Sign in to follow this  
carcinovich

Trading with other players

Simple idea, some of which has been alluded to before. Here's my take, and how it could work in-game:

• You can put your backpack into your hands, with could be the universal "I only want to trade, I'm not a threat" sign.

• With your backpack equipped, you approach another player. You must be facing each other. If they have a backpack equipped also, you'll see an option that reads "Request trade." The other person then sees "Accept trade offer" and presses "F" in turn.

• A trade window pops up, which has four boxes: 1) Other player's inventory (left), 2) You will get (top), 3) You will give (bottom), 4) Your inventory (right).

• Here's a mockup I whipped up to demonstrate what the trade window could look like:

eQSe4GX.png

• The trade window would be a drag-and-drop window, very similar to the current inventory screen. You would be able to see the other person's items, helping to facilitate trade, instead of asking them what they have (and in what condition).

• Example usage:

"Yo, I see you got mad beans, bro. I will totes trade you this sweet scope for a few cans of the stuff, ya dig?"
    "Sure man, that's a nice scope, pristine and all that jazz. Hellz yeah. I'm down like a prom dress, fo shizzle."
    "Right on brotha, let's trade like yo motha."
    "Do eehht!!"

• Once you click "Accept trade," it means you're satisfied with what's being offered, and that you're ready for trade. It then marks that you're "Ready"

• Once you're ready, if the other player changes what they're offering, it automatically changes your status back to "Not ready" and you have to click "Accept Trade" again to confirm any changes that player may have made.

• Once both parties have clicked "Accept trade" and are ready, the trade is made.

• "F" cancels the trade-window at any time. You're left staring into each others' beautiful eyes, holding backpacks. Where you then both proceed to wearily back up, just in case the other person decides to murder you for no good reason.

Rocket mentioned how he enjoys the breadth and depth of Eve Online, which also allows direct-trading. This is a very similar approach, and is confirmed to work well.

This may provide a new and interesting way to interact with other players without killing them on sight, or holding them up and robbing them out-right. Or staring at the ground, dropping items, hoping they don't axe you when you're not paying attention.

Thanks for reading. And as always, beans for your thoughts.

Edited by carcinovich
  • Like 11

like it would love to see something like this put in, so we dont have to keep droping iteams on the ground.

• Like 2

I think the fact, that an unsatisfied customer can simply shoot the shit out uf you makes up for alot of the anxiety that comes with dropping an item for trade purpouses.

I think the fact, that an unsatisfied customer can simply shoot the shit out uf you makes up for alot of the anxiety that comes with dropping an item for trade purpouses.

That's why you're both equipping your backpacks into your hands. Kinda like having your hands up. It's a mutual sign of "I'm friendly -- pull out you're backpack and we can safely approach" -- but you can also run like the wind if they start to unequip their backpack and begin to pull out a gun. It will probably take enough time for you to gain some distance.

Edited by carcinovich

That's why you're both equipping your backpacks into your hands. Kinda like having your hands up. It's a mutual sign of "I'm friendly -- pull out you're backpack and we can safely approach" -- but you can also run like the wind if they start to unequip their backpack and begin to pull out a gun. It will probably take enough time for you to gain some distance.

You didnt catch  my point buddy, what I meant is, that you dont have to be afraid that if you agree on a trade and you drop an item, the other one steals it and walks away, as he perfectly knows, that in that case, you will obtain the moral right to kill him and at least take back whats yours.

• Like 1

You didnt catch  my point buddy, what I meant is, that you dont have to be afraid that if you agree on a trade and you drop an item, the other one steals it and walks away, as he perfectly knows, that in that case, you will obtain the moral right to kill him and at least take back whats yours.

Ah, gotcha.

Also, on a side note, trading through a window may be a fairly safe tactic. Keeps some distance but still allows for items to trade hands.

I like the idea except players shouldn't see each other inventories. Verbal communication will be enough and you still will have some space to negotiate (with your cards hidden).  

• Like 2

I like the idea except players shouldn't see each other inventories. Verbal communication will be enough and you still will have some space to negotiate (with your cards hidden).  

I'm mixed on this. It could work in your favor either way...

