Legacy (DayZ)

The one and only Anti-PVP/PvP Discussion thread! Whine/discuss here!

I dont know why you bring up the gear all the time, all that is needed for these guys to start doing what they are doing 24/7 is picking up an axe...

The easiest way to please everyone would be to create 2 different versions of DayZ.

For example "DayZ-PVP" and "DayZ-nonPVP"

So everyone could choose which version he wants to play.

Of course the PVP-Variant should be like the actual version, maybe a bit tweaked and the nonPVP-Variant should differ in many ways.

Make the nonPVP more difficult so the survivors are more or less forced to go in groups to survive.

Double or triple the spawns of Zed's, making them real hordes only stooped by headshots and let em spawn in forest in lower numbers. Change the loot-percentages and make most stuff more rare. Change the enviroment to a real apocalypse-style, more fog and much more darker...and so on...I have so many things in my mind... :)

2 different versions - everyone can choose which one he wants to play - finished with this neverending discussions about PVP or not...

Cheers

I dont know why you bring up the gear all the time, all that is needed for these guys to start doing what they are doing 24/7 is picking up an axe...

Some people just want to watch the world burn. In a sandbox game, you have to allow for that - and prepare for it. Perhaps I've been lucky, but I haven't ran into very many people that do that. The majority of people I run into are as scared of me as I am of them and it usually ends well over direct voice communication.

The easiest way to please everyone would be to create 2 different versions of DayZ.

For example "DayZ-PVP" and "DayZ-nonPVP"

So everyone could choose which version he wants to play.

Of course the PVP-Variant should be like the actual version, maybe a bit tweaked and the nonPVP-Variant should differ in many ways.

Make the nonPVP more difficult so the survivors are more or less forced to go in groups to survive.

Double or triple the spawns of Zed's, making them real hordes only stooped by headshots and let em spawn in forest in lower numbers. Change the loot-percentages and make most stuff more rare. Change the enviroment to a real apocalypse-style, more fog and much more darker...and so on...I have so many things in my mind... :)

2 different versions - everyone can choose which one he wants to play - finished with this neverending discussions about PVP or not...

Cheers

If you do that, you'll have people gearing up on PVE servers then moving to PVP servers.

If you lock your choice permanently, then you'll run out of things to do. Once you get the good loot, you're left with nothing to do.

Edit: then of course, you'll still have the trolls join the non-pvp servers and troll people trying to survive in the methods I described in a previous post. They are:

If a troll knew you couldn't do anything about him when you're both playing survivors, he could ruin your gaming experience far more than simply shooting you.

Loot your tents and take your vehicles with immunity.

Make a lot of noise and keep pulling zombies onto you, eventually getting you killed.

A few could stand in the doorways of a building you're in and keep you and your friends trapped.

Run up to you and empty your backpack into theirs.

A team of bandits could use a "survivor" buddy to stay with you and track your movements.

Think you're creeping thru the woods? Not when you have some random troll following you around standing up and making noise.

There are a hundred ways someone with immunity to you could make your game experience more miserable than simply shooting you.

Edited by Keshik

This coming from the same guy who pulled the TL;DR card. Right.

Sarcasm might not get through to you, so I'll go another route. Do you understand the fault in this retort, when I subsequently followed the TL;DR with several statements refuting your generalist position of "Everyone is out to get me and PVPers!" (To which, you never did show me where I ever said I wanted PVP removed from the game, or punished/penalized in any way, thus discrediting your entire counter-arguement)

wasn't this pinned or stickied?

Yup, I assume it was un-stickied during the maintenance/transition, through oversight or with the intention of it being a standard thread again (and not because the moderators/Dev team desire to squash discussion on the discussion forum, as Aaron would desire)

**Blah blah I don't have any valid opinions blah blah ...TL;DR ...*** Wonder what that means? Could it mean that the thread has run its course and needs to be closed? PERHAPS.

Oh yeah, TL;DR. Keep on your anti-pvp crusade brah.

Looks like the thread is still truckin' along, filled with words forming opinions of different varieties, dudebro.

Edited by sevtron

It's about as ridiculous as wanting rewards for essentially doing nothing (i.e. playing the game). I was simply elaborating on that point, it might of gotten lost in translation.

