Gravelsack

The Infection is permanent until cured.

like the suggestion mostly. don't like the idea of infection carrying over to respawns.

perhaps there should be 2 diseases in the game. the one that is there currently, curable by antibiotics... and then "the zeds."

both diseases could be indistinguishable form each other in the outset, but in the end "the zeds" has a different outcome... and need a different cure...

restarting (respawning) should wipe nearly all effects from you and give you a clean start. Otherwise, let me keep my gun if I get to keep the infection. This is silly.

But, I do agree with some option to become infected :) Which I am going to make a suggestion now for.

I knew that the idea that disease should persist through death would be an unpopular suggestion, but unpopularity is not always indicative of a bad idea.

My main reason for thinking that disease should persist through death is that we are, I think anyone would admit, a community that has a problem with cheating. I think that respawning to avoid any situation presented in game is essentially cheating. If nothing else you're cheating yourself out of an experience.

I'm not a cheater. I'll just put that out there right now.

However, every time I've gotten sick in game I thought "Well, this blows. Maybe I should respawn." I didn't, of course, but I considered it. And the fact that I considered it tells me that others would do it, and probably do currently.

The idea that someone would commit suicide because they got a cough is absurd. That just wouldn't be a realistic decision to make. I work in a pharmacy, and I see people living with excruciating illnesses all the time, often for decades. They press on until they drop dead trying to press on. It's what most people do.

Now, in order for a disease mechanic to operate properly in game, it has to be able to spread organically. Many diseases are living organisms, and they spread. They reproduce. They are often contagious.

Committing suicide (respawning) immediately when you get sick throws a monkey wrench into the equation. The disease doesn't get a chance to infect a new host. It doesn't get to spread.

I think the disease mechanic would be much more interesting if players had no way of circumventing it through respawning. They would simply have to deal with it, and go out there, and find those antibiotics, and cure themselves.

It would be very important that the diseases themselves not be completely debilitating. Otherwise, I agree, it would suck the fun out of the game. But if the effects of the diseases are tuned properly, we could see some really cool effects from having a simulation of a disease epidemic within the game.

I think it could take it to a whole new level.

Coming from experience where we had to kill one of ours because he was infected so we wouldn't get it too

Really? You sound like you'd be a douche to play with. Actually you just sound like a douche in general.

See when one of our guys was infected, we looted hospitals until we found antibiotics for him. We now have two spare sets of antibiotics and take measures to ensure we don't get sick again.

Antibiotic rarity could easily be changed, in order to reflect demand of antibiotics. This sounds like it could add another dynamic, giving the game more depth than the serious amount it already has.

So what would happen once everyone is infected? The game would be over until someone finds antibiotics just to get infected again 10 minutes later?

Also, non-infected players hunting infected wouldn't make any sense since they would just respawn with the same infections.

A "shit we need to go to the hospital but it might be dangerous" scenario would be cool.

perhaps there should be 2 diseases in the game. the one that is there currently' date=' curable by antibiotics... and then "the zeds."

[/quote']

I like that. "The Zeds". Don't sleep with that girl, you might get "the zeds".

So what would happen once everyone is infected? The game would be over until someone finds antibiotics just to get infected again 10 minutes later?

Also' date=' non-infected players hunting infected wouldn't make any sense since they would just respawn with the same infections.

[/quote']

Yep, you hit the nail right on the head. That's the entire point of my suggestion. I didn't tell you the best part though: After every player is permanently infected, the game auto-uninstalls from every single computer, and causes all of the servers to overheat and catch fire. Then, Rocket, who has been using your IP to track your address, comes to your house and bludgeons you to death with an unloaded Lee Enfield, just for the sake of irony.

/sarcasm off/

You must have missed that part where I talked about tuning the effects of the disease so that it wouldn't suck all of the fun out of the game. Obviously, if the situation you predict were to occur, it would mean that something was horribly amiss with the contagion rates.

wow, this is probably the weirdest suggestion I've read on these forums.

You can't seriously expect others to respect your opinions if you are being a douche yourself. You think you are being "sarcastic" with your little arguments for your suggestion, when in reality your arguments are mostly "what if...", "its not automatically a stupid idea if it's unpopular", "hurr you all just durr and derpa derp derpity derp."

I don't understand the part about "respawning to avoid stuff". Does someone really respawn with mid/high game gear if they break a rib or catch an infection, or will they try to look for the cure to keep their gear? Well everyone plays the way they like, but I'd start searching for morphine, don't know about you..

To get a feeling that "the infection is always present" why just not make it spread easier... Why would you have to have it from the start, I mean that would be just anothet addition to the "get gear, go find some food and water, find weapons and ammo, oh and go find some antibiotics because you caught an infection 7 characters ago and still didn't get rid of it"

why not just add a background story to all of the characters, they are all drug addicts and unless they find their daily dose of morphine their screen will shake and vision is blurred? Also add in some rocket launchers, make so that you keep your weapons when you respawn and also infinite ammo and food. So basically you will have to find those damn antibiotics to get rid of the infection you magically got from your previous character that died 15km away. That would be all about survival.

