Timecharge

Whats wrong with server hopping?

basically you can go to some military base, server hop through all servers and end up fully geared in 5 minutes. Does that sound fair?

Until someone pbo hacks and shoots you through several buildings.

With absolutely no way to store your most precious loot (yet) and exploits, bugs and hackers all over, people are going to get tired of working for things the hard way only to lose it to people being cheap assholes.

And considering everyone I run into is fully decked out in the best gear ever, I'm going to assume they were server hopping, because I doubt I keep running into that one legit decked guy on the server.

So your rationalization is that because other people are cheating/using exploits, you should too?

• Like 1

I personally do not care about server hopping. The game has so much unrealistic stuff in it, one more thing won't change anything and I don't mind someone popping in and looting and then leaving.

But if it gets fixed then good.

That is sad. What is even the purpose of this game if you server hop for everything you have? You take all the thrill out about finding nice gear and then being scared to lose it. You make it like: I died, ok. Now I server hop for 5 mins to get it back. 

You wont even discover map and places, because reason you go somewhere in Dayz is loot. Loot is essential for this game and if you take the essence out by server hopping, you are left with nothing more but wasteland on Arma 2.5 engine with couple of guns and no vehicles (yet). 

And I agree with elf cakes. In mod times, idiots were quite easy to repair or they just stayed quiet. But now there was a flood which makes them unmanagable.  It becomes pretty tiring to read same shit over and over again. 

Sorry, but this isn't Quake. (Your probably too young to know what that is, but it's sorta like Halo) This is mean't to be a survival / Timed survival game. Not wait for something to respawn in 1 minute and then PWN sum nubs cuz u cool bro liek ErMaHgeRd! *Joke*

Right now its fine. At a certain point in time server hoppers WILL lose all that gear they hopped all over the place for because there is such a high risk of death.

As we all know the game is in an early Alpha stage, right? It should be fixed for when housing and storage options come out, of course, because that's when it'll have the worst impact. But right now, it's not a terribly big deal.

Seems like the majority of the people on these forums are very vocally AGAINST server hopping and combat logging..and yet, every time I log into a server, I find someone running through balota full sprint with no care in the world for who shoots at them, because as soon as they hear a shot (or even someone try to communicate with them), they just log out..

Then there's the guys who sit on the rocks outside of Kamyshovo and pick off Fresh Spawns... and when someone shows up with a gun to kill them, they combat log and shut down the server and reboot it so they don't lose all of their shit and you can't loot their bodies.

TLDR: This game is filled with children who have no sportsmanship or sense of fair play, and until Rocket and the Dev team come up with solutions to these problems, these kids will continue to ruin the fun for everyone.

To answer the question: "What's wrong with server hopping?"

I fresh spawn in Kamy, I run to Berezino, I run to NEAF, I run to Devils Castle, I run to NWAF, by the time I get there, everything has already been looted by 4 different server hoppers, and I am denied gear that I traveled a great distance to obtain.. If the person who looted NWAF was NOT server hopping, he would be able to be tracked.. I could check Veresnik Military Base and I could check Vybor and other near-by areas to see if they were there.. or I could be concerned that maybe the people who looted the airfield were still there and scoping me out ,possibly getting ready to kill me...

..But no.. They just come, loot ,and leave.. little to no risk on low/med pop servers.. 

Which is why part of my in-game mission is camping high-value spawns and putting a bullet in the head of every lazy mother-fucker that logs in just to loot 1 area then log out. 

Edited by Etherimp
  • Like 5

Not server hopping, and actually taking a while to gather your precious loot. The value of your loot will increase by 100% if you had to search for it for hours. Which adds to the game.

First of all dont get attached to your Gear. And what determines sever hopping? By that logic, there should not be a HIVE

you don't even deserve to get a reply, there's no way you'll ever comprehend these simple concepts. i just wish dayZ was less popular so the community wasn't littered with idiot cod kids who really should just not be playing this game.

Yeah, maybe you would be happier if DayZ were only played survival purists, but is not, and by the way I'm not an idiot cod kid. I bought original Operation Flashpoint in 2001 and all the Arma series and have an account on the BI Forums since 2002. And I know the engine limitations and it doesnt look good, but I got the game none the less and so did my squad.

Listen I get you, really I do, but you want to play by the book and impose that style to the community, you just have to accept all the KOS is because the survival, camps, crafting and vehicles are not yet implemented. There is nothing else besides combat worth doing at the moment.

For awhile while playing Day Z I frowned on Server Hopping, but then began to actually think about it and I asked myself, how is it bad? Would you rather search for the same weapon that you may or may not find for four hours or would you rather just go grab said weapon or gear and have fun with it.

Eventually you are going to die and said gear will be redistributed back into the environment + servers restart so if anything you are saving gear from being wiped and becoming useless. 

But now, I don't frown on Server Hopping nearly as much, I will admit I do it occasionally (did it at vybor today, although I didn't find anything that I really wanted (i wanted the m4) but i did find some good stuff) and call me a scumbag or what ever for doing it but until someone offers me a viable explanation for why you shouldn't server hop, i don't see the issue with it.

edit:

If someone offers me a viable explanation for why you shouldn't server hop then I will stop doing it

You join a just restared server. Make it to balota or whatever - you are definetl first. Doors are locked - you go inside - everything is looted. okfayce.jpg

There are two reasons OP. Firstly it is exploitative. Secondly it removes any sort of reward from your game; in my opinion it would ruin it, I honestly don't know why you would play like that.

Why don't you let us know what you find fun about the game when you're server hopping?

