Wayze

Do we want a reward for surviving?

Do we want a reward for surviving?  

346 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want a reward for surviving?

• Yes
    • No

It's just like any other game dude. Once progress stops there is nothing left to do, so what do players do? Cause mayhem and chaos. I know there are plenty of players that don't KOS, I'm simply saying alot of KOS is due to just being bored and having no ability to advance in the game.

You are saying that if death is harsher, people will play less cautiously? The reason Day Z plays the way it does, with all these intense interactions that get your blood pumping is because of permadeath. It's because there is a penalty for dying. If you make that penalty harsher it will only add to that tension driven gameplay.  It will reduce the amount of players just fucking about even more.

The majority reason anyone KOS is because they're bad at the game, or haven't been playing it long.  Anyone who's played Day Z for a long time knows that senselessly hunting and murdering fresh spawns along the coasts is boring as fuck.  Anyone's who played also knows that seeing a player running up to you, who has obviously seen you, trying to engage in dialogue, could've killed you three times over already.  The KOS gets boring, the map is entirely too big for 40 players, especially when the interactions last 5 seconds as the panicked noob you encountered opens fire and gets killed before they knew what happened.

When it comes to playing survival games, there is no reward of surviving. However, the player(or you) could accomplish anything from gathering food/drinks to rearmed. It up to the player to create their goal of what they need to survive in DayZ.

So you're saying we should dumb it down to the masses,  cater to the lowest common denominator. 

there are thousands and thousands of games that have skill progression, go play one of those.

Edited by Shortbus
  • Like 1

In case you didnt read the entire thread. Many people disagree with that view point.

In case you didn't read the entire thread (not being an ass, that's just how you begin every post, and I'm mimicking it to make a point), GTR, many people agree with his viewpoint.

Edited by louist

Your reward should be the materials you've gathered, the structure(s) you've built, and the vehicles you've repaired.

• Like 1

The majority reason anyone KOS is because they're bad at the game, or haven't been playing it long. Anyone who's played Day Z for a long time knows that senselessly hunting and murdering fresh spawns along the coasts is boring as fuck. Anyone's who played also knows that seeing a player running up to you, who has obviously seen you, trying to engage in dialogue, could've killed you three times over already. The KOS gets boring, the map is entirely too big for 40 players, especially when the interactions last 5 seconds as the panicked noob you encountered opens fire and gets killed before they knew what happened.

There is a huge difference between KoS and hunting new players. Your personal sense of "moral superiority" aside, there's nothing you can demonstrate that differentiates a player who kills on sight and one who doesn't besides their actions. To claim that those who kill on sight are bad at the game or new to it is nothing but demonizing a group of people you do not like.

Edited by louist

This isn't an mmo or whatever. No skills. Just no

Sorry, but DayZ is a lot closer to an MMO than a simple FPS. Just sayin'. ;)

• Like 1

Your reward should be the materials you've gathered, the structure(s) you've built, and the vehicles you've repaired.

Once base-building is implemented, I do believe we'll see some stabilizing of the community, as people begin to tie themselves to specific servers. In my experience, that leads to more structured interaction, more rivalries and alliances as people begin to routinely interact with the same players.

Right now, every player you meet is an unknown entity. You have to guess as to whether they are hostile or not. And chances are, they're hostile. Which leads to more blind violence. Once people get a feel for specific individuals, they have a sense of who is trustworthy and who is not.

That said, DayZ has never done a good job of making players unique enough to recognize without nameplates (which are problematic at the best of times), so mistakes are frequently made, even within a set community.

Sorry, but DayZ is a lot closer to an MMO than a simple FPS. Just sayin'. ;)

Rocket also describes it an MMO, which rather invalidates his point.

Rocket also describes it an MMO, which rather invalidates his point.

BF and CoD are also called MMO's.  In fact pretty much all online games are now called MMO's.  

In case you didn't read the entire thread (not being an ass, that's just how you begin every post, and I'm mimicking it to make a point), GTR, many people agree with his viewpoint.

You seem to have missed the point....