How is sneaking around, avoiding and killing zombies, exploring and gathering stuff seen as "doing nothing" in a Zombie Apocalypse game? It's enough for me. Hopefully there will be more stuff to do in future versions, because mindlessly killing others is no option for me.

Yeah because my posts have totally shown that I am an extremely aggressive person with no conversation skills who only spouts expletives and resorts to physical violence to get my point across. Right. Whos making the exaggerations now?

Well i'm used to much less swearing in conversations, so to me the ammount of it in this forum in general is huge. Exaggerations, well... yeah, it was exaggerated sarcasm.

I was including myself in my last comment, which you didn't quote by the way...

Maybe try german? ;)

My point about caring was that it is weird to harbor some sort of emotional tie to the game and actually care about the persons feelings whom you just shot, we've been killing random strangers online for the better part of what, 15 years now? I never got all teary eyed when I played Quake way back when and shot some random guy with a rocket launcher, why all the sudden would I have a mental breakdown over some guy I shot for their beans? It's not logical, and putting your emotions into a game isn't healthy, it's no different/weird than someone getting so angry that they physically harm things/people around them from a game.

Really now? ...

Quake (or UT or <insert random multiplayer shooter>) are supposed to be deathmatch (or CTF or whatever), it's how you score on these games. Getting killed by players is normal, there is no possibility to play it any other way. You have no loot, you have not played for hours building up your charakter, surviving and finding rare stuff. Are you seriously comparing DayZ with Quake?

And why would it be weird? I don't feel bad killing zombies of course, because as it has been stated, these are random pixel-characters (AI). But i feel bad killing players, because THERE IS A PERSON behind every single charakter in the game. A Person who maybe spend hours or even days surviving. For me, killing a player is no option, except when shot at first. It's not an emotional tie to the game, it's to the people who play on the other end. This is supposed to be realistic, so in reality i woulnd't run around like a maniac shooting everyone i see, period. People just do it so easily because this is a game and not real live, harming the realistic setting this MOD is trying to establish in my opinion.

And even if no real person is involved... are you suggesting, that nobody should get emotional over a fictional story? How is getting emotional over a book/movie/game (however the story is presented) unhealthy? Do you watch movies just with a stone face and afterwards think: "Well, that was neutral.".

And i do not want to restrict anything! I just want people to be more mature and have some kind of morale, like in real life. Do you really think, this would hurt the game so badly? And if yes, why?

Edited by xenomat

PvP is cheap content using mechanics it gets for free via using Arma-II as a foundation. It will be months to years before there is anything much else to do.

Though seeing Rocket describe how a team of newbies playing together, and getting axe murdered in turn by a silent veteran, is "cool emergent content" makes me realise he gets off on it. Also that he doesn't really understand the term.

Edited by Kageru

How is sneaking around, avoiding and killing zombies, exploring and gathering stuff seen as "doing nothing" in a Zombie Apocalypse game? It's enough for me. Hopefully there will be more stuff to do in future versions, because mindlessly killing others is no option for me.

Well i'm used to much less swearing in conversations, so to me the ammount of it in this forum in general is huge. Exaggerations, well... yeah, it was exaggerated sarcasm.

I was including myself in my last comment, which you didn't quote by the way...

Maybe try german? ;)

Really now? ...

Quake (or UT or <insert random multiplayer shooter>) are supposed to be deathmatch (or CTF or whatever), it's how you score on these games. Getting killed by players is normal, there is no possibility to play it any other way. You have no loot, you have not played for hours building up your charakter, surviving and finding rare stuff. Are you seriously comparing DayZ with Quake?

And why would it be weird? I don't feel bad killing zombies of course, because as it has been stated, these are random pixel-characters (AI). But i feel bad killing players, because THERE IS A PERSON behind every single charakter in the game. A Person who maybe spend hours or even days surviving. For me, killing a player is no option, except when shot at first. It's not an emotional tie to the game, it's to the people who play on the other end. This is supposed to be realistic, so in reality i woulnd't run around like a maniac shooting everyone i see, period. People just do it so easily because this is a game and not real live, harming the realistic setting this MOD is trying to establish in my opinion.

