Fabik

The most common 'cheat' used in DayZ...

Not everyone will circumvent it, in fact most would be too lazy to do anything about it.

Point is to get as many as you can this way.

This makes no sense, because the reason that people circumvent it is BECAUSE they are lazy. Most people who use these exploits use them because it's the easy way out and is spawned from utter lazy gamers the vast majority of the time

This makes no sense, because the reason that people circumvent it is BECAUSE they are lazy. Most people who use these exploits use them because it's the easy way out and is spawned from utter lazy gamers the vast majority of the time

So your logic is since we cant stop them all we shouldn't try to stop or atleast catch most of the voice coms ?

Forced in game voip is a simple addition that would catch most, the ones who still circumvent it would have always found a way to talk on comms and remain quiet, but at the same time they now have to go an extra mile to avoid being heard in game.

how is communication  "spawned from utter lazy gamers"? most people i know use voip because sharing the experience and communicating directly makes it more enjoyable. the reason why this debate is led so passionately, is because this is suddenly denounced as something wrong, as something objectionable. which is imho absurd.

Forced in game voip is a simple addition that would catch most, the ones who still circumvent it would have always found a way to talk on comms and remain quiet, but at the same time they now have to go an extra mile to avoid being heard in game.

forced ingame voip would be a gamebreaker for me and many others, who use VoiP to communicate with others who are not at the same time in the game.

Edited by e47
  • Like 1

how is communication  "spawned from utter lazy gamers"? most people i know use voip because sharing the experience and communicating directly makes it more enjoyable. the reason why this debate is led so passionately, is because this is suddenly denounced as something wrong, as something objectionable. which is imho absurd.

No im responding to his original idea to get rid of people using TS or other VOIP programs not ingame. I'm not trying to say they're bad, simply saying his solution doesn't work. 

and i apologize if i came across as commenting on people who use the other VOIP programs for their own purposes. I was making a commentary on the people who will use it to get around any sort of implementation they create for the game. Was not my intention to make a blanket statement about certain players

xD

• Like 1

Yea using outside programs to talk to friends is perfectly fine.

What I believe some people have a problem with is having those players be quiet almost feels like they have an advantage.

That minor problem has a simple fix.

What I believe some people have a problem with is having those players be quiet almost feels like they have an advantage.

And there is a simple fix for that fix which several people have already said, so there's NO POINT

all you have to do is plug your mic into something else or just unplug your mic period so your voip isn't activated. this won't work xD

And there is a simple fix for that fix which several people have already said, so there's NO POINT

all you have to do is plug your mic into something else or just unplug your mic period so your voip isn't activated. this won't work xD

Of course the point is you catch some people. Not everyone will get caught but is it not worth it to catch the majority ?

Of course the point is you catch some people. Not everyone will get caught but is it not worth it to catch the majority ?

See here's the point that I made to e47 and was unfortunately caught up in my translation into the same mind set. You're referring to his crowd as some sort of "evil" group, judging by the fact you said they would be "caught". So if they are so heinous and evil (im exaggerating, you get my inflection) and they only want to sidestep the rules, then all they have to do is simply UNPLUG THEIR MIC, MUTE THEIR MIC when appropriate (which is incredibly easy to do), or use some sort of other device to communicate with instead

So if people don't want to be subject to these methods, they may not even use a mic at all, or hook it up to another device, which gives you even MORE players you can't communicate with. How on earth does this help?

Forced VOIP will not work to curb the amount of people using third party voice comm. programs.

Edit:

and let's be honest, it wouldn't be difficult for you to simply turn your comp mic off and have a group communication using your smarthpone, tablet, etc.

Edited by DeatHTaX

from my experience, people who do not want to communicate via direct chat with strangers cannot be forced to do so, and people who are willing to communicate via direct chat with strangers will do so, no matter if they have 10 friends in TS3 at the same time or not. among my friends, interrupting a teamspeak convo to press capslock and shout out to another player ingame is pretty common..

in the end, if you want to change how players behave, you need to change the metagame, not the mechanics. to tell a story, when Doc Wasteland went out and started healing people back in the times of the mod while everybody else was just paranoid and shooting each other, he didnt call for a change of game mechanics. he changed it himself, singlehandedly, by introducing a component of trust. and the gameplay changed, players have seen that you can really choose your path, and there was great fun with people playing as medic, supply runners and bodyguards..

following OPs logic, the medic whitelist too is an out-of-game asset providing information that wouldnt be available through ingame means, and thus cheating, and yet it has added so much great value to the game, it has created so many great stories. you cannot simply denounce any out-of-game asset as an exploit. you need to carefully analyse how much it adds, and how much it detracts from the experience.

• Like 1

There is no way we can get people to use in-game chat functions unless we give them some kind of advantage over using 3rd party software.

I dunno how they can make in-game chat more advantage, but there is no other way to encourage others not to use 3rd party software.

Still won't work. I'd just unplug my mic from my tower, and plug it into my laptop. Or use my phone. There is no way at all to prevent people from using TS, even if that did for some reason seem like a good idea. (it doesn't.)

I'm not saying it'd make people stop using TS or other soft. Thing is, those who are so 'addicted' to using this soft, or loot maps, or 3rd person-'WH' will use it, making this game easier. Rest of the community, as well as some of those who use TS to talk with group (Me and my friends for example), won't really care, and it would even odds for that players. 

