Sign in to follow this  
Zeeb (DayZ)

<<<< Zombie Improvements. >>>>

Take in mind that even if I do post these suggestions I am aware that the zombies are under development, I just want to make things clear and I do believe alot of people share my opinion on this matter.
Zombies at the moment poses no threat at all, they are more of an visual gameplay mechanic and since the game is about zombie survival the whole current concept is just wrong in my eyes.

There are 5 major improvements that should be done, atleast 1 of them is needed but preferably all 5:

1. Make headshot only on zombies.
(classic indeed, but classic makes it terrifying, imagine 20 zombies running towards you with wobbling heads, I would run without a second thought which would make it interesting for a change)

2. Make zombies faster than players.
(since there is no fatigue system for players it is too easy to outrun them, when playing the mod I feel the zombies are much more of a threat, Ive never died by a zombie in the standalone)

3. Make zombies more dangerous.
(Make them kill you in only a few hits, cause severe bleeding, making them able to grab you when close so you have to use E + Q to break out the same way with handcuffs)

4. Make zombies infectious.
(Thats right, in movies when youre bit youre f*cked, oldschool is the best school. The infection they cause should have a higher probability chance and should be uncurable while antibiotics serve as a temporary cure. When you die from any other cause than a headshot, your body gets reanimated and will walk around with your "character", means it looks like you, acts like a zombie and will drop the same loot that you had on you when you died, it is simply awesome and doable so why the f*ck not?)

5. Make zombies more attracted to sound and vision.
(Shooting a handgun should attract zombies from ATLEAST 200 meters, snipers would go 1km, anything else in between, vision should be nearly the same as a player has, makes prone usuable and viable when going for looting or sneaking through places with zeds)

Kinda hit the jackpot here, not much more to say.

Edited by Zeeb
  • Like 10

Stronger zombies = Less KOS, Realism and Longer gameplay.

I like these ideas

• Like 2

Yeah I just dont want to be bored anymore when going through a town for loot, I want to get excited, aware and scared when searching through a building at night, feeling the fear of the possibility to stumble upon a zombie making the "self pleasure thing" while waiting behind a door or a corner.

I want to fear them, not laugh at them while outrunning them as if I were some olympic running master, zombies should not feel fatigued, therefor they will not get tired and will chase you as far as possible so you either have to lose them doing urban parkour or simply kill them.

Edited by Zeeb
  • Like 4

The idea of us dieing and our bodies being reanimated into the living dead with our loot still on us is, in my opinion, a damn good idea.  Imagine traveling with your group and one of the members doesn't tell the others that he/she is infected.  Suddenly they dissapear and while the group searches, you come upon a large blood covered area in the grass and hear a growling noise behind you.  There stands your friend.. the person you traveled with for the entire game and slaughtered countless of infected with... now your friend wants you to join them.  Haha, damn good idea!!!

• Like 2

(since there is no fatigue system for players it is too easy to outrun them, when playing the mod I feel the zombies are much more of a threat, Ive never died by a zombie in the standalone)

While i agree with the rest of your 4 ideas i suggest we make zombies be both.Some of them fast and some slow.Since they are not dead and their vital organs are kicking,some of them may be in better shape than others.That also means,to make some of them more durable than others randomly.

• Like 3

These zombies aren't the regular undead type. These are Infection or "Voodo" zombies. However i do agree that damage to the body should be nerfed so it takes more than one magazine (30rd) from a M4 to take one down via body shots but one shot to the head should do.

• Like 3

I personally think that zombies should be not as dangerous to new spawns, but more dangerous to people who have kit. Becasue atm All but 1 of my deaths were from zombies, and it was always because I was a new spawn or I hadn't gone to a big city for an axe and I then get caught by a zombie, which I can outrun and I cant beat easily in a fight so I either have to run forever or get killed because running attracts more. Zombies should be more dangerous though to those which have guns and axes, e.g once I find an axe I dont care about sombies anymore they are just a nuisence and I never use a gun on a zombie because I thinks its a waste of ammo. So what I say should happen is that:

1. Zombies should no be able to see/hear people with little gear as much, this would help them avoid them throught stealth rather than being seen by one from through a wall.

2. Zombie hoards, this is apparently going to be added anyway, but these should go through busy places, cherno, stober, etc this would help bandits watch there back not sit up on the top of buildings all day sniping people because a huge amount of zombies may come, this will mean bandits will have to move if they see it reducing the kills.

3. Different types of zombies, zombies right near the coast should be walk only zombies, they can only really walk but when they see you make alot of noise attracting nearby zombies, this makes them easier to escape from but if they see you it makes it hard to loot = New spawns, less running forever down the road by 2 zombies, but hard to get geared if one sees you but at least you dont die as much.

