Sign in to follow this  
illville502

KoS or Share Beans?!?!?!

Alright after several weeks of trial & error in identifying heros from bandits, I've come up with this.

EVERYONE is a fricking bandit.

You can tell me you're friendly all you want but I've lost faith in anyone in or around Chernarus. Doesn't matter if you're in undies,  have a backpack full of 9 volts, walk around the coast giving away free beans, running up bleeding talking about "Help me!" or fully geared out.

A gun + a mask = full release from whatever gun I have in my hand currently.

I've tried to go with the motto, "Live & let live", but I'm pretty sure who ever came up with that saying was smoking something strong. I'd really love to trust people on this game & have someone prove me wrong for a change but I see no hope for the current state of DayZ.

I KOB: KIll on Beans.

And basic math taught to me by Juicy J told me that A gun + a mask = Cash.

• Like 1

Crying about it wont do anything but once vehicles and shit are in the game people will have other things to do then running on the beach killing fresh spawns. At the moment there is nothing to do. 

I KOB: KIll on Beans.

And basic math taught to me by Juicy J told me that A gun + a mask = Cash.

I was actually listening to this song when I was writing this post. ;)

• Like 1

I was actually listening to this song when I was writing this post. ;)

Your post made me look up this song and listen to it, ergo beans!

is their any point to this other then whining?

There is no crying coming from me actually. I'm ok with death. I welcome it. Each respawn is a new adventure. I was just stating what I've seen in my travels in Chernarus. Hope to see you in a server one day. I'll be popping shots off in your general direction for sure.

Actually i'm not a bandit - and i've met quite a few people who aren't either.

You dont just run up to people yelling "Friendly! Friendly!" are you? Those people get shot all the time.

Because they are annoying.

• Like 5

Crying about it wont do anything but once vehicles and shit are in the game people will have other things to do then running on the beach killing fresh spawns. At the moment there is nothing to do. 

yup like driving down to the beach to kill fresh spawns

• Like 1

Actually i'm not a bandit - and i've met quite a few people who aren't either.

You dont just run up to people yelling "Friendly! Friendly!" are you? Those people get shot all the time.

Because they are annoying.

Nope

I did that in a my first few days but realized it was a horrible idea. Don't get me wrong guys, I've come across several random folks who were trustworthy, but it seems to be a 1 in 20 chance. lol

I honestly love the way the game speeds up on player interaction so I promise I'm not complaining.

The beaches are full of bandits, who though running about yelling "Friendly, friendly!" made them immune to bullets and axes. After repeating their dangerously stupid behavior over and over, they concluded that everyone else were KOS bandits and decided to become a KOS bandit themselves.

Other friendly players decided to draw another conclusion and realized that if you come too close to other players, annoy other players and scare other players, you might just find yourself respawning on the beach.

You don't have to stop being friendly.

But you have to stop being a liability to other players.

• Like 5

My motto too ... Don't trust anyone ... worked for me so far ... sometimes lonely, but every now and again you can meet the odd person and have a good gameing session together ... :)

Play on EU servers, I play on on both EU and US and on EU there are less annoying/KoS players, or maybe I am just lucky

Edited by Matej

I don't nessesarly kill people for their stuff, I kill people because I'm afraid. I would have to kill other players so I could live or escape from combat and lose prusuit by simply running away by going in a zig-zag pattern rather than run straight or combat-log. If I were to log-out in a middle of a fight, I would have been killed if my avatar was sitting around for 30 seconds.

Welcome to KOS DeathMatch Permadeath Standalone.

Without a Humanity System, the ONLY way to play this game is KOS.

If you don't KOS, you're going to get KOS'd.  Not even worth playing right now.

*Wrinkels nose* Ewww... You call ...that... music?

Anyway...

Yeah, on my friendly playthroughs I've found that playing friendly is a bit of an artform. For starters you don't walk right up to anyone. You don't make contact unless you're in a position where you either have the advantage or have an escape route. You certainly don't walk up to groups of armed men.

