So let me preface this with I'm an idiot.....Now, what does it mean when they say this is in alpha? I realize it means it is a work in progress, but does it progress to Beta and then on to a finished product? 

Also, has Bohemia actually stated what the finished product should look like ie: game play, etc?

Yes, that is a very basic general flow.

I think with alpha they are stating that many things are NOT set in stone and could change entirely or removed all together.

When you buy the game they have blurbs that explain this.

Edited by ChiefMasterKush

Alpha usually means it's not feature complete. Beta means feature complete, but not properly tested. However, these definitions may vary, and the difference between alpha and beta can differ from software to software.

• Like 1

Also, has Bohemia actually stated what the finished product should look like ie: game play, etc?

to a point.. but like everything thoughts and idea's change once some new idea comes along.

for example adding crafting would make "this" useless, and adding "this" would conflict with "this"

its a long hard road with a lot of changes coming.

lets hope the full release is as good as we all hope it will be.

So let me preface this with I'm an idiot.....Now, what does it mean when they say this is in alpha? I realize it means it is a work in progress, but does it progress to Beta and then on to a finished product? 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_release_life_cycle

• Like 1

Alpha is trying to mash all your ideas on to the base code and seeing what works, what doesn't and how far you can push your engine. Then they freeze the code, meaning no new major additions or subtractions (hopefully) at this point. Beta is for getting all those ideas/ mechanics and assets to play well together and as smoothly as possible (overall optimization) before finalizing for retail shipment.

i can only guess that the finished product will look like someting "dayZ" ?

Edited by {Core}BlackLabel

• First generation of a concept, so you've taken it from a drawing board and started to make something.

It is not a polished product and is a general outline of what you want the end result to look like to head towards

Every phase you use trial and error to improve the product and mistakes will be made until you end up with something you and others enjoy.