If your inventory were to be shown, the person you're trading with may see something that's of high value to them (ex: a scope for a Mosin, that you just happened upon and picked up along the way), where verbal communication may not even identify the possible trade.

On the flip-side, not showing your hand could give you an advantage -- for instance, by saying you're down to your last can of beans (when you're actually fully stocked), could negotiate something of higher value for said can of beans.

Additionally, showing your inventory could get you killed, or not, depending on the situation. If you have a lot, it could create envy. If you don't have much at all, it could generate sympathy. Not showing your inventory could get you killed just on the possibility that you might have a lot of loot. But that's not the point; trading would still have its risks. Everything in this game has its risks -- nothing is truly "safe." The idea is to interact with more players in more interesting ways.

It all depends on the situation. Either way, I'd be extremely happy with trading. I lean towards showing both inventories to make trades as quickly and efficiently as possible, even across language barriers.

Edited by carcinovich

Very nice, and to make it funny I in fact have traded three cans of beans and bottle of water for a pristine PU scope, I ran into a babmi at the airport near krasno, he was hungry and thirsty, and I was looking for a scope, he asked me not to shoot and I didn't, after a short conversation he said he has a scope and he'll give to me for some food and drink, done deal.

Window like that would make the exchange much easier and reassuring for both of us. He was afraid of being shot and I was worried he might try to knock me out. 

• Like 1

Arguably the protector cases could  fulfill the whole "I'm holding this because I want to trade" idea.

• Like 1

Arguably the protector cases could  fulfill the whole "I'm holding this because I want to trade" idea.

Brilliant.

I'm definitely keen on promoting trade between players, although not on anything that restricts the actions of players (friendly or otherwise). Mostly a good idea - I mucked around with a less involved idea (such as having a hand signal animation for trade (eg 'time out'). I think it needs to be emergent but tools like this could help.

• Like 1

I have often thought about having something like this, a carry over from my days as an mmorpg player I suppose! But it would be convenient.

My only concern would be to just make sure the accept trade prompt is small enough that people wouldn't abuse it melee combat by throwing an unexpected pop up in your face to distract you.

Edited by Rudette
  • Like 1

I have often thought about having something like this, a carry over from my days as an mmorpg player I suppose! But it would be convenient.

My only concern would be to just make sure the accept trade prompt is small enough that people wouldn't abuse it melee combat by throwing an unexpected pop in your face to distract you.

Yeah, which is why I was thinking that you'd both have to pull out your backpacks to facilitate trade. That way it's always mutual (and disarming).

• Like 1

I think its better to have a cancel button instead of just pressing F to cancel. but thats only because I have my action button bound to my left mouse.

• Like 1

I'm liking this idea... However, I could care less if the backpacks are in the hands. This has a major advantage of not having to wait for 2 minutes for something to spawn on the ground.

Players should be able to elect to show their inventory... between friends this could make transactions quicker and simpler.

• Like 1

Will not do this if it involves me putting my gun outta my hand.

What is the problem with talking to the "trader" and dropping stuff on the ground and taking it from there?

Direct trade, is a great idea imo

However, allowing the other player to see your inventory is definetly not.

It would make a "trader role/style" of play very difficult indeed. As most traders do their work based on trading up. example someone offer an item in exchange for your "best gun", a smart trader offers a pistol, claiming its the best he has, meanwhile he has a stock of assault rifles. You can see how showing your inventory in a trade, makes this not work at all. That is just one example, I could probably think of more.

As for the bag in hand animation thing, mmm I need more time to think about that.

Edited by Skyline-GTR
  • Like 2

This was my first thought. I think by default the inventories should be hidden and a button available for you to show your whole inventory if you choose to do so.

• Like 1

Ah, gotcha.

Also, on a side note, trading through a window may be a fairly safe tactic. Keeps some distance but still allows for items to trade hands.

The thing I like most about yer idea is, that you can control what the other guy is doing, while you search your stuff for tradeables. Yet again, you do not see, what is going on around you, so that a third person could approach, see the two of you with your pants down and slap you both silly for your goodies. So no matter what you do, you risk your freakin life all the way, thats what we all love about DayZ :)