Sign in to follow this  
igotrage

Time to retire my trusty Mosin?

Hello fellow survivors.

I have been combing the map as a Hero, assisting the needy when they want it and hunting Bandits on my travels.  I normally play with my trusty Camo painted Mosin.  Today whilst wandering the world I happened across my first SKS.   I already had some ammo for it so loaded it up and shot a few zombies with it.  Now the dilemma .....

Do I leave my trusty Mosin behind and move on into the future with my SKS, or do I abandon my new found excitement for a shiny new rifle and retain Ol' Reliable Mosin?

I'm currently on the move with both, but its slowing me down.  I have pretty equal amounts of ammo for both, but as I haven't encountered a Bandit since I got my SKS (I'm miles from the coast) I was wondering what its like against Human targets?  Does it share the Mosins stopping power?  I'm using the PU scope as I still cant find a Long Range, but was just wondering if anyone has experience of the SKS in a combat situation and whether its more effective than the Mosin?

So for all the TL:DR people - Mosin or SKS for a Hero Role?

Thanks in advance

• Like 1

Having gone up against a human with an SKS and myself with a Mosin, I can definitely say it's one sided...

Let go of the Mosin unless you have a long rage scope and have the distance between you and players... Otherwise, the bolt action on the Mosin is enough time to have an SKS unload 5+ bullets in you.

Well, the sks cannot take a long range scope, the sks is semi auto so it fires as fast as you click, it has a speedloader, the mosin does not, it really depends if you want to be sniper or medium to short range combatant i would also suggest the double rifle just added to the game.

• Like 1

It entirely depends on you and how you play really if you like to keep combat at 200+ meters the mosin, anything within 200 the SKS they are very different guns imo.

• Like 1

SKS w/PU beats just about every Mosin except for ranges longer than 500M. Also you can paint the SKS.

I don't tend to snipe much, I just like the stopping power the Mosin packs.

Thanks for your replies.

Also you can paint the SKS.

Sold !

@Steak and Potatoes Im not playing as an unarmed Medic, although respect to you if its your game style.  I prefer taking out Bandits and supporting cities.

SKS I think is good in forest or urban scenarios, medium range fights with good cover. I think it's a better all rounder than the Mosin where as the Mosin is more specialized. If you're being friendly up close, and something goes sideways you'll be more prepared to deal with it. I like it, but I have to admit, I'm a guerrilla fighter.

The Mosin I like when I'm trying to stick to myself, and obviously, fight at longer ranges. It is oh so satisfying to reach out and touch potential threats. Though, now that slipping a sawn off into your backpack takes up relatively little space, the Mosin/Sawn-Off combo can work out pretty well in urban areas. Snipe from a window, handle anyone that breaches your building with your trusty pocket boom stick!

It is also worth mentioning that they are implementing Gews' more realistic muzzle velocity, so soon our weapons will 'feel' different. Might want to experiment after. 

Edited by Rudette

@Steak and Potatoes Im not playing as an unarmed Medic, although respect to you if its your game style.  I prefer taking out Bandits and supporting cities.

You are not unarmed with a melee weapon, if you wish to be a medic weapons come second, healing comes first and killing bandits for a hard on comes last, if that ever comes to terms.  SA has made it harder to accomplish this task but the mentality is the same.  Do you want to heal?  Or do you want to hunt the said people you believe to cause damage in which you have no proof to exploit other than KOS at a distance?

This video displays the Pararescue Squadron I trained for the mod, they never fired a single shot unless in the worst of situations and always succeeded......

Edited by Steak and Potatoes
  • Like 6

Both have their strengths and weaknesses. Use a mosin if you want to use the long range scope. If not, go with the SKS.

slightly less stopping power on the sks and it doesnt use the LRS but the tiny drop  in power reversed with far faster rate of fire sks is definately a better all rounder but for me ill stick to mosinsawn off fnx combo.. (mosin range fnx while in streets of town and sawn off while clearing buildings lol)

Strange didnt think sks could be painted??? quality weapon either way farbetter choice than the spray and prey m4 lol..

Strange didnt think sks could be painted??? quality weapon either way farbetter choice than the spray and prey m4 lol..

The M4 is quite yucky >.> I'll take a Fireaxe over an M4!

• Like 1

I don't believe you can. Got any proof?

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/DayZ#SKS

EDIT: I think i should jump on and try and paint my SKS before you ditch your mosin. If you do ditch it, keep the LRS of you have it, a mosin is easy to replace, a LRS isn't.

Edited by Dchil
  • Like 1

yeah while watching rockets live stream today he even said sks cant be painted...( maybe he ment cant be painted yet or maybe wiki got it wrong who knows never actually tried to paint it)  i played with sks was good and then tossed it to keep mosin.

Edited by SoulFirez

Well i tried to confirm whether or not you could paint an SKS but i ended up having to give some asshole both barrels of a sawn off at around 100K desync because he came up the stairs when i spawned and started axing me, i lost a magnum but saw my first B95. I was then told to get off the internet by my brother because i was sucking all the bandwidth.

I was unable to find any spray paint. Will try again later. If it is that big of a deal to you that you can paint you gun then keep the mosin or try painting your SKS.

Painting the SKS is currently not yet in the game. Not sure why you trust some random website instead of testing it in game.

Oh Oh!

And don't forget the Ruger is coming soon

>.> I can't wait to try it out!

In my opinion drop mosin. This gun took too many nerfs.

I have killed many guys that had mosin becouse I survived their first shot and then I wasted them with SKS or m4 bullet spray, while they were messing with bolt action waiting for chance to shoot again (that never happen, becouse they ded long before).

Painting the SKS is currently not yet in the game. Not sure why you trust some random website instead of testing it in game.

Well i prefer the look of wood and steel over paint. I've only painted one weapon before (mosin), i ditched it when i found a shotgun simply because i wanted it and i didn't want a weapon with stats that bad that looked that bad (to me).

Do I leave my trusty Mosin behind and move on into the future with my SKS, or do I abandon my new found excitement for a shiny new rifle and retain Ol' Reliable Mosin?

Not exactly reliable anymore. Recoil is through the roof and unusable at range unless you have a spotter.