Sign in to follow this  
six_ten

Seems kind of inhumane to slaughter them knowing they're just sick people.

If the Zeds aren't dead (undead?) zombies, but living humans who are infected, can we capture (handcuff?) them, administer antibiotics or antiviral medicines and cure them instead of hatcheting or shooting them?

If the Zeds aren't dead (undead?) zombies, but living humans who are infected, can we capture (handcuff?) them, administer antibiotics or antiviral medicines and cure them instead of hatcheting or shooting them?

They're dead. Re-animated corpses with no remorse nor sympathy nor compassion for the living. 

They kill, that's all they do; they eat. They are beyond saving.

Edited by Flight96

Is it necessary to drink my own piss?... No but its sterile and I like the taste!

patches-o-houlihan-dodgeball-a-true-unde

Necessary!?

++

Edited by Flight96
  • Like 2

The back story supports them being infected; but uh, unless we find the Will Smith of DayZ to find that cure, I'm pretty sure the most humane way of dealing with our new infected peers is a few bullets to the dome, or perhaps an axe to the brain!

• Like 1

I figure if the zombie virus was easily curable with antibiotics/antivirals it wouldn't have led to the apocalypse to begin with. Also I figure the human body can't come back from that state. The body can't really "live" after being in that condition - basically dead.

Edited by solodude23

If there were hundreds of zombies, it would make sense.  When you come across one, then it's just some crazy homeless lady on crack.

they're purely for gameplay. they're supposed to be threatening and dangerous

if you want to spend your time trying to handcuff something thats only instinct is to get to you and beat you untill your a bloody pulp then start eating you... go ahead... I on the other hand will be watching through my scope from a hilltop wondering "what the hell was that guy thinking?"

• Like 3

It's been assumed that we the survivors (players) are about 1% or less of the worlds population that are immune to the zombie virus.  My guess is that it's airborne, so anyone not immune is/has been infected, unless they're living in a submarine or a sealed bunker before the outbreak, but I digress.

I hate to bring Walking Dead into this but the CDC episode really brings it into context.  If only 1% of the world is Immune, lets say a handful of the immune are scientists with the appropriate fields for developing a cure.  They would be few and far in between, more than likely lacking the resources to developed a cure.  For all we know in the story some lucky bastard in Greenland could have found the cure, but the necessary reagents and ingredients are from Australasia, and he has no means of communicating the cure to the world or anyone who can make it.

It'd just be to difficult to 'round up' all the infected (which while it might not seam like it in the alpha) that greatly outnumber us, cleaning them, feeding them, and waiting for someone to make the cure.  And for all we know it might not be treatable, the virus could have done permanent damage to the brain, so they will always be violent monsters no mater what.  It's a moral dilemma only until one's trying to kill you.

• Like 1

This is why it's funny when people suggest that murder should make people "go insane" or become unstable or somehow otherwise compromise their ability to function in the world.

Like, apparently it's totally okay to commit mass murder so long as people are "really sick" and we "definitely tried pretty hard to cure them."

If there is a cure found in, say 50 or 100 years, history will remember us all as monsters. Sneaking into innocent people's homes, stealing their canned goods and then systematically gunning down entire families in their front yards. Grainy black-and-white photos will show us standing proudly around stacks of corpses of sick people, and school children of that age will go "Man, that's some messed up stuff."

Edited by ZedsDeadBaby
  • Like 2

This is why it's funny when people suggest that murder should make people "go insane" or become unstable or somehow otherwise compromise their ability to function in the world.

Like, apparently it's totally okay to commit mass murder so long as people are "really sick" and we "definitely tried pretty hard to cure them."

If there is a cure found in say 50 or 100 years, history will remember us all as monsters. Sneaking into innocent people's homes, stealing their canned goods and then systematically gunning down entire families in their front yards. Grainy black and white photos will show us standing proudly around stacks of corpses of sick people, and school children of that age will go "Man, that's some messed up stuff."

Yup.

If your mom went psychotic and tried to hurt you with a knife, would you put her down folks?  

The only thing we can do to help, those things, is to re-kill them.

If there is a cure found in, say 50 or 100 years, history will remember us all as monsters. Sneaking into innocent people's homes, stealing their canned goods and then systematically gunning down entire families in their front yards. Grainy black-and-white photos will show us standing proudly around stacks of corpses of sick people, and school children of that age will go "Man, that's some messed up stuff."

Actually if you had read some peoples posts on the whole mental stress thing (none are my suggestion) a few actually wish mental stress to include dealing with zeds with having to kill for defense against people and yes of course the punishment includes killing toruring people.

I wonder at the end of the day who would be worse of mentally those fighting for there life to survive and a group systmatically torturing and killing people for there enjoyment ( doesnt sound like they need any penalties they sound mentally screwed already yes LOL)

I wonder at the end of the day who would be worse of mentally those fighting for there life to survive and a group systmatically torturing and killing people for there enjoyment

The answer is obviously it depends on what sort of people they are in the first place.

Read up on the social science surrounding empathy. It's something humans are born with, but if it's not cultivated by a nurturing environment that teaches people to care about others, then the brain begins to abandon empathetic reactions. In mild cases, you get self-centered assholes. In extreme cases, sociopaths.

Point being, not everyone reacts identically to being exposed to the suffering of others. Implementing a system that pretends that everyone is equally empathetic towards other humans is entirely artificial.

• Like 1

The answer is obviously it depends on what sort of people they are in the first place.

Read up on the social science surrounding empathy. It's something humans are born with, but if it's not cultivated by a nurturing environment that teaches people to care about others, then the brain begins to abandon empathetic reactions. In mild cases, you get self-centered assholes. In extreme cases, sociopaths.

Point being, not everyone reacts identically to being exposed to the suffering of others. Implementing a system that pretends that everyone is equally empathetic towards other humans is entirely artificial.

I nevr argued for such systems merely pointing out an inncorrect assumption. I agree people deal with it differently hence we do have those who feel no empathy at all serial killers and such. I do wonder why you failed to quote the end part of my post??

Specultaion i point to someone who is already ( and i mean there rp of the game not personally although i wonder sometimes) suffering a serious mental disorder and said they dont need any penalties because they would not suffer frrom doing what they are doing as they have no empathy.

Please read my posts i know they can be hard i so rarely use punctuation ( a flaw i just type quickly what i am saying in my head lol ) but so often my meaning is lost and people jump to there own conclusions.......