Macdeth

why good samiritans irritate me

you know the type, get themselves all geared up then head straight back to the coast to offer assistance to all the helpless bambis out there. Christ they make me want to vomit.

first of all anyone who just spawned on the coast is extremely likely to be very pissed off about dying and losing all their gear, probably at the hands of another player only a few minutes previously.

Secondly, there is a very high chance that this helpless bambi is an accomplished KoS player who would try and kill you with a gun, an axe, a kitchen knife or indeed a pair of fists no matter when and where you happen to meet.

There is something very odd about players who go to the coast specifically to 'help' fresh spawns.

Don't get me wrong, I love genuine and spontaneous acts of human kindness, I myself have occasionally derived a real sense of well being after some chance meeting, a little time spent getting acquainted and establishing that neither one of us is an incurable asshole, it's a real pleasure to share some supplies under such circumstances, a rare and pleasant experience indeed.

But actually focusing on seeking that out? making 'heading to the coast to help bambis' your primary aim is just fucking weird, there is something very patronising and arrogant and selfish about those players and when help is forced down my throat, I gotta tell you truth, I often repay it with an act of extreme violence.

Stop inflicting your strange need to feel appreciated on otherwise quite content gamers who are busily embarking upon, what for most, is the best part of the game. Gearing up and negotiating the wall of bandits that await in the tree lines and the city scapes ahead, leave them alone and for gods sake stay away from the coast unless you are actively seeking pvp encounters.

Edited by Macdeth
  • Like 23

Uhhh... I think you're reading into things too much. "Going to the coast to help bambi's" pretty much means, "I want an excuse to kill geared up people, so I need to find some bandit chum."

Also, who made you lord and master of approved playstyles? Sounds like you're just pissed that people are getting in the way of your bambi hunts.

• Like 36

This is a sandbox game, as such people must make their own fun. One of the things people find fun is offering help to fresh spawns. As it stands there is less to do in standalone than there is in the mod, what do you expect those people to do with their (emphasis on their) game time instead?

• Like 2

People head to the coast for interaction. This is a survival game. In a post apocalyptic world human interaction, teamwork and general selfless acts of kindness are what's going to keep humanity sane. Anyone can survive long periods by avoiding any other player by hiding out up north.

• Like 17

Uhhh... I think you're reading into things too much. "Going to the coast to help bambi's" pretty much means, "I want an excuse to kill geared up people, so I need to find some bandit chum."

Also, who made you lord and master of approved playstyles? Sounds like you're just pissed that people are getting in the way of your bambi hunts.

Stop mingling with natural selection

Red

You do know that Darwin's theory also aplies to groups right? Stronger groups win out over the weaker ones, stronger groups often have social interaction and emotional bonding in order to encourage group behavior and they even help members of the group. 

• Like 9

You do know that Darwin's theory also aplies to groups right? Stronger groups win out over the weaker ones, stronger groups often have social interaction and emotional bonding in order to encourage group behavior and they even help members of the group.

This!

• Like 1

you know the type, get themselves all geared up then head straight back to the coast to offer assistance to all the helpless bambis out there. Christ they make me want to vomit.

first of all anyone who just spawned on the coast is extremely likely to be very pissed off about dying and losing all their gear, probably at the hands of another player only a few minutes previously.

Secondly, there is a very high chance that this helpless bambi is an accomplished KoS player who would try and kill you with a gun, an axe, a kitchen knife or indeed a pair of fists no matter when and where you happen to meet.

There is something very odd about players who go to the coast specifically to 'help' fresh spawns.

Don't get me wrong, I love genuine and spontaneous acts of human kindness, I myself have occasionally derived a real sense of well being after some chance meeting, a little time spent getting acquainted and establishing that neither one of us is an incurable asshole. A rare and pleasant experience.

But making 'heading to the coast to help bambis' your primary aim is just fucking weird, there is something very patronising and arrogant and selfish about those players and when help is forced down my throat, I gotta tell you truth, I often repay it with an act of extreme violence.

Stop inflicting your strange need to feel appreciated on otherwise quite content gamers who are busily embarking upon, what for most, is the best part of the game. Gearing up and negotiating the wall of bandits that await in the tree lines and the city scapes ahead, leave them alone and for gods sake stay away from the coast unless you are actively seeking pvp encounters.

So just out of curiosity, what type of game do you play?

KoS? Sniper? Coast Patrol? Hero?

meh, coast is so 2013...

seriously though, i think the tension that you have when you are alone at the beach is something valuable which i do not want to take away from others.. now if they make it to my playground between polana, sobor and devils castle, i am more than happy to help them out.. if they made it so far, they might actually be interested in suviving for longer than 10 minutes

i will of course come to aid anyone who actively calls out for it.. broken legs on the docks of kamyshovo? starving in kamenka? barely alive in elektro after escaping a deathsquad? i'll get to you and bring you all my rags and can openers..