And even if no real person is involved... are you suggesting, that nobody should get emotional over a fictional story? How is getting emotional over a book/movie/game (however the story is presented) unhealthy? Do you watch movies just with a stone face and afterwards think: "Well, that was neutral.".

And i do not want to restrict anything! I just want people to be more mature and have some kind of morale, like in real life. Do you really think, this would hurt the game so badly? And if yes, why?

I really don't understand the way people like Aaron think in these discussions. How, in a rational mind, can what I've recently suggested, or have ever suggested be considered restricting anything? He can only deflect the real questions with jabs of pointing out you've made a typo, or other such trivialities.

The simplest answer is that they just want to be exclusivity desiring, high-tower-peering motherfuckers, and they want to prevent Dayz from becoming a commercial or worse - casual, success, because that would require the game moving -maybe, potentially, theoretically- into a less PVP-oriented final product. They would much rather Dayz phase down to a small-scale playerbase of hardcore PVP purists with no future.

I really want to be wrong in that assessment, but every time I log into the forums I am overwhelmed with the most vitriolic rancor directed towards anybody, anybody who dissents with PVP-centric tendancies, and it reinforces the assessment.

I really don't understand the way people like Aaron think in these discussions. How, in a rational mind, can what I've recently suggested, or have ever suggested be considered restricting anything? He can only deflect the real questions with jabs of pointing out you've made a typo, or other such trivialities.

The simplest answer is that they just want to be exclusivity desiring, high-tower-peering motherfuckers, and they want to prevent Dayz from becoming a commercial or worse - casual, success, because that would require the game moving -maybe, potentially, theoretically- into a less PVP-oriented final product. They would much rather Dayz phase down to a small-scale playerbase of hardcore PVP purists with no future.

I really want to be wrong in that assessment, but every time I log into the forums I am overwhelmed with the most vitriolic rancor directed towards anybody, anybody who dissents with PVP-centric tendancies, and it reinforces the assessment.

You still don't get it. I did the whole debate thing with you and several other people, I tried providing solutions or possible compromises, and it ended with you calling names and ignoring entire posts, so in return I stopped validating your opinions with intelligent thought out replies because it's a waste of time. Why bother reasoning with someone whos default reaction is to call you a douche or a tool?

My point has never been to stifle discussion, the point has been that it's a waste of time to debate against something that the developer has stated that is a part of the mod, and will always be a part of the mod. It's obvious he's looking into solutions to make it so people can identify bandits within reason, but clearly for some people that still won't be enough. You still have people like Kageru who will bold faced state that the developer himself doesn't know what's right for this mod.

Why so much vitriol against those who are against PVP? Because 95% of the suggestions offered are not compromises, they are outright nerfs to PVP itself. They don't want the type of 'fixes' rocket has planned, like blood on arms from looting a player you killed, they don't look at that as a possible solution or compromise, they will only complain by saying something along the lines of "oh well most bandits don't loot they just kill for fun so its useless" or "1/2/3/4/99 hours isn't enough". Most of these people don't want a compromise, they want their playstyle forced on everyone else, with suggestions like birds that follow bandits or pvp-disabled servers.

Would we like to see DayZ be a commercial success? Sure, within reason. But I think the true heart of this mod also has already died with such a huge influx of players, because the entire viability of any hope of co-operation/roleplaying/whatever lies in the willingness of it's community, and all it took was a few people to start KoS'ing, and this is what we are dealing with now, it's one big domino effect of it's own popularity. And the bigger it gets the worse it will get, and the more people we get in here, the more intensive the whining gets.

My entire argument has always been to play the damn game and stop complaining, be an alpha tester, report whats broken and let Rocket point the mod in the direction he wants to go. If he ends up getting fed up and makes the entire game PVE, I will still play, which is more than I can say for those people who threaten quitting if he stays the course on the current PVP state of the game.

