Sign in to follow this  
kd11080

Dealing With Loss

Confirm/Deny is this in the plans for this game.  I am someone who never played the mod or Arma II prior to trying Day Z SA so was not aware of the possibility of a tent.  That would make me very happy. It seems like it would be a natural function to be able to put a tent somewhere deep.  

Add to that the fun of tent/base hunting and raiding and i think you can agree it would enrich the game play.

I can't confirm or deny anything yet because I don't know.

I'd like to see tents or some kind of gear storage like in the mod but IMO it should disappear when you die.

My most recent death lost me my Mosin with about 50 rounds, the handgun (which I can't for the life of me remember the name), about 20 soft drinks, about 10 cans of food, a mountain backpack and a military helmet. 

I was smacked in the head with an axe whilst robbing someone.

I said 'wtf? aww you fucker!' and then went on with my day.

I lived my first life quite long, got some proper gear with friends and roamed the map. When we met a fresh survivor we decided to help out, but got killed by bandits when searching a base.

I must say the gunfight was short and deadly, but as the last man standing, it felt awesome. 

The loss of my gear was tough for about 5 mins, then I thought "Meh, this is DayZ." I am more bummed out when I lose a squaddie (or more...) in X-Com, tbh.

Loot will always be found one way or another. And quite fast too.

The start of a new life is more liberating and even more exciting, imo, because the zombies are more of a threat.

So far I've died fully geared...6 times to stair/ladder glitch, 2 times to ghosters/hoppers, 3 times because of random charcter wipes, several times as a bambi getting too many zombie hits, and have yet to die in a real firefight (non hopper/ghoster). If I were to get upset about it, I would hate this game. But I to love the respawn, a new adventure, learn from your mistakes, report bugs, and play on.

Please OP just don't become one of these people that are so scared to lose their gear that they combat log and/or never interact with anyone unless they are at an obvious advantage.

• Like 1

Hahahaha I'm Sooooo with what DKR had stated above. I just had a fully geared charector and was passing by elektro (first mistake) then got caught up in a gunfight with a group of 3. I managed to put 2 down over the course of 3 minutes. That's when I suddenly got caught in a crossing field of fire between the last survivor and a 4th I never knew about. Toasted.

I steppd out for a cig because I'm pissed. I know I'll come back but I spent all damn day today trying to get that shit. The first encounter I've had in four hours ended horribly.

Well....back to it I guess!

I fear dying and I hate dying. I hate losing all my gear, but I hate losing all me gear to another player more. However as soon as I spawn again, I feel a great relief and feel I can play more freely and are always happy to start all over.

I do feel the hatred of other players when they kill me or manage to steal my stuff. But after 400hrs I've come to think of it as better than having your gear just disappear at server reset. You're gear has got a kind of legacy and it's quite interesting to think of what journey the loot you originally gathered will take after you lose it. How many players does that gun you found at the airfield go through before it's finally lost at a reset? Therefore the work you put in to gathering it has not been lost, its benefits just no longer lie with you. Your initial work has now given a greater benefit to the whole of the DayZ society in a way.

This is probably impossible but I imagine has already been thought of, but it would be such an awesome thing if somehow you could track gear and just see what path it takes and where it ends up after you lose it. Would make a great story I imagine :P

Edited by tatchell

The only time I hate dying (note: not losing my gear, seriously who cares about that) is when I die to a mistake I should have already learnt before eg. I get a little blood thirsty when I see a player and my biggest fear is them combat logging before I kill them. That seriously is my biggest concern. However because of that fear I rush a little too much, too often.

A mistake I have learnt time and time again. I get the kill then as I do my triumphant happy dance I realise I have exposed myself way way to much and get shot by his mate.

But that just makes me mad at myself for not learning. 

There is nothing about how to deal with your loss. I play DayZ with one life at the time. When you die, you are dead. For me, there is no loss because I don't play the game for the count of hours. I play it for the fun it brings and life is all good and fun till it lasts. Luckily there is more than one life in DayZ so you can have even more fun with less of a loss.

I like to alternate, one serious life with one that's just ridiculous. Keeps it fresh, especially if my character has been in "serious" mode for dayz and dayz and dayz...

Investing alot of time to something just to lose it in a blink of an eye can be sometimes kind of traumatizing and not too funny

... That's why KOS leaves me cold and empty inside

I must have just died so many times at this point I simply don't give a frack anymore. I don't feel anything for dying in this game. I just start another meat bag and see what I can do with them.

The only investment you made was in your own entertainment. If this game is not giving you a good ROI you might think about trying a different genre. Nothing will ever change about this game no matter what they put in. As long as FPS people make of the majority KOS is this game.

I get annoyed when I die as a mistake of my own making. Glitching off of buildings pisses me off, but from each death new life is created, new adventures and hardships created/overcome. Get up, dust yourself off and start again.

Come to the forums and make a whinny thread about it.

Eases the pain of my shit DayZ skills every time.

You can get full "end game" geared without server hopping if you just avoid going to the same crappy places everyone and their mom goes in 2-4 hrs.

Or

You can yard around the high traffic areas waiting to be kosed by the next 12 yr old that just got his LRS/mosin