Sign in to follow this  
virtual

When I spawn - where should I head to?

I only have about 14 hours of DayZ: Standalone played - and I still have no idea how to find good military gear... I know how to find my location on the map located here (http://dayzdb.com/map/chernarusplus) but I have no idea where to go to get a decent weapon where no one else will be around (as often, anyways - definitely not going to Balota...) and I'm just struggling, but I guess all newbies are like that. So... any helpful tips?

• Like 1

Many new military outposts have been added in the Standalone. Look for military-type buildings. You can find them in many places, notably Zelenogorsk, Green Mountain, the large airfield in the Northwest (NWAF), the smaller airfield northeast of Krasnostav, and the big hill northwest of NWAF. The cities may also have some barracks buildings added, but barracks tend not to spawn much ammo. There is a brand new military base situated southeast of Pavlovo too, but regard it with the same caution as you would Balota. It is frequently picked over.

Also don't hang out at Green Mountain. The ghosts that haunt the facility will drive you insane.

• Like 2

I only have about 14 hours of DayZ: Standalone played - and I still have no idea how to find good military gear... I know how to find my location on the map located here (http://dayzdb.com/map/chernarusplus) but I have no idea where to go to get a decent weapon where no one else will be around (as often, anyways - definitely not going to Balota...) and I'm just struggling, but I guess all newbies are like that. So... any helpful tips?

Any where with loot :p

• Like 1

Depends on where you spawn

But lets say you spawn near Berezino

You should be able to easily recognize it from the construction site (crane) in the distance

Go to that construction site, 99% of the time you will find backpacks there, usually in the stairways and upper level of the construction site.

Then, go to the hospital in Berezino for first aid stuff. There is also a supermarket near the hospital you can get food

Before leaving Berezino, drink from the water pump  (also close to the hospital) until you are no longer thirsty

Head north, past Khelm and Kransostav to arrive at the Krasnostav Airstrip. You can easily identify it by the two big hangars. Still, this step is a bit tough if you don't have a compass. Make sure the sun rises/coast is on your right when you run so that you know you are running north.. This might take a little practice, and you might get lost first few times. But going straight from Berezino to the airfield shouldnt take more than 10 minutes of running. You cross a couple of forests and hills on the way. When you get to the airfield, in the barracks and ATC Tower you will find weapons and gear. See here for a good guide:

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/165256-dayz-sa-equipment-guide-what-equipment-you-should-be-using-to-survive-and-where-to-find-it/

Hope this helps!

Edited by SurvivorX
  • Like 2

Great advice above. I joined an experimental server today (so with a different character than public SA hive), spawned in Berezino, and ran through just that town - wound up with a full stomach, mosin with sight and ammo, fnx45 with ammo (but no clip), fireman's axe,  medical kit, storage box, TTsKO pants, decent clothing all around, pristine motorcycle helmet, and a green mountain backpack. Most towns can gear you similarly. Mosins and sights seem to spawn in some residential buildings. Took maybe 60-90 minutes.

if you are new to DayZ, dont both with the maps.

where you should be headed? just wander around inland.

you will have way more fun coming across stuff by accident and learning the terrain by feel and sight.

just my thoughts...then you will know the map by heart and you never get that amazing feeling back...but still a lot of fun.

• Like 1

try to go to the closest city to find some food and water, and maybe some guns.

I prefer to gear up relatively slowly and safely while heading NW through the middle of the map towards the military base by Kabino and Vybor and then onto the NW airfield. I generally head to Staroye or Dolina straight off the bat, depending on where I spawn, and then it's a pretty straight forward route that doesn't require a map. (Polana > Gorka > Novy > Stary > Kabanino > military base > NW airfield)

I'll generally have a Mosin with some ammo, all the basics and more than enough food and drink by the time I hit the military base so I feel that I could defend myself, should I have to.

Like deebz said - it's a lot of fun to just play and get lost in the massive world of DayZ when you're new though. You can become so immersed in the world and the map feels impossibly big but rapidly gets smaller and smaller the better you know it. I'd recommend not using online maps and only using items found in-game.

Edited by Mos1ey

If you're content with a Mosin and a Handgun, I like the East Coast run I call "Running Upstream," which is simply get to Berezino, the Khelm - Krasnostav - NEAF.  If you make it our of Berezino and Krasnostav without a Mosin, I'd be surprised.  And who knows, you may find an M4 at NEAF, and it's always abandoned, save the occasional server hopper.  But thats how you train on the Mosin!

Also, the above metnioned route, once completed, run NE to the coast and work your way down the coast to the Lumber yard.  One of my favorite hikes.

I think it all depends how you want to play:

1.) if you want to experience barely surviving, randomly come across towns and enter each building, gathering the items you find. You won't have a weapon (usually), but you'll experience the game to its fullest. 99% chance someone will kill you and all the gathering you did of food and supplies goes rocketing down the toilet

2.) if you want a weapon, go to an airfield/military base. once you get familiar with the map, you can get to one in roughly 20 minutes. just haul ass, grab water, dont search houses along the way, get to the base- maybe you'll find a gun, maybe just an axe- at least its something. then gather food, supplies, etc...

it always astounds me the people who gather supplies BEFORE they have a weapon. you're basically gathering and doing all the hard work for the person you meet with a weapon, who will most likely kill you, and take all your stuff.

dunno about you, but id rather have a weapon before i gather. to do so before a weapon, to me, is pure insanity.

I have still only been KoS'd 3 times when unarmed.  Once a bandit group made me fight to the death on Kamyshovo's docks.  Me and another freshspawn.  They placed one fireaxe between us.  I went for the axe, and learned a lesson as his well aimed punch knocked me out.  But I always gather supplies.  And still feel that going to a base first is a waste because that will get you killed unless you are prepared.  Interior cities, even on high pop servers, are sometimes completely untouched.