africanhungergames

To those who dislike the new combat logging timer

You're just extremely ignorant aren't you. If you had taken a little bit of time to read through and absorb some of the information being said you would not have written this.

Re read everything and then tell me why it CAN be exploited.

I guess I just have an opinion? I mean... Sometimes people like pepperoni on their pizza and sometimes people like to bitch on the internet. Not sure how it's abusable since I've never used it. Or seen it. Hell, maybe it works great and just people didn't like it because they didn't like it. Maybe I would f'ing LOVE it.

But I knew anything I said would ruffle some feathers after I insulted Dean. Who I'm sure is actually super cool.

I think the reason I don't like it and you do is that I'm not a bandit, combat logger or ghoster. I'm explorer and medic when possible. So it annoys me. And I annoy you because I don't play the game just to kill people and feel some thrill of being digitally superior. Your avatar is better than mine.

Edited by Crooked Hauser

logout time is easy to cheat with,

lean in thirdperson by double Q, loock throu the wall and start the timer. than if u see someone entering ure building ore comming closer u can

abort the timer and shoot him!.

the 30 second ghost fixed about 90% combat logging, and after the patch i killed 50% more bandits, atleast i killed about 10 hoppers a day. hoppers doesnt learn much quikly i think.....

I don't understand what this has to do with combat logging. Can't you just do this without logging out and just sit in a window and kill someone? How does having a logout timer affect this scenario or give anyone an advantage? If anything it maybe takes a second to unfreeze giving someone who has "the drop" an advantage...

I guess I just have an opinion? I mean... Sometimes people like pepperoni on their pizza and sometimes people like to bitch on the internet. Not sure how it's abusable since I've never used it. Or seen it. But I knew anything I said would ruffle some feathers after I insulted Dean. Who I'm sure is actually super cool.

I think the reason I don't like it and you do is that I'm not a bandit, combat logger or ghoster. I'm explorer and medic when possible. So it annoys me.

I've explained it multiple times, in this thread and others, but fuck it, here's another.

I get in a good position and start my logout timer. If nobody shows, abort and restart the logout timer. If someone shows, gain a tactical advantage or logout.

Or

If enaged, take cover and start my logout timer. If the attacker doesn't show, log out or abort. If the attacker shows, gain a tactical advantage or log.

Having an abortable timer can be abused. It was tested and found to be abusable. Hence, NO ABORTABLE TIMER.

I've explained it multiple times, in this thread and others, but fuck it, here's another.

I get in a good position and start my logout timer. If nobody shows, abort and restart the logout timer. If someone shows, gain a tactical advantage or logout.

Or

If enaged, take cover and start my logout timer. If the attacker doesn't show, log out or abort. If the attacker shows, gain a tactical advantage or log.

Having an abortable timer can be abused. It was tested and found to be abusable. Hence, NO ABORTABLE TIMER.

What does the timer have to do with any of that? I've read your example about a thousand times and still don't understand it. What tactical advantage is there possibly in that scenario? Either you are in a position to be the superior person or you're not. I don't see any advantage...

didnt read any of it, just on title alone I say

FUCK YOU op
Fuck you for being a smug ass bastard

Edited by Max Planck
That's not the way we behave around here. Quit it.

What does the timer have to do with any of that? I've read your example about a thousand times and still don't understand it. What tactical advantage is there possibly in that scenario? Either you are in a position to be the superior person or you're not. I don't see any advantage...

With the ability to abort you can circumvents the entire point of not being able to combat log.

The advantaged gained could be any number of things from seeing them move away from your location or into a kill box and gaining an upper hand. And in failing that advantage to arrive simply combat log.

Hello there

Why is this "lazy" feature and if you guys think so, what would be a viable alternative?

I dont mind folk not liking the system but lets find possible alternative solutions to push to the devs.

Rgds

LoK

the only people that dont like it are the server hoppers and combat loggers.

is it a bit of a pain?    sometimes...

if your in a server for awhile you can get into another right away...no problem at all...

With the ability to abort you can circumvents the entire point of not being able to combat log.

The advantaged gained could be any number of things from seeing them move away from your location or into a kill box and gaining an upper hand. And in failing that advantage to arrive simply combat log.

You got me there, General Washington. I don't know what the hell you're talking about and I'm a Marine combat veteran. All I can see is that it could give someone legitimately trying to just log off a chance to defend themselves if a threat arises. I can't wrap my head around how it will help give anyone the upper hand except another aggressor, not the logger.

But after 70+ hours in this game I still don't understand combat logging. So maybe I'm the wrong demographic for this penalty.

You got me there, General Washington. I don't know what the hell you're talking about and I'm a Marine combat veteran. All I can see is that it could give someone legitimately trying to just log off a chance to defend themselves if a threat arises. I can't wrap my head around how it will help give anyone the upper hand except another aggressor, not the logger.

But after 70+ hours in this game I still don't understand combat logging. So maybe I'm the wrong demographic for this penalty.

