TrojenKnight69

So much for a "stable" update

DayZ is a game of risk.  Combat logging and server hopping is not an intended feature.  This is not CoD or BF where you can hop in and out of matches as you please.  Don't want to die when you log off for the night?  Don't log out in the open.  Getting scared because people are shooting at you?  Now you can't alt+f4 and disappear like a little bitch.  Spawned at your favorite airfield and it's empty?  Now you have to wait up to 5 mins to hop again.  Seems to be working as intended.

Dude it stopped combat logging and ghosting.  I prefer to loose my character once out of the thousand times i log off instead of watching my back for that dirty ghosting prick or for the rest of the combat logging douches. Of course it aint fuckin perfect but compared to nothing...it is perfect.

Now since i have been an adult can i have some more tears please? :D

Edited by whothehellishe

I don't understand how this is "making the game worse." There has yet to be ONE time I log in dead. You are probably logging out way too close to hot zones or simply have bad luck. I have sat in a bush in balota for 30 minutes during the Balota warzone days to come back to my character alive and well. This is is no way making the game worse, just making it harder for people who are attached to their gear or don't want to deal with a firefight.

I think your over exaggerating a little. Its not hard to find somewhere safe to log out for 30 secs,

The only people whining about this change are combat loggers

Not at all true. There are legitimate complaints from non-combat loggers as well. A live timer would be a better option, both to solve combat logging, and to give anyone else logging off a chance of defending themselves.

i personally agree, there should be a timer a player can cancel.  

Now I understand the needs to counter combat loggers...  There is room for a solution for all imo.  Like you have to sit to logout, which then starts the timer.  If you get up the timer is cancelled.  

This will allow people to defend themselves if a unsuspecting danger arrives AS WELL as requires going through the sit/stand animation leaving players vulnerable if they should log during a fight.

I can't tell you how many times I thought I was "safe" and had a zed warp through a wall etc etc.

Again this obviously isn't the preferred method

No, it's not obviously the preferred method. If the logout timer could be cancelled, then people would simply run and try to combat log knowing they can cancel it at any time if they're caught.

In the current implementation they know that once they hit that disconnect button, all bets are off and they have to deal with the consequences. It's a much better system because it uses fear of the unknown consequences to encourage people to stay online and flee to safety the "real" way.

Plus, it has the added benefit of making people think carefully about where they go to logout. It makes the decision more weighty. It feels like finding a place to camp for the night or whatever, and that feels more authentic. You feel vulnerable? Good, you should. You would feel the same way if you went to sleep in this shitty world we call home.

Edited by ZedsDeadBaby
  • Like 1

Not at all true. There are legitimate complaints from non-combat loggers as well. A live timer would be a better option, both to solve combat logging, and to give anyone else logging off a chance of defending themselves.

Don't log off in an unsafe place.  It's really not that difficult

ahahahaha, actually no. you shall not. If you cant find a safe place in THIS map then you deserve to get shot in the face while logging. There is not even one guy that had his share of combat loggers and now has a problem with the current feature.

this is something that they are still working on for final release give it time it may be changed.

Edited by limblesskody

All this complaining about being vulnerable for 30 seconds? Where do you people log out? In the middle of the runway at NWAF?

I always log out somewhere in the woods and try to make damn sure I'm not being followed or watched, e.g. sit still / hidden and wait for a minute while looking around.

I would like a system that as soon as you clicked log off it would let you watch for 30 seconds without the ability to abort the log off process. That way people will know why they died and learn from the mistake. Any system that allows you to attempt to abort the log out if in danger ruins the purpose of the system. 

People will just attempt to log and if they get in danger will abort. There is a consequence for combat logging. 

Also those who think they should code in a better system might not have played the mod, it usually created a host of secondary issues that were more trouble than they were worth. Plus if a player saw someone and aborted before the first shot there was no penalty. 

It should be like on most MMO's where you have a live counter like the previous poster said.

Didn't Rocket specifically state that no count down timer was planned because that defeated the whole reason behind the 30 second character vulnerability in game method ... which was his intended and preferred method?  I don't have the link, but someone asked him specifically about a timer system opposed to the 30 second in game system and he said the timer system didn't fix any problems and was still considered combat logging (because you can initiate the timer and still protect yourself if someone rushes you).

I could be wrong, so let me know.    

So because this is Alpha, do not question why the last two updates made the game worse.   The second to last update gave us the game pausing "missing file, please hit continue " error every 20 minutes.  Completely destroyed the immersion of the game........ this new patch prevents every player from being able to defend themselves when they log off.    (instead of using a time count down like every other game in the world).

but do not question this..... It's an Alpha.

we are such rubes for disregarding these issues as simply "alpha problems" and not underlying inadequacies of the entire project.

