bad_mojo (DayZ)

Turn on post processing

It's your health indicator and can introduce another layer of difficulty when you end up being low on health.

Look at how "fun" it would be to try and navigate the world at low health...

Also, check out the other guides by Merino, they're the best source for educating yourself.

• Like 13

My PC is too weak for post procesing. If I turn it on It will kill my FPS.

• Like 5

I feel pain of you also :|

I put one time everything to max only for make nice screenshot and in 10 seconds pc saying 'FUCK THIS!!!' > :( and was crash no restart for 40 minutes :o

great video Merino is The Professor B)

Edited by KoS
  • Like 1

My PC is pretty high spec and I'm not playing with post-process effects because it causes input lag and the depth of field effect makes it too difficult to spot players at range.

Not worth it IMO.

• Like 6

Thank you for this video, I find it completely amazing you did this and posted it, especially since it took over 2 hours and 30 minutes.

Post-Processing though, I don't use it for the reasons Mos1ey stated.

Many thanks, have my beans

I play with everything on, and maxed out. Framerate drops a bit in cities, but thats it. No other problems.

Have a decent PC, but not the newest of the newest stuff. Can't post specs now, i'm on a different PC and don't know them of the top of my head. Only know i have an Intel i7 Processor.

Edited by Greaves

Thank you for this video, I find it completely amazing you did this and posted it, especially since it took over 2 hours and 30 minutes.

Post-Processing though, I don't use it for the reasons Mos1ey stated.

Many thanks, have my beans

All credit goes to Merino of the Trusted Medics of Wasteland, I just used his great video to show the effects of post processing. Most people just turn it off without even trying it.

If you turn PP to "very low" than it wont touch your framrate and you will still get that slight blur effect when you run.

PP is to much for me when it's set to anything high.

• Like 3

Nah, post processing makes things hard to spot at a distance.

I feel stupid, what is happening in both the vid and OP?

What is post processing?

Post processing is a video setting in the game that a lot of people set to 'disabled'. It causes the blur you see in the video.

The video is a time lapsed video showing somebody drinking a bottle of disinfectant, losing most of their blood and health and then regenerating it back. You can see how difficult it is to see at the lower health levels. With post processing disabled you would have no idea if you were low on health.

• Like 1

Nah, post processing makes things hard to spot at a distance.

I see another flurry of posts on the forums: 'People who don't use PP are CHEATING ME'.

I'd laugh if it wasn't going to happen!

• Like 1

I was shot today while at the northwest airfield, I couldn't see the shooter but it was close range so I took off running, bleeding all over the place. I barely found my way through the broken fences and into some bushes to bandage up, my vision was pretty bad. Looking around, I couldn't tell if my attacker was following me into the forest or not, but I wasn't going to sit there and get shot by a blurry figure in the distance. So I took off running for about a kilometer until I was pretty sure nobody could have tracked me and then found a nice secluded swamp to rest up and drink. After about 10minutes my vision returned to normal and I was on my way.

yj3XsAm.jpg

A memorable experience that might have been missed for the sake of a few frames per second. Postprocessing puts you at a disadvantage to those who have it disabled, but for me DayZ is about testing myself. It's like setting it to the hardest difficulty, hud disabled, etc.

Edit: Forgot to mention the worst part, of all things, he had to hit my walkie talkie :(

LtKNQss.jpg

Edited by bad_mojo
  • Like 5

Beans for you Mojo.

DayZ for me is about playing against myself, challenging myself in whatever possible ways i come up with.
Ofcourse it's about meeting the weirdest people and hunting shitheads as well but mostly about challenging myself. :D

When i want to see those figures in the treeline far far away... I just move slowly. B)

Hi.

It would be ideal if the injury PP wasn't tied to the PP settings. Then you could turn the effects off for overall performance and a sharper image, yet still get the blurry vision when injured. IMHO the effect does a great job of reducing a players combat effectiveness while injured. While I've never been shot IRL, I somehow doubt you would be much of a threat after.

Regards.

Hi.

It would be ideal if the injury PP wasn't tied to the PP settings. Then you could turn the effects off for overall performance and a sharper image, yet still get the blurry vision when injured. IMHO the effect does a great job of reducing a players combat effectiveness while injured. While I've never been shot IRL, I somehow doubt you would be much of a threat after.

Regards.

If you set post processing on low it does basically what you said. While I'm standing still I see no effect from post processing, while sprinting I see some blurred edges, and when I'm low on health everything is blurred.

Stationary...

c9xJKuF.jpg

Sprinting...

f2a1347.jpg

• Like 1

Does PP handle effects such as rain? I been wondering for sometime now.

Edited by imthr

Up until I saw this post I have been playing with post processing on, 

This morning I was wandering around Elektro looking for goodies when I rounded a corner in a building and met someone who immediately began swining their fire axe at me. They got in a couple of good hits and my blood was spraying liberally in all directions, I legged it and they gave chase.

My screen was blurring and greying out and I knew I needed immediate first aid, impossible with this mad axeman chasing me. I ran around a corner, stopped took my own fire axe in my hands and buried it in his head as his blurry arse came round the corner, he went down like a ton of bricks and I popped on a bandage and legged it out of the city knowing it would take hours before I had recuperated to a point where I could see straight again.

Fun story and all, but now I am asking myself is it wise to be gimping myself like that

Mine is on medium, i cant get enough of the effect :)
If my PC could handle it, it would be on Ultra 24/7, but alas it cannot.

Ive always had it on either medium or high in all of the Arma games aswell, simlpy love what it does :)

Sorry but until graphic effects are forced, what is the point of putting yourself at a disadvantage versus everyone else?  Players who have PP turned off, terrain set low, etc, will have a clear advantage over anyone maxing their graphics out, turning on full ATOC, max terrain, max everything; they'll be able to see less than someone running a more optimized video set up.  I love how the game looks, but I'm not particularly interested in sacrificing gameplay so that there's more "grass" that I see, that perhaps not everyone else is seeing.

• Like 1

Sorry but until graphic effects are forced, what is the point of putting yourself at a disadvantage versus everyone else?  Players who have PP turned off, terrain set low, etc, will have a clear advantage over anyone maxing their graphics out, turning on full ATOC, max terrain, max everything; they'll be able to see less than someone running a more optimized video set up.  I love how the game looks, but I'm not particularly interested in sacrificing gameplay so that there's more "grass" that I see, that perhaps not everyone else is seeing.

Because i like to play it like this, simple as that.

It also forces me to play the game a different way, when i know people cant see half the tree i can see, for example :)

I can still keep my char alive, even though i cant see through the bushes, its a matter of adapting to it tbh.

I guess i dont really care if other people exploit the game, its they're business and they are the only ones ruining the intended fun really.

I will play with PP on, full ATOC and terrain on max, all day long, as a happy man, because it makes the game both look and feel so much better :)

I will just have to keep in mind other people might be able to see me places i didnt expect, but thats all part of the "gameplay", adapt to the situation you get into.

This is also the reason i can spend more then an hour going through Vybor hehe, i simply dont run anywhere anymore.

It suits me quite well :)

EDIT:

Damn my typing is horrible lol, let me correct some of it....

Edited by Byrgesen
  • Like 3