Yeah its obvious you dont understand the method you have perscribed has been tried by dev team is exploitable it does not give any penalty to combat logging none..... But this idea will certainly go over your head if you are not smart enough to be able to find a safe spot (safe for 30 seconds) which is what you complained about in the first place.

That leaves 3 options 1 you are a combat logger 2 your just a troll 3 you lack even a basic level of common sense.....

Any of these 3 make your opinion invalid and worthless so thanks for coming we tried to explain but you cant grasp a simple idea the cue to play hello kitty is that way hopefully you can understand how to play that ...

• Like 1

I guess I just have an opinion? I mean... Sometimes people like pepperoni on their pizza and sometimes people like to bitch on the internet. Not sure how it's abusable since I've never used it. Or seen it. Hell, maybe it works great and just people didn't like it because they didn't like it. Maybe I would f'ing LOVE it.

But I knew anything I said would ruffle some feathers after I insulted Dean. Who I'm sure is actually super cool.

I think the reason I don't like it and you do is that I'm not a bandit, combat logger or ghoster. I'm explorer and medic when possible. So it annoys me. And I annoy you because I don't play the game just to kill people and feel some thrill of being digitally superior. Your avatar is better than mine.

Go onto my profile and read my last post, you have made so many assumptions in this post, i don't care what you say about dean or anyone else precisely because this is the internet. But the system you are advocating has been tried and tested and it failed and the reason why it failed has been discussed and i am not going to post it again it is merely two pages away.

I have faith that the people who create and build these games would know how to make the best system with the least exploits possible and that's where i stand, you seem to think you know more then dean and the team by the sounds of things. Maybe you should make a game of your own then you can try doing things your way and see how it works out for you.

• Like 2

didnt read any of it, just on title alone I say

FUCK YOU op

Fuck you for being a smug ass bastard

Your tears are so precious to me, please don't stop there.

Edited by africanhungergames
  • Like 1

So what if a person waits on a hill and keeps resetting the timer until they see someone, as soon as they see someone they let the timer count down and log onto a different server, they then get into the best position they can and log into the same server and kill the person they have just seen.

Argue that one away.

• Like 1

First: Sorry for my english. ^^

I like the idea that you are vulnerable for 30 secoonds when you logout. Take on the fight!

But I have a question about this: How can I notice if a player has logged out? Does he not move at all?

I ask, because I'm new to DayZ SA and had this situation when two of my friends and me were at NWAF:

I was looting some barracks and suddenly this guy ran to the barracks. He was well geared, so I asked him if he is friendly. He stood in the corridor and didn't answer, before my friends and me decided what to do he disappeared.

It would be nice if there were any sound or something when a player in your range logs out.

Edited by brudertack82

First: Sorry for my english. ^^

I like the idea that you are vulnerable for 30 secoonds when you logout. Take on the fight!

But I have a question about this: How can I notice if a player has logged out? Does he not move at all?

I ask, because I'm new to DayZ SA and had this situation when two of my friends and me were at NWAF:

I was looting some barracks and suddenly this guy ran to the barracks. He was well geared, so I asked him if he is friendly. He stood in the corridor and didn't answer, before my friends and me decided what to do he disappaered.

It would be nice if there were any sound or something when a player in your range logs out.

They will go into the sitting position like this

n1s3QMy.png

• Like 1

Go onto my profile and read my last post, you have made so many assumptions in this post, i don't care what you say about dean or anyone else precisely because this is the internet. But the system you are advocating has been tried and tested and it failed and the reason why it failed has been discussed and i am not going to post it again it is merely two pages away.

I have faith that the people who create and build these games would know how to make the best system with the least exploits possible and that's where i stand, you seem to think you know more then dean and the team by the sounds of things. Maybe you should make a game of your own then you can try doing things your way and see how it works out for you.

The only assumption I have made is that no place is safe in this game. Yet. It's super buggy, zombies spawn out of thin air, they walk through walls, players can log into a game an appear right behind you in the woods (super random if that happened, but it CAN) and that this "combat logging" solution isn't perfect by a long shot. But shit, fix zombie clipping and then implement this system and I've have far less problems with it.

I'm sorry I haven't read all of your posts. I'm sure they are fascinating and insightful. But the one post I did read made no sense to me at all. So I added my (admittedly snarky) opinion of things. You seem to think the developers of DayZ are infallible and then I don't know what we are doing being invited to participate in this alpha and give feedback if it's not wanted. I think the level of hero worship of these developers is odd, which is why I made the original version of my comment.

And yes, I still think this version of the 30 second logout timer is bad. And I haven't been affected by it yet! Ive only played twice since it got added, but I know that I'm going to have plenty of times where I spend time finding a hiding spot (unless there's some sort of pressing need in real life to immediately log out) and find myself dead when I log in. Doesn't seen like a cool scenario to me.

So what if a person waits on a hill and keeps resetting the timer until they see someone, as soon as they see someone they let the timer count down and log onto a different server, they then get into the best position they can and log into the same server and kill the person they have just seen.

Argue that one away.

