.

""You can't just have random spawns upon log out in one area while it doesn't happen in the other area. You would have to be informed about this, and it breaks immersion. As it would notify you if it's a high-loot location, which directly contradicts the idea of finding items.""

I know. Its a very draconic measure and would be very impopular.

""Spawning at anywhere else than the sea isn't a bad idea, but it's far harder to navigate if you are new to the game.""

Its merely a matter of getting used to. Besides, a complete newbie is per definition lost, no matter where he spawns.

Yah there is still mad server hopping going on. It will be over soon, Rocket is working on the re spawning loot and zombies as we speak.

Just wait a little bit longer guys, look at the great job hes been doing. He wont let us down, server hopping will be done soon so 5 minutes is just fine.

"If you're a newbie, and you would encounter this penalty, that would mean you would die."

In under 15 mins? Thats barely enough time to get off the coast. And why would a newbie on the coast switch servers? Was the first house empty?

It's not important why people switch servers, it however is important to know that it's unlikely that you'll never see this timer even if you're playing legit. I can think of numerous reasons why I would want to switch servers without the purpose of server hopping though. It's also a mistake to think that 15 minutes can't be lethal, by the time you switch servers you could already be hungry and close to starvation.

""It also suffers from the problem that it affects all players and not just those that server hop intentionally.""

If youre not switching for loot, you prolly wont be picking up any items in the first 15 mins anyway.

I would like to state the opposite. If you're not switching for loot, you will still very likely pick up items in the first 15 minutes. What makes you think the opposite I simply don't understand. Perhaps this is your behaviour, but it clearly isn't representative of any average.

""Spawning at anywhere else than the sea isn't a bad idea, but it's far harder to navigate if you are new to the game.""

Its merely a matter of getting used to. Besides, a complete newbie is per definition lost, no matter where he spawns.

There's two things that apply when it comes to navigation. One is needing to know where you are, the other is needing to know which direction you are going. The coast provides you with both of them. Then there's the fact that civilisation is always more common when near water. Without a map or compass, it makes sense for people to follow the coastline. Which will pretty much always get them somewhere no matter which direction they go to. It also serves as a meeting place for people until they venture off to the highly populated areas in the north area.

Excuse me, but if I join a server that is complete shit... I dont want to be punished and wait an hour to join a different one.  So your opinion can eat dirt.

an hour wtf I think everyone needs to put down the god damn crack pipe. It is 5 mins. I agree about leaving it as a low number as the other night I experienced the flip side and I was playing then my game crashed. When I tried to log back in yeah I got the combat logging timer... Shit happens and I waited it out like a good little trooper but if someone wants to make an extream timer you are just going to end up punishing the legit players so it would be like kicking them in the nuts twice.

I think what it is currently will work fine and does work fine and the people crying about it need to take a couple of concrete pills and harden up.

Here's ultimate solution;

- remove kick command from admins since they use it for abuse mostly anyway

- server switching is 20 mins along with your character staying in world for 5 minutes

- reconnecting to same server has no countdown whatsoever

there you go.

I don't get how people know a server has recently restarted.

If a server restarts every 4 hours you only have to witness one restart to know the entire schedule of that server.

For instance, vilayer servers restart at 7, 11 and 3 pm/am Eastern Time US.

It's nice to server hop those at those times, fully geared- for target practice.

- server switching is 20 mins along with your character staying in world for 5 minutes

By the time you're done looting any high risk locations, you'll probably already have spent 5 minutes ingame. It wouldn't do much. Basically the whole idea of "let's just modify the timer" has to go, there's way too little out of the box thinking here. As far as I can see, having solutions integrate with gameplay is always a better idea than bluntly forcing anyone to do anything that they will definitely not like.

There are too many factors with the time. If I join a server and it is desynced like crazy and red links keeps showing up I don't want to stay on that server. I've joined servers that said 60 ping and it took forever to move stuff around in my backpack. Sorry but no I am not going to stay at that server.

Recently the game has been crashing and when I try to rejoin after restarting the game I have to wait. No.