I started dressing less military as part of one of many recent social experiments of mine. Surprisingly, even when armed, I'm shot at less when wearing civies. (Hoodie, Shades, Bandana, Cargo Pants, Improvised Backpack) than I am when kitted out. ... If I find a pristine Payday mask though? .. I drop all my morality and turn to serial murder.

Also. A recommendation: Hardcore servers. For one reason or another, friendly populations tend to be higher there.

Frankly I think a humanity system is just silly.

Add in more survival mechanics and an environment that wants to kill us. Give people a common enemy, make high yield loot areas hot spots of ravenous hordes of zombies. Make people work together for a chance at those high end items. Make us fight disease, hypothermia, hunger, thirst, cold, wet, ect. Perhaps implent systems down the road (such as construction/camping/mechnical work on vehicles) take less time with more than one person working at it.

When the game is closer to completion and there is more to do and more risk management to take into consideration social dynamics will change....But there will always be bandits, untrustworthy individuals, murders, sicophants, and KoSing. Not knowing who you can trust is part of the fun!

Edited by Rudette
  • Like 1

I kos everyone from distance. So no problem with trusting others there.

Edited by myshl0ng

I have personally found that there are a lot less of the more annoying breeds of DayZ players on hardcore servers. 

Also, I'm friendly 99.9% of the time, have only died a few (literally 3 or 4 times) to KoS, the rest to legit fire-fights in obviously dangerous areas, and a few bugs. But if you are wearing a payday mask, or gas mask, or dust mask, I will KoS. It's just a way of advertising the fact that you're a bandit in my eyes. I won't usually KoS a motorcycle helmet though, unless they have seen me and are acting aggressive.

In short, I've met lots of friendly people, I avoid a lot of people, and I shoot obvious bandits. Never go into a situation without the upper hand if you are unsure. 

Edit: over 200 hours in the SA.

Edited by Torinx
  • Like 2

hmm i dont agree because military build is better then "normal" because of storage cap... also if you are on airfield there is high chance that you will be KoS its normal but in some towns (not on coast) i had exp when we where jokeing talking etc... it depends on how you play and what persons you meet... but befour talking be sure that he isnt pointing weapon in you

I started dressing less military as part of one of many recent social experiments of mine. Surprisingly, even when armed, I'm shot at less when wearing civies. (Hoodie, Shades, Bandana, Cargo Pants, Improvised Backpack) than I am when kitted out. ... If I find a pristine Payday mask though? .. I drop all my morality and turn to serial murder.

I really think there is some truth to this. I've been running with a grey hoodie and black cargo pants and have had multiple encounters that did not end in bloodshed even though I am armed to the teeth.

I rescued a group of Australians tonight.

They told me what a hard time they have had etc....

I fed them, I got them ammo and now they are on my steam friends.

KOS is rare for me.

There are players like me out there, have faith.

• Like 2

I decided to play friendly and write up my encounters, i had this new double rifle and food can openers and other goodies, whenever i met someone without/with gun i tried to stalk him and offer him goodies and end results were.

People met = 15

People who were unarmed = 5

People who had melee weapon = 10

People who tried to kill me = 11

People who got my beans and other goodies = 4

people are mean :(

Alright after several weeks of trial & error in identifying heros from bandits, I've come up with this.

EVERYONE is a fricking bandit.

You can tell me you're friendly all you want but I've lost faith in anyone in or around Chernarus. I'd really love to trust people on this game & have someone prove me wrong for a change but I see no hope for the current state of DayZ.

As others have said, friendly is more than actually just yelling "friendly" and attaining their trust.

No one but yourself can prove if "friendlies" exist. Everyone should be perceived as dangerous until some level of trust is gained. Trust is not instant and your looking at this wrong if you have lost faith in dayz. Your interactions and actions are vital in helping a friendship grow. 

Any sort of friendship is built on trust and has to come from both parties. There will always be a vulnerability to this and without your A game and a solid plan, you will find yourself on the back foot or worse the dreaded black screen before your friendship took off.

There is being friendly and aware, but there is also being friendly and stupid.

Kos will still be here on release, so will the griefers and the pantsless axe murderers but so will the friendlies and heroes. Just don't expect friendlies to be running around advertising this.