DirtyscumbagLith

Read first before you complain about other players

I own a han wei practical pro plus katana, 47" long, do some research on it before you spout shit and also watch the Myth busters episode that tested it. I could slice through 3 people and wouldn't break a sweat.

Possibly, but even good blades need regular maintenance to retain their edges, especially if you're cutting through bone.

Now I'm not saying "you", guy I quoted, but I've been to Japan, I've seen the swords, I've read the history and done some research a while ago.

The issue with katanas were they were good weapons, but a lot of their properties were wildly exaggerated, along with some of their most famous users. Again, not saying that some aren't incredibly well made and a skilled user couldn't pop my head off, but we also aren't living in an anime where you can split low flying jets in half.

There was an interesting video of them shooting a master-made katana with an M2 heavy machine gun and it cut two .50 cal bullets in half before breaking on the 3rd round... really impressive and it gave a lot of Japan-o-philes all this Nippon pride until that same katana wad also obliterated by a Scottish Claymore, blade to blade.

"Why can't be all be happy and cheerful and get along?"

A.) Its the zombie apocalypse, there is a total breakdown of society and a police state. You really think people are going to get along? Like the Walking Dead, your biggest fear is PEOPLE. B.) Wouldn't Dayz be the worst game ever if nobody shot each other- we all helped each other and fed one another- we all ran around saying hello, hugging each other. That would be terrible. With the fear of not knowing what a stranger player will do is what makes this game exciting- they might help you, they might kill you- they might friend you and be nice to you for 18 minutes then all of a sudden, they might kill you. That is what makes this game so unique and fun to play- FEAR.

So quit whining about people. This is the game. As long as there are weapons, expect this.

A few problems with your argument here..

1. Zombie Apocalypse is fiction.

2. The Walking Dead is fiction.

Furthermore, the BEST option for survival in a post-apocalyptic world, would be cooperation with other like-minded people... so yes, people would be friendly to a certain extent. Maybe you've noticed in the Walking Dead how they have SEVERAL CAMPS OF PEOPLE WHO ARE ALL GETTING ALONG, AND ONLY FIGHT WITH OUTSIDER CAMPS.

Yeah, the Walking Dead isn't real, but since you used it as the basis for part of your argument, I thought I'd point out one of the contradictions of your logic. 

I can tell you one thing, if the modern world broke down into an apocalyptic hellscape while I slept tonight, I would not be running around downtown Phoenix Arizona (where I live), with an assault rifle, yelling at random people and stealing their goodies.

I would gather resources, connect with friends/family, and attempt to get out of any major city immediately, where I would form a camp. If outsiders approached the camp, I would be cautious of them but I certainly would not shoot them on sight unless it was obvious their intentions were hostile.

In other words, your entire post is a crock of shit. You clearly know fuck all about human psychology, so stop with the psuedo-intellectual rationalizations for KOS.

Furthermore, the BEST option for survival in a post-apocalyptic world, would be cooperation with other like-minded people... so yes, people would be friendly to a certain extent. Maybe you've noticed in the Walking Dead how they have SEVERAL CAMPS OF PEOPLE WHO ARE ALL GETTING ALONG, AND ONLY FIGHT WITH OUTSIDER CAMPS.

Yeah, the Walking Dead isn't real, but since you used it as the basis for part of your argument, I thought I'd point out one of the contradictions of your logic.

I can tell you one thing, if the modern world broke down into an apocalyptic hellscape while I slept tonight, I would not be running around downtown Phoenix Arizona (where I live), with an assault rifle, yelling at random people and stealing their goodies.

I would gather resources, connect with friends/family, and attempt to get out of any major city immediately, where I would form a camp. If outsiders approached the camp, I would be cautious of them but I certainly would not shoot them on sight unless it was obvious their intentions were hostile.

In other words, your entire post is a crock of shit. You clearly know fuck all about human psychology, so stop with the psuedo-intellectual rationalizations for KOS.

Screw you dude. First thing I'd do is grab my Sig Sauer SSG 3000 with my case of match grade ammo and my Springfield TRP and camp outside of the highways of Dayton. I'd have a massive errection as I started popping shots off at everyone in sight. I know this because it's what I do when the power goes out, it rains or I can't sleep.

• Like 1

lol.

same thing happened to me- basically ran into each other and both shooting because we flinched. he killed me and i heard this little kid saying "dude! im sorry! you scared the shit out of me! so sorry! sorry!" LOL!!!

is it just me, but u ever get bored fully geared? i was alive for 3 days and got bored, so i went on a suicide run in cherno yesterday...saw someone killing a bambi and then blasted him despite his "no bro dont shoot me"! (as a bambi layed at his feet). i happily got taken out by a sniper and i respawned, with a smile, excited i get to farm again. something about farming is fun (and the crazy circumstances that u get in while doing so).

