Sign in to follow this  
Pr0jectseph

Is DayZ quite playable now?

Hi :)

I am fully aware that the game is still in Alpha.

But I am just enquiring as to whether you can play the game for an hour (or hours) or so with few *major* disruptions ( Freezes, constant rubber banding, disconnections etc?)

I have been waiting a while to play this, and I kindof don't want to wait anymore. But I don't want to waste my time if I’m going to be spending most of my time frustrated at lag and glitches.

I only ask because I know Rust is also in alpha, and it apparently has far less issues. And it may be a potential option until DayZ goes into Beta.

Thanks ;)

Kind of a difficult question to answer... I've had no freezing or issues with rubber-banding and very few with server-side lag recently... sometimes you still lose stuff if you set it on the ground while the server fps is too low.   But they're starting to add in an decent amount of items. It looks absolutely gorgeous.  I had no problem dumping 5 hours of my Saturday in to gearing up and stalking two players until they noticed me and tried to rob me... I was forced to murder them. :P

Very playable Very enjoyable. Does it have its problems sure here and there but already what 6 weeks in alot of the major hurdles are gone the stable branch of the game is doing quite well. Its still a little barebones who knows a future feature may break things ( but then its tested on experimental branch before going stable branch ) so feel free to buy it and play it....

DayZ is very playable, unless you're trying to run it off of a pentium 3 with windows 98.  The only issues that I've personally been experiencing, which have just started happening in the past couple of "dayz", is server latency has been through the roof, 50 mbps connection speed here, and major desync issues.

Mileage will vary.

Yes, it's playable, and yes, for those who liked the mod, it can be very enjoyable. For the average newcomers, though, it might still be a little too daunting.

IF your main criteria is whether you can play without game breaking bugs, then it's very playable.

Very playable, more playable than the mod in fact. Sure, you will have to deal with some issues, but on the whole I can play it for an entire day.

Thanks a lot for the input.
You may very well have signed up another player to the ranks.

(Or should I say, lead the calf to slaughter XD 

Mileage will vary.

Yes, it's playable, and yes, for those who liked the mod, it can be very enjoyable. For the average newcomers, though, it might still be a little too daunting.

IF your main criteria is whether you can play without game breaking bugs, then it's very playable.

LOL if he is worried about it being daunting then now is the time for him to get in when its still quite easy cause its only going to get harder. Jump in now if a tough survival game is what ya after learn what is in it now so you will be in a good place when the added features that will make it harder come in ....

LOL if he is worried about it being daunting then now is the time for him to get in when its still quite easy cause its only going to get harder. Jump in now if a tough survival game is what ya after learn what is in it now so you will be in a good place when the added features that will make it harder come in ....

Harder? Certainly. But probably more intuitive, as well. As it stands, there are a number of items without any use, buildings that don't spawn items, zombies that run through walls, and the likes. That's what I mean in regards to being daunting for a new player. Players of the mod are used to similar issues, and come into the SA expecting some jankiness.

Hi :)

I am fully aware that the game is still in Alpha.

But I am just enquiring as to whether you can play the game for an hour (or hours) or so with few *major* disruptions ( Freezes, constant rubber banding, disconnections etc?)

I have been waiting a while to play this, and I kindof don't want to wait anymore. But I don't want to waste my time if I’m going to be spending most of my time frustrated at lag and glitches.

I only ask because I know Rust is also in alpha, and it apparently has far less issues. And it may be a potential option until DayZ goes into Beta.

Thanks ;)

DayZ was playable when it was released.  Hell, the alpha is more playable than some "release" titles from AAA developers I've played in the past.

Yeah, it has issues but it is definitely playable.

As far as Rust goes...I don't know how many times this has to be pointed out...Rust is all good and well...but Rust and DayZ are two completely, entirely and massively different games.  Neither game is a replacement for the experience you'll get in the other.  They are night and day and Rust is working out many of it's own issues as well.

I'm going to go against the crowd and say no it's not playable.

The games great dare i say amazing but If you ain't been dying to play dayZ but are interested in it you should definitely wait, as if you do you will have a better experience for the same price where as playing now in it's current state may turn you off with all its bugs and lack of content, nobody wants that!

Edited by twingunz

Dayz is actually playable, but at this moment is very Boring. In a short period of time you get enough stuff to survive and then you havent anything to do but going pvp ay shore cities. There are no zombies and the combat system is broken.

Id say playable....but..

If you have a lot of time in the mod then it gets boring fast due to a lot of features not being in. If you want something with more depth wait, at the moment there's not much to do past gearing and PvP. But if you didn't play the mod then you could spend most of the alpha just exploring Chernarus :)