dewi

How The Developers Did Things In The Wrong Order

I don't believe the developers thought through their priorities on this latest patch. Players were server hoping to circumvent the loot respawn issue, but now with the penalties to server switching, it is damn hard to play the game. Loot respawning between server resets should of been done first, since now you spawn and all the towns in the vicinity are completely looted by players who were there first, and with your player starting hungry now instead of thirsty, you need to find supplies even quicker. I don't understand why the developers tried to fix the server hopping issue first before fixing the actual problem there? I'm not saying it wasn't an issue that needed fixing, combat loggers definitely needed to be stopped, but as I see it if you actually made loot respawn, most people wouldn't be server hopping in the first place. Any input here? Am I missing something? As I see it, we're now running around, visiting places long since looted, not wanting to face the 5 minute penalty of switching servers while our character inevitably dies from starvation before we can find any supplies.  

Players weren't server hopping to circumvent loot not respawning, they were server hopping to gear up very quickly with little effort.  If you play legitly, as in moving from place to place collecting loot as you go, the lack of loot respawn shouldn't be an issue.  Frankly the server hopper fix is low hanging fruit they can do while building the ladder to get to stuff like zombies and loot respawning.

• Like 3

You can still switch 12 servers per hour, I honestly don't think that's harsh enough of a penalty. If you can't find loot you're probably still on the coast on 40/40 servers.

• Like 2

the game is supposed to be harsh, brutal.

if you think its hard now, think again. it will become much more unforgiving once its finished.

as long as murder is death cause #1 and not starvation or infection, the game is not hard enough.

I don't understand

then i suggest you research how agile software development works, because i bet my remaining bottles of Havana Club that the dev team uses scrum strategy...

Edited by e47
  • Like 2

e47, on 06 Feb 2014 - 6:41 PM, said:e47, on 06 Feb 2014 - 6:41 PM, said:

the game is supposed to be harsh, brutal.

if you think its hard now, think again. it will become much more unforgiving once its finished.

as long as murder is death cause #1 and not starvation or infection, the game is not hard enough.

then i suggest you research how agile software development works, because i bet my remaining bottles of Havana Club that the dev team uses scrum strategy...

I've logged 100 hours into this alpha because it is harsh and unforgiving, the challenge is great and overcoming situations gives immense satisfaction, but penalizing players for switching servers to find loot because loot respawns are nonexistent instead of fixing the loot problem itself seems backwards to me. I understand people camping airfields and solely switching servers there could of been a problem, but when you're a fresh spawn frantically running from looted town to looted town just to find food before your character dies for the 2nd or 3rd time from starvation, I don't see the challenge there. Saying that this isn't a problem is straight denial. Getting unlucky and having to spend your first hour of fresh spawn playtime to get anywhere that has loot doesn't seem like a smart design process to test the game. The measures they took to stop server hopping are great, just a bit too early and in the wrong order imo.

Edited by dewi
  • Like 1

I've logged 100 hours into this alpha because it is harsh and unforgiving, the challenge is great and overcoming situations gives immense satisfaction, but penalizing players for switching servers to find loot because loot respawns are nonexistent instead of fixing the loot problem itself seems backwards to me. I understand people camping airfields and solely switching servers there could of been a problem, but when you're a fresh spawn frantically running from looted town to looted town just to find food before your character dies for the 2nd or 3rd time from starvation, I don't see the challenge there. Saying that this isn't a problem is straight denial. Getting unlucky and having to spend your first hour of fresh spawn playtime to get anywhere that has loot doesn't seem like a smart design process to test the game. The measures they took to stop server hopping are great, just a bit too early and in the wrong order imo.

I don't think you quite get it. They didn't fix it to stop people from logging into new servers to get new gear, they did it so people wont log out from combat.

it isnt a problem because we dont have finished gameplay yet.

at current stage, we have only disconnected parts, some are working, some are not working, some are not yet implemented and may have placeholders or just be missing. thats nothing unusual.

and as its not a problem, it doesnt need a fix.

actually - again: at current stage - and this is pure speculation - it could as well be done on purpose as part of the test, evaluating average time-to-starvation after the hunger/thirst tweaks. of course you cant really gather data on that if everyone is stuffed.

if we're at the end of the beta, approaching the release candidate stage, and you still feel that the loot is unbalanced, you will have all my attention. at this stage its pointless

Edited by e47
  • Like 1

e47, on 06 Feb 2014 - 7:43 PM, said:

actually - again: at current stage - and this is pure speculation - it could as well be done on purpose as part of the test, evaluating average time-to-starvation after the hunger/thirst tweaks. of course you cant really gather data on that if everyone is stuffed.

if we're at the end of the beta, approaching the release candidate stage, and you still feel that the loot is unbalanced, you will have all my attention. at this stage its pointless

point taken

• Like 2

it is damn hard to play the game.

DayZ is supposed to be just that. If players wouldn't abuse server switching they wouldn't have gotten used to abundant ressources >>> they would know how to play the hard game.

You can still switch 12 servers per hour, I honestly don't think that's harsh enough of a penalty. If you can't find loot you're probably still on the coast on 40/40 servers.

That is still too much imo...

And afaik they intend to let loot respawn but not at a set time or and/or with a player as a trigger

Edited by Enforcer
  • Like 1

1. @rocket2guns Any word on respawning loot? How long til we see it implemented?

2.  Favorite 

More

Expand

@BigHoss_ I was supposed to be doing that this week, however this has taken up all the time supposed to be for that

It's really really fun now as far as I'm concerned. It's challenging. You have to head as far west as quickly as you can. Search only buildings with their doors closed. Drink from a well until hydrated and as soon as you find that one looked over can of food, eat it and sprint far far west. The towns out there that aren't near military areas will be oases. Good luck man, enjoy it, it's supposed to be hard.  

It's really really fun now as far as I'm concerned. It's challenging. You have to head as far west as quickly as you can. Search only buildings with their doors closed. Drink from a well until hydrated and as soon as you find that one looked over can of food, eat it and sprint far far west. The towns out there that aren't near military areas will be oases. Good luck man, enjoy it, it's supposed to be hard.  

It's not hard, it's just an ultra boring hiking simulator. I feel awful because I convinced literally 12 of my friends to buy this game, and it's so boring that you basically have no chance of getting gear in order to actually get to fight anything. It's 99% walking 1% shooting/dying, it sucks, the loot nerfs wrecked this game atm.

Edited by vegetavegeta

I myself and my lass are two of the so called "server hoppers", >but< we dont do it for loot. We do it for two major reasons. 1. Mostly for server instability where you bounce around and have no idea where each other is, as fake versions of ourselves go running off when we are actually stood still. and 2. when the server starts to fill up with people, (since we stick to the lowest population possible), we switch then too. We spent 12 hours stocking up, made it to one of the airfields the other day, as i was busying myself trying on a helmet and wondering why my beret wasnt on the floor where i dropped it since stuff still vanish's at times, all of a sudden someone unloaded an M4 into my back. My lass ran off, so a fresh restart for me. She still had all her gear though, spent a few hours trying to link back up, woke up today, logged on, i was yet another fresh character, and so was she.... So whilst people gun others down in the back and steal what you spent hours finding, the servers will also blank your characters now if you log too often i take it, even if your doing it for server stability, out of control lag and keeping to quiet servers. Two sides to the coin of server logging really. Shame about the ones who spoil it i guess. 

People are working on different things. People go at different paces.