smoq2

5 min cooldown for switching servers is way to little

I don't seem to see any difference in server hopper behaviour with or without that rejoin cooldown timer.

I play on 2h restart servers and most military bases/houses are picked clean within 15 min after restart.

I even stayed near the NEAF and watched what was going on from the hill - 3 instances within first 15 min after restart where some player spawned in one of the barracks run through all the buildings to the other barracks and didn't come out (logged out). I assume this is what happens everywhere else on the map.

My opinion - the timer doesn't help shit. Or maybe it does, but the impact is just too small. Why not increase it to 30 min? Or an hour? Hell, Infestation (aka WarZ) had an hour cooldown if you died, why DayZ can't have an hour cooldown when you switch servers? Or give the player 3 options:

1. Wait an hour and spawn where you logged out.

2. Relocate (not respawn) to the coast and try to make it back.

3. Just rejoin the last played server without any consequences.

There you go! Server hopping and ghosting killed with one stone. :P

because we aren't a retarded game like warz/infestation.

wait a hour......really?

relocate?    bambi hunters now have more to shoot at.

so I can ghost your ass...good idea

• Like 2

When you get kicked from a server you get the same wait time, also if your net drops or sometimes even if a server restarts.

So if i get on a server that restarts 10 seconds later I should have to wait a hour?

This is a game I paid to play not a 20 pound background screen that will sit staring at me for most of my night when these things occur.

If your not finding loot the answer is not to ban more people from the server your on its to find a server other people are not on or!

How about killing / holding up the server jumpers and getting your gear that way??

• Like 1

I don't seem to see any difference in server hopper behaviour with or without that rejoin cooldown timer.

I play on 2h restart servers and most military bases/houses are picked clean within 15 min after restart.

I even stayed near the NEAF and watched what was going on from the hill - 3 instances within first 15 min after restart where some player spawned in one of the barracks run through all the buildings to the other barracks and didn't come out (logged out). I assume this is what happens everywhere else on the map.

That place is still full of hoppers...

I don't get how people know a server has recently restarted.  

Daytime servers with a low population. Or, since providers will reset the server time with each restart, learn what time they reset to, and check the time in server list.

because we aren't a retarded game like warz/infestation.

A game is a game, for you it might be retarded, for me it might not be.

wait a hour......really?

Really.

relocate?    bambi hunters now have more to shoot at.

He wouldn't be shooting at a bambi, but a geared relocated player. Bambi hunters hunt bambis because it's safe. It wouldn't be any more.

so I can ghost your ass...good idea

Sorry, don't understand you here... Are you implying that you like ghosting and support a flawed game mechanic because it gives you and advantage since you can't play?

Edited by retro19

Nah I think 5 mins is fine given the current state of the game.

Given that for example I have no idea when the server resets, I have on occasion joined a server just as it reset and wanted to head on to another one cause I didn't have that long to play. I am fine with being given a 5 min timer in this scenario, but if I was forced to wait an hour I would say fuck it and probably never play again.

Also I have been randomly kicked from servers upon joining, and given a five min timer as a result. As I say if that scenario resulted in me waiting for an hour or starting out at the coast, I'd say "fuck this game".

Edited by DoctorBadSign

When you get kicked from a server you get the same wait time, also if your net drops or sometimes even if a server restarts.

So if i get on a server that restarts 10 seconds later I should have to wait a hour?

This is a game I paid to play not a 20 pound background screen that will sit staring at me for most of my night when these things occur.

If your not finding loot the answer is not to ban more people from the server your on its to find a server other people are not on or!

How about killing / holding up the server jumpers and getting your gear that way??

You got me wrong, I do find loot, because I know how the game works. It's that people exploit certain mechanics and ruin my experience. But back on the topic. One option is to just rejoin the previous server and you can go on like nothing happened. I'm thinking of imposing a cooldown only if the player is trying to change to a different server.

I don't want to kill/hold server hoppers. It would be me exploiting their exploiting. The vicious circle would just continue.

A game is a game, for you it might be retarded, for me it might not be.

Really.

He wouldn't be shooting at a bambi, but a geared relocated player. Bambi hunters hunt bambis because it's safe. It wouldn't be any more.

Sorry, don't understand you here... Are you implying that you like ghosting and support a flawed game mechanic because it gives you and advantage since you can't play?

your logic is so flawed it hurts my head.

go back to warz if you like flawed games....the dev's here at least TRY. warz they promise shit they cant figure out how to ever implement. 

But where does it end?

I mean, in the end, is running and and exploring for loot EVER going to be faster than server hopping? Unless you're trying to cause the majority of players a great inconvenience, server hopping is never going to be stopped with something as simple as a lengthy log-in timer. Rocket needs to reintroduce loot spawn cycles, as well as loot despawning from areas where players spawn in (150m, for example). With a 5 minute wait and 10 minutes of checking the loot and then running out of the loot despawn radius, people would be far less likely to server hop. Instead of making the mechanic too dumb and simple - he needs to refine it. Make it so loot won't despawn if players who aren't logging out are within 50m of that loot. Then make it so loot spawn cycles aren't short enough that people can feasibly camp them.

Essentially, what's in place is a half measure that doesn't fully stop what it's trying to stop. We need a complicated full measure to add some balance back to the game. Tons of servers already have this issue adequately resolved in the DayZ mod.

Edited by t1337Dude

With the last fps drop bug, I had to reconnect pretty often... 5 min was long enough for more than 10 restart on the same server...

Wait 1 hour is completely a retard idea... If you have a bug you're just fucked, or you get kicked.

