DeatHTaX

Great Expectations? (All about wheels)

So I've seen quite a few threads now about specific elements of vehicles and vehicle types, and have seen complete opposite ends of the spectrum. Some people want armored vehicles, most don't. There's an awesome thread about trains I think everyone should totally hype up on:

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/168690-itd-be-ludicrous-to-think-there-wont-be-a-functioning-train/?hl=train

But anyway, I'm curious to see the community's general consensus (if we come to one) on what our expectations for the vehicle system will be?

For example, what type of vehicles do we want/expect. Will there be varieties? Will they be open topped vehicles for susceptibility to small arms fire. Will the system to acquire one be like the original mod or will it be different?

Curious to see what you guys think

Personally I would like to see very lightly armored vehicles with no doors, roofs, etc, that can be spray painted and customized with tools. For example, you could find a blow torch (weld kit, etc) and add certain items to the vehicle such as armor plating for the front to protect the engine from small arms fire, or to make tire guards, or mount a defense weapon of some sort.

I am with the crowd who hopes there are no heavy duty military vehicles of any kind xD

Edited by DeatHTaX

As long as the vehicles don't handle like wheeled Bricks like they did back in the mod everything should be fine....

If you want realism get Dean to add the car physics from both "Assetto Corsa" and "Next Driving Game"..... Guarantee people would want to walk... unless they have a controller or wheel set up.

But really that's all im after, vehicles that handle like vehicles... and not moving slabs of concrete

I'm hoping for maybe one humvee per map, that would be refreshing. Also, one heli per map. They would be valuable :)

I'm hoping for maybe one humvee per map, that would be refreshing. Also, one heli per map. They would be valuable :)

Why the western stuff? i thought this was an ex soviet state...... 

• Like 2

yeah, while it is fair to say you can come up with a bunch of lore type excuses as to why humvees are in Russia, I think we all can agree it'd be cool to see some predominately russian stuff in a game for a change :D i've played enough BF to be sick of the Humvees. 

But then again, that may require redesigning an entire vehicle from the ground up for the game. 

• Like 1

That was invaded..ekhem....freed by USA.

• Like 2

i hope there would be fair amount of vehicles, so it would make the travelling less tedious. vehicles will still be a bad choice to ride into a battle with, since you are then so easily spotted and sniped with a Mosin. basicly lots of crappy civilian vehicles, not so much military vehicles that will act like moving fortresses.

I'm personally hoping for at handfuls of cars/trucks everywhere with 3 or 4 military vehicles per map (Urals/UAZ/etc). However, most of them requiring maintence or parts from factories. This would make the parts more valuable in addition to making most players fight for those parts to repair vehicles. In my eyes, vehicles are everywhere after a disaster you just need to get them running is the problem. Fixing vehicles should also be more complicated. You should have to find correct types of engine oil, anti-freeze, and various parts (Not saying every part should be replaceable but air filters/oil filters/radiators/tires/windows/fuelpump/etc).

Edited by mkoval

yeah, while it is fair to say you can come up with a bunch of lore type excuses as to why humvees are in Russia, I think we all can agree it'd be cool to see some predominately russian stuff in a game for a change :D i've played enough BF to be sick of the Humvees. 

But then again, that may require redesigning an entire vehicle from the ground up for the game. 

Not really, just take the models from A2 and make them nice and shiny and add em in... Since there is no back story to a liberation or invasion by NATO forces i don't see why any western equipment should be in.....

If DayZ had a back story however............................. 

i hope there would be fair amount of vehicles, so it would make the travelling less tedious. vehicles will still be a bad choice to ride into a battle with, since you are then so easily spotted and sniped with a Mosin. basicly lots of crappy civilian vehicles, not so much military vehicles that will act like moving fortresses.

Well let's be honest...I don't think 90% of the stuff in this game is designed to be less tedious xD lol so if you're goin for hope based on the amount of tediousness, you're in trouble my friend :D

Humvees are bought by alot of allied Military "Units" our western world pretends to "Support". so no...humvees should be allright.

Humvees are bought by alot of allied Military "Units" our western world pretends to "Support". so no...humvees should be allright.

