Sign in to follow this  
Kesterlath

I have a complaint.

So,

I logged in tonight for my first time AT night and found out it was night only on all servers. (Apologies, just started playing on Sat.) Couldn't see anything, Turned on my flashlight, still couldn't see SFA really, looked up and saw a 3/4 moon and thought, Huh, should be able to see more.

I logged out, came to the forums and read up on day/night cycle arguments. Consensus seems to be this is a "survival simulator" therefore the night should be as long as an actual night. Ok, good enough for me, I can buy that argument. Log back on and crank up my gamma until I deemed it looked like a washed out moonscape and began running around.

Now, because of the latest patch/character wipe I lost my map and my compass, but I knew I needed to head north-westish to hit some towns form when I did actually find a map. Off I went through the fields and the forests and happily stumbled on a pond where I drank my thirst into submission. Now, take note, from spawn until now is about 10 minutes and I have had no hunger signs at all.

From the drinking trough I headed off again and soon enough stumbled upon a small village (10 houses tops) where all the doors were shut (which I am led to believe it hasn't been previously searched... via the forums) Searched all 10 or so houses thoroughly, (still used flashlight in house to mkae sure I didn't miss anything) and found exactly 7 magnum rounds and 2 zombies. No gear, no clothes, no drinks and no food. Ok, no problem, Head off down the road to the next cheery hamlet.

Came to a 'T' in the road and the wife says go left... Being the obedient husband I am, off to the left I went. running along my way I see "I feel like eating" messages start to pop up. I then found out that by going left I was working my way back to the coast (no map remember?) Now I'm on the coast and the "hunger" meter is orange and my stumach grumbled violently. At this point I'm 20-30 minutes into my journey. I figure it's farther back the way I came than to go to the coastal towns, so off I hurry stomach-a-grumbling. As I get to the first town, all the buildings that have doors closed have nothing, and all the building with the doors open, surprisingly, also have nothing...

Off I head to the North to the next town, same results. The difference is, my meter is now red and "I am dying of starvation!"

So! My complaint is this... If... We are to have nights that last ALL night, etc, and this is a "survival simulator" WHY... Do I go form not being hungry to dying of starvation in a little under an hour? This seems to me to be an unfair interval of time based on basic human physiology. We should have a minimum of 5 day and 5 night cycles before the whole "starvation" issue becomes pressing. In a world where I can drink from a pond to slake my thirst, yet my fire ax is incapable of opening a can of beans, spaghetti, tuna or sardines (with a pull tab for Pete's sake) going from a meal to dying of starvation in an hour doesn't seem too simulator-ish to me.

I'm all for the whole simulator experience, but I don't feel that the devs can just arbitrarily turn a blind eye to reality on some issues and not others. For instance, if I am bleeding badly enough to lose all my blood in 3 minutes, ripping up my t-shirt to form 2 rags, 1 of which is sufficient to heal me up peachy-keen, shouldn't be a magic- cure-all. If nothing else I should need to change my bandage fairly regularly for a day or two to ensure good healing. If these 2 relatively obvious things are glossed over, then why are we forced to have nights that last... well... ALL NIGHT?!

• Like 1

You're doing it wrong. First, don't crank up your gamma. Second, don't just eat until the hunger indicator is gone. Eat until it says you're full.

• Like 3

Its weird, it's like no one knows what alpha means. If you don't like it, just never play it again, or wait until the full release. why would you waste so much time typing that up? it will do you no good.

Of course I know what Alpha means, it's why I bought the game. To give input. If you had read my post, you would see the part where I said I turned up the gamma until it ACTUALLY looked like a moonlit night, not a pitch-black, subterranean realm. I also stated  I was using my flashlight in the house to search, so obviously it couldn't have been that high, now could it? If I look at the night sky and see a billion stars and a nice bright moon I SHOULD be able to see my way around to a fair degree WHILE OUTSIDE... If you don't believe me, try turning off your computer, and go outside at night when there's a bright moon some time...

My complaint is not that the night is long, my complaint is that the time to go from not hungry to dying of starvation is ridiculously short based on the fact we are "simulating" survival. I do actually happen to know a thing or two about survival, I taught it. I am merely pointing out this fact in the hopes this will be examined and adjusted.

Perhaps you should work on your typing skills if you think 3 1/2 paragraphs take a long time to type. i wrote the original post in about 5 minutes. Maybe you're used to WAAAAHHHHFIIIIXXXIIIT! as the sum total of a post. Perhaps if people tried, logical, literate postings more often, they would find they got a better response.

