Sign in to follow this  
nvrsbr

Player markers on Maps?

So is there one?

when I open a map I dont see a marker on it showing me where I am?

Edited by nvrsbr

No, nor will there ever be

I had no problem with this in the mod, actually.  As long as it only shows you (or at least where you spawn) I wouldn't fuss about it too much.

I had no problem with this in the mod, actually.  As long as it only shows you (or at least where you spawn) I wouldn't fuss about it too much.

/Realism

• Like 1

the map should only have this if you have a gps unit.

I will agree with this one but, only shows your aprox location in that grid and only on the GPS screen, not the map.

• Like 1

Disagree completely.

Realism is the reason. In real life If I have a map, and look at it, there no "You are here" marker that follows me around. Nor does it even give me a general location. I have to find my own locations based an visible landmarks and road signs. And if I did want to mark my location with a pen or pencil, I would still have to identify my location manually and then mark it. 

This will never be implemented and I'm sure even if/when they implement GPS it will be separate from the paper map forcing you to compare the two using the GPS coordinates or landmarks on the device itself. Hopefully it will be possible to at least look at your GPS screen and map simultaneously to make this process easier and more naturally realistic.

Edited by WolfgangErikson
  • Like 1

I will agree with this one but, only shows your aprox location in that grid and only on the GPS screen, not the map.

Not sure, but as far as I remember you only got the coords for the map with your gps in the mod.+

So I´m pretty sure they´ll implement it like this in the SA if it ever will be implemented.(GPS would work in a post apocalytic world, not for 100 years but at least 10)

So is there one?

when I open a map I dont see a marker on it showing me where I am?

No. I know it is unrealistic as every RL paper map shows your exact location for you and you don't actually have to have any sort of knowledge to know where you are.

Not sure, but as far as I remember you only got the coords for the map with your gps in the mod.+

So I´m pretty sure they´ll implement it like this in the SA if it ever will be implemented.(GPS would work in a post apocalytic world, not for 100 years but at least 10)

See bottom of: http://www.gps.gov/systems/gps/space/

Operational lifespan is 7.5~15 years if we allow DayZ to be set after 2015.

Actually, that's a little scary in itself. No GPS 15 years after any apocolyptic event! Might need some plans in place to account for that.

well gps units now have maps loaded in them and they do show your exact location on the map screen of the unit, so i have no problems with having to look at the gps unit but, this isnt 1980, gps units are very accurate these days, and they give you a lot more info than just your current coordinates.

Edited by hellcat420

See bottom of: http://www.gps.gov/systems/gps/space/

Operational lifespan is 7.5~15 years if we allow DayZ to be set after 2015.

Actually, that's a little scary in itself. No GPS 15 years after any apocolyptic event! Might need some plans in place to account for that.

fortunatly for me, i know how to use a map and compass, and im pretty good at orienteering. that is why im a big fan of learning the low tech ways to do stuff before i start to use high tech gizmos.

While playing on a server I noticed that they enabled the player position icon when viewing the map. So it is definitely available in game but most servers have it disabled.

the mapsystem as it works right now is great. u get better and better everytime you locate yourself, dont fear it u cant get really lost. ;)

but look how small these gps trackers are today... include a simple lcd map....

fenix.jpg

theres a 3d modell of a watch alright in the gamefiles, maybe its more as a normal watch :)

DEAN DO IT PLZ! :)

Edited by quantum2k6

well gps units now have maps loaded in them and they do show your exact location on the map screen of the unit, so i have no problems with having to look at the gps unit but, this isnt 1980, gps units are very accurate these days, and they give you a lot more info than just your current coordinates.

As someone else has suggested.. In this scenario there may be no one operating the sattalites that enable GPS, therefore no GPS regardless of the year.

this isnt 1980, gps units are very accurate these days, and they give you a lot more info than just your current coordinates.

Yes this isn't 1980 but the apocalypse, were the shit hits the fan and everything turns to garbage. So don't expect to much out of your toys.

fortunatly for me, i know how to use a map and compass, and im pretty good at orienteering. that is why im a big fan of learning the low tech ways to do stuff before i start to use high tech gizmos.

And honestly, it's not that hard. Sun, moon, stars, clouds in DayZ are all useable to find direction. It's why the first thing I do on logging in is look up. I've also got the requisite sets of printed topo maps. Never know what's going to happen tomorrow...