oLoki182o

Alt Tab Death

Yeah sorry. I didn't play the mod or anything and din't want to spend 6 months learning the map just by walking around and exploring blindly. 

Pretty sure you missed the point then.

Indeed good sir, it is. 

Games are meant to be fun, and play them the way you want. Everyone has the freedom to do what they like. For me, I didn't buy the game to be a hiking and wilderness simulator. I bought it for the sandbox interactions between people, zombies, and the whole survival idea. 

Like I said earlier, I did not feel like wandering the lands blindly for hours, days, whatever, until I get the map down in my head.

I never used it for loot locations, honestly, I figured they were incorrect anyways.Just to have that basic layout of the area, where the towns were ect. 

+1, there's no need to bash players like myself who have jobs with long hours and don't have time to dedicate to memorizing a map, or even finding all the pieces. Also I'd pay for a laminate map of DayZ to put up in my house.

• Like 2

Because map pieces are so scarce, we are forced to use alt tabbing to view a map of the game thru a website. I have lost count of the times where I find a spot in a town and NO body is around.

I sit there for a few mins and then all of a sudden I alt tab to view the map and when I alt tab back into the game... there is a Zombie on me.

Nah sorry but you are not forced to alt tab. First of all you don't need a map. However if you feel you do then : Secondly you don't need to alt-tab. Steam overlay works perfectly well within DayZ.

Plus, most people do not understand the road signs...

That is the point. I don't speak Russian either but I look at the signs to know where I am

Believe it or not, not everyone has a brand-spanking new tablet/smartphone that wipes your ass for you as you play meaningless apps. : P I, for one, can't afford one.

I guess it's time for you to pay attention to your surroundings.

The rest of us have died many times and started on the shore again only to eventually learn where we are from experience and landmarks.

Anyone who says they do not alt tab to look at a map is full of it. Playing on a map of this size you could spend hours getting back to your group, who probably is still on the move, if you go strictly by road signs.

If you must use an external map, http://savagecore.eu/dayz/ is the cleanest.  No loot drop information, nothing to clutter it up.  Simple and fast.

I find myself occasionally looking for wells on DayZDB but that is all I use it for.

One ought not complain that one suffers damage in a minimized or alt-tabbed window.

Edited by weld
  • Like 1

since the advent of GPS and smart phones it's pretty common for people to not own maps. I know I don't have any in my house...

Heh....I've got a 4 x 5 foot map that's been hanging in my house for several years now, some of you might even recognize the location  :P

That map and a set of wet erase markers were invaluable back in the days of tents and multiple hives. It never proved to be particularly useful during game-play, but it sure was nice for keeping track of my tent strings (and bandit camps) across multiple hives. 

742M7.jpg

• Like 1

Because map pieces are so scarce, we are forced to use alt tabbing to view a map of the game thru a website. I have lost count of the times where I find a spot in a town and NO body is around.

I sit there for a few mins and then all of a sudden I alt tab to view the map and when I alt tab back into the game... there is a Zombie on me.

LOL, this is not a problem with the game. This is just a learn to play aka learn to tab issue. I tab out of my game very often, never died or been attacked.

I guess it's time for you to pay attention to your surroundings.

The rest of us have died many times and started on the shore again only to eventually learn where we are from experience and landmarks.

I think you might have quoted the wrong person. What does my statement about smartphones have anything to do about situational awareness?

hit shift + tab and it brings up the steam overlay while still being able to hear your game.

Then at the bottom left hit web browser, then type in : dayzdb.com

Done :D