I've had the same experience, I even took it a step further. I climbed to the top of the air tower fully kitted, and made sure I looked that way, then I jumped onto the 1 story section that cannot be reached in any way other than by jumping. I died as expected (on a server I knew had just reset) I spawned fresh and made my way to the NWAF where I had done this, even with little gear as I had, I got back to that tower before the next reset, and there, right next to my old body (before body cleanup was implemented) was at least a dozen others, all half-geared, looking to score what I had. Death has never been as much fun since.

i totally lost track of what this thread is about...

TWD keeps coming up, so let me state why i Jackie-Chan'ed that reference.

What happens in TWD is scripted for drama, to appear as a complete package, actions and reactions, to be entertaining

What happens in DayZ is dynamic action of single individuals, each acting according to his own motives and preferences, not caring about how it looks to an observer

Whatever the characters do or dont do in TWD has nothing to do with decisions in an apocalypse, but what half a dozen writers think is expected by a dorito-munching crowd in front of the screen

also, killing on site means killing at that very spot. its kinda different from killing on sight. just sayin'

That DayZ is a interesting social experiment is a little far fetched. Anyone over the age of 30 should hopefully be somewhat familiar with all the paths that lead to the various behaviors in DayZ. Group dynamic vs. solo play, casual vs. experienced gamer, new gamer vs. longtime gamer, old vs. young, having been treated well in life vs. not treated well, etc. There are few interesting surprises in store for for most i would think and all the talk about how its so fascinating makes me want to puke -especially the talk about violence. Only to the completely ignorant is the end result of violence a fascinating topic.

I always love it when a hardened combat Vet wipes the smile off the face of an interviewer when talking about real "glorious" combat.

Why not use your m4 to kill the hoards of undead?

Hoards? I've seen more people at an 'AIDS and sharp objects' convention.

"SEVERAL CAMPS OF PEOPLE WHO ARE ALL GETTING ALONG, AND ONLY FIGHT WITH OUTSIDER CAMPS."

You are not part of my camp. The friends who I game with are.

You are an outsider. Thats why Im shooting you.

Case-Closed-Stamp_645x400.png

• Like 1

The m4 was not designed for a zombie apocalypse, can we end this thread now im sick of talking to twelvies

Can't handle someone throwing your own argument back at you?

• Like 1

I disagree.  I find shouting "IM FRIENDLY IM FRIENDLY" very useful.  Yesterday i yelled it and was able to close on a guy with a gun and kill him with my axe because he hesitated.

Now i have a Mosin Nagant on a new toon with hardly any searching.

See this is what the community needs. more teamwork.

Eh... The only thing I don't agree with is you calling the M4 a weapon.  It's a firearm.  It has several intended uses - not just killing people.

I get what you're trying to say.  In DayZ it is used to kill things.  But I hope your blanket statement about an M4 in general was not that it's a weapon designed for only killing things.

Can you tell I'm pro second amendment?

Edited by Mdogg2005
  • Like 2

Eh... The only thing I don't agree with is you calling the M4 a weapon.  It's a firearm.  It has several intended uses - not just killing people.

I get what you're trying to say.  In DayZ it is used to kill things.  But I hope your blanket statement about an M4 in general was not that it's a weapon designed for only killing things.

Agreed. Gun's are tools. That's like people who call any rifle with a scope on it a sniper rifle, or call carbines DMRs. 

• Like 1

Been playing violent video games since Doom came out.  I may or may not also own firearms.  Do I go around killing people?  No.  The people in office are fucking morons.

But that's a conversation for a different thread forum.... on second thought the conversation would just enrage me because of their sheer stupidity so nevermind - let's not talk about it.

Agreed. Gun's are tools. That's like people who call any rifle with a scope on it a sniper rifle, or call carbines DMRs. 

Yep.  I don't even hunt yet my guns are not any less enjoyable because of that.  My AR-15 can have a scope on it, doesn't make it a sniper rifle lol.

I thought Obama has made statements dismissing the relationship between violence and games recently.

I'd love to see a source.  I've heard just the oppose.  I live in the 2nd worse state to be a firearms owner.  I'd probably kill myself if I lived in California, but still they're making it hell for us here.

I personally believe KOS is far less interesting of a play-style. But that's my personal opinion.

If you're going to kill someone, I think it's a lot funnier to cuff people and steal their blood/give them stolen blood. It's kind of like a blood-type roulette. If they get a compatible type? They live. If they don't? They die. And as far as I'm concerned, I didn't kill them, chance did.

Or to cuff them and force feed them rotten fruit. But that's only if they're an asshole.

Just shooting someone?

What am I? A barbarian?

• Like 1

I disagree.  I find shouting "IM FRIENDLY IM FRIENDLY" very useful.  Yesterday i yelled it and was able to close on a guy with a gun and kill him with my axe because he hesitated.

Do you drink your coffee black, like your soul?

blogblackcup-of-coffee.jpg

I personally believe KOS is far less interesting of a play-style. But that's my personal opinion.

