Sign in to follow this  
Good Greef

Why Are Servers 70+USD?

More than double the price than the mod and 10 less total players---very high price point.

Also, didn't Hall say waaaay back that they really want to do servers that can handle 150 players?

If they stick to this pricing model, I mean---am I the only one that thinks the pricing is absolute robbery?

I find it insulting.

If this is the way its going to be, I can see how its going to be when private servers come out. Donor loadouts, 1000+ vehicles, self blood-bag/saline.

More than double the price than the mod and 10 less total players---very high price point.

Do not go wrong and compare it to the mod. The servers were extremely expensive when the mod first came out as well. They are dirtcheap now in my oppinion and it represents the general state of  the modservers as well (most are shit and too cheap).

Also, didn't Hall say waaaay back that they really want to do servers that can handle 150 players?

Still the plan - in testing it was 127 players and handled well. If he was going for that size now, most of the servers wouldn't be able to handle it, though. It will come in the future, don't worry.

If they stick to this pricing model, I mean---am I the only one that thinks the pricing is absolute robbery?

It will get cheaper with time. It happened with the mod and it will happen with the retail version as well. It was only so overpriced because noone had experience with it and the serverperformance was hard to handle - which is why they had to price them like that.

If this is the way its going to be, I can see how its going to be when private servers come out. Donor loadouts, 1000+ vehicles, self blood-bag/saline.

Like I said - it will get cheaper soon enough. I myself don't think it's a good price, but this also stops every 12 year old to have their own server. This is a bigger problem on the mod, currently. There are a lot of shitty administrators / servers, because everyone can afford their own and puts people like me and bigger communities in a bad spot, because the legitimate administrators are not nearly as common as the shitty ones.

These shitty admins will not get their own server if it's around 50-60$.

• Like 2

Not sure how much input the game company has on the price of the rentable servers.

Perhaps your frustration would be better aimed at the company which actually rents the servers.

It is probably just a case of milking it for all its worth.

I'm right there with ya. been talking to my group about renting one for our community group. The cost is just too high right now. I mean, we could all chip in and it would be minimal cost per person, and we considered it, but in the end, the total cost is just too high to justify paying somebody for the minimal services/features that are available. As the price (hopefully) goes down, and more is added to the game, it might justify renting. Newer AAA games aren't even close to this rate. Arma III was supposed to be a resource intensive game also. Prices were high when it came out too, but not this high, and it has since went way down. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Because capitalism,

Because 'Merica

Because because!

The hardware requirements for the SA are far above those required for the Mod. You could go for a lesser platform to host off of, but performance is going to be in the toilet, and, well, Alpha is bad enough without having to fight underpowered servers.

Server costs will scale down over time the same as they did with the Mod, and since we will be able to host our own off hive servers after release, there should be a significant drop coinciding with that.

At the moment, price and the lack of any real admin control over your own rented server, should be/is discouraging anyone except the White Knight server admins.

if you and your friends cant scrape together $2.10 a day forget about getting a server and get a fucking paper round

I think the price is a little high but would probably pay it if there was more to the servers. Right now you are paying for nothing, there are next to none features. Almost no admin control and you really cant do anything except restart your own server. Don't really see the point.

Hi.

I didn't realize the servers were 70+ a month, lol, that's pretty close to a grand a year.

I guess I shall take this moment to send out a big thank you to the guys paying for my playing space :blush: , even if almost every eastern US hardcore server is 24/7 daytime :(  :|  :)  :D

Regards.

• Like 4

I myself don't think it's a good price, but this also stops every 12 year old to have their own server.

These shitty admins will not get their own server if it's around 50-60$.

You'd be surprised how many parents shut up their kids by waving their creditcard around.  That being said, I've always tried to search for community servers with a website/forum and right now I'm browsing around if I can find a good RP community, I imagine those will usually have mature admins, not too mention better/more player interaction.

Edited by JoostVoordeel

Hi.

I didn't realize the servers were 70+ a month, lol, that's pretty close to a grand a year.

I guess I shall take this moment to send out a big thank you to the guys paying for my playing space :blush: , even if almost every eastern US hardcore server is 24/7 daytime :(  :|  :)  :D

Regards.

yeah thanks to all server hosters :)

• Like 1

It was only so overpriced because noone had experience with it and the serverperformance was hard to handle - which is why they had to price them like that.

not quite.

dean hall has very strict regulations for hosting companies (like committing to host a certain amount of server instances minimum) which scares most, and especially smaller companies away.

if he would have provided the server software for free and with a reasonable license charging only commercial sellers the situation would have been different... you know, there are many ppl who own a server that could handle at least 1 instance of dayz SA.

he refused to do so bc of the current state of the project (imagine a major exploit attacking the server infrastructure being found), but it is still his fault.

as soon as private hives are up and running this problem will be solved anyways, so just wait a little. dont pay the ripoff-price of 70$ just to put a password on the server and fetch your mosin w/o being disturbed.

Do not go wrong and compare it to the mod. The servers were extremely expensive when the mod first came out as well. They are dirtcheap now in my oppinion and it represents the general state of  the modservers as well (most are shit and too cheap).

What month in 2012 was that exactly? Because I rented a dayz.st server in October or November of 2012 (which was 6 months after release. If I miffed that up let me know.) and it was 30usd/month and the original price was 35usd/month (at least that's what dayz.st said on the main page). In fact, I just checked and its the same exact price/deal so dayz.st hasn't dropped their price on the mod since 10-11/2012.

Edited by Good Greef

THANKS OBAMA!