• Like 2

Right now with how the game is currently being run admins have no way to police there servers. Trolls are rampant and about 90% of the player base are murderers and bandits. You cant set up a base camp or a tent anywhere since you can easily loot it and steal all the gear. Nonstop cheating and hacking going even on my server ive seen people blow up all the buildings in elektro and that shouldnt be posible with the way stuff spawns and they did that in 1 hour period of time. you cant walk into a general store hospitol or any town without finding barbwire or bandits every where. This is just another Team deathmatch game with the game being one sided for bandits and survivors just get a pick axe in the begining if there lucky to find one.Those who say pvp is the most important thing in this game then whats the point in zombie survival. After this last update makes me feel that rocket and the devs are purposfully putting in stuff for trolls to play with like another useless item the bear trap

This mod is showing the existing market for a zombie-apoc, hardcore game. Unfortunately, the devs aren't delivering that.

Before you start crying about "punishing" bandits, ponder this:

Remove the zombies and how many people even hear of this mod,. much less spend any time playing it.

Does anyone want to argue that this mod would have such incredible interest without having zombie-survival as a hook to draw new players in?

Then you build a game that is basically about farming those players...

Don't forget who you are, and why people are interested in your mod. And to players: don't be a sucker and play a game/mod to basically be farmed for the sake of others' epeen.

Edited by jonahcutter

The only reason i got arma 2 was for the fact that there was a mod called dayz with zombie survival. arma2 is a terrible first person shooter. everyone i know hated arma 2 and only got it after they heard about dayz but now none of them play cause this game is troll death match and not zombie survival so i dont see it lasting. if this game stays like this i definately wont buy arma 3 to play this

Well... here is a suggestion that's probably been mentioned before: The more player kills you have the more likely zombies will chase after YOU. They're much more prone to spotting/hearing that person as opposed to the folks who don't have "fresh blood" on them.

Does this mean that the non-PK'ers are immune to zombies? No. But I think it'd add an extra incentive to NOT kill other players. As for the snipers, well... maybe zombies could spawn 40-50 meters away after a particular gun-shot and eventually shamble their way over to the sniper. That way he'll need to keep moving instead of pick players off because he knows there is no stopping him.

I love PVP... but I think it's just kind of a waste of time to play the game for the zombies when your biggest fear is actually the other players. Maybe there should be team-based objectives? I dunno, just an idea for you folks.

Great post, Aaron

I extremely agree with your statement about the domino effect. Now I think that is really the underlining issue with most complaints about PVP. Also This thread needs to get sticked or pinned again.

Don't think it will get stickied again the developers want to hide this thread have you ever seen rockets youtube videos it shows how much they love pvp

Don't think it will get stickied again the developers want to hide this thread have you ever seen rockets youtube videos it shows how much they love pvp

Uhh, so then why would they want to hide this thread? It's 33 pages of lack-wit mouth-breathers like you getting put in your place left and right by people who actually appreciate what rocket has done and understand what DayZ is about.

This thread got unstuck because it wasn't a 33 page discussion it was the same discussion every 3 pages 11 times over restarting every time some < 10 post turd gurgler like you showed up and made the same asinine anti-PvP arguments that had been made 3 pages prior.

The conversation is over. You lost.

Edited by ZedsDeadBaby

Uhh, so then why would they want to hide this thread? It's 33 pages of lack-wit mouth-breathers like you getting put in your place left and right by people who actually appreciate what rocket has done and understand what DayZ is about.

This thread got unstuck because it wasn't a 33 page discussion it was the same discussion every 3 pages 11 times over restarting every time some < 10 post turd gurgler like you showed up and made the same asinine anti-PvP arguments that had been made 3 pages prior.

The conversation is over. You lost.

Actually Zed you are the loser, abuse like that to another forum member will hopefully get you banned.

Must be frustrating living in your mothers basement after all these years :lol:

Yours Sincerely

carebear

Edited by Mr Muggles

Have some Honour! I have turn my back to peoples not to shoot at me... and get bullet to back! Where is honor!

Actually Zed you are the loser, abuse like that to another forum member will hopefully get you banned.

Must be frustrating living in your mothers basement after all these years :lol:

Yours Sincerely

carebear

How is that abuse, are you retarded.

In all honesty you sound like you live in your mothers basement if you find that offensive.

