Ugly (DayZ)

Character roll-back after new patch?

you can all keep saying ALPHA... but it does not explain why the database was affected when its not anything to do with the update like they say in the update thread.

And im quite aware there will be risk's its like php software i assist in developing could have flaws, but we always backup our databases so nothing is overwritten.

Edited by AdamUK
  • Like 1

Yup, i was about to post it. I am much mad than you, i was full equiped and full ammo, M4, full camouflage sitting on a military base... and then.. i'm a wild ***** with just an axe in Elektro.. no way to fix it back? Thaaaanks

We don't use the "N" word here... <_<

Edited by Mos1ey
  • Like 1

Then its bad practice for a company to state in a update on the forums that your character would not be affected because its on another database, not to mention how on earth can you reset a Database thats not being affected to the update.

Yes fair enough its in alpha but dont tell people you have two seperate databases when you clearly dont.

• Does my saved character get affected in experimental branch?

No. It runs on a different database, so any changes will not affect your character on stable branch.

Does not say "would not be affected by an update".

• Does my saved character get affected in experimental branch?

No. It runs on a different database, so any changes will not affect your character on stable branch.

Does not say "would not be affected by an update".

Well actually it does, re-read it, its a different database to what the updates were done too.

Edited by AdamUK
  • Like 1

you can all keep saying ALPHA... but it does not explain why the database was affected when its not anything to do with the update like they say in the update thread.

And im quite aware there will be risk's its like php software i assist in developing could have flaws, but we always backup our databases so nothing is overwritten.

You just don't get it do you, why should they waste time backing up a constantly evolving database for a game that is in testing phase they have got bigger fish to fry then worry about our gear, if you don't like it stop playing and come back on release.

Edited by Furyk
  • Like 2

This is the last i'll reply but the reason everyone keeps answering you with "alpha" is because the answer is "alpha".

Yup.

I was rolled like a sausage and am now in the same spot I was 1 week ago.

I know that, but come on two different databases, which would have different table names, so would be very hard to overwrite aswell.

You just don't get it do you, why should they waste time backing up a constantly evolving database for a game that is in testing phase they have got bigger fish to fry then worry about our gear, if you don't like it stop playing and come back on release.

And they dont need to do that, there is such things as running regular backups which can easily be built :), on certain intervals im beginning to realise that it seems like no one here knows how a database works clearly.

Edited by AdamUK

AdamUK, honestly, just get used to it and roll with the punches. 

I know you hate peeps saying it but, ITS AN ALPHA.

That means we will get character wipes at anytime.  It could be a bug, or a planned wipe for some strange but valid computer game programmer reason, a security fix, or.. oops, another bug.  It really isnt somethign to get upset about.  Hell, did you play the mod?  Im just wondering because you quickly learn that to love your gear and worry about it, is just a recipe for high blood pressure.  :P :D

• Like 1

This is how I understood the branch/database thing, correct me if I'm wrong.

There is the experimental branch, and the stable branch.

Firstly, the updates were implemented in the experimental branch, in order to test whether the changes were ready to go "public".
In this experimental branch, while testing the changes, you enter as a new character, which does not affect your character in the stable brach (the normal game most people here play) as that one is on another database.

But now, with the changes seeming to be overall alright, they were applied to the stable branch, which then lead to these character losses/resets/setbacks.

So there are two databases, but they do not save your character twice, but rather save two individual characters, the one you play in the experimental-, and the one in the stable branch.

• Like 1

I always 'retire' my characters prior to new patches so I do not encounter this problem. 

Also, 99% of the fun in DayZ occurs between spawn and endgame. 

Edited by Doctor Zed

AdamUK, honestly, just get used to it and roll with the punches. 

I know you hate peeps saying it but, ITS AN ALPHA.

That means we will get character wipes at anytime.  It could be a bug, or a planned wipe for some strange but valid computer game programmer reason, a security fix, or.. oops, another bug.  It really isnt somethign to get upset about.  Hell, did you play the mod?  Im just wondering because you quickly learn that to love your gear and worry about it, is just a recipe for high blood pressure.  :P :D

I understand that, i never played the Mod no, hell i got killed sunday by some douche who said he was friendly and then just shot me for no reason but i gathered you would come across idiots like that, i and im not getting upset im just pointing out something real obvious thats all and its just the point of it being two different databases.

Regards,

Adam

Edited by AdamUK
  • Like 1

Yeah, same issue here. Not worried about the loss of gear, but I wouldnt mind getting my ingame name changed. It was my steam name before, but now its changed to my computer name (which  people may/may not find offensive)

• Like 1

Must be easy to handle that many connections right ? Hey why not test that shit while the game is in Alpha right ? Nah, people whouldent understand..because people are stupid...nice stresstest tho...on hard/soft and wetware ;)

Edited by {Core}BlackLabel

You mean Alpha doesn't mean full release and that thing I agree to each time I log in stating that this is a test phase was actually legit?

Yeah, same issue here. Not worried about the loss of gear, but I wouldnt mind getting my ingame name changed. It was my steam name before, but now its changed to my computer name (which  people may/may not find offensive)

Didnt they say you can change the name in game now? i havent looked yet but you should be able to change it.

Getting geared is easy for now .. so why complain ? I bet they 'll wipe everything when the full release is done anyway.

My character didn't change too much.  I rolled back like three characters, maybe a week ago I guess.  Lost some stuff, got some stuff back.  Still have an M4 and 3 60 round mags, so thats okay.  I did lose my .357, but I got my .45 back.  I do like the fact that you can see the condition of the pistols now.

Hi.

On the first screen you see after launching DayZ, click on your name to enter your new name. I like this, your name no longer has to be the same as steam profile.

Regards.

• Like 1

My character didn't change too much.  I rolled back like three characters, maybe a week ago I guess.  Lost some stuff, got some stuff back.  Still have an M4 and 3 60 round mags, so thats okay.  I did lose my .357, but I got my .45 back.  I do like the fact that you can see the condition of the pistols now.

Happens to 2 of my friends right now. Than switch servers in hope for some daylight..bam back to freshy...than switch again..bam back to fully pristine gear...

• Like 1

First, my name was the name of my computer,i changed it back to my old one(simply click in the home menu at the name and write what you want).

My last location was at the ship yesterday,with a mosin in my hands m4a1 in backback,two pistols ect.Good stuff.

When i joined a server(new patch) tonight i spawned with a old character,3 yellow cases,1ammo case box, m4a1,two pistols in chestholsters ect.,1 in cherno.

I was so sad when that character died,i tried to get my stuff back on the same server but it was not there anymore?..and now hes BACK!:DHasta la vista.

Im lucky :D .