Seriously? 1. What makes you think that an Alpha has to become "better" with every iteration? Theres no rule for that. (Two steps forward, one step back, thats how it often works) Leading to

2. What you define as "bad" or "good" depends on your experience with the game and on your (in)ability to cope with this basic version of a future game and is only your personal opinion. So please, don't   

speak for me.

3. The solution to your problem: Just log off in a safe place. What is the problem about that?

4. And who told you this is the final version of the login/logout mechanics?

All this complaining about being vulnerable for 30 seconds? Where do you people log out? In the middle of the runway at NWAF?

No, they log out in the corner of a room they just got done looting because they're planning on server hopping to loot the same room on another server. They find the added burden of running outside and finding a safe place to log out unconscionable.

Anyone who has a problem with this system is just angry because it is a huge step toward fixing precisely the problems it is intended to fix.

• Like 1

No, they log out in the corner of a room they just got done looting because they're planning on server hopping to loot the same room on another server. They find the added burden of running outside and finding a safe place to log out unconscionable.

Anyone who has a problem with this system is just angry because it is a huge step toward fixing precisely the problems it is intended to fix.

Um ... the 30 second in-game logging system does very little to combat server hopping or ghosting.  Those issues are addressed by the log-in wait timer when jumping from server to server.  The 30 second in-game logging system is to combat ... combat loggers and is intended to create 100% vulnerability.  Personally, i don't like the system, but it is what it is and we are all going to deal with it.  It just takes me a bit longer to run further into the forest now and sit longer making sure i'm alone.  Not ideal, but evidently punishing combat loggers is the most important thing in the game for Rocket, where as it just annoys me, but personally isn't some earth shattering element of the game.

To each their own.    

So come on then tell us! What is? Because for me traveling 20 minutes in order to get at the airport only to find it empty and when i get eyes on the guy he combat logs, well yeah is right there at the top of the list mate.

So come on then tell us! What is? Because for me traveling 20 minutes in order to get at the airport only to find it empty and when i get eyes on the guy he combat logs, well yeah is right there at the top of the list mate.

What is what?

No, it's not obviously the preferred method. If the logout timer could be cancelled, then people would simply run and try to combat log knowing they can cancel it at any time if they're caught.

In the current implementation they know that once they hit that disconnect button, all bets are off and they have to deal with the consequences. It's a much better system because it uses fear of the unknown consequences to encourage people to stay online and flee to safety the "real" way.

Plus, it has the added benefit of making people think carefully about where they go to logout. It makes the decision more weighty. It feels like finding a place to camp for the night or whatever, and that feels more authentic. You feel vulnerable? Good, you should. You would feel the same way if you went to sleep in this shitty world we call home.

But isn't that exactly the sort of thing we want? For a combat logger to be forced to engage? Having them run and hide, only to realize they aren't safe, and either try to hide again, else bite the bullet and engage us?

By this, I mean that I would much rather fight or chase a player than shoot someone who is defenselessly logging out. Sure, I still will, but there is no enjoyment in It for me. No sense of achievement.

If you couldn't find them in the thirty seconds he was sitting waiting to log, you wouldn't have found him sitting there for 30 seconds defenseless. The current system isn't better, as it makes everyone defenseless in a rather obtuse way.

At any rate, combat logging, in it's worst incarnation, isn't someone logging out when you have them trapped in a building. It's when you catch someone off-guard, and they immediately terminate the game. Either system solves this problem, and a live timer has the benefit of allowing other players some agency.

Edited by louist

Um ... the 30 second in-game logging system does very little to combat server hopping or ghosting. Those issues are addressed by the log-in wait timer when jumping from server to server. The 30 second in-game logging system is to combat ... combat loggers and is intended to create 100% vulnerability. Personally, i don't like the system, but it is what it is and we are all going to deal with it. It just takes me a bit longer to run further into the forest now and sit longer making sure i'm alone. Not ideal, but evidently punishing combat loggers is the most important thing in the game for Rocket, where as it just annoys me, but personally isn't some earth shattering element of the game.

To each their own.

I think punishing combat loggers is the wrong way to. If much rather remove their ability to be combat loggers. The current system punishes everyone everyone, though primarily combat loggers. Yes, there is a risk to anyone who logs out, and there should be. But that risk should be coupled with the chance to face that risk.

As it is, I can't just sit in the tree line above Cherno and wait for someone to run into the trees, find a bush, and log out. I can then, at some leisure, take aim and kill them. And if I miss? Well, I still have plenty of time to fire again.

I'd rather that, should I miss the first time, they are forced to respond. Either bolting, or trying to fight back :p