Edited by Lamontagne

If someone offers me a viable explanation for why you shouldn't server hop then I will stop doing it

Because it's more fun. Firefights are way more intense when you've got 5+ hours of your life on the line, you actually feel some raw fucking emotion, be it euphoria or rage, it's still more than BF4 or CoD offer.  

This game can be a heart attack, hopping turns it into a hiccup. 

I don't think I could put it more simply than that. 

• Like 3

There is nothing else besides combat worth doing at the Moment.

You could go sightseen instead of hopping around balota all day and than go to elektro to "battle it out" with the other "Kids" ;)

Listen I get you, really I do, but you want to play by the book and impose that style to the community, you just have to accept all the KOS is because the survival, camps, crafting and vehicles are not yet implemented. There is nothing else besides combat worth doing at the moment.

how is that relevant? i'm on about server hopping.

When you couldn't loot bodies it was the absolute worst thing.

But now that you can, I don't really see it as much of an issue, its pretty good sniping at a building and popping one of them off, then looting their body for all their shit lol

let me take a stab at this thread...

im excessively particular when exploring a military base. i see myself a closed door barracks i will first do a 360 around the full building glancing through each window to ensure its empty. i will then proceed inside closing the front door behind me, i then quickly go down the full hall opening each door to check yet again that it is completely empty. then and only then will i begin to look around for items of interest and switch them out in my gear.

5 TIMES it has happend to me that ive done this full process and yet a SERVER HOPPER will spawn in behind me out of nowhere within the previously secured and closed barracks only to blow my brains out from behind. 5 TIMES too many and i for one cannot wait for a solid solution to be rid of this abused exploit; no doubt the person was doing it for a quick grab at some fresh server loot like yourself, but when they saw me it was their greed that pulled the trigger each and every time.,

i now take great pleasure in camping a distance away from places like the tents at northwest keeping an eye out for players who just appear in out of thin air (you guessed it; server hoppers!) i then will have myself a chuckle and blow THEIR brains out and let any other who makes the effort to WALK over to that military base, loot the hoppers gear and they go on their merry way with a juicy loadout. youd be shocked at how many players will just spawn in there within a 10 minute period on some days,

TL;DR - this is an exploit that needs resolving, for the better of this game and its players

Edited by Stryder.us
  • Like 1

You might ruin the fun for someone who does play legitimately. Maybe that person just took 30 minutes walking to the police station you just hopped in, on his server. And you steal the gear right from under his nose. If you do this 10 times, imagine how many legit players you might dissapoint.

^ Exactly this.

One of the reasons people server hop is lack of things to do other than get guns and shoot other players. Because loot doesnt respawn in a server unless it is reset, you are not as rewarded for exploration. Because there are only 50 people per server, you may not find people inland. Because all the action happens at the coast because of the above you want to be 'in the action'. Because there are not yet enough zeds fireing a weapon in an urban area is not a bad idea.

On top of that just getting the gear as fast as you want degrades your experience of the game. You arent attached to your one unique life. You dont die, you re-spawn via proxy. Part of the experience of this game, is the value of your life, and the punishment of death. It is unique. Cod, CS, and other games do not offer this unique adrenalin high, because your playing with hours of your time if you fuck up even once. By proxy respawing your are lessening the consequence of your action and diluting your experience with this unique game.

When the game changes, including possibly server jumping limits, the game about survival, zombie, collection of useful items, and player interaction will be much different. But because this is in alpha, its basically call of day Z. Until hacking, server jumping, gameplay, zombies and everything else come to fundamental change the game. People will be playing it as an FPS.

Just my .02 from observation.

I personally cant wait for it to be more of a survival game and less of an fps.

Edit; the searching for that one weapon you want, makes your experience much more deep when you find it. And the consequences much steeper when you loose it. Think beyond instant gratification. 

Edited by Judopunch
  • Like 1

lol @ all those butthurt comments from people taking this game way too seriously

Now, tell me a way to stop server hopping, stupid ass cooldowns/timers don't count as a solution.

Server hop all you like OP until private hives stop you, my friends and I love killing you guys and getting all your gear. You're the only place I ever find so many fully stocked ammo boxes.

Nothing wrong with it, I do server hop to get those special double magazines (60 bullets)

Now combat logging off is a different thing, you got careless and got ambushed? take your medicine!

There IS something wrong with it, because the devs say there is. So it'll get patched out somehow, and we'll all have to make do with what we find on our selected server. But until loot starts respawning, even I can't see anything morally wrong with server hopping for loot once or twice.

You got careless and got there too late? Take your medicine!

I think when loot starts respawning it'll be cut down on a lot. 

It won't, the kind of person who is lazy enough to server hop to gear up will never stop doing it so long as the public hive exists. I'm not saying get rid of the public hive, but I can't wait until private hives come in so that server choice actually matters.

In DayZ the way to find items is the fun and also the challenging part. If you are server hopping you are basicly killing both, because most hopppers log on low popped server and go to places where noone is or which aren't looted yet. Its no adrenaline, just: "yay i found this, i found that". Next Problem is, that there are barely any zombies around. With more zombies even server hopping becomes a "small challange", but for now its just shortening the gameplay.

Imagine a Super Mario Game where you could always instantly jump to the end boss, would it be fun? For a few minutes i guess... then you would put the game aside :P

Because you could contract STD's?

This is very true a study has been done at the university of Cambridge and they found in 100% of cases where the test subject had been server hopping they soon contracted H.I.V and within 24hours full blown aids.

In all seriousness like other people have stated it is an exploit and doesn't require an in depth answer why you shouldn't do it, if that isn't enough for you not to do it nothing will be.

I didn't find anything that I really wanted (i wanted the m4)

Of course you did. Because the goal of this game is to become a soldier in camo gear who goes around murdering people.

So predictable, so boring.

• Like 1