Not in Russia and ex Russian states.... i'll gladly come pay you a personal visit and hand you £20 in cash if you find any Ex Soviet state using US military vehicles...... 

Allright than how a bout a Intervention force after shit hits the fan ? Maybe chernarussians called for help ? Its not like there is no US troops in bases around russia anymore ;)

Edited by {Core}BlackLabel
  • Like 1

Allright than how a bout a Intervention force after shit hits the fan ? Maybe chernarussians called for help ? Its not like there is no US troops in bases around russia anymore ;)

True point, leads to my thread asking about a Back Story.... because really neither me or you know what happened before DayZ...

But for good reading, here are the vehicles we SHOULD find straight off

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_of_the_Czech_Republic

Well I think humvees would be acceptable for 2 reasons.

ONLY because you can see humvee hulks around Chernaurus, and only if the humvee were an open top desert model. 

Well let's be honest...I don't think 90% of the stuff in this game is designed to be less tedious xD lol so if you're goin for hope based on the amount of tediousness, you're in trouble my friend :D

yeah i know. i'm just saying that there's so much room for vehicles on this map.

Well I think humvees would be acceptable for 2 reasons.

ONLY because you can see humvee hulks around Chernaurus, and only if the humvee were an open top desert model. 

I argue about the Husks.... that was all down to the Liberation of Cherneraus in ARMA 2... this technically speaking is a different universe as such.

At the very least can we get some Boris-bikes in the next patch...I don't care if they squeak to attract attention, I'll take my chances!

• Like 1

I argue about the Husks.... that was all down to the Liberation of Cherneraus in ARMA 2... this technically speaking is a different universe as such.

Oh i completely agree, but I mean hey, they're already there :P maybe Obama bent over and gave putin a big ol present of a half million humvees :D lol idk

Anyway I'd like to see the vehicles be rather fragile and a pain in the ass to upkeep. I think you should have to find some sort of mechanic manual or booklet, or hell, even have respective operator manuals you have to find for the different vehicles before you can fix them up. Let's be honest, doing routine maintenance on a post apoc vehicle isn't as easy as you'd think

THEN there's the issue of gasoline..

• Like 2

There should be cars everywhere! In real life cars can easily start after two years without use, but that isn't how it should be in DayZ.

Cars shouldn't be hard to maintain as that isn't realistic, but finding the parts to make it work should be hard.

• Like 2

There should be cars everywhere! In real life cars can easily start after two years without use, but that isn't how it should be in DayZ.

Cars shouldn't be hard to maintain as that isn't realistic, but finding the parts to make it work should be hard.

Finding the bastard keys to the vehicle you just found... also... hand up who can hotwire?? I certainly can't :P 

• Like 2

Well I don't know...think about it. In a setting like chernarus, it wouldn't be difficult for the population to pack up their things and high tail it outta there with their family vehicles in a zombie apoc. like that, so you could technically argue for either, I suppose.

• Like 1

Personally, I don't think that vehicles would be such a great idea.. I don't see how on earth they're supposed to drive with this game's engine. No idea what Dean has up his selves but I don't think it's going to be as smooth as people seem to expect it to be.

I kinda like running from place to place,  it makes everything feel like an adventure. You plan your journey, go through various towns and places and scavenge for food and equipment for the travel. One thing that sucks is that there are only 39 other players on the server and it's not very likely to meet them along the way (say in the middle of the map), but this will be fixed in the future.

I don't know, I agree this game needs a bit more features but with vehicles I can see people just driving along the coast running over new spawners.  

• Like 2

but with vehicles I can see people just driving along the coast running over new spawners.  

You have no idea how fun that can actually be... for both parties.... 

• Like 1

Also...Keep in mind that refined fuel degrades over time. After 2-3 Years it shouldent be useable, henche why i think that gasstations should only contain a limited amouth that DOSENT Regenerate. Thus making use of a vehicle even a greater gamble. And one day in the future you be out of fuel alltogether...*good luck Training a deer or a cow* :D

Edited by {Core}BlackLabel
  • Like 2