Kashus

Every time I don't shoot, I regret it.

I'll be shooting first every time now. I'v been converted. I am going to hate on every single survivor I see now.

xD in one of my many spawns today, I ran into 2 ppl, one was bleeding. I decided to use my only bandage to help the other guys friend. Immediatly after I took a hatchet to the back of the head.

Yeah, it's not even a policy of shooting first now. I am going to actively seek out other players to kill. I figure that they have burned someone along they way and deserve to die.

I've been converted.

The only instance when I will not shoot to kill is if a player obviously had the jump on me and asked if I was friendly first. That is the only instance.

I think a lot of it has to do with no way of communicating that you are friendly to others. When I am with my group now, post no side channel chat, we pretty much are already thinking shoot first ask questions later.

I personally have yet to even kill another player, but recently was almost killed once, and had to run from my life from a couple of survivors while in Stary. I don't blame them because if they don't shoot me, who knows? I might kill them both.

There needs to be someway to communicate or show that you are a group of friendly survivors, but even then, there will be people who still will kill you in the end. It's kinda part of the game.

This seems to be the general consensus now, our group has gone from a helpful band of survivors always willing to chip in and lay down arms to a bunch of cold blooded shoot on sight killers, something i and the gang regret immeasurably.

Earlier in the game strangers were more inclined to help each other but lately something has definitely changed with 99.9% of people we encounter just opening up even if we state friendly intentions through voice comms.

Maybe it's the larger population of deathmatch sprogs now getting involved due to the mods popularity or maybe it really is a chilling depiction of humanity at it's lowest!

I got bored with shooting on sight. It's way more fun to interact with people even if you get killed 90% of the time. Without that communication DayZ is just a really slow version of any other shooter.

I got bored with shooting on sight. It's way more fun to interact with people even if you get killed 90% of the time. Without that communication DayZ is just a really slow version of any other shooter.

Was just going to post something like this. If you don't want to risk yourself by talking to them in person, think of creative ways of killing or scaring them.

Usually I kill everyone with an automatic gun on sight and anyone else with a pistol or nothing, I have some fun with.

This is the next level of understanding the game to which OP will inevitably come. I'm on it as well, killing everyone you see is damn too easy and boring.

This seems to be the general consensus now' date=' our group has gone from a helpful band of survivors always willing to chip in and lay down arms to a bunch of cold blooded shoot on sight killers, something i and the gang regret immeasurably.

[/quote']

No kidding. I introduced my group of friends to the mod, and less than 48 hours later I can hear them committing acts of genocide in Mumble. Guess that's why I can't stand to group up with them anymore. Also why they've died dozens of times, and have yet to be killed myself.

Yeah any kid can pull the trigger.. I think the real fun (or more likely the most rewarding gameplay) starts when you are able to handle dying by a betrayal of trust and keep on playing as "friendly." your instinct after a betrayal is to resort to those tactics yourself.. And that's fine.

But I'd argue that just as bandits are a role some choose (a very easy and common role), there's also the role of the true "friendly" who will play that role in spite of inevitable betrayals.

To be clear I kind of aspire to that role but I'm not actually there yet. I'm inclined to be helpful if there's little risk to me.. I.e. sniping zombies chasing a survivor from afar. But helping someone when there's a high threat to your person takes WAY more courage than shooting at everyone you see.

That's what I think is so brilliant about this game. As in life, you're perfectly free to screw over everyone you come across (to a degree), but the real rewards come when you take chances to trust and help other people in spite of yourself. People who's only concern is themselves aren't REALLY living.. Just like people who never deviate from the bandit role aren't REALLY experiencing the full potential of the game.

Just my opinion

You need some mechanism to delineate the agressive PK's. Because there's enough of them to undermine any attempt at co-operative play (unless organized in advance and outside the game). In the real world there'd be humanity, that it is actually not normal to gun down every stranger you meet (or at least they'd gather a reputation), but the game attracts PK game fans who you can't afford to give the upper hand to. So everyone gets brought down to a "shoot first" level.

That and there's no other end-game than getting nice gear and guns, which means you end up just wanting to use them.

This is the next level of understanding the game to which OP will inevitably come. I'm on it as well' date=' killing everyone you see is damn too easy and boring.

