T4hiti

Just an idea for the future

I just had an idea which could imho be interesting:

A lot of people are wondering about rewards, and it seems that the majority thinks that there shouldn't be any kind of skills rewards, exept for a growing beard. I agree.

But if we think on a longer term, my idea is the following:

What if the game gets some kind of counters (days survived, zombies killed, healed survivors, and so on...[add any idea here]). And let's say after x days survived, x zombies killed, ... you get an access to the rest of Chernarus' story and map? There would be somewhere upnorth a new zone surrounded by huge walls (imagine something like the wall in Game of Thrones) reserved for long surviving player with less food, less animals, more zombies, less weapons, [add any idea here] where surviving becomes harder. A new background storyline is possible with (for exemple) the development of a militia, any kind of new government, [add any idea here] would have grown.

This is just an idea, anyone feel free to input other suggestion.

It sounds like a reward, but is it really??

(sorry for my english)

I don't think this is something we'll ever see in DayZ. "Achievent" type counters only drive people to do certain stuff more and more, and therefore IMO detract from the whole sandbox thing. I also don't think that having survived x days longer than someone else is going to magically grant you access to some stuff. Background information on the Virus etc will be able to be found by all players hopefully in an easter-eggsy fashion. Survivng will become harder anyway, as patches are pushed. 

Everything is player driven in DayZ. So if a government is going to be set up, it will be made and enforced by the players. 

Good idea, but does not fit in with what DayZ is trying to be IMO.

That doesn't sound like a good idea for DayZ.  DayZ isn't restrictive.  If you want to run straight to a military base from the coast you can.  There's no real good/realistic way to close off an area, large walls don't make much sense.  People don't build large walls now a days (we don't need to, no need to keep out marauding armies since now a days they can just go over/around or drop bombs on the wall ((Research Maginot Line)) ), not only that but who would be the one allowing access to the walled off city?  Rocket wants this game to be player driven, and there won't be any NPCs.  As for story, it'd be nice if we could find newspapers or journals to try and figure out exactly what happened, but it shouldn't be linked to any sort of reward.

I don't think an area for long time survivors would benefit anything. Why would the survivors even enter that area if it's harder to survive there, and there's less loot?

What I would like to see, is some kind of statistics on my "main" screen before I login.

Like "Days Survived: xx" (Think actual days in game, so it's not statistics farming when offline) and "Health Status: xxxx"

I know I would have my adrenaline pumping even before I'm logged in to the game, if I see my character with a "19 days survived (IN GAME!)" and "Health Status: Starving, Dehydrated", and maybe even current health status animations of my character with the worn/torn clothes (Bleeding if you're bleeding?).

Just like the character you have before you login now - just with the health status animations.

Because then I'd propably remember where I was the last time I logged out, and I'd be prepared for the condition my character was in.

I thought it would be a good idea, just because ppl are already complaining about how "easy" is this game when you're full geared. It would be like switching the game from normal difficulty to hard. And they would also appreciate to play with "more experimented" players. But as I said this is just my opinion.

Furthermore, building giant walls doesn't seems so silly when it comes to zombies invasion.

When you say that NPCs have no place in this game, i think you're right, but what about dead NPCs ? :)

In fact i guess that for the mod, they had to add more maps just to renew players interest in the game, I don't see any difference with my suggestion, except that it may add more background to the game (more than easter eggs imo).

I've been thinking about this and have what I think might be a decent and relevant idea: character-memorized security codes and lock combinations which only your character knows-- not even you can learn them, so you can't remember them if your character dies. 
The map could contain locked doors, lockers and chests which would only be opened by a specific combination code. Entry to these locks would sometimes be impossible as no combination info would spawn, but sometimes combination info would be randomly written on a piece of paper in the vicinity of that town, and the doors could also be forcibly opened with large explosions.
Knowledge of the combinations to these locks could be passed on from your character to other characters, eg.: "Here's the combination to a safe in Novy Sobor's green piano house," "G'day m8 here's a code to open a door to the concrete factory on the east coast."

Some of these combinations would be linked to electrically powered doors, so players would have to get Elektro's power grid going before they could utilise most of the door codes. Players would then have an extra reason to keep their players alive even after being mugged/tortured/imprisoned, because that valuable door knowledge would remain of doors that open to rare-loot-spawn areas in major towns which are normally inaccessible.

Dead NPCs are not NPCs, they're non moving objects.  And yes, big walls would make sense in a zombie apocalypse, but big walls take time to build, time you don't have when the horde of infected are running towards you.  Rocket has repeatedly said that players are the only ones immune to the zombie virus, so there won't be any NPCs to guard an area, build a town, hunt down bandits or whatever.  If you want a 'safe' town clear of zombies, you need to get some other players to help you clear a town, put up barricades (not yet added in) and patrol the area to keep out undesirables.

I still think there should be some reward for just playing the game and putting in the hours. A lot of players are over the 100 hour mark in this game easily, it would be a good idea to have some sort of reward for "time served" in the game, after all you are putting yourself out there to be shot and eaten, only to start again with nothing. Maybe something like.. do a hundred -500  hours game play,

and you get a bonus 2 slots in your combat pants.. (hahahaha ok that sounds dirty, make it in any back pack you wear if you like) or you could offer a choice of say.. 5 options.. "2 extra slots in pants, or can carry 2 extra bullet stacks in any ammo tin, can carry hunting knife and a stack of firewood without using up any slots, a free "stash" site of 8-10 slots, etc.

Technically it doesn't really give you a massive advantage in game, but it just makes life a little bit easier and a lot more resentful to dying. "ok i died, but i have some food and water stashed to help me, and if i can't find a back pack straight away, at least i can carry a couple of extra things in my pants. That way also, because you are sinking your (precious) time into the game (helping with testing) you are encouraged.

A free stash site would be good anyways, at least you could dump some supplies to help yourself a leg up when you die next. It will also encourage new players to "chase the dragon". Its a simple idea, reward good behaviour (good behaviour being playing this game over others... :P ) As a result there is always an endless supply of people playing, and although its a hard hit when you die suddenly, in the long run you are ok with it because at least i get.. *reward chose* for playing.