Magicks

PSA: Friendly servers make no sense ATM

Just a friendly reminder that these servers make absolutely no sense and really take away from the survival experience that this game is trying to build. You are supposed to be afraid, you are supposed to question if you should trust people, thats how things would likely be in this sort of situation. Instead servers like these make it so really you only have to think about the zombies killing you (which right now there are barely any) and since the title is friend/ no kos it makes you think you can trust everyone on that server. This causes a lot of people to just use these servers to safely get a full kit before they server hop somewhere to use that kit. It really bewilders me why people would want to do this.

I jumped on a couple of these servers to see what they were like. People were literally running down balota airfield without a care in the world. I was astonished they felt that safe. Hopefully now they won't ;) (if you know what i mean). Also too the one guy that i killed in the 2nd jail cell on the balota airfield, if youre laying down in a doorway aiming down the sights of your m4, friendly server or not, i'm going to shoot you. Anyone that would trust that you are not trying to kill them is dumb. 

TL : DR I really hope something is done about the servers, yes i believe everyone should have the right to play this game how they like, especially if it's your own server, but until something is implemented where you cant transfer items from a friendly server to a non-friendly server, i will be completely against these because of people using them to find a cheap way to get a full kit so they can jump on a regular server and use it.

Edited by Magicks
  • Like 4

I totally agree with you! DayZ is one of the special games where you can chose how you want to be, first time when I played this, it was really intense feeling how my heart was beating for the first itme because of a game. It actually happen when I heard some shots near me, and that's all it needs. If this game was just PVE, it would be nothing more than a other zomie game, teaming up and killing them, but in DayZ, you have the abillity to actually kill other, or being able to trust someone.

Good point mate!

Once again it's how others want to play, did you buy them the game? No, are they a piece of you? No. We each have our own way of playing and if they want to have PVE then that's fine. Unfortunately that saves them from me. :P

• Like 4

As above. You cannot control them, leave them alone.

If I replaced the key words with gay people, every one would be pissed at you.

LeVe them alone.

• Like 1

I like to take PVE servers as a challenge, but thats just me.

Choice is never bad.  Let people play how they want.  yay options!  The only thing lost in having an option of PVE servers is the griefers will have to hunt people that are activly hunting them.  Not as many bambies to grief.  :P

IMO, the only way to prevent server hopers.....second in scumy, slimeyness only to griefers, is unique character loadouts on each server.  I don't know if thats possible with DayZ server structure though.

• Like 1

Phooey, yea it's called private hives. But that's a different topic. :P

• Like 1

Once again it's how others want to play, did you buy them the game? No, are they a piece of you? No. We each have our own way of playing and if they want to have PVE then that's fine. Unfortunately that saves them from me. :P

As above. You cannot control them, leave them alone.

LeVe them alone.

Seems however you two did not read my full post, or maybe you did not understand it. I  stated a bunch of reasons why i didnt like it, followed up by the one big problem i thought it caused (people using these servers as an easy place to kit up before they server hop somewhere else). Then i went on to say that right now i dont think they should be allowed because of this, however i do think people should have a choice to play however they wanted, but id like the issue of server hopping after using these servers to kit up to be addressed first.  That's also why i put "ATM" in the title for the topic. Choice is always good i believe, but in some cases it causes more problems that need to be looked at first before people should be allowed that choice.

Edited by Magicks

Seems however you two did not read my full post, or maybe you did not understand it. I  stated a bunch of reasons why i didnt like it, followed up by the one big problem i thought it caused (people using these servers as an easy place to kit up before they server hop somewhere else). Then i went on to say that right now i dont think they should be allowed because of this, however i do think people should have a choice to play however they wanted, but id like the issue of server hopping after using these servers to kit up to be addressed first.

Only thing is its so easy for these server hoppers to gear up on low pop servers your point is really just self-serving to your arguement.  But I agree that the worst thing right now is the rampant server hopping that goes on atm.

Seems however you two did not read my full post, or maybe you did not understand it. I  stated a bunch of reasons why i didnt like it, followed up by the one big problem i thought it caused (people using these servers as an easy place to kit up before they server hop somewhere else). Then i went on to say that right now i dont think they should be allowed because of this, however i do think people should have a choice to play however they wanted, but id like the issue of server hopping after using these servers to kit up to be addressed first.  That's also why i put "ATM" in the title for the topic. Choice is always good i believe, but in some cases it causes more problems that need to be looked at first before people should be allowed that choice.

I believe they are working right now on server hopping and combat logging, dunno when it will be implemented.

Phooey, yea it's called private hives. But that's a different topic. :P

LOL, true.  my duh moment for the day.  :)

Well, at work (boring) so can't "fully" read so sorry. xD Anyhoot, private hives would be a quick fix but would also suck.

Just a friendly reminder you don't have to follow any arbitrary rules some admin puts on his server as word of Rocket trumps everything

So go ahead and put everyone to bayonet (still to be implemented)

• Like 1

Honestly tho... as the OP says they run around PvE servers skipping and holding hands without a care in the world like its a post-apoc Disney land. Its hilarious

• Like 1

Just a friendly reminder that these servers make absolutely no sense and really take away from the survival experience that this game is trying to build.

No one is forcing you to be friendly on so-called "friendly" servers. If anything, I would be even more paranoid on a server with friendly in its name. Honestly, I think it's just an ironic gimmick server operators are using in many cases.

