Sign in to follow this  
omgwtfbbq (DayZ)

In-game sound needs to be re-worked

The issue is that my character stomping around is louder than my friend when they are more than five feet away

If you can't hear them then you should try to see them, hence looking around more. The issue here is laziness.

Edited by Hells High

I noticed this a lot last night.  I was in the middle of nowhere, watching a road, and I kept hearing random zombie screams, then random soda can openings, then I could hear someone's voice chat who was obviously not near me; he was describing his location to a buddy, and it wasn't anywhere near me.

I figured out the soda can was just a bug/whatever, because I heard it like 15 times once while on the roof of a building outside the southern airfield. 

So, this seems like the perfect place to put my insanity on display.

Since day one, I've always assumed the "random" sounds of opening cans, stacking ammo, popping the top off a nice and warm soda, eating, and the random zed sounds were actually generated by other players within your character's neatwork bubble.  The changes in volume for each depended on the players distance from your character.  If you pay attention, these sounds will always play louder in high population areas.

This, so far, perhaps by pure luck, has allowed me to judge the distance of anbther player.  Judging the volume of the random sound along with my location on the map, I could usually guess where the offending player was.  So far, it's been rather accurate.  Again, this could be purely a coincidence.

I've been known to be a bit off at times so take this with a grain of salt.  I live by it but you guys shouldn't. 

I very much doubt this is the case. If it was it would mean you have guys drinking 50 cans of soda in a row, or endlessly combining and splitting up ammo rounds. Since the variety of those sounds is very low (while if it was actual player sounds, it would be a much larger array of sounds, and not repetitive like that) I can't imagine them being anything but randomly generated ambient static.

• Like 1

I very much doubt this is the case. If it was it would mean you have guys drinking 50 cans of soda in a row, or endlessly combining and splitting up ammo rounds. Since the variety of those sounds is very low (while if it was actual player sounds, it would be a much larger array of sounds, and not repetitive like that) I can't imagine them being anything but randomly generated ambient static.

Test it.  And people will consume soda in that manner.  :)

Coming from a brony? :P

OPs point is that it isn't simply polish, that sound is integral to gameplay, and situational awareness.

I know his point isn't polish, but sound design is part of polish, and the game won't be "Officially released" until 2015. You can wait for better weapon sounds.

So you think we should hear constant cans popping and reloading 

That isn't sound design, that's network design. You're complaining about the wrong thing.

• Like 1

You would think random sound bug would be easy to fix. Breaks immersion, needs to be critical status. Chain link fence and stick breaking are no help either. You cannot simulate live action sounds without a source of said action. Those kind of effects feel artificial (like background gun shots in some games). Looking around for a disturbed chain link fence or broke stick is trolling at its finest.

Edited by SIDWULF

You would think 

You would.

Until you tried making a game.

• Like 1

That isn't sound design, that's network design. You're complaining about the wrong thing.

The OP was complaining about hearing random sounds constantly and then you say basically stop being impatient and its an alpha and rabble rabble, and now you realize what you said is not reasonable so you claim I am complaining about the wrong thing?

The fact is, no one can effectively test combat, social interactions, and just plain survival with these constant random sounds going off.  It needs to be rectified ASAP and "its an alpha" is not a valid excuse because it needs to be fixed for the sake of the alpha.

The OP was complaining about hearing random sounds constantly and then you say basically stop being impatient and its an alpha and rabble rabble, and now you realize what you said is not reasonable so you claim I am complaining about the wrong thing?

I said stop being impatient because I assumed a thread titled "In-game sound needs to be reworked" was a complaint about sound quality, not random sounds happening, which is an issue of networking that I agree needs to be nailed down immediately.

Complaining about sound quality is futile at this point.

Edited by Applejaxc

These white circles would indicate specific directional sound, not well represented through headphones/speakers. In real life, imagine an object one foot behind you on the floor making a sound. You can tell at the very least two things. First, it is behind you. Second, you could tell it was coming from the floor a close distance away.

Which is exactly what surround sound is for. It doesn't work properly yet in the SA but works okay in the mod. You don't need visual cues once they get around to fixing up the network bubble and sound issues.

• Like 1

Which is exactly what surround sound is for. It doesn't work properly yet in the SA but works okay in the mod. You don't need visual cues once they get around to fixing up the network bubble and sound issues.

Surround sound isn't perfect, and not something all of us can get away with using. Capable headphones aren't cheap, and speakers can upset the little ones/partner.