Because people will pay it? You see how many servers we already have right?

It's likely it's due to unoptimized workload.  DayZ currently consumes pretty crazy amounts of CPU time and memory based on things I see from the devs. That will change I'm sure but right now it's means that per player it's likely taking more resources per player than many other games.

Then figure that these servers likely in VMs (because who in their right mind would use a $10,000 server to run one instance of a game) and the prices start to climb based on workload, hardware, resources consumed...  Servers aint free man, and it's not gonna run on your old desktop you're using as a doorstop :P

some math:

$900 to rent a rack in a data center, incl hi-density power (hi-density servers, virtualized)

Each server costs say $750, but let's assume $500

Each server can run about 4 virtual machines running Dayz (the actual game servers).

Rack holds 42 servers, but discount some for routing equipment, so effectively on average 30 (averaging out on a 3 rack deployment)

IP Transit (the traffic that will be generated) will cost around $0.5/Mbps at a 1Gbps commit let's fix it at $500 for all 90 servers combined.

Cost:

CAPEX $500 x 30 x 3 = $45000 for the 90 physical servers (I'm assuming freeware OS and software)

OPEX $900 x 3 =$2700 rackspace rent 3 cabinets, per month

OPEX $500 Internet connectivity, per month

Total OPEX $3200 per month

Revenue: $60 x 30 servers x 3 cabinets x 4 virtual Dayz servers per physical server = $21600 per month. NB this assumes you sell all 360 DayZ servers from day 1.

Not included: General Admin and overhead, office rent, staff, support, marketing costs etc.

So considerable investments need to be made. Look for example at a company like gameservers where I host my server. All those locations you can choose for your server represent data centers where they have setups like above (I'm imagining).

They need thousands of paying customers every month to turn a profit. The server hardware is most likely obsolete in 2 years (can you play the finished DayZ in two years on the pc you now have?), rather than more typical 3 years, so recovering those costs needs to be done as well.

My point being, 12 year old boys not being able to afford a server has nothing to do with setting of the price. It's a business and to survive they need these prices.

Edited by unicornsmustdie
  • Like 3

You can run arma 3 servers for $10 USD.

They are clearly ripping people off. The game isnt half as GPU/CPU intensive as A3 and more people play Dayz so wtf....

Dayz also runs better than A3 so again wtf...

Edited by RyBo

They are clearly ripping people off. The game isnt half as GPU/CPU intensive as A3 and more people play Dayz so wtf....

Maybe, and maybe DayZ servers are subsidizing Arma 3 servers, who is to say? Only clear thing is that there's 1 million hungry gamers looking for servers. I am no insider, but I can imagine that server pricing is partially led by supply and demand.

Maybe, and maybe DayZ servers are subsidizing Arma 3 servers, who is to say? Only clear thing is that there's 1 million hungry gamers looking for servers. I am no insider, but I can imagine that server pricing is partially led by supply and demand.

Oh and btw $10 gets you an 8-slot Arma3 server likely, the 64 slot servers sell at $100+ per month..

You're confusing serverperformance and clientperformance - you should NOT do that. DayZ has much more to do serverside than ARMA 3.

What month in 2012 was that exactly? Because I rented a dayz.st server in October or November of 2012 (which was 6 months after release. If I miffed that up let me know.) and it was 30usd/month and the original price was 35usd/month (at least that's what dayz.st said on the main page). In fact, I just checked and its the same exact price/deal so dayz.st hasn't dropped their price on the mod since 10-11/2012.

Are you sure that it was 2012? I see you only just registered. And DayZ.ST don't even have official servers - don't know if they had once, but there servers are running like crap anyway. Had a server once and it was down 90% of the time. And so I have heard from everyone else I talked to that had a server there.

And I do have my experience with serverhosting - DayZ.ST wasn't quite a good serverhost.

You'd be surprised how many parents shut up their kids by waving their creditcard around.  That being said, I've always tried to search for community servers with a website/forum and right now I'm browsing around if I can find a good RP community, I imagine those will usually have mature admins, not too mention better/more player interaction.

http://www.MustyGaming.com/Forum

Edited by kichilron

considering the commitment required from the hosting company per GSP agreement, its a pretty good price.

Edited by e47

Are you sure that it was 2012? I see you only just registered. And DayZ.ST don't even have official servers - don't know if they had once, but there servers are running like crap anyway. Had a server once and it was down 90% of the time. And so I have heard from everyone else I talked to that had a server there.

And I do have my experience with serverhosting - DayZ.ST wasn't quite a good serverhost.

Positive. Just because I recently registered doesn't mean I just started playing the game. Deduction is far more complicated than that.

I didn't have any problems with them until June-July of 2013 when all the ddos'ing was going on, which is a big reason why I left the game. There were other reasons; over modded servers killing traffic, community had dwindled to a crawl, basically jumped the shark, etc. But before that, no issues to complain about.

Dayz.st wasn't the only place I looked at either. I went with them because of their price point.

MPGS.CO is 72.16 USD/month.

Vilayer is 1.55 Euro's per slot. 40 slots is 62 Euros which is 83.89 USD/month.

Gameservers is 2.25 USD per slot with a 30 slot max totaling 68.95 USD/month.

Reiterating, I'm f*cking insulted at those prices and Dayz Mod was never that expensive 4 months after release.

I am a grown adult and could afford it if I wanted it, but I got this thing about being ripped off. Maybe I'm old fashioned and getting ripped off is the new thing all the kids are doing.

Edited by Good Greef