I never counted any of those players, who would use any advantage to simplify the game. You can as well turn brightness and gamma all the way up at night, and justify it in any way you want, who the hell need NV anyway, eh? Or start server hopping to gear yourself up in 5 minutes, instead of 5 hours. This way it'll be interesting and you'd go to 'real game' faster, eh?

Edited by Go0lden_Archer

Could they code such that the game will process anything picked up on a microphone as "direct communication"?

People would hate this, but I bet its easily doable and doesnt require you to worry about whatever other apps they have running.  If you dont want to make sound, you literally cant make sound, or you mute your mic.

That's a brilliant idea... the game should realize when the microphone is activated.

• Like 1

That's a brilliant idea... the game should realize when the microphone is activated.

I don't really want to walk through a town and here someone's kids screaming in the background, tyvm

as far as the topic of discussion goes for discouraging out-of game comms, the microphone would have to be plugged into the computer running the DayZ client...so therefor, again, all you have to do is use another form of E-communication if you dont like that :/

There is no "fix" and there will never be one, because it's not a "problem" that needs a fix in the first place.

If you wanna play the "lone wolf" type of character, feel free to do so.

If you wanna go full on RP and imagine yourself in a chrisis, feel free to do so. 

If you enjoy playing as a social person, feel free to do so.

If you only want to have fun playing with your friends, feel free to do so.

Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't the special tihng about DayZ that the Devs only gave us tools and let us do what ever we wanted with it?

I don't see any "problem" with using 3rd-party VoIP software, espacialy since the ingame function is just not working.

So keep on talking about a "solution" for a non existing "problem".

Using VoIP is a crutch. Just like loot maps are a crutch.

OP idea wasn't to have crutches removed. If you wanna use them, do it.

But you can't say that VoIP and loot maps are not cheats. They are. Just like walkthroughs are cheats for solo games.

Using VoIP is a crutch. Just like loot maps are a crutch.

OP idea wasn't to have crutches removed. If you wanna use them, do it.

But you can't say that VoIP and loot maps are not cheats. They are. Just like walkthroughs are cheats for solo games.

dont try the association fallacy.

loot maps exist for one purpose: to reveal what you else would have to learn by experience - that military barracks spawn military loot, that police cars spawn handguns and maps, etc.

VoiP does not exist for the sole purpose of reducing the challenge of the game. it actually often adds value to the game.

those two have nothing in common. by trying to throw them in the same bin, you are disqualifying yourself from serious discussion.

dont try the association fallacy.

loot maps exist for one purpose: to reveal what you else would have to learn by experience - that military barracks spawn military loot, that police cars spawn handguns and maps, etc.

VoiP does not exist for the sole purpose of reducing the challenge of the game. it actually often adds value to the game.

those two have nothing in common. by trying to throw them in the same bin, you are disqualifying yourself from serious discussion.

So when a friend has been shot in a certain fire station and warns you over VoIP about what happened, you don't think you are 'reducing the challenge of the game' ?

Come on...

• Like 3

So when a friend has been shot in a certain fire station and warns you over VoIP about what happened, you don't think you are 'reducing the challenge of the game' ?

Come on...

and VoiP exists solely for this purpose?

and if VoiP would be removed, he couldn't warn you by other means? through any of the dozens instant messengers, like steam chat? is the next step removing any instant messaging functionality from a computer before its able to start up DayZ?

I think ghosting and hopping are much more worst than TS, also you can't force people not using it, it's your choice using it or not, it depends if you want a full immersion with the game or not.

and VoiP exists solely for this purpose?

and if VoiP would be removed, he couldn't warn you by other means? through any of the dozens instant messengers, like steam chat? is the next step removing any instant messaging functionality from a computer before its able to start up DayZ?

Check the original post. I didn't say it should be removed. Just reminded everyone that it is a cheat...

• Like 1

It is only a "cheat" if the person using it was playing hardcore RP.

It is not a cheat for anyone else.

You can call it a cheat if you were using it but don't go around calling everybody cheaters if they happen to use it.

That is just forcing others to play your style of gameplay while there are so many different styles.

But if your purpose is to reduce the whole game to only one style without any different colours, then please leave this place and go play something else.

Thank you in advance.

I love how my 'useless' thread has generated 7 pages of comments. :rolleyes:

- I didn't say that VoIP should be prevented. It can't be done. Why would I ask for the impossible ?

Wow... so many casual players in DayZ, for whom the game is just a platform to socialize with their friends and they don't give a rat's ass if the game succeeds at being a SURVIVAL GAME and not some Second Life clone... :huh:

Feel special.  All of the most useless threads generate tons of views and pages because people like to complain.  No really, feel special.  Especially since half the posts in the thread are you bumping it.  SMH...

Edited by Mdogg2005

Check the original post. I didn't say it should be removed. Just reminded everyone that it is a cheat...

It is not a cheat.  You can think it is all you want, but I disagree.  I am not right because you say so.  And you are not right because I say so.  See how it works?

Edit: can't believe people keep coming to this stupid thread.  This'll be my last post so enjoy.  Calling VOIP a cheat.. Unreal. 

Edited by Mdogg2005
  • Like 2