Normal zombies, the ones we have atm, mainly in towns and middle chernarus

Military zombies which act more 'Military', they patrol around airbases mainly and sometimes around normal bases, this would make it hard for bandits to camp in the forests around airbases shooting people.

4. Zombies in buildings, zombies roam inside buildings so e.g you go through a flat and there might be a zombie walking around it which may sneak up on you.

5. Ability to distract zombies, throwing a stone or closing/barricading a door (one that is introduced) will mean zombies will try to break it down, noise from doing this will attrack more zombies but becasue they are trying to knock down the door they are less likely to see you go out another way as the noise from the smashing acts as a sort of zombie magnet made by zombies.

why we cant have simply the classic zombie?

ever played RE Code Veronica?

1 Zombie? LOL

3 ? hahahaha

omfg

50+?? slow walking bullet tanking bastards? Hell yeah

really, it would solve tons of problems and would be more fun than this monkey things we have now

pls bring back the real Zeds
  • Like 1

While i agree with the rest of your 4 ideas i suggest we make zombies be both.Some of them fast and some slow.Since they are not dead and their vital organs are kicking,some of them may be in better shape than others.That also means,to make some of them more durable than others randomly.

Indeed, longer infected zombies shall be slow, while newly infected shall be fast, kind of like how it is in The Last of Us.

These are not undead zombies, they are living infected, so headshots only and infecting players won't fly.  Everything else (except maybe the 'grapple' with a zombie to escape) is a good idea.  I would also say one or the other with zombies being faster and hit harder. (They either run faster or hit harder, and make a mix so say if you're trying to fight off the faster one the stronger one might catch up)

These zombies aren't the regular undead type. These are Infection or "Voodo" zombies. However i do agree that damage to the body should be nerfed so it takes more than one magazine (30rd) from a M4 to take one down via body shots but one shot to the head should do.

Yeah but I like to think that the infection causes congenital analgesia aka CIP. (an illness where the sick does not feel pain)

Which makes them very resistant to body damage, 30 rounds shall put them down or 1 shotgun blast.

You should also be able to break their legs, force them to crawl with just a couple of shots.

Edited by Zeeb

5. Make zombies attracted to sound and vision

Those are the only two I like.

Firstly, headshots only makes no sense because DayZ zombies are living infected, think 28 days later style. Plus, the mouse acceleration in the game right now would make that quite a chore.

As for infection, again, no. The survivors are immune, although this could change in the future.

As for faster zombies, no. I think we need more zombies. The only reason there aren't more zombies already is because they don't respawn, and they're having to cut them back a bit while they optimize the servers. Making more zombies, in my opinion, is better than fast zombies. Zombies were faster than you in the mod, and they weren't dangerous; they just looked cheap, and were annoying.

There's some good suggestions here, but they're only good for other games. DayZ has a bunch of reasons why this stuff wouldn't work.

These are not undead zombies, they are living infected, so headshots only and infecting players won't fly.  Everything else (except maybe the 'grapple' with a zombie to escape) is a good idea.  I would also say one or the other with zombies being faster and hit harder. (They either run faster or hit harder, and make a mix so say if you're trying to fight off the faster one the stronger one might catch up)

but this type would simply starve to death after a while......which "mess" up with the game world that we found in dayz

atm it feels like a mix of 28weeks later meets planet of apes

thats why i suggest the classic RE zombie

capcom did even provide a brilliant background story about them, like:

why they survive even years without "food"

why theyre so slow

why they can take tons of damage

etc etc

the "zeds" we have now dont fit in any category

too fast

too smart (i know its more or less a bug)

too "durable"

btw

did anyone here ever played dead frontier? they did the zombies nearly perfect

Edited by BattleFairy

Take in mind that even if I do post these suggestions I am aware that the zombies are under development, I just want to make things clear and I do believe alot of people share my opinion on this matter.

Zombies at the moment poses no threat at all, they are more of an visual gameplay mechanic and since the game is about zombie survival the whole current concept is just wrong in my eyes.

There are 5 major improvements that should be done, atleast 1 of them is needed but preferably all 5:

(classic indeed, but classic makes it terrifying, imagine 20 zombies running towards you with wobbling heads, I would run without a second thought which would make it interesting for a change)

(Make them kill you in only a few hits, cause severe bleeding, making them able to grab you when close so you have to use E + Q to break out the same way with handcuffs)

(Thats right, in movies when youre bit youre f*cked, oldschool is the best school. The infection they cause should have a higher probability chance and should be uncurable while antibiotics serve as a temporary cure. When you die from any other cause than a headshot, your body gets reanimated and will walk around with your "character", means it looks like you, acts like a zombie and will drop the same loot that you had on you when you died, it is simply awesome and doable so why the f*ck not?)

