shawnz0rs

Will we see optimizations for AMD users at some point along the way?

DayZ doesn't seem to be utilizing all of my cores which is holding performance back :( I'm talking 20FPS in cities bad. My computer is decent, and it should be running this game a hell of a lot better than it does. Idk, maybe I'm wrong and my computer isn't as good as I think.

Here's my specs :

AMD F(x)-6350 6-Core 3.9GHz Black Edition

Powercolor Radeon HD 7870 XT 2GB

Gigabyte GA-970A DS3 ATX AM3+
Kingston XMP Blu Red Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600

Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM

What would I need to upgrade to see better FPS? Would a SSD help boost FPS or would that just increase load times?

Your computer is fine. DayZ is just not optimized properly, and the Arma-engine generally suck at keeping good frames. You'll just have to wait. For some reasons, Dayz seems to like the intel processors better tho.

Upgrading to a SSD won't boost your fps, but it will increase loading times, and in general make your computer lightning fast compared to the old harddrives. I HIGLY recommend an SSD for your system.

Dayz simply has crappy multi core support atm, both on Intel and AMD. AMDs simply have it worse because... Well, theyre AMDs. Theyre cheaper for a reason.

Theyll optimize the game eventually, though.

Am on a gen1 (2010?) i7 920, HD5870 at 60+fps. Medium settings. (some low, some high, some medium)

Edited by Ratiasu

No you should of bought Nvidia sorry!

Btw you shouldn't be having problems with a 7870 i'm running a GTX 660 at 40/50fps... Have you tried changing the config files?

Edited by P3Nn

Try lowering some of the settings in

C:\Users\NAME\Documents\DayZ\name.DayZProfile

sceneComplexity=200000;  -This switches to lower detail objects more agressively the lower the number is. This helps a lot in towns because it drastically lowers the model detail.
shadowZDistance=250; -how far shadows are rendered
viewDistance=1200; -total view distance. Anything past this line will disappear in the fog
preferredObjectViewDistance=900;-how far objects are rendered (this is at 3000 default I thinks). If you can live with not seeing large objects 2-3km away then lower this

(these are not the default values)

Btw your pc is far above recommended requirements so hopefully they will improve the game performance. Until then lower some of this to get better fps

Also try lowing some post process settings. I get a 20fps difference when I lower some

I have a similar setup, I can play well. Only difference is I have DayZ on my main SSDD and I cant fault it. Though with ATI GPU issues and DayZ next time will be Nvidia.

Unless optimisations occur that is

Dayz simply has crappy multi core support atm, both on Intel and AMD. AMDs simply have it worse because... Well, theyre AMDs. Theyre cheaper for a reason.

Theyll optimize the game eventually, though.

Am on a gen1 (2010?) i7 920, HD5870 at 60+fps. Medium settings. (some low, some high, some medium)

I assume that 60+fps is a ceiling rather than an average.  Either that or you are running some config settings absurdly low.  I have the same CPU and a HD7870, and I average about 40FPS.  Peronally I wouldn't consider reducing the view distance to be a viable option, its a huge map, if you can only see just in front of your nose then you are missing out on the unique immersion supplied by a 3km+ draw distance.

Edit: just a tip for anyone reading, turn off ambient occlusion, and every time you log in make sure it is still off! it has a habit of turning itself back on, and it takes off about 10fps for me.

Edit: OP, its your CPU thats giving you poor performance, AMD CPUs just don't cut it campared to Intel, and due to terrrible CPU optimisation Dayz is heavily bottlenecked by CPU.

Edited by Continuity

always buy nvidia...a lesson I have learned sine they bought voodoo...

(big bias of course...)

optimization will come, if they stop fucking worrying about mosin paint and cheetos!

my medium rig gets the same performance as my high power rig...its annoying but tolerable for now.

i want 100 fps! lol

I have a similar setup, I can play well. Only difference is I have DayZ on my main SSDD and I cant fault it. Though with ATI GPU issues and DayZ next time will be Nvidia.

Unless optimisations occur that is

The only issue i've noticed is snow artifacts on trees with AF on, are you refering to something else?

I assume that 60+fps is a ceiling rather than an average.  Either that or you are running some config settings absurdly low.  I have the same CPU and a HD7870, and I average about 40FPS.  Peronally I wouldn't consider reducing the view distance to be a viable option, its a huge map, if you can only see just in front of your nose then you are missing out on the unique immersion supplied by a 3km+ draw distance.

Edit: just a tip for anyone reading, turn off ambient occlusion, and every time you log in make sure it is still off! it has a habit of turning itself back on, and it takes off about 10fps for me.

Edit: OP, its your CPU thats giving you poor performance, AMD CPUs just don't cut it campared to Intel, and due to terrrible CPU optimisation Dayz is heavily bottlenecked by CPU.

Nope, Ill see if I can post a screenie of my fps counter later today as Im at uni.

Edited by Ratiasu

Its about the cpu...

Typically pothead rodents tend to miss the point xD

• Like 1

The developers have been in talks with AMD and NVIDIA regarding optimisation.

DayZ, compared to Arma II and Arma III is focused around a specific area so it will be much easier to optimise compared to Arma which is a very open-ended game allowing a lot of different modifications meaning that it's difficult to specifically enhance features without potentially losing others.

The problem is that the engine performs best in the situation that most AMD chips are lacking, which is single-core performance. The engine only utilizes one core per CPU, which Intel chips are usually focusing in, while AMD chips tend to go with multi-core performance most of the time. Like the others have said, you'll either have to wait or get a decent Intel CPU, at least in the game's current state, if you want excellent frame rates.

I don't know man. I have similar specs (FX 8350 and a HD 7950) and get 40 plus frames in big cities. seeing as the 7870 and the 7950 are pretty much the same card... our processors are the only difference.

Edited by GafMast

SSD is used for system loading not for loading games because everytime you run a game it will overwrite and do the same thing all over and over again untill your SSD gets full (Waste of money then), SSD is used for system a.k.a windows

"-cpuCount=X – set this to how many cores your CPU has."

Maybe that will help? I need to try it too actually

SSD is used for system loading not for loading games because everytime you run a game it will overwrite and do the same thing all over and over again untill your SSD gets full (Waste of money then), SSD is used for system a.k.a windows

And SSD is awsome for games, which does alot of reading directly from the HDD.

AKA every single RV engine game ever created :D

SSD will boost your performance in Arma, Take On Helicopters and DayZ, without a doubt.

What drugs are you on man? SSDs are great for gaming especially with the arma engine as it has to read a large amount of files for the game. And no SSDs dont magically get full when you play a game...

I am running a rig that should do worse than yours but is doing great, AMD FX-4170 Zambezi 4.2GHz, MSI 990FXA-GD80V2 AM3+, radeon 6850, CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM, OCZ Agility 3 AGT3-25SAT3-120G.

Do you have significantly less ram than me?

Yeah, I figured it was my CPU...I really hope to see some optimizations for AMD CPUs eventually :( Wish I would have gone with Intel now :/ fucking fuck. Thanks for the reply man.