papermilk

Dayz Standalone will not survive without epoch style base building

As I believe Dayz standalone may have the option for underground base building in the future but I feel the right option is to have it above ground or this game will loose it's player base after a short period of time. The reason I believe this will happen is because after you have geared up and all that the only thing to really do is go get yourself into a firefight to make it more interesting.

This is the very fact why I moved from the standard Dayz to Epoch I just found myself looting and dying after awhile it can become very boring. But with the option of base building you have something else to aim for to build the best base possible but it can be never ending because you can always improve it or expand it. Now if I remember the reason for base building not been added because it would cause more performance issues but as I have discovered most of the epoch servers I've played on run 10x better then any normal dayz server. 

• Like 3

"DayZ is currently in early Alpha and we see a lot of work ahead of us in order to make it the true authentic multiplayer experience we want it to be. Current version is including only small subset of game mechanics and serves mostly as test bed with core technology that should serve as basis for future additions and improvements. Currently planned key future features are:

¤ Playable vehicles

¤ Wide variety of native animal life

¤ Player created Constructions in the environment

¤ Extensive interactions with the environment and crafting options

¤ Streamlined user actions and interface

¤ Upgraded Graphics and physics engine (including ragdoll, etc.)

¤ Control and animations expanded and improved for fluidity

¤ Support of user mods

We estimate that reaching Beta version with all key features present will take more than one year from current stage. All features and plans listed here are subject to change, we may add or remove features as seen fit during Development process."

All I am trying to say by quoting this: It's Alpha, the features will be implemented as we go. And player created Constructions ARE on the road map. :)

Edited by Mr. k
  • Like 5

ninja'd by above :)

EVELOPMENT ROADMAP

DayZ is currently in early alpha and we see a lot of work ahead of us in order to make it the true authentic multiplayer experience we want it to be. Current version is including only small subset of game mechanics and serves mostly as test bed with core technology that should serve as basis for future additions and improvements. Currently planned key future features are:

Playable vehicles

Wide variety of native animal life

Player created constructions in the environment

Extensive interactions with the environment and crafting options

Streamlined user actions and interface

Upgraded graphics and physics engine (including ragdoll, etc.)

Control and animations expanded and improved for fluidity

Support of user mods

We estimate that reaching Beta version with all key features present will take more than one year from current stage. All features and plans listed here are subject to change, we may add or remove features as seen fit during development process.

Edited by Dallas

Wow that's really good news to hear it's great to see that more features are been added since I last checked hopefully it all goes well.

never played epoch, though really liked the concept from reading.

it's an alpha, and it's sold 1 million copies. If anything the alpha would be better directed if we had less players, at the moment we've gotta hivemind thing going on where newbies are constantly posting similar threads (eg the two weeks of KoS "fix" threads), and flooding good idea's off the forum. 

Epoch style basebuilding? fuck no, they were grotesque skidmarks on my apocalypse world. Underground or smaller scale stuff would be a much better idea, but - that is a long way away.

bases should be great when they're implemented, but first we've got cars, tents, the rest of the survival mechanics and making sure all the gear works as it should, more weapons and hunting, so....there's a queue 

Edited by Capo

im hoping it will be more like origins thats proberly the best mod i played on dayz mod.

Epoch is fueled by creativity, when origins is limiting, just compare the buildings you can create in these two mods.

In epoch you can build a base on top of inaccessible building with helipads, adn connect it via skybridge with any other building.

The only cool thing origins have is that flying base)

Big challenge will be to implement them well into the hive. How and where will bases be saved? Only on the Server? Will defeat the purpose of the hive. In the hive? Then how will they transfer to a new server? What if someone else on that server has a base in the right exact spot as you? That was actually pretty common in Epoch or Origins. You could switch servers and find bases in the same position as yours on a new server. 

also will they be destructible while offline? this will force people to play in order to defend or repair their base. to many unanswered questions for now.

Big challenge will be to implement them well into the hive. How and where will bases be saved? Only on the Server? Will defeat the purpose of the hive. In the hive? Then how will they transfer to a new server? What if someone else on that server has a base in the right exact spot as you? That was actually pretty common in Epoch or Origins. You could switch servers and find bases in the same position as yours on a new server. 

also will they be destructible while offline? this will force people to play in order to defend or repair their base. to many unanswered questions for now.

How does this defeat the purpose?  You want everything to transfer with you wherever you go, because your quick access to friends is more important than the stability of the game?  My guess is that MANY servers wont transfer gear as soon as that's an option.  My guess is also that perminant or semiperminent caches or structures will be server only.

The purpose of the hive was to help you find friends - and it's probably the cause of many of our other woes.  Settle in a server - build a community and so much BS we address daily goes away.

Edited by spcmonkey

How does this defeat the purpose?  You want everything to transfer with you wherever you go, because your quick access to friends is more important than the stability of the game?  My guess is that MANY servers wont transfer gear as soon as that's an option.  My guess is also that perminant or semiperminent caches or structures will be server only.