If you're going to kill someone, I think it's a lot funnier to cuff people and steal their blood/give them stolen blood. It's kind of like a blood-type roulette. If they get a compatible type? They live. If they don't? They die. And as far as I'm concerned, I didn't kill them, chance did.

Or to cuff them and force feed them rotten fruit. But that's only if they're an asshole.

Just shooting someone?

What am I? A barbarian?

problem with that right now (pre patch) is most disappear before you can say "hey"

"SEVERAL CAMPS OF PEOPLE WHO ARE ALL GETTING ALONG, AND ONLY FIGHT WITH OUTSIDER CAMPS."

You are not part of my camp. The friends who I game with are.

You are an outsider. Thats why Im shooting you.

Case-Closed-Stamp_645x400.png

Yeah, I like how you cherry pick what I said and took it out of context.

Only psychopaths would MURDER other people when there is clearly nothing to gain and no threat.

IE - Geared players running around Elektro killing randoms... geared players sitting on the coast murdering fresh spawns.. etc..

Nothing you or anyone else has said indicating that "in an apocalypse everyone would be murdering people!" is supported by science/psychology/sociology/historical facts.

In a life threatening situation (such as an apocalypse), normal people (non-psychopaths) are ONLY concerned with their own survival and the survival of their peers/loved ones. The most common and effective survival tactic would be to avoid large cities and isolate yourself from danger, rather than plunge into it with an assault rifle and kill people who look at you the wrong way.

In the case of "my" group coming upon "your" group, we would probably attempt to send an envoy/scout to see how safe it would be to interact with you.. Then we would attempt to make contact.. Then we would discuss what we have to offer one another. Violence would be a last resort: NOT the first option that comes to mind.

I'm so tired of seeing the same bullshit argument propagated on these forums. Really, please stop pretending your KOS mentality is justified through human nature. It's not human nature to murder other people. 

Edited by Etherimp
  • Like 1

Yeah, I like how you cherry pick what I said and took it out of context.

Only psychopaths would MURDER other people when there is clearly nothing to gain and no threat.

IE - Geared players running around Elektro killing randoms... geared players sitting on the coast murdering fresh spawns.. etc..

Nothing you or anyone else has said indicating that "in an apocalypse everyone would be murdering people!" is supported by science/psychology/sociology/historical facts.

In a life threatening situation (such as an apocalypse), normal people (non-psychopaths) are ONLY concerned with their own survival and the survival of their peers/loved ones. The most common and effective survival tactic would be to avoid large cities and isolate yourself from danger, rather than plunge into it with an assault rifle and kill people who look at you the wrong way.

In the case of "my" group coming upon "your" group, we would probably attempt to send an envoy/scout to see how safe it would be to interact with you.. Then we would attempt to make contact.. Then we would discuss what we have to offer one another. Violence would be a last resort: NOT the first option that comes to mind.

I'm so tired of seeing the same bullshit argument propagated on these forums. Really, please stop pretending your KOS mentality is justified through human nature. It's not human nature to murder other people. 

You're fighting a losing battle because this is a video game community. Everyone is a billy badass lone wolf who plays by their own rules who could survive indefinitely in the harshest, most unforgiving environment ever.

I know a couple of survivalist types who would do just fine living off of whatever they found in the wilderness, could hunt and grow their food and make good shelter in weather ranging from Alaskan winter to desert, but I highly doubt they would start blasting everyone in an apocalyptic setting.

People also keep using "Fall of society" as an excuse that we would all go on psycho rampages like we do here in DayZ. People even pointed to Katrina, which I thought was funny, because a lot of looting happened, but people did not run around with guns killing everyone. Did people, including police, shoot people? Yeah, it happened, but not on the level of what happens here in DayZ.

In short, anyone who tries to justify their KOS playstyle with, "If this happened in real life...." is an idiot. Yeah, you might have banditry, murders over resources and whatnot, but not the level of plugging people wearing t-shirts and jeans from hilltops with precious ammo that will also wear down your weapon over time. In short, people KOS because it's thrilling, it's fun, and they're used to doing that in a video game. End of story.

Errr, I own an Bushmaster M4A3, and AK-47, a smattering of pistols, several combat shotguns, a Sig Sauer SSG 3000 sniper rifle, a Mosin Nagant, a Mauser Kar 98K and a two M1 Garands. So I'm pretty second amendment.

And the M4 was designed for warfare. It was designed to put accurate fire and be more manueverable inside buildings, as the M16 can be too bulky. So yeah, urban combat, which involves shooting people.

Unless you're hunting urban turkey or CQC deer, I really don't know how you would say the M4 was made for other purposes. I mean, you -can- use it to hunt, I suppose, but I don't know any hunter worth his salt who would take any AR-15 style weapon on a hunting trip unless you're hunting varmits, and then your military weapon is a bit overkill.

• Like 1