After reading through a small percentage of the thousands of posts bitching about pvp its not so suprising that major studios never incorporate both PVP and perma death. Most don't even touch perma death as it upsets their precious player base who would rather spend 100 hours grinding through crap lvld content being told how they should take each step. Oblivious to the concept that they have choices or that their choices should have an effect on their character.

This makes me appreciate what Day Z is so much more, all I hope is that rocket doesn't cave in to outside pressure.

Death is supposed to suck, you died, thats what makes any type of perma death setting so great. Thats where all the tension comes from and its why all of these people are so butt hurt. The penalty as it is now is fairly weak, it doesn't even take long to get geared up again.I can't wait for the shit show that will follow in game skills or any other content that will get people more attached to their characters, thats when the real QQ will start. This is also what will push Day Z into a whole other realm, hours or weeks can be ripped away with a few rounds from the freshest noob.

Face it, you will die playing this game, it doesn't suck any more if its a sniper you didn't see or a bunch of infected. *You* made the mistake that got you killed either way, do you really expect an armed total stranger to be friendly to another armed total stranger when they have 1-5 seconds that determines if they live or die? Nevermind the fact that your in direct competition for resources and that a player's kit equates to all the time they spent looting and the risks that it entailed.

If you want friendly encounters you will have to use meta game, I think its rather authentic. Only an idiot trusts some random person they just met, meta game gives you chance to feel out the other party long before you meet and thats the way a real survivor would handle contacts. Maybe some day these things will be in game until then you have the resources, use them and stfu.

• Like 1

My opinion is that the Survivors are the cause of all the shenanigans happening in todays DayZ ...

Alot of stuff would not need to happen if survivors did not behave the way thay currently do.

And yes I am talking about survivors, not bandits. Now let me develope my thoughts.

Sure, this Mod has become popular, and it is really sad that alot if not all of the new players, do not play Arma 2 ...

Now, as this game has become so popular, it attracts all kinds of people, a majority of them being "CoD Kiddies", the very ones you hear yelling over voip, the very ones who made the CoD Community such a shit hole ...

I am not here to trash CoD, even tho imo, it went down hill from CoD 4 (Promod). But I am just setting the global mentality of most of these new arrivals.

You will alwys find scumbags who do not want to play the game as it was intended. Those people ruin the image of banditry, however thay still remain a minority, as most of them do not last long in this relativly hardcore game ... because what thay are used to and want is "Easy stuff", like in CoD ... Thay will end up leaving the game.

Now, why is it the fault of those who call themselves "Survivors", may I point out, you don't see Bandits coming to the forums to complain ...

Well, Survivors are for most, subject to greed, therefor thay will constantly go for more & better gear ... doing so, thay are painting huge red flashy "Kill me, I got good loot" targets on their backs ... and well, thay become paranoid, thay do not want to lose their gear, gear thay took DayZ to get ...

And, being so scared of losing their stuff, thay tend to Alt F4 to avoid death ... and shoot others on sight just to make sure those other people don't kill them for the loot.

The issue is that, Bandits, can no longer Rob people, cause when thay try, the "Survivors" either Alt F4, or shoot.

Sure, fighting back is one of the awsome interractions that can occure during a robbery, I love it myself when the person I try to rob puts up a fight.

But because nearly 99% of the people Alt F4, bandits can no longer rob, so thay end up shooing first then, well you know ...

So, is it the fault of the Bandits ?

Not really, sure there are morons who will do what thay want, but don't let a minority kill the game for the others.

PVP is needed for this game to remain intresting, without the fear of death, there is no reason to play.

I love DayZ, because it is so far the ONLY game / mod that gives me such adrenaline rushes, it's the only game that gets my hands shaking when I meet another player.

Help us save banditry, stop Abusing the game.

Death is part of the game, and believe me, starting fresh is equally fun, if not more.

Have fun & play fair.

Are people killing other people because of bordem? I was in a supermarket a player spawned in infront of me with a m-16 and i could only asume a bunch of ver useful gear but i didnt shoot we comunicated and i thought all was well and he killed me all i had was beans and a pistol. There was no logical reason to do this. i want to play this game with other players help each other and find some cool loot along the way but im at the point of cant beat them join them and that is what the game has become and im sure im not the only one who is getting sick of this game and leaving it to all the wankers to go and have a good time with it.