(Shooting a handgun should attract zombies from ATLEAST 200 meters, snipers would go 1km, anything else in between, vision should be nearly the same as a player has, makes prone usuable and viable when going for looting or sneaking through places with zeds)

I would like to see RE kinda zombies, headshot kills instantly, but shooting a couple of times to their bodies takes them down...more shots can kill them (must be a lot of shots)

I personally think that zombies should be not as dangerous to new spawns, but more dangerous to people who have kit. Becasue atm All but 1 of my deaths were from zombies, and it was always because I was a new spawn or I hadn't gone to a big city for an axe and I then get caught by a zombie, which I can outrun and I cant beat easily in a fight so I either have to run forever or get killed because running attracts more. Zombies should be more dangerous though to those which have guns and axes, e.g once I find an axe I dont care about sombies anymore they are just a nuisence and I never use a gun on a zombie because I thinks its a waste of ammo. So what I say should happen is that:

1. Zombies should no be able to see/hear people with little gear as much, this would help them avoid them throught stealth rather than being seen by one from through a wall.

2. Zombie hoards, this is apparently going to be added anyway, but these should go through busy places, cherno, stober, etc this would help bandits watch there back not sit up on the top of buildings all day sniping people because a huge amount of zombies may come, this will mean bandits will have to move if they see it reducing the kills.

3. Different types of zombies, zombies right near the coast should be walk only zombies, they can only really walk but when they see you make alot of noise attracting nearby zombies, this makes them easier to escape from but if they see you it makes it hard to loot = New spawns, less running forever down the road by 2 zombies, but hard to get geared if one sees you but at least you dont die as much.

Normal zombies, the ones we have atm, mainly in towns and middle chernarus

Military zombies which act more 'Military', they patrol around airbases mainly and sometimes around normal bases, this would make it hard for bandits to camp in the forests around airbases shooting people.

4. Zombies in buildings, zombies roam inside buildings so e.g you go through a flat and there might be a zombie walking around it which may sneak up on you.

5. Ability to distract zombies, throwing a stone or closing/barricading a door (one that is introduced) will mean zombies will try to break it down, noise from doing this will attrack more zombies but becasue they are trying to knock down the door they are less likely to see you go out another way as the noise from the smashing acts as a sort of zombie magnet made by zombies.

I have to say i like the idea of not being seen so much if you're not kitted because if you have no bag full of shit you cant be seen or heard anywhere near as easy. And the different types of zombies scattered around in different locations especially the screamy bastards that cant run i can only imagine how satisfying it would be to get chased out of a town by that get kitted go back and smash his screeching little face in but currently zombies do wander through buildings and they can open doors so you can't even really lock yourslef in a room and have them not come in. In the mod distraction did work you could throw flares or smoke grenades and the zombies would go for that allowing for you to pass on behind and i think that they will defininitey put that back in

No, because the "Zombies" that we have aren't your classic zombies. Like DayZ has always been, we have just ordinary people that are NOT undead, just infected. Think of it being similar to I Am Legend. They are still people with working organs and all. They can only sustain as much pain/damage as a normal human.

Yeah but I like to think that the infection causes congenital analgesia aka CIP. (an illness where the sick does not feel pain)

Which makes them very resistant to body damage, 30 rounds shall put them down or 1 shotgun blast.

You should also be able to break their legs, force them to crawl with just a couple of shots.

They would still bleed out or fall over quickly like normal humans would. Much less than 30 rounds (of what?) would certainly put them down quickly

imo the devs should focus most on being able to put loads of zombies in the world without the crazy FPS/server lag. Hordes would be much scarier than a couple strong zombies. I'd like to see them roam in small or large packs around the wilderness, so when base building comes along you aren't entirely safe 

Edited by Death Dealer

Getting every zombie within 1km (Mind you they're faster than you and just 1 hit = certain death) and having to use headshots only would be the worst. thing. ever.

Also, Rocket has said that there will not be reanimated players.

Yeah but I like to think that the infection causes congenital analgesia aka CIP. (an illness where the sick does not feel pain)

30 5.56 bullets will probably do more damage to a body than one 12 gauge shotgun blast. Seriously, your ideas would all be moot with this statement by the time the Remington 870 gets put in, unless every zombie on the map heard you shoot it.
Edited by Chaingunfighter

I agree with all of the above except no. 2.

Zombies beat by air, but get on me and why zombies have to beat? They have to suffice and try to eat you, unless isn't present? I suggest to make the zombie slower that he would stumble from time to time and fell. But to increase number of the zombie in two or it is more. To make that the zombie you would suffice for clothes, bit, brought down on the earth, but didn't beat hands. :thumbsup: 

Yeah, the zombies are a pretty big project when you think about it:

They not only need to be stronger, faster, and more numerous but client and server stability/effeciency has to reach a point where the game and the servers can handle that sort of load compounded with the player and loot spawns. Scripts for respawning. They would also need sneaking mechanics for the players, detection mechanics for the zombies. New animations, new textures, new models and different values assigned to them for the sake of variety.