What he said was a statement, not a viewpoint. Here I copy and paste for you.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TripX7, on 07 Feb 2014 - 10:55 PM, said:snapback.png

Surviving has no reward. It doesn't matter if you live 70 days or 1. It makes no difference. There is currently no goal or reason to survive other than acquiring gear. But once you are past that then what? This should be addressed.

In case you didnt read the entire thread. Many people disagree with that view point.

The only reward I want for surviving is the ability to grow a magnificent MAN BEARD!

there are thousands and thousands of games that have skill progression, go play one of those.

So if DayZ implements a skill progression will you quit playing it?

1581 users are online (in the past 15 minutes)

your beans was 10% of that figure.

If its true what you say that "tells you all you need to know" then 90% dont agree.

thats not even the total forum users, just last 15 minutes.

Last time I checked there was 20,000 people in game.

Makes your 100 beans rather insignificant now.

If we had rewards for say crossing 100 miles on foot or in a vehicle is to get to see a location of a mission supply truck filled with goodies on your map...Awesome and doable

Well beards, but I would like to see the character look more "scruffier" as the beards would do. I think majority forgot that there are female models also and well beards...

I just think bambies should look like bambies and survivors...well look the part. I'm thinking in the lines of "it would be humiliating to look bambi".

You seem to have missed the point....

What he said was a statement, not a viewpoint. Here I copy and paste for you.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TripX7, on 07 Feb 2014 - 10:55 PM, said:snapback.png

And many people agree with that viewpoint, GTR. You seem to ignore that, quite routinely.

And many people agree with that viewpoint, GTR. You seem to ignore that, quite routinely.

How can they agree with that viewpoint when it is not a viewpoint but a statement.

A statement is either true or false.

So you would be ok with guns being rare as hens teeth and limited to Mosins? I'm all for that...

Guns should be rare. Ammo even more so. I would like to feel like a rich mofo if i have a loaded 45 and a fully loaded spare mag.  A functional Mosin with a few rounds and I would be king.

• Like 1

Congratulations on creating the dullest game ever.  If players have no reason to interact with one another beyond entertainment before they shoot one another in the back of the head, or to troll each other; this game will be boring as fuck and will remain pointless as it is right now.  Sorry but if there's absolutely no threat or reason to kill NPCs, the game will be boring.  If there's no skills or professions to actually give characters any customization or characteristics, all other players will be are threats to your survival, so why wouldn't you kill them on sight?

Tell me what is wrong with being the (according to you) "dullest game ever"?  It is not dull for many of us. To us dull is the cookie cutter mmo's that fill the interwebs. 

Will DayZ appeal to a large enough audience to sustain itself? maybe not, time will tell. I would rather see it die being true to the anti-game theme than see it morph into just another ho hum time sink.

Give the vision the time it needs to evolve. If the finished product is still dull to point it's continuance cannot be sustained then so be it. I for one would have no problem paying a monthly sub if that’s what it takes to keep the "vision" alive.

I agree that the game needs more depth, that is part of why I put my money in on an early access game. So they can fund more depth. But that depth needs to be things that bring players together (in cooperation AND conflict). In short, something that is rewarding enough to value your life less, not more.

If you tie someone to their character too hard in a game that has permadeath, the forums will be flooded with rage-quitters and threats of lawsuits for dying from a ladder.

In short, you will die in this game, no matter how good you are. So the depth has to take that into account.

The reward is not having to find all the loot again :)

I can see atm its quite boring to stay alive, but in a year i think it will be most important you stay alive as long as possible.

Dont need any other rewards, thank you.

Personally, I actually like re-gearing after a long time surviving. At a certain point my life and the lives of my squadmates don't really mean anything to me, I start doing a lot more dangerous things and taking bigger risks until I die and can enjoy searching for loot again. It doesn't have anything to do with the amount of gear in-game currently, but more just knowing that the character I've worked so hard for is just a bambi under all of that armor, if that makes any sense. There's nothing really to work towards in my eyes is what I'm saying.

What I would like is something that would make me actually cringe if I died after surviving a month simply because I lost it, something that is character based instead of gear based. That would be something worth fighting for or even worth giving up during an encounter with someone else in the hopes they might spare my life. Gear can always be found again, but something that made me truly feel a sense of loss at the point of my character's death would be amazing!

Edited by Sab
  • Like 1