I mean, it's not a bad idea if it's unpopular...?

Don't compare humanity to infection, since they are not nearly on the same level. Which one do you think will more likely be the end of you? Random heartbeat you probably will never even hear since any reasonable high geared player doesn't have much trust on a makarov-wielding boom-boom-bang-bang dude and will avoid contact as much as possible, OR a random cough in the middle of an unaware zombie horde?

Thought so..

Also, "it doesn't make any sense" IS NOT code for "it would be too hard".

let's all spawn with infinite ammo and infinite magazines to any weapon you wish to choose as your starter weapon as you spawn. Oh, and also you will get 3 intergalactic battleships with full crew, which can nuke any specific area with laser precision.

Would it make sense?

Nope.

Would it make the game harder in terms of survival?

Also nope.

If you don't know my thoughts yet:

infections stay after death: no, fuck no.

Infections get to you more often: no problem, tweak antibiotics spawn rate and this is ok.

You can't seriously expect others to respect your opinions if you are being a douche yourself.

I stopped reading right there.

I always make an effort to be positive and constructive in my posts. I also never call anybody names.

I stopped reading right there.

I always make an effort to be positive and constructive in my posts. I also never call anybody names.

I gotta agree, you don't call ppl names but about that effort, being positive and constructive in your posts.. Man, you gotta stop telling yourself lies.

No, you didn't stop reading there, you just couldn't figure out any reasonable arguments to reply.

You're acting as if your opinion is the only one that matters' date=' and that makes you seem like a douche.

[/quote']

I answered many of your disagreements directly, and specifically said that i can see the sense in your arguments, dreganius. Just because you disagree with me doesnt mean i have to abandon my ideas.

I'm not saying you have to abandon your ideas at all, mate, all I'm saying is that in a lot of cases you've simply ignored the opinions of others, or acted as if your opinions are superior to theirs. At least, that's the way you've come across to me (and others, it seems.)

Man' date=' you gotta stop telling yourself lies.[/quote']

What are you, 16?

He hasn't been a douchebag at all about any of the posts in this thread, yet you immediately get antagonistic and deliver a rambling, incoherent and asinine response.

Man' date=' you gotta stop telling yourself lies.[/quote']

What are you, 16?

He hasn't been a douchebag at all about any of the posts in this thread, yet you immediately get antagonistic and deliver a rambling, incoherent and asinine response.

interested in my age? Check my profile.

Read the whole thread before making yourself seem like a douche.

It's so mature to intentionally reply 100% OFF THE TOPIC with random age insults..

Aslong as this makes the game harder im signing it..

+1

Aslong as this makes the game harder im signing it..

+1

If anything goes as long as it makes the game harder, then just increase the chance to get an infection..

Not some mindless "what if scenario X occurred after we throw a retarded game mechanic Y in the mod"

interested in my age? Check my profile.

Read the whole thread before making yourself seem like a douche.

It's so mature to intentionally reply 100% OFF THE TOPIC with random age insults..

The OP put forth an idea, and remained level-headed and reasonable even with puerile responses coming from some people. At no point did he display immature conduct or insult anybody. Then you came in the thread, called him a douche, and proceeded to post a thesus of irrational sarcasm and idiotic comparisons.

You are the only douche here.

Ok...

Anyway, I did some thinking about this concept earlier today, and I've revised my original post to reflect the changes I've come up with thanks to some of the helpful responses earlier in the thread. I think that it will be more palatable this way, though the people who object to the idea will likely continue to do so for the same reasons as before.

The only difference is that there are now 2 diseases. The first disease is the regular old cough, and it does not persist through death. The second is "The Zeds", and is more serious and rare, and does persist through death.

Sorry for the redundancy of repeating what is already written on the first page, but I wanted to point out that the original idea has been modified. Also, I think after our little detour a refresher about what we're actually talking about is in order.

The OP put forth an idea' date=' and remained level-headed and reasonable even with puerile responses coming from some people. At no point did he display immature conduct or insult anybody. Then you came in the thread, called him a douche, and proceeded to post a thesus of irrational sarcasm and idiotic comparisons.

You are the only douche here.

[/quote']

my comparisons were just as idiotical as for example op's "it doesnt make any sense==it would be too difficult" one. Please learn to read and UNDERSTAND what you read. All you have done so far is just flame flame FLAME. If you honestly think flaming and raging is a way to make someone notice their mistakes and mis-sayings, you should ask yourself that "are you 16" question. Now lets quit this useless bullcrap, shall we?

To op: I have never heard of anyone respawning with even semi good gear after catching an infection. Therefore your reasoning for permanent infection seems quite strange. In fact, I honestly don't think anyone would intentionally respawn UNLESS one wants to find a better spawn point (right after normal death-respawn cycle), which I wouldn't consider a major problem (even if it was a problem THIS is not the solution)

now everyone chill the fuck out!