The purpose of the hive was to help you find friends - and it's probably the cause of many of our other woes.  Settle in a server - build a community and so much BS we address daily goes away.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a private Hive guy myself, because in my opinion it fixes problems liike server hopping and ghosting. I'm just saying that player made constructions will have certain limitations when it comes to a central hive. 

the basebuilding dont have to be like epoch to be basebuilding, it can be like project zomboid where you can reinforce doors and windows from pre existent buildings, and also some options like tents, and other item containers.

this would be good for performance, because you dont need to have tons of walls/houses/gates/and a lot of etc in the map making it heavier/slowing our computers and ruining the beauty of the map.

Edited by xtharkusx

If anything the alpha would be better directed if we had less players, at the moment we've gotta hivemind thing going on where newbies are constantly posting similar threads (eg the two weeks of KoS "fix" threads), and flooding good idea's off the forum.

Too many people isn't a bad thing. After all, the more people you have the more opinions and ideas get floated about. The issue is the number of threads that exist for the same topic. For this, I feel the forum moderators/staff should be more proactive in locking/merging duplicate threads, thus allowing fresh ideas to surface, be seen, and commented/voted on. I also think that a sticky should be placed at the top of the suggestions forum that lists and links the best ideas (decided by number of beans given). It might take some time now but it'll only get worse as time goes on.

Edited by Monkfish

Eh, I don't believe player created construction exactly means epoch style basebuilding. At least I hope it doesn't, that would be awful.

im with you on this one & seams to be a few others .

epoch & origins are great in there own right , but disagree with their style of base building in relation to SA .

!! IMO - pre existing buildings are the only logical way to go as far as base building ( regarding flow & long term stability ) - IMO !! 

i think the bigger question is shelter ? will it serve a purpose or function ? will the elements play a role in survival ? 

if no then a base is cool & for storage . 

if yes ... may give tents more of a purpose rather than a bunch of loot wrapped in a tarp .

just my 2 cents .

Too many people isn't a bad thing. After all, the more people you have the more opinions and ideas get floated about. The issue is the number of threads that exist for the same topic. For this, I feel the forum moderators/staff should be more proactive in locking/merging duplicate threads, thus allowing fresh ideas to surface, be seen, and commented/voted on. I also think that a sticky should be placed at the top of the suggestions forum that lists and links the best ideas (decided by number of beans given). It might take some time now but it'll only get worse as time goes on.

well, you're right, and i'm not saying too many people is a bad thing. i'm saying it's in alpha, it's sold a million copies, and it's not ready yet, losing some players probably wouldn't worry the team at this stage.  

on topic, i always assumed player bases would be underground, then they could possibly be on the public hive and move with the team, while also being covert, and not hitting the server so much. I guess taking over buildings would be alright, idk personally i'm interested to see what the team has in mind, but i'd be massively dissapointed if they said "we're doing epoch style basebuilding!"

Edited by Capo

I'm not sure where I stand on base building tbh. On the one hand I think it's good to give people another thing to do, but on the other I don't want player bases affecting server performance. On that score if they can make it work cool, if not they shouldn't bother.  Secondly I'm not sure I like the idea of people being killed and just going to their base to rearm in their own little arsenal, but as long as base building remains optional on servers I don't have a problem.

I'm not sure how player constructions would work in terms of continuity. What happens when you log out of a server and what would happen if you logged into another one? Or would the player be tied to a specific server?

Edited by Monkfish

I have to admit I never thought about the private hives and been able to change server and keep all the same stuff but I guess construction can be a option on a server to have or not to have. 

I always hated origins building system , I thought it was ugly and epochs building is too complicate.. If you want a mod with a GREAT building system ,play Dayz Aftermath.its an underrated mod but the building system allows you to make houses enter able and expand able(in stages ) and allows you to place walls and gates , in case you wanna make a free style base or just barricade an existing building . So people check out aftermath and just try and tell me you wouldn't want that in dayz standalone ... Bet ya can't haha .

I always hated origins building system , I thought it was ugly and epochs building is too complicate.. If you want a mod with a GREAT building system ,play Dayz Aftermath.its an underrated mod but the building system allows you to make houses enter able and expand able(in stages ) and allows you to place walls and gates , in case you wanna make a free style base or just barricade an existing building . So people check out aftermath and just try and tell me you wouldn't want that in dayz standalone ... Bet ya can't haha .

I couldn't find ANY gear in aftermath besides trash in boxes and a hatchet off a dead guy.

I think i heard somewhere they're going to go with fortifying houses, which is the best idea in my opinion, as long as we have tents and shit still.

Personally i'de like to be able to build a small shack to, along with fences.

And civilian, bright-colored tents!

But epoch's building system was extremely annoying for raiding. Everyone and their mother had 5+ Safes and locked cars, in addition EVERY FUCKING BARRACKS had a brick wall blocking the door. Plus, try making plywood out of little logs and then making perfect walls, doors, wibdows ect from it.