Not that I'm saying we need to add the dots back in, but anything we can use to provide ourselves us with better situational awareness would be welcome.

As someone earlier said, it's pretty easy to lose track of companions while traveling through the woods or even some buildings, which isn't a failure (as someone else said) of using your eyes, but rather the fact that we rely heavily on sound, and the game, as it stands, is just awful at providing meaningful sound cues.

• Like 1

- character eats way too god damn loud

Hi, I think the eating sound should be audible only by the player who is eating and nobody else. When I'm eating with other people in real life I don't hear them eating, I'm sure in an apocalyptic world the people would eat without making any noise fearing being heard by others.

.... but rather the fact that we rely heavily on sound, and the game, as it stands, is just awful at providing meaningful sound cues.

Right.  As it stands.  We don't need visual notifications of sound.  Once sounds are working how they should, things will all be ok I promise.

All i miss is the gun sounds. Remember that satisfying thud the DMR gave, the one that earned me a complaint from my landlord....all because i didnt realise it was 3am then had to open up on some bandit with my sound still on full :)

The guns now dont seem to have a powerful sound as they used to. I know a lot of people complained about the arma2 gun sounds but i always thought they were really good. I mean after all it was trying to simulate those weapons.

But hey i know...that they know about it. And its good they got some pros coming in to sort it out :)

The can opening sound when it's close by, even when in middle of a field is really annoying. Also chirping birds is way exaggerated, sounds like I'm in a aviary.

I said stop being impatient because I assumed a thread titled "In-game sound needs to be reworked" was a complaint about sound quality, not random sounds happening, which is an issue of networking that I agree needs to be nailed down immediately.

Complaining about sound quality is futile at this point.

The quality of the sounds (i.e. guns or eating) is not as high priority as the random sounds being produced by nothing. As far as the running sound, simply speeding up or slowing down the sound by just a little bit would solve the problem.

Right.  As it stands.  We don't need visual notifications of sound.  Once sounds are working how they should, things will all be ok I promise.

Point made. Thread has been updated to accommodate. I would like to see the visual indicators if the directional sound is not eventually made to provide enough situational awareness.

Edited by omgwtfbbq

I agree 100% with OP, this should be top priority. Cities would be much comfortable no be in if there were no sound issues.

Surround sound isn't perfect, and not something all of us can get away with using. Capable headphones aren't cheap, and speakers can upset the little ones/partner.

Not that I'm saying we need to add the dots back in, but anything we can use to provide ourselves us with better situational awareness would be welcome.

As someone earlier said, it's pretty easy to lose track of companions while traveling through the woods or even some buildings, which isn't a failure (as someone else said) of using your eyes, but rather the fact that we rely heavily on sound, and the game, as it stands, is just awful at providing meaningful sound cues.

Yeah.. it's break the bank hard to get surround sound... Not!  <_< 

https://www.razerzone.com/surround/donate-and-download

Hey look.. it's FREE! 

These random sounds (or mood setup sounds) should only belong to a SINGLE-PLAYER game. In an online simulation game like DayZ, people need to hear precise sound effects in order to gain situational awareness.

And there should be door opening/closing sound. It's very important to the gameplay.

• Like 1

These random sounds (or mood setup sounds) should only belong to a SINGLE-PLAYER game. In an online simulation game like DayZ, people need to hear precise sound effects in order to gain situational awareness.

And there should be door opening/closing sound. It's very important to the gameplay.

So we shouldn't be hearing birds singing, random thumps of tree branches falling, trees groaning, fences rattling from wind, or other background noises? You have been outside on a quiet day, right?

Yes, it would be very nice if doors made sound.

So we shouldn't be hearing birds singing, random thumps of tree branches falling, trees groaning, fences rattling from wind, or other background noises? 

The birds chirping are fine. The trees swaying are fine. The sound of branches being snapped under my own feet is fine. The sound of someone slamming into a chain link fence or kicking over a garbage can are not. This post is only in reference to the unnatural sounds. A fence does not make that loud of a sound in soft wind.

Edited by omgwtfbbq

I honestly thought some of those random sounds were because I was hallucination. I seemed to only notice them when I was starving and it was always eat and drink sounds. But then I started hearing zombies and random chain link fence sound when there were none and i was healthy. 

So we shouldn't be hearing birds singing, random thumps of tree branches falling, trees groaning, fences rattling from wind, or other background noises? You have been outside on a quiet day, right?

Yes, it would be very nice if doors made sound.

I was referring to sounds like popping a soda when no1 is doing it, loud zombie growl when there are none around, etc.