• Like 1

No one is forcing you to be friendly on so-called "friendly" servers. If anything, I would be even more paranoid on a server with friendly in its name. Honestly, I think it's just an ironic gimmick server operators are using in many cases.

You may be right. I did actually see one friendly server, joined it and then in the little server announcements that come up on the bottom left when you join it does say, hahah just kidding, we are not friendly. 

As above. You cannot control them, 

No, but I can control me, and I have a gun.

leave them alone. 

No. Killing people who think they are "safe" is not only fun, it is in the spirit of DayZ. You should never be safe in Chernarus.

When I see "friendly" in server names or MOTD's, I read it as "easy targets."

Difficult to dignify this with a response.

Honestly, I think it's just an ironic gimmick server operators are using in many cases.

I sure as hell am!  And it works. my server is full more often than not.

Edited by -DMG-Jonesy

• Your server must NOT have a NO KILL policy

It's not fine. It's specifically against the server hosting rules.

• Like 3

TL : DR I really hope something is done about the servers, yes i believe everyone should have the right to play this game how they like, especially if it's your own server, but until something is implemented where you cant transfer items from a friendly server to a non-friendly server, i will be completely against these because of people using them to find a cheap way to get a full kit so they can jump on a regular server and use it.

Your final point is valid but your pointing the finger at these 'friendly' servers is a straw man, you have constructed based on your own bias'. You don't need to resort to friendly servers to accomplish easy gearing up. Just choose any 2~3 low pop servers, especially if they've recently reset, 1PP night servers are great for this, and jump away. 10~15 minutes you're as close to fully geared as to make no difference.

As long as you are allowed to 'farm' gear on one server for use on another you are going to get this problem, 'Friendly' or otherwise has absolutely nothing to do with the core problem here. As I doubt Rocket is going to move away from the concept of the Public Hive for all Public servers, you can expect this to continue for the forseeable future.

So, while you believe friendly servers are pointless ATM, and for the record I think that as well, it does show the intent of the admin and community of that server to create a more casual enviroment for playing DayZ when that opportunity is available. All power to them, there is no right or wrong way to play DayZ. It will necessitate that they are on their own shard of the hive, and gear will not be transferable back and forth as it is mandated presently. You and I won't have to worry about them interferring with the way we want to play DayZ. Everyone is happy, except maybe the KoS-kiddies.

Everyone is so uptight on these forums and calling out features of DayZ simply because they don't fit with their particular play style. 1PP/3PP, 24/7 Night/Day, Gamma & Brightness, etc., etc. They are all more concerned about the way other people want to play the game rather than seeing the bigger picture.

I would much prefer for DayZ to deliver on a open and robust framework that allows every possible play style that can be restricted down by a server admin to reflect the needs and wants of a particular community, rather than have arbitrary limitations imposed by the engine to satisfy the whims of a particularly vocal minority within the wider DayZ community.

Yes it might fracture the player base a little, but there are currently 1.1 million of us players already in here. We aren't going to be all on the same servers anyway. We're already fractured on solely geographical bounderies and server locations (ping). The Hive makes us think we are all capable of playing together on the same field with an enforced equality, but the reality is that the hive itself is open to abuse, and the player base has shown itself more than willing to embrace that abuse and exploit it for all that it's worth.

TL:DR 'Friendly' servers: pointless, but not the problem. The Hive is the problem, and one that isn't likely to go away. There's more than enough room for them to have their server ATM, even though they can't enforce anything. Leave them to it.

So decide for yourself if you are petty enough to simply want to piss on the 'Friendly' parade, or just get on and play DayZ the way you want on the other servers. I would like to think that the DayZ community has evolved enough to allow for that, but after way to much experience with the Mod and a growing acquaintance wth the SA, I'm packing a raincoat. And I'll be lending my voice to any call that is asking for Private Servers/Private Hives sooner rather than later!

• Like 2

I think it's funny that people who think these servers are lame seem to be logging onto them. At least this thread is evidence of that. Why don't you just go about your way and let them do their thing?

When I log onto a non KOS server, I do so knowing full well that there is no such thing as a non KOS server, but I admit, I do hesitate a little longer before shooting someone. Honestly, KOS is such a tired topic to me. I think the discussion should change. If I see someone running in the opposite direction of me across a field, I don't shoot them, I watch them and make sure they aren't trying to flank me or take my freedom in any way before I move on. Now yesterday, some dudes chased my buddy out of NEAF. What they didn't know is that I was providing over watch from the hills and he was leading them right to me. Even in that case, where they were obviously trying to kill my friend, I decided to lay down some suppressing fire and avoid taking their lives. It was hilarious how quickly they changed direction when I started shooting. In all honesty it was more gratifying than killing them. 

Also, your argument that they are using these servers to gear up is ridiculous. You just don't like the idea of a friendly server. I'll tell you where people are gearing up. If they're smart they're doing it on low populated night time servers because those things are player deserts. You can run all the way around the NWAF with your flashlight on and not worry about anything.

• Like 1

Making a server that says, "Friendly 24/7 Day No KOS Please" in the title is a flashing neon sign inviting bandits in

• Like 1

Salamander, I am talking about players not the servers. Plus I already knew that it is against the rules, what you think I'm blind? LOL Anyways like I just said players can play however they want although the only time they will truly get PVE is with private hives.