Sign in to follow this  
TiptonSamurai

Character Died from 5ft drop (estimate)

I broke my legs running up the stairs of the ATCT in NEAF last night. I laughed my ass off thinking that my character has killed countless zombies and other players only to succumb to that dreaded top stair he tripped over.

Thankfully, DeathTaX was nice enough to bring me some morphine. I'm good as new!

So because it's a standalone alpha now and not a mod anymore every single glitch and inconvenient game element should be fixed now?

got it

Dude, this bug has been there for almost two years now. You would think the developers should have fixed it by now. 

I love how you advocate for not fixing bugs, especially game breaking bugs like this one...

There are multiple warnings on the Steam page, this website and at the beginning of the game itself that make it clear these kind of errors will occur. 

Not meaning to be rude, but you should have read them and considered them before buying, as Steam does not give refunds.

Whenever I buy a game I spend at least an hour or two looking into whether it is worth my money. If you're going to be impulsive with your purchases, you only have yourself to blame if they do not turn out to be something you're interested in. This isn't such a problem when you have a physical copy of a game, because you could always return it, but as Steam does not do refunds it is important to do quite a bit of research before committing to buy something on there. 

With the example of DayZ, it is quite clear to any prospective buyer willing to spend even a couple of minutes researching that the game is unfinished, lacks features and contains some game breaking bugs and issues. If you did not know this before you purchased the game that's your problem. The development team have been very transparent and do not dress DayZ up as a finished or even nearly finished game. You should have known this, instead of clicking 'buy now' because it was on the top sellers list.

Furthermore, coming here to criticize the game, after apparently being unable to comprehend said warnings, demanding unobtainable refunds is only going to get yourself and many others riled up. It would be more worth your while if you just left us to enjoy the game :) rather than having a furiously heated argument with most of this forum's members.

1 word to describe you "condescending". Also I haven't tried making heated arguments towards other but others to me. I only asked to be pointed in the right direction for a refund, where some have pointed out for me. Now I'm getting a reply from "you" saying that I can't.

Just wanted to say that if I want a refund for a game that I'm not satified with then I don't see how that should annoy people. If it has annoyed some of you people on here then you got anger issues, if you are so easily ticked off by something so small.

My first thought is that you were probably already very low on health and close to death. But you couldn't tell because you have post processing turned off.

Health isn't just blood like it was in the mod.

You could have full blood, no color loss but your health could still be close to zero and you would have no way of knowing since the only indication is blurry vision.

If you have post processing turned off, you won't see that and your character will behave normally in every way even if you have only 1 health point left.

Dude, this bug has been there for almost two years now. You would think the developers should have fixed it by now. 

I love how you advocate for not fixing bugs, especially game breaking bugs like this one...

Thanks mate, for saying something worth while to these people.

My first thought is that you were probably already very low on health and close to death. But you couldn't tell because you have post processing turned off.

Health isn't just blood like it was in the mod.

You could have full blood, no color loss but your health could still be close to zero and you would have no way of knowing since the only indication is blurry vision.

If you have post processing turned off, you won't see that and your character will behave normally in every way even if you have only 1 health point left.

I have postprocessing on low?

is there something I should be looking for to see if my character is at full health?

Edited by TiptonSamurai

1 word to describe you "condescending". Also I haven't tried making heated arguments towards other but others to me. I only asked to be pointed in the right direction for a refund, where some have pointed out for me. Now I'm getting a reply from "you" saying that I can't.

Just wanted to say that if I want a refund for a game that I'm not satified with then I don't see how that should annoy people. If it has annoyed some of you people on here then you got anger issues, if you are so easily ticked off by something so small.

Well you can't get a refund through Steam. You can try, but you won't be that successful. Take a look at their refunds policy

EDIT: Also you didn't just ask for a refund you were complaining that an unfinished game was, well unfinished, which in my opinion is absurd.

Edited by DoctorBadSign

I broke my legs running up the stairs of the ATCT in NEAF last night. I laughed my ass off thinking that my character has killed countless zombies and other players only to succumb to that dreaded top stair he tripped over.

Thankfully, DeathTaX was nice enough to bring me some morphine. I'm good as new!

How do I turn on post processing?

It's in your video settings. Most people turn it off because they don't like having a blurry screen when they are injured. Or because it causes too much of a performance drop.

Edited by Hutch

I fell off the ship a grand total of four times and did not die or break my legs. So lucky.

It's in your video settings. Most people turn it off because they don't like having a blurry screen when they are injured. Or because it causes too much of a performance drop.

I already have my postprocessing on low and didn't have a blurry screen when I died, so I'm gonna assume that I was healthy lol.. But thanks for the little bit of help

Your height estimation is terrible.  Unless your character is about 2.5 foot tall.. a deer stand is twice the height of a character, so about 12 foot.  Still not enought to die.. it should have just left you with a broken ankle and made you crawl for 2 hours instead! :)

People falling off things the whole time has nothing to do with it being alpha.. its to do with players using run by default and or not being able to simply not fall off things!  Its Darwin's law... a lot players don't seem to need zombies to die in a survival game.. simple ladder takes care a good number, and its not the ladder's fault.

I remember them being 250-300cm tall. That's not enough to injure someone. None of the deerstands have rocks around them so you couldn't just hit a rock at the right angle and die.

It'd be pretty great if some Euphoria-like partially controlled ragdoll physics were implemented so that were truly possible, but I don't trust Bohemia to not have that kill you instantly if you land in a weird way.

Your guy must have been in a really bad condition. You dont even take damage from deer stand heights. Unless it was one of those tall military ones.

Not true, I used one to suicide a fresh spawn and it only took 2 falls.

Edited by Altimor

I wouldn't say it's silly, since I have encountered nothing but problems with the game since i've had it.

And I'd rather play a game than take someone elses opinion or facts about a game before I have it. So yea I do buy games knowing little about them, or I find a demo before I buy.

The problem here is you call this a game... its an alpha. There is a difference.

OP, just saying, the engine this game was based off of has been around since the original xbox, the game operation flashpoint. Now I understand it has evolved since, and that many changes have been made, but some things still remain. One of which is the falling mechanic. I've seen players playing this break their legs walking down a staircase. not skipping the corner and falling 2 inches, literally on just the stairs. These things happen and its to be expected. I mean, why do you think you are forced to click I understand to that disclaimer before the main menu? Try giving my post "people tell you your post is bad because its and alpha? read plz" in the general discussion. most of the replies just lead to BS but the OP I put there kinda sums up what people are saying when they tell you its an alpha.

This happened to my friend the other day.  He now knows not to fuck with deer stands.

i think you should of read the game before bought it ! It clearly says alpha testing which means they're going to be bugs.I Hope they don't refund the money

i think you should of read the game before you bought it ! It clearly says alpha testing which means they're going to be bugs.I Hope they don't refund the money

Edited by MedicatedxDecay

I once tried killing my character by jumping off a bridge ~ 5m (16ft) tall.
Jumped four times, didn't even break a leg!  :huh:

Thats funny cos I was dying of starvation, had an infection And needed to die!

Thought id jump off the nearest factory...

climbed up onto the roof, took a look at the scenery for one last time then jumped... basically I survived, no broken legs or anything. I then found a rather high tower, jumped and same again lol!

In the end i got two zombies to finish me off!

Loved your story, mate.  It's now become part of a shoddy animation.  Hope you like it  :)