• Like 7

Of course I know what Alpha means, it's why I bought the game. To give input. If you had read my post, you would see the part where I said I turned up the gamma until it ACTUALLY looked like a moonlit night, not a pitch-black, subterranean realm.

Yes, you gamma exploited. I think we got that.

...yet my fire ax is incapable of opening a can of beans, spaghetti, tuna or sardines (with a pull tab for Pete's sake) going from a meal to dying of starvation in an hour doesn't seem too simulator-ish to me.

1) Axes do open cans.

2) Yes it's silly that we have a full 24 hour cycle and yet you can die in mere hours of starvation, if you look at it from a fully realistic standpoint. However, given 120 hours of game time (5 days/nights as you say) you would never die of starvation as you can find enough food to feed a small army for a month in less than half that time... Just because a game aims to be realistic, does not mean every element and feature must be real. The only problem I have with the full day/night cycle is I only have time to play when it's night time on the servers. Being it's alpha, most of the servers run on GMT time currently with a few day only servers. But that's my problem for now, not the games. I have no doubt in the future that more servers will be running on different time zones, so doesn't bother me at all. 

3) I agree that flashlights need work, need to be polished and should light up a room fairly well when used inside one, not to mention the light shining through walls entirely...

-Murph

WARNING: THIS GAME IS EARLY ACCESS ALPHA. PLEASE DO NOT PURCHASE IT UNLESS YOU WANT TO ACTIVELY SUPPORT DEVELOPMENT OF THE GAME AND ARE PREPARED TO HANDLE WITH SERIOUS ISSUES AND POSSIBLE INTERRUPTIONS OF GAME FUNCTIONING.

WARNING: THIS GAME IS EARLY ACCESS ALPHA. PLEASE DO NOT PURCHASE IT UNLESS YOU WANT TO ACTIVELY SUPPORT DEVELOPMENT OF THE GAME AND ARE PREPARED TO HANDLE WITH SERIOUS ISSUES AND POSSIBLE INTERRUPTIONS OF GAME FUNCTIONING.

• Like 2

I don't think you have much of an argument when your using a gamma exploit.

• Like 1

Here's your answer without grammatical errors or stupid "answers": 

Eating when it says your character is hungry is the bare minimum of eating you can do; you can eat far far more than your stomach allows. You have to fill up your stomach (which holds both food and water, with a maximum of 4000 whatevers. Your character feels full at 3500 unitwhatevers), let it digest a little bit, then fill it with food again. When food digests, it adds to your food meter, which has a maximum of 20,000 foods. It says you're hungry at 600 foods so again, eating when hungry is doing the absolute minimum to stay alive. 

Loot spawns are messed up right now, and due to them still patching stuff in as a part of the development process, it may stay that way for quite some time. They'll likely have a hotfix for this by next week or the week after, so just be patient. You did pay $30 to test, so you're going to have to accept some of the missteps. 

Just eat everything you can find for now, as holding your food in your backpack is far less beneficial than holding it in your stomach.

Edited by omgwtfbbq

Dear lord guys, enough with the "IT'S ALPHEWRWRRR!!!!!1!" crap. He knows, you know, we know, your grandma knows. Just shut up, it's feedback, Alphas are supposed to get feed back.

• Like 7

Ignoring everyone on here who can't give good advice:

First, some elements are simulated and others are not. Many many people, even veterans of these forums, think that game aims to be as realistic as possible, when it doesn't. The aim is to make you feel the same emotions you would in a survival situation. In this case, the search for food and water has been emphasized to make the struggle against the environment feel more pressing. It's not terribly dramatic once you take into account your activity levels, requiring a daily calorie intake of about 20,000, which is about the equivalent of Michael Phelps diet when he was training for the Olympics. Changing the day/night cycle would only help to break immersion, and possibly make things easier in the future, since you wouldn't have to worry about lasting through a long night when body temperature is more of an issue. So the choices on where to compensate aren't "arbitrary," they are very intentional.

Second, towns along the coast are much more likely to have been previously looted, so try to avoid looking for supplies there. Adding to that, some types of houses and building are much more likely to spawn food and supplies right now than others. That may be an alpha thing, or it may be a design flaw. Either way, when you start to recognize which buildings are more promising, you'll find that you'll be able to get food much more efficiently. Also, if you were lost and in an area you didn't know very well, would you run into the woods at night without proper equipment? It is much safer to follow roads during night than it is in day. Try that next time.

Third, the fire axe does open cans. Equip it into your hands first, then right click on the can you want to open.

Fourth, the hunger indicators are a little off. To quantify things, you don't get a mild indicator until you're at around 600 energy, and a severe indicator at around 300. Your energy levels max out at around 20,000. You would actually be feeling mild hunger long before the messages start popping up.