• Like 1

Those are the only two I like.

Firstly, headshots only makes no sense because DayZ zombies are living infected, think 28 days later style. Plus, the mouse acceleration in the game right now would make that quite a chore.

As for infection, again, no. The survivors are immune, although this could change in the future.

As for faster zombies, no. I think we need more zombies. The only reason there aren't more zombies already is because they don't respawn, and they're having to cut them back a bit while they optimize the servers. Making more zombies, in my opinion, is better than fast zombies. Zombies were faster than you in the mod, and they weren't dangerous; they just looked cheap, and were annoying.

There's some good suggestions here, but they're only good for other games. DayZ has a bunch of reasons why this stuff wouldn't work.

I agree with this post. Making them faster Sucks!!! they look stupid. More yes need alot more. zombies allways been scary because huge numbers, And one bit and ur done. Most all movies the zombies are slow. that wasnt the threat so much as so fucking many. 1 or 2 usually aint shit 20 30 run! the zombies here in standalone have good speed, looks better far as movement than mod. could they be stronger yeah I can agree to that.faster than us hell no! headshots agree it should be heads shots 1 shot body around 5 to 10 high cal weapone more for low cal weapons. just headshots would make some less challenging type people leave. Some people like the easy road. got to balance it. reborn after being bit then die. shounds good all for it, But cant help think Can rocket pull that off? And what will it do far as lag? 

My biggest issue with zombies other than the current lack of numbers, is that they are still flailing boxers. Zombies, infected or whatever you want to call them should be grabbing, tackling, biting and eating. Melee should be a last resort, not a the go to method for taking out zeds while remaining undetected to other zeds and other players. If if was so easy to melee your way to victory, you think Chernarus would have fell? It is currently just far too easy to sit in the middle of the street, aggro a zed, calmly wait for it to get close, side step it's attack and then crack it in the head with your ax. Far too easy. It was in the mod and it's even easier in the Standalone due to the zeds slow and lengthy attack animations.

I'm all for head shots being the only instant takedown method against the zeds, body shots requiring quite a bit more hits and legs shots slowing them down or forcing them into a prone crawl depending on the caliber used. So as an example I'll use the Makarov, shooting at the legs with a Mak would cause the zed to stumble for a few steps, thus slowing it down, but using a 5.56mm round would be able to disable the leg and force the zed into a prone crawl. The zed should walk through Mak shots to the body, but the head shot would still do the trick. 3-4 shots to the body with something like a 5.56mm round could knock the zombie over, but would be able to get back up and continue pursuit unless you broke line of site while it was down. If we end up getting a .50 cal, I'd be OK with those being a 1 shot kill for torso and head, but no limb shots should ever cause a kill on a zed.

I'm not on board with one of their main detection methods being sight or they would constantly be aggroed by their own kind. I can't honestly picture a zed being able to tell the difference between a zed or a living human being from 100 yards out. I think sight should be their weakest detection method, limited to maybe 20ft and a 45 degree arc in the direction they are looking. This way you don't force players into proning everywhere they go, which I always thought was unrealistic to begin with as it would actually be the noisiest method of travel. Which brings me to sound, I believe they should be heavily sensitive to sound, listening for more unnatural sounds within the environment; gun shots, doors, engines, voice, the opening of cans and such. Basically anything outside of footsteps as once again they would constantly be aggroing each other. I could get on board with running though, so that a running human could aggro them or a running zed that would most likely be running after a human would also aggro them. The other detection method I think they need is smell. You basically wouldn't want to be anywhere in a 10ft radius of a zed or it will smell you, with the exception of being separated by a wall. They should be highly sensitive to the smell of blood and death. Looting dead bodies would be a lot more of a chore and getting cut and bleeding would mean a lot more to the player as well. This could lead to new survival items as well, such as soaps, deodorants and detergents. The more you stink, the greater chance of aggroing a zed. Also causing players to have to find new clothes or get them washed if they had been blood soaked by yours or someone else's blood.

As for the speed of zombies, I could go either way depending on their strength and attack methods. If they remain weak and easy to defeat with melee then I would say make them faster runners. If they are strong and can kill once getting their hands on you, I would say make them as fast as humans. If they go the route of head shots only, then I would say make them the classic walkers that goes along with that classic kill method and you would need massive numbers to keep them fearful.

• Like 1

i'm lifting this thread, so i don't need to make a new one.

posted this on another thread, but: zeds should kill you if they can grab you. or, atleast, there's a very good chance that you would die then.

then i would happily start using my bullets on zeds instead of seeking thrills from PvP.

would also eliminate the need of making huge zed swarms.

Edited by komadose