One of the solution for the hoping is also the lot respawn, even though it will never stop, it will help a bit.

I wish the timer wasn't available when you connect on the same server..

You got me wrong, I do find loot, because I know how the game works. It's that people exploit certain mechanics and ruin my experience. But back on the topic. One option is to just rejoin the previous server and you can go on like nothing happened. I'm thinking of imposing a cooldown only if the player is trying to change to a different server.

I don't want to kill/hold server hoppers. It would be me exploiting their exploiting. The vicious circle would just continue.

how about learning to NOT run the coast and move more inland?

the people bitching about loot are the dumb asses on the coast.

I have never had a problem gearing up on ONE server, I don't hop because I don't have to.  learn where to look and your fine.

if you find a server is looted to hell all the time, stop playing there...find a server less populated and play there.

sure less populated servers are not always as fun, but you find loot.

But where does it end?

I mean, in the end, is running and and exploring for loot EVER going to be faster than server hopping? Unless you're trying to cause the majority of players a great inconvenience, server hopping is never going to be stopped with something as simple as a lengthy log-in timer. Rocket needs to reintroduce loot spawn cycles, as well as loot despawning from areas where players spawn in (150m, for example). With a 5 minute wait and 10 minutes of checking the loot and then running out of the loot despawn radius, people would be far less likely to server hop. Instead of making the mechanic too dumb and simple - he needs to refine it. Make it so loot won't despawn if players who aren't logging out are within 50m of that loot. Then make it so loot spawn cycles aren't short enough that people can feasibly camp them.

Essentially, what's in place is a half measure that doesn't fully stop what it's trying to stop. We need a complicated full measure to add some balance back to the game. Tons of servers already have this issue adequately resolved in the DayZ mod.

its called private hives

I don't see a problem if server hoppers get a one hour wait time....as long the system can differ between server hoppers and "false positives" as already described in this thread: server restarts/crash, being kicked and maybe some other cases.

Just recently: go to server browser, select daytime server (13:42 it said), connect. Hmm, from what i know, 13:42 isn't supposed to be dark night. Okay, bug, just change server "Spawning in 260 seconds". Okay Alpha/Early access. Game connects, looks good so far...what? You were kicked from server? Ooookay, next server...."Spawning in 220 seconds..."

Fight the server hoppers, really do it. Just make sure you do really just fight the hoppers. Please no collateral damage.

Complain about waiting for 5mins to login yet you'll run for an hour through a forest and see nothing to get to a town....

• Like 1

Timer should be intimately connected to any given server population.

The more players in the server, the less waiting time. a 39/40 would connect you in 2 minutes maximum. a 0/40 would take you 20 mins.

Timer should be intimately connected to any given server population.

The more players in the server, the less waiting time. a 39/40 would connect you in 2 minutes maximum. a 0/40 would take you 20 mins.

Yes, because people logging on to empty servers to gear up and then switch to a full server for PVP is exactly what we should be encouraging.

Well, folks want to gear their new characters so they can run out and go pvp asap.  I think...  Besides logout timers, here are a few ideas (not all mine, but some are):

1 - Create "army field camps" that spawn in a handful of a dozen or two dozen possible locations on the map.  They have awesome loot, but they're not in the same place from server to server so it's next to impossible to just hop.  Players actually have to go out and look for them.   

2 - When someone logs out, they come back in a nearby field outside of town.  No more hopping from barracks to barracks.

3 - Safes and lockers that require tools to open.  Tools wear out.  After 4-5 hops your bolt cutter or lockpick set are ruined and you've got to go back into a town to find a new one.

4 - Have military zombies drop loot.  Make them tough and fast and hit hard, but you can get gear by dropping them.  Oh, and make it so you can't axe them (kevlar helmets maybe?) so you have to use guns, which alert other players to your presence.

5 - Instead of a 5 minute wait to log in, make it so a character stands still in the server for 5 minutes before he disappears.  Eve Online used something like this to great effect to discourage combat logging. Could have an exception where if you're 500m away from any buildings or loot spawn points you just log out safely.  

Anyways a few ideas.  Apologies for any spelling or grammar mistakes.  Kinda late for me...   

You do realize once respawning loot happens, this will solve this issue right? Until then you better just get used to this happening. Sorry to put it so bluntly 

Edited by Deity
  • Like 3

You do realize once respawning loot happens, this will solve this issue right? Until then you better just get used to this happening. Sorry to put it so bluntly 

That wont stop server hoppers, ghosters and combat loggers.

Only thing that fixes those are private hives.

• Like 2

The mod had respawning loot, and server hopping was still rampant. And that even tho you could force infinite respawning loot via loot piling.

The combination of loot respawn, logout timer and server switch penalty may, but only may, reduce it to reasonable levels.

Right now i feel as if the 5 minute wait timer is far too long, espicially in alpha! one of the issues i have is that i play with my brother who lives on the other side of the world (long story) so sometimes getting a server can be hard so lets say i find a server and tell him the name but then he can't find it when he searches for it, the next step is for me to join the server and see if he can see it in the friends tab, and usualy it ends up havin 300+ ping for him so i then have to leave my server wait 5 minutes while we keep digging for a server we can both play! this is retarded. or what if you join a fully dark server and you have no light source, well then you get to wait 5 minutes to go look for a server that you can play on, and combat logging was fixed with forcing your character to sit down when you log out which i think is nice :D

Private hives seem not to be right in this stage of the game. 1 hour re-login kinda has flaws. Still the server-hopping is incredible. Any kind of "end-gamish" asset that is server-based might improve the situation. Gives incentive to stay on one server and spend time.