Sign in to follow this  
Miquinei

Performance improvement - big step into the right direction!

Good job, the performance boost was no joke! 

After the update I got 20 fps boost and I can run the game at stable 60 fps (where previously it was 40 fps)

Again, good job! That one made my day! 

• Like 4

Yeah, they've cleaned things up server side so the people with decent rigs that were being held back by server performance are running a bit better now. :)

Good job, the performance boost was no joke! 

After the update I got 20 fps boost and I can run the game at stable 60 fps (where previously it was 40 fps)

Again, good job! That one made my day! 

you do get a bit better fps not 20 fps you get between 5-10 fps.

hopefully well get full muticore performance update you would probably see a even bigger performance boost then.

Good news indeed :)
Im gonna try it out in a sec, but its definitely a step in the right direction hehe.

Just goes to show, optimization is a long and drawn out process.

hopefully well get full muticore performance update you would probably see a even bigger performance boost then.

The 5-10 was server side ONLY mate, so basicly if he has a bad ass rig, he could, potentialy, gain 20+ fps from this.
Exactly like we see in Arma, if a server can hold a FPS of 40-50, all clients run awsome, with near perfect FPS.

Branch: Stable

ETA: Complete

Version: 0.33.114926 

This build continues with small bugfixes and several engine changes. A late addition of a significant change to the server variable processing has provided us a major performance boost on the server of around 5-10 FPS. This helps with a great deal of issues and results in a much smoother game experience from players even on a smooth server. Once several more of these optimizations are made it will allow us to increase player/zombie numbers and enable loot and zombie respawning.
Edited by Byrgesen

It was 20 fps server side IIRC, I think you misread the patch notes.

Edited by Mos1ey

It was 20 fps server side IIRC, I think you misread the patch notes.

I don't know what was the boost but my fraps is showing me stable 57 - 61 fps and previously it was 40 - 45 fps in the woods. 

Either way, loving the update! 

I don't know what was the boost but my fraps is showing me stable 57 - 61 fps and previously it was 40 - 45 fps in the woods. 

Well 5-10 more FPS on the serverside is a GIANT performance boost, be it DayZ or Arma.

They are doing something right, thats for sure ;)

Yeah, the improved server performance does generally mean that you will see better performance client side too, providing that you have a decent PC.

I think dgeesio misinterpreted Rocket's post thinking that he meant that clients will get an extra 5-10 FPS though.

It runs great anyways. I've turned ambient occlusion on and I'm running with about 5 FPS more than I used to, so no complaints from me!

Edited by Mos1ey

Generally I now get better frames, except in Svetloyarsk the new town. Lots of stuttering and drops in frames. Can anyone confirm or is it just me?

Loving the update ;)

Yus.

I cranked a few settings back up as a result.

<3s

>.> Im hoping this means more zombies soonish!

Yeah, the improved server performance does generally mean that you will see better performance client side too, providing that you have a decent PC.

Honestly, you dont even need a decend PC to "feel" improved server FPS on the RV engine :)

Basicly if the server FPS is stabile and high, it will "rub off" on all clients, thats the exact same struggle we see with the Life/Domination missions for Arma.

Finding the balance between good server FPS and good gameplay is the first step in the optimization process :)

Honestly, you dont even need a decend PC to "feel" improved server FPS on the RV engine :)

Basicly if the server FPS is stabile and high, it will "rub off" on all clients, thats the exact same struggle we see with the Life/Domination missions for Arma.

Finding the balance between good server FPS and good gameplay is the first step in the optimization process :)

When I say decent PC, what I really mean is above the recommended specs, if you want to actually see a noticeable FPS gain.

What is it that makes the Life missions run so poorly? I get 60+ FPS on ultra in A3 Wasteland and then I have to drop object detail right down to low to maintain 30+ in Altis Life. :(

It's a shame because it's so much fun... xD

Yeah, they've cleaned things up server side so the people with decent rigs that were being held back by server performance are running a bit better now. :)

So basically a lot of players don't benefit from this update...if players with decent rigs ( let's say up to date technology wise and/or not older than 5y and/or in the 750€ range ) get 10-20fps then the rest will get like nothing?

What is it that makes the Life missions run so poorly? I get 60+ FPS on ultra in A3 Wasteland and then I have to drop object detail right down to low to maintain 30+ in Altis Life. :(

Too many scripts, too many clients, bad scripts, low tech server...? Bad scripts can also cause a lot of desyncs.

Edited by Enforcer

When I say decent PC, what I really mean is above the recommended specs, if you want to actually see a noticeable FPS gain.

Ahh i see hehe. :)

When i say decend im thinking well above recommended specs hehe.

Well, most of whats happening in Life is player created, and since Arma needs to sync every single action, every single player makes, to everything on the entire map, it sucks up a whole lot of resources, on calculations basicly.

In Arma you can be 15km away from one another, but the client is still sending and recieveing information, to and from the server, about everything. So if you kill someone, the clients 15km away will get this informationa aswell.

So the more people you have doing something, the more information it needs to send and the more the server CPS (cycles per min, calculations basicly) drops, the bigger drop we see in server FPS, which then results in client FPS slowing down, because it has to wait for the server to recieve data.

So when your client has to wait for to long on the server, you get desync, and theres nothing you can do about it.

Thats the "bad part" about the Arma games, which then results in most missions not spanning the entire island, or using some spawn/despawn mechanics to lower object and "other stuff" going on, on the map :)

This is one of the biggest reasons we see missions like Life and Domination, drop drasticly in FPS client side. The mission makers are constantly working on new and improved solutions, to "releave" the pressure on the server, from all the scripting.

Some functions take up a ton of resources, and they should only be used if its really needed, where others uses next to no resources and they are to be used as much as possible :)

This is where DayZ takes a HUGE leap.

They finished the "network buble" so you arent sending information to a client in the NWAF, when you are standing in the middle of Cherno.

This alone gave them alot more "room" in the server calculations, simply because it doesnt need to send the same amount of information anymore.

So this ekstra "space" can be used on other things, like loot respawns, zombie respawns, etc.

So basically a lot of players don't benefit from this update...if players with decent rigs ( let's say up to date technology wise and/or not older than 5y and/or in the 750€ range ) get 10-20fps then the rest will get like nothing?

You mis understand mate.

Everybody will feel some kind of improvement from this, theres no doubt.

Even if you are on a crappy computer, but you might not notice as much of a difference, as the guy on a 1000$ rig :)

Server side FPS is one of the most important aspects of the RV engine, and its one of the places they can "recover" a lot of resources, to use elsewhere.

Edited by Byrgesen

My frame-rate increased significantly when this patch was on experimental and I'm glad to see it has carried over to stable. I now typically get 50-60 FPS in the countryside and 30-45 in towns and villages, depending on their size, but there are exceptions as I dropped all the way down to ~19 FPS more than once in Cherno.

It's definitely a step in the right direction though, and the way Rocket talks about it there might be a lot more wiggle room left for further improvement.

Edited by DarkwaveDomina