[/quote']

I applaud you guys, I myself refuse to shoot other players at all, even if they're assaulting me. When there was still a humanity face on the side of the screen, mine looked pretty saintly.

I also walk everywhere fully upright, at the slow speed, with my weapon lowered. If you gun me down, you've accomplished nothing. Only a coward would even try.

I think a big part of being able to rationalize this apparently risky behaviour is accepting that you can't win this game, there simply isn't a condition for it, and the only reason any of us are here is to experience amazing and awful things that can translate into interesting stories. "man sees man, man shoots man in face" is a crappy story.

Exploring a high yield residential in Cherno. Friend walks into a room and gets his head blown off. Communicate in Direct Coms about how we didn't mean to startle or freak him out, just scavenging. No reason to let this go any more sour. While I'm still talking, he comes out and blows my head off.

Another time, crawlin about starry sobor. Same friend is in the trees keeping an eye on the surrounding while I loot. I get a voice in coms telling me he's got his shit pointed right at me and he wants no trouble, just loot like me. My buddy is too far to hear the conversation, and clearly missed someone approaching. He tells me to finish up quickly and move a long and nothing bad will happen. I oblige and keep my skull. We then see him crawling around after I get into the wood with my spotter. We decide he was fair and go without shooting him.

These two events are very different, but each time the first event happens, I feel less and less resolve to communicate with strangers with anything other than a bullet.

Not everyone is playing a zombie game. The PK player has their own interests, the zombies are just a distraction in the gearing up process.

I shoot first because I'm not going to give any douchebag the chance to spend 5 seconds to kill me and take the kit I've worked on for hours.

Not everyone is playing a zombie game. The PK player has their own interests' date=' the zombies are just a distraction in the gearing up process.

[/quote']

Yep, and that is the problem that needs to be addressed. The only question is how.

yeah same to me - I started to kill every one - does not matter hes armed/unarmed danger or friendly .... ive been killed so meny times in back so i got enought already.

and now i almost never playing alone, only with my friends.

so i see one i will shoot him in face :)

enough is enough

yeah same to me - I started to kill every one - does not matter hes armed/unarmed danger or friendly .... ive been killed so meny times in back so i got enought already.

and now i almost never playing alone' date=' only with my friends.

so i see one i will shoot him in face :)

enough is enough

[/quote']

But then you are a part of the problem, you kill people and they get enough and kill people and on it goes. You need to keep being friendly even if you get shot 100000times.

Yesterday I played with someone who just got DayZ.

We encountered another player near Prigo and tried to communicate with him, but he didn't seem to know how to chat or use a mic.

So he just stared at us and the dude I played with was like: Ok, let's shoot him.

We did, but afterwards I felt kinda bad for ruining the experience of a new player that had just spawned.

You guys must be playing on some shit servers, seriously.

The best compromise I've been able to come up with is some moderated murder. From now on, I'm going to only announce myself and give people a chance to declare themselves friendly from a concealed location. Doing it in the open just seems to give them the chance to line up on your head while you wait on their answer (which I suppose IS an answer). Maybe I'll try to run away and ask from around a corner or something, but if we're somewhere that I can't get something between me and their gun FAST, it's just their unlucky day.

Not everyone is playing a zombie game. The PK player has their own interests' date=' the zombies are just a distraction in the gearing up process.

[/quote']

Yep, and that is the problem that needs to be addressed. The only question is how.

In one of the interviews Rocket talked about grouping up and stuff. What about he is giving the chance kind of "fortify" a place? non-PKs may gather up there defending thei society against the all-evil PKs :)

Just like a Zombie Version of "The Stand" ? OK, PKs needs to be called in their dream to Vegas but I guess you get my point

Yesterday I went to Cherno' (something I don't do often) to get medical supplies.

As I was there and had sod all on me to loose I took a look around the town. I came across 3 different survivors all lone wolf players. The first one scared me as it was indoors and we both met in a hallway.

To the point...All 3 people I met typed "HI" using direct channel as we met. All 3 then went about their business after I replied with a similar greeting.

Obviously there are many people who will shoot you whatever you do. But a simple "hello" goes a long way in showing your intentions.