68 members have voted

1. 1. What Type of Bases do You Want to See in DayZ

• Build toThe Extremes Like Rust
    • Small Custom Houses
    • Pre Created Buildings Like Shacks
    • Tents
    • Dont Build Bases
    • OTHER Please Specify as Response

The topic of bases in DayZ has come up time and time again with the devs hinting at a base building system. I have taken some ideas from the community under these threads about base building and put them into a poll. What type of bases or no bases do you want to see in DayZ? 

I want to see an ability to construct a small house coustom made that take Gravity, Structal Stress and Weathering into effect as to simulate what you as a designer are faced with in the world.

Edited by LeeFriendField

I want to see largemouth.

Those are such a joy to catch!

Oh...or where you talking about bases?  :D

Edited by Geckofrog7
  • Like 5

iirc they're thinking of having player created structures underground. If so that's pretty good, as it doesn't destroy the landscape with wanky playerbases. 

I'd rather nothing grand as far as above ground playerbases go, leave that to tents. I saw quite a few eyesores in epoch, and while I'm sure there are a large amount of people who want to show off their masterpiece, underground allows people to extend their base as far as they'd like, without disturbing the environment of chernarus.

Also from what I gathered from epoch, having above ground player bases puts an extra load on the server, because they become part of the server environment. So underground looks like the go. 

• Like 1

I would have voted for costume houses if you haven't put in other. I would like both the option to build underground caves as well as costume houses.

Other.

I have no use for a base. (other than to help myself to yours if i have a need)  If i can't carry it I dont need it. 

As long as they never lead to safe storage i am fine with the concept.

• Like 2

Rather than building I would just like the ability it board up properties and then put yr own furniture in like safes, wardrobes etc. There are loads of buildings So u can pick any remote hut or house somewhere. Unlike the mod buildings were limited so custom rust style buildings were the only option. If custom buildings came an option they shouldn't be over the top unrealistic minecraftwhy structures or e game will turn into mine craft.

Just my thoughts anyway.

• Like 3

I want automatic turrets ^^

I'll spare the overused phrase this time.  :D

Just watch out for...

Suspicious dudes in ski masks.

I picked other, but I mean "caves," like what's in the state of Indiana: http://indianacaverns.com/blog/archives/2012/08/01/indianas-longest-cave/

Realistically? I'd be happy with anything that could offer any kind of permanence (a home. A place that's ME) and temporary safety, but i don't want MinecraftZ or team deathmatch centered around base construction, or have heavily defended chokepoints all over the map. Adding little new "towns" in every pass, forest meadow, or mountain-top would ruin the solitude and peacefulness of the game.

Let me board up windows and lock/fortify doors. Most keys we find shouldn't be car keys, they should be housekeys. Assuming there was no way in or out, and the windows afforded no sniping advantage due to being boarded up, I would bet most players would walk right by a player-owned house without even messing with it, which would be preferable to constant warfare over prefab structures, or constant tent destruction, and would give us better places to log out without having an unfair advantage or the danger of being shot in the face.

I would have fun just looting a housekey, and traveling from house to house, town to town, trying to see which door it fits. For added "fun," it would not be surprising if more than one copy of each key existed in the world. My wife and I have our own housekeys, so if we became zombies, both keys would by lying around our town, waiting for survivors or bandits to find.

I also think giving buildings an additional purpose would lower some of the need to have every building be lootable, which alpha or not, does impact the server. The more loot, and the more times the system has to check whether to spawn more, the less other content in your game, like zombies and additional players.

Also, hi, all.

Edited by McGarnagle

What exactly are the point of bases?  So that one can keep his/her gear?  What if I could sneak in the middle of the night and cut throats?  How are your bases now?

Rust or bust.

Rust set the standard for what base building should be in a survival game.

I want camps and tents and/or the ability fortify pre-existing buildings. Camps to set up a base of operations for skinning, harvesting, and cooking animals. Maybe tanning rack for leather crafting.
Or I want to find a house and board it up. Doesn't need to feel safe. Needs to feel bleak, like the situation.

Nothing extreme like Rust. >.>  Building giant skyscrapers would look silly. Rust is a great game, but, If I want Rust I'll just log into Rust. ;p

Edited by Rudette

I really like the idea of underground bases so they stay hidden and don't interrupt the landscape. Another thing would be locks to keep your gear safe while offline.

I also wouldn't be opposed to finding say a super rare "skeleton key" or something that can open ANY base door with limited number of attempts (say 3-5 locks maximum) to keep things more interesting. :)

I love to see some kind base building in the game. I hope real soon. Rather its barcading house we have. tents for the time being. tell they can get a system up. Or something no where to pots and pans gas stove, And all the nice stuff they allready adding to game. So I cant try them out. But if building base. It should be able to break if hit enough. and not a huge base. Because to big lag the crap out of the server. Just something that you can place items into. And have a way to be able to break into them, but not so easy as say tents where u just look at it. be a key that u have to find crow bar, Or ax beating on it for like 5 min. A way to draw anntention the the bandit. So with any luck he gets owned. I would also love to fire places and animals brought back as soon as possible as well. 60% of the map is woods. Atm no reason to be in the woods. tents, buildable house. As well as animals adds more to the map. where can use the map more. and bandits can find big stash to work for etc. So a win win.. But with no where to stash anything. alot of items can be used right know.

i would like a small hideout somewhere in the woods. a hole in the ground or tent with a camouflage net. thats would be cool. build a house in a zombie apocalypse? of course...... thats very inportant, didnt make any sense. its would be cool if you can occupy allready exist buildings to build a hideout.

Voted tents, but I like the idea of barricades, so you can fortify a house/apartment with

doors that you can lock (and destroy!). Traps would be cool aswell, but just basic stuff, like traps for animals, and can of beans on string so it makes a sound when you walk into it (so I get some time to pack shit up and gtfo of my camp before them bandits feed me rotten stuff)