OK! Challenge accepted. First of all, it seems really absurd for someone to do that. But I see your point. Albeit it seems like a rather inconsequential one. I do like the penalty time for leaving and rejoining a server. That sort of eliminates ghosting, doesn't it (and hinders server jumping)? Isn't that a totally different thing than combat logging? If a person has enough patience to continually reset his timer to try and log out and ghost someone then they probably have enough patience to sit in a bush and shoot someone in the back as they pass. But in my experience with this game, if you don't shoot someone point blank or get the drop on them with a sniper rifle then it's pretty easy to run around buildings, duck in and out and head for the hills. I've run away from players plenty of times. By the time they log out on that hypothetical hill of yours and rejoin the server after delay/penalty then I feel like the "victim" would be long gone.

I dunno... Did I argue against your point successfully? Probably not. Seems like camping the reset button makes very little sense... and extremely boring.

But again, I'm not a ghoster, combat logger, or bandit so it guess I just don't understand it the way you do. I definitely don't understand the need to KoS everyone for their gear when it's really not hard to find gear on your own, either.

• Like 1

Me and a pal  were at  NEA. Ran into four fully geared players in total after a fresh server restart. They all tried to combat log......it was delicious   :D

Edited by MoOnKat
  • Like 2

OK! Challenge accepted. First of all, it seems really absurd for someone to do that. But I see your point. Albeit it seems like a rather inconsequential one. I do like the penalty time for leaving and rejoining a server. That sort of eliminates ghosting, doesn't it (and hinders server jumping)? Isn't that a totally different thing than combat logging? If a person has enough patience to continually reset his timer to try and log out and ghost someone then they probably have enough patience to sit in a bush and shoot someone in the back as they pass. But in my experience with this game, if you don't shoot someone point blank or get the drop on them with a sniper rifle then it's pretty easy to run around buildings, duck in and out and head for the hills. I've run away from players plenty of times. By the time they log out on that hypothetical hill of yours and rejoin the server after delay/penalty then I feel like the "victim" would be long gone.

I dunno... Did I argue against your point successfully? Probably not. Seems like camping the reset button makes very little sense... and extremely boring.

But again, I'm not a ghoster, combat logger, or bandit so it guess I just don't understand it the way you do. I definitely don't understand the need to KoS everyone for their gear when it's really not hard to find gear on your own, either.

It is absurd but cheaters go to absurd lengths to get heir kicks.

As i have said repeatedly the system has its flaws and you have pointed them out and i don't doubt that but i feel its worth it so i guess its just down to personal opinion.

Anyway hopefully it is just a place holder and something better is implemented and we can all hold hands and sing together.

• Like 1

Me and a pal  were at  NEA. Ran into four fully geared players in total after a fresh server restart. They all tried to combat log......it was delicious   :D

Dude had the exact same thing happen to me twice today it was so funny to watch, and then to kill them after of course.

• Like 2

It is absurd but cheaters go to absurd lengths to get heir kicks.

As i have said repeatedly the system has its flaws and you have pointed them out and i don't doubt that but i feel its worth it so i guess its just down to personal opinion.

Anyway hopefully it is just a place holder and something better is implemented and we can all hold hands and sing together.

Fair enough. Can't wait for rocket to add the hand holding hot key.

How about instead of the sitdown animation for 30 sec when logging out, we just bend over and drop our pants for 30 sec.Our vunlnerability would be more realisticlly portrayed. If the timer was stopped by any movement or action the goal of making someone fight to the death would be accomplished. As it is right now many are happy about having an unfair advantage over someone logging out. I'm not talking about a combat logger, movement reset would keep them in combat. I'm talking about legit loggers being caught with their pants down. I think most players have been surprised by another player they ran into on this game.

Edited by Mr. Jake

How about instead of the sitdown animation for 30 sec when logging out, we just bend over and drop our pants for 30 sec.Our vunlnerability would be more realisticlly portrayed. If the timer was stopped by any movement or action the goal of making someone fight to the death would be accomplished. As it is right now many are happy about having an unfair advantage over someone logging out. I'm not talking about a combat logger, movement reset would keep them in combat. I'm talking about legit loggers being caught with their pants down. I think most players have been surprised by another player they ran into on this game.

Whoa!! Whoa!!! There is no such thing as a legit logger I am lead to believe. ;)

There is no way for the server cannot tell how you disconnected, just that you disconnected. The act of manually logging out by hitting esc>exit, alt+ctrl+del>end process, alt+f4, unplugging your modem/router/pc. It doesn't matter, disconnecting is disconnecting.

And Crooked Hauser, What's the deal with your hostilitly toward "bandits" this isn't even about legitimate playstyles but exploits that abuse the system.

I Don't care if my character stays for 30 seconds after I leave. It forces me to find a good hiding spot. It's a neat little meta game. Like I'm closing my eyes to have a quick nap somewhere safe. I believe people are making it a bigger problem then it actually is with the "what if" situations.

• Like 4

if you try to log out legit in a bad spot you earned your death. there is nothing wrong with the logout timer as it is now.