Fifth, the full environmental lighting system (and sky in general) hasn't been implemented yet, so night is darker than it is meant to be. That's just an alpha thing, so sorry about that.

The only problem I have with the full day/night cycle is I only have time to play when it's night time on the servers. Being it's alpha, most of the servers run on GMT time currently with a few day only servers. But that's my problem for now, not the games. I have no doubt in the future that more servers will be running on different time zones, so doesn't bother me at all. 

Most servers reset pretty regularly to respawn loot and zombies at the moment, so most servers are day only, with some night only here and there. When respawns are fixed, each server will be able to set when its own day/night cycle occurs by designating a start time and resetting the server.

Edited by Zollicoffer
  • Like 3

So,

-snip-

If you're lost, find a town, find the main road and on the outside of the town you should see some signs...that tell you what town you're in.

If you keep getting lost and running around in circles and that's too game-breaking for you, then just look at an online map.

http://www.dayzdb.com/map

Look at the road sign.  Look at the map.  Now decide which way you want to go.

You can open canned food with a Fireaxe so either You're Doing it Wrong or you're experiencing a bug.

All servers are not set to night.  I just played on two servers that were morning/afternoon so...nope.  When you get more familiar with the game and the map, you will get more accustomed to playing at night as well.

Applying rags isn't a magic cure-all.  You still have blood loss, which can make you prone to falling unconscious or...dying.  You may also get infected.  In fact, there's a whole plethora of status conditions.  Rags/Bandages don't always work for heavy bleeding as well.  If you move while heavily wounded the rags/bandage may fall off.

Obviously, as has been pointed out already the game is in Alpha.  You are going to experience varying degrees of bugs and other issues from time to time.

Edited by NeedsFoodBadly

Ok, now that I know about the whole 600 units versus 20,000 units it makes a lot more sense. As you said, I DO know it's alpha, I'm not saying they did it wrong, I'm saying it "SEEMED" wrong to me. Perhaps intead of repeating the Alpha statement in different fonts you could have posted some useful information that actually spoke to the topic at hand.

@Zollicoffer: /fistbump

I also stated I only went to the coastal towns out of desperation as opposed to a misguided hope of finding food... Oh, and as for the whole don't head off into the forest at night without the right gear thing... /Agree... Unless... People are actively looking to murder you for the simple fact you may be carrying a can of beans! I'll take my chances in the forest thanks! ;)

• Like 1

Yes, you gamma exploited. I think we got that.

Dude, everyone, at least people who want to actually see, crank their gamma up. It's not an exploit. Until gamma is hardlocked (ie never) it is just the same as lowering your graphics settings, it's a choice.

• Like 1

How does your wife put up with your whinging about how unfair it all is?

Seriously though do some research instead of writing a page about how incompetent you are in this game and how somehow it isn't your fault.

Edited by weedmasta

[sNIP]

I'm sure you're trying to tell me something... give me a minute... I'm sure I'll figure it out.

To OP:

Do you have clouds turned off. I've found after the latest patch, with clouds on that night is more than playable at default gamma/brightness.

Edited by DJPorterNZ

I'm sure you're trying to tell me something... give me a minute... I'm sure I'll figure it out.

To OP:

Do you have clouds turned off. I've found after the latest patch, with clouds on that night is more than playable at default gamma/brightness.

That's wrong. Turning clouds off makes things darker (was made to be this way on purpose so you have no advantage with clouds off)

Well you gamma exploited, so what is your problem?

The problem is you thinking "gamma exploitation" is a DayZ crime and deserves death in an Alpha.

Ok, now that I know about the whole 600 units versus 20,000 units it makes a lot more sense. As you said, I DO know it's alpha, I'm not saying they did it wrong, I'm saying it "SEEMED" wrong to me. Perhaps intead of repeating the Alpha statement in different fonts you could have posted some useful information that actually spoke to the topic at hand.

I had the same complaints and questions as you did until I saw this video :

It explains in depth about the health/hunger/blood system in the game.

Helping instead of alpha-ing.  B)

Came to a 'T' in the road and the wife says go left... Being the obedient husband I am, off to the left I went.

For this reason alone i would handcuff her downstairs away from the pc, a strict diet of Capn Crunch and pond water, minimum two days. Next time it is the burlap sack..and hot pipsi.

• Like 1

For this reason alone i would handcuff her downstairs away from the pc, a strict diet of Capn Crunch and pond water, minimum two days. Next time it is the burlap sack..and hot pipsi.

If I could report this post from my phone, I would.

• Like 1