Spockrock

Server Hopping Master Thread to End All Threads

Not really a workable solution. Not only does it break immersion, it punishes random disconnects and network-side issues that the player has no control over and usually winds up suffering from at completely random and unexpected intervals. Big no-no.

And since anything implemented now will be a bandage patch until the lasting issue is fixed by the implementation of private and community hives, I honestly don't see the point in them wasting time coding something like this.

Nothing wrong with jumping around servers to gather loot when you have respawned, have no weapon, starving and have endless zombies to deal with, its only fair that you find something to drink and eat, a back pack of some sort, some rags and something to belt the crap out of the Zeek's.. 

Oh, yes there is. There's plenty wrong with it. But as far as it being unfixable, where public/community hives are concerned, you're more or less right.

Edited by Wolfguarde

Oh, yes there is. There's plenty wrong with it. But as far as it being unfixable, where public/community hives are concerned, you're more or less right.

Since all loot on any spawnlocation on most servers are already looted (and won't spawn back just yet), i'd say it's anyones choice. The game is now actually harder for a fresh-spawn than intended (and it's intended to be pretty fucking hard). So if you can't manage the couple km to travel without food/water/weapon it takes to survive, you do what you must to get to play the game. I personally do the traveling-bit once i freshspawn, but i enjoy the intense uncertainty and the sneakyness combined with "Man, i hope i'm not lost". But i get people who gets frustrated when every toolshed has been looted in a mile radius.

server hopping has been around since the first version of the mod came out. changing loot spawning patterns won't solve it, I'm afraid

Understood, but the OP was dealing with the issue of loot spawns being ransacked before they reached them the "fair" way. I was merely pointing out that he was trying to solve an issue that shouldn't exist in the real game.

Server hopping for tactical advantage is a much more difficult nut to crack, and the current solution in place is to my mind probably the best one. However it does come with it's drawbacks; Introducing new people to the game can be an infuriating experience as they don't understand why they have to wait when you jump between servers!

Since all loot on any spawnlocation on most servers are already looted (and won't spawn back just yet), i'd say it's anyones choice. The game is now actually harder for a fresh-spawn than intended (and it's intended to be pretty fucking hard). So if you can't manage the couple km to travel without food/water/weapon it takes to survive, you do what you must to get to play the game. I personally do the traveling-bit once i freshspawn, but i enjoy the intense uncertainty and the sneakyness combined with "Man, i hope i'm not lost". But i get people who gets frustrated when every toolshed has been looted in a mile radius.

Yeah, it does encourage it. Not denying that it makes things easier, and as in any game where there's a high challenge factor, there's going to be people who take the easiest path to progression (resource/gear collection in this case), thinking it justified. Given the current state of the game, it is. But it's still something that shouldn't be possible, or done, in my opinion. It exploits the hive system to dodge a massive chunk of the game's difficulty factor, among other things. So long as private hives aren't rendered illegal in the course of the game's development, though, it doesn't bother me as much as it does some.

Edited by Wolfguarde

Even with this nuisance of a "fix", you'll find high priority buildings are still hopped. Go into Berezino on a few servers, you'll often notice the School and both Piano Houses have been looted yet the apartment buildings between them are untouched.

Can't stop the hop.

Understood, but the OP was dealing with the issue of loot spawns being ransacked before they reached them the "fair" way. I was merely pointing out that he was trying to solve an issue that shouldn't exist in the real game.

in the mod for the longest time it was even funkier. loot would spawn when players entered the bubble (trigger) surrounding the buildings. it was roughly 600 meters wide IIRC. so you could loot an area, leave the bubble, step back into it, and new loot would spawn in. made surviving trivial. that + server hopping made DayZ the PvP deathmatch everyone fell in love with. then Wasteland came out and streamlined the deathmatch aspect even more. 

I really hope rocket comes up with something different for spawning loot this time around