Edited by e47
  • Like 3

for gods sake stay away from the coast unless you are actively seeking pvp encounters.

Actively seeking PvP encounters against poorly equipped players? Enjoy your rotten kiwis in Elektro.

• Like 2

So just out of curiosity, what type of game do you play?

KoS? Sniper? Coast Patrol? Hero?

why do you feel the need to apply labels to a sandbox game?

I am none of the above, I log in and try to survive as long as possible. I don't seek confrontation neither do I shy away from it. I take each moment as it comes and anjoy this unpredictability enormously.

Bandt/hero/medic/sniper/bambi helper and all the rest are just bullshit labels that shouldn't even exist.

Each situation is unique thanks to the diversity and randomness of human behaviour, I allow my natural reaction to whatever circumstances I find myself in to dictate what happens next, there are no rules there are no labels except those we impose upon ourselves.

Actively seeking PvP encounters against poorly equipped players? Enjoy your rotten kiwis in Elektro.

was that aimed at me Cyan?

I can assure you I steer well clear of the beaches. Only fresh spawns, assholes and do gooders to be found there

Edited by Macdeth
  • Like 4

People get angry over some weird things in this game.  Well at least it's not a thread complaining about KoS or some other cliché.  But seriously its a sandbox game.. 99% of the fun is doing what you want.  Helping others will always be a core play style. Its fun & rewarding, more fun than just shooting.  Talk and then shoot! :)

• Like 8

So you hide up north looting the same house every login for beans? It's a multiplayer game. There's no challenge to surviving if your not interacting with people. Unless you fall off a ladder or afk when a zombie spots you death is never an issue.

So you hide up north looting the same house every login for beans? It's a multiplayer game. There's no challenge to surviving if your not interacting with people. Unless you fall off a ladder or afk when a zombie spots you death is never an issue.

again, some smart arse thinking they can psychically read my entire game play philosophy from an avatar and a post.

Where have I said I hide up north searching the same houses avoiding human interaction?

Please, quote here or stop talking bollocks.

• Like 3

again, some smart arse thinking they can psychically read my entire game play philosophy from an avatar and a post

Says the guy who thinks people go to help bambis out of some "strange need to feel appreciated".  ;)

• Like 11

I always find it funny when you get the guy whos like "Stop motherfucker i just want to help you god damn it!" This guy just attempted to give me +2 feely points then squashed it with -6000.

I don't understand a lot of it either and i play as almost pure PvE bandit hunter, which means i just people watch 99% of the time unfortunately. In a game where its so easy to find stuff usually giving people stuff just makes an easy game that much easier. I solo though, so I don't have to share with a group.

• Like 1

Well, the thing is, bambis are the only conflict generators currently ingame.

Fully geared players have nothing to do except help new spawns, kill new spawns, hunt new spawn killers. So everyone gravitates to the coast. Even the northern airfields are less interesting for PVP, because with no way to store gear outside your character, it only takes a couple trips to be as equipped as you want to be.

Anyway, there's some weird assumption by good samaritans that new spawn = noob, someone who needs to be helped and taught. Which is patently wrong in a game with permadeath.

• Like 1

Your the one being all confrontational. Hiding behind your monitor crying over people's playstyle. I haven't read you or even noticed your (Intimidating?) avatar. If your genuinely not interested in people's experiences of the game because people who show humility and decency annoy you then stop reading the forums. People are putting their experiences and theories here and you return with brash talking saying they anger you. Don't read, don't get angry.

• Like 3

its kind of offtopic but i have to disagree here.

i tested the "lone survivor" playstyle in the mod for some time, and i found it actually a real challenge not to give in to the temptation and seek out players in the hotspots, but tend to the camp and survive for a prolonged period of time. logging in every day to refill canteens, hunt some goats or cows, check a deerstand or two and maybe 'harvest' pobeda dam and guba tents every few days.. you get lonely.. really, really lonely.. and at some point you want to grab your DMR and just walk into NWAF, because death and a new beginning seem so much easier, so much more comfortable than the loneliness of survival.

• Like 6

Says the guy who thinks people go to help bambis out of some "strange need to feel appreciated".  ;)

why else do they do it?

every action deliberately performed by a human being is motivated by reward, that is simply a fact.

There is nothing wrong with helping people when the opportunity presents itself and I have already stated in the OP that I love spontaneous acts of kindness between two or more human beings.

What I am talking about is those players who inflict their desire to feel appreciated onto other players who are not requesting assistance.

• Like 2

why else do they do it?

I already told you: Boredom. At least that's why I sometimes do it.

It's a sandbox game with much less to do than the mod, we make our own fun.

So yes, it's motivated by reward Mr. Armchair Psychologist. That reward being entertainment.

• Like 1

so being social and helping newbies is bad and egoistic, because...?

Dafuq.jpg

Edited by irishroy
  • Like 1

so being social and helping newbies is bad and egoistic, because...?

What makes you think new spawns are newbies?

• Like 2