Hutch (DayZ)

Swimming to Skalisty Island

I was running along the coast and was near Skalisty so I thought I'd swim over and see what changes the devs have made to the island.

Short answer: None. It's basically the same.

First, I wasn't sure about swimming, but I made it without losing any gear or health.

My clothes got a status on them of "Soaking Wet" but most dried out or changed to just wet or damp after 30 minutes.

I didn't drop my pack, gun or any other gear and nothing changed durability.
Update: It may be possible to lose your gear if you spend too much time in the water. See more recent post below.

Wasted trip though. The houses there don't seem to spawn any loot.
I'm guessing the devs disabled loot spawn there to save server lag since not many people go there. No Zeds either.
There is a well pump there for water but you'll run out of food eventually. I hopped to a few different servers just to be sure but found nothing in any of the houses or boat house.

Edited by Hutch
  • Like 3

Was planning on going there, thought maybe some secret hideout or shit. But seems like thats not the case.

• Like 1

I didn't see a "sunken tanker boat".
Of course if it's sunk, there would be no way to get to it.

Are you taking about the shipwreck off the north-east shore?
I heard that it's glitched and if you go there you'll get stuck.
I might try swimming out to it on my way back to the mainland or next time I'm a fresh spawn.
Update: I tried swimming out there. See more recent post below.

Or are you talking about the beached tanker north of Berzino?  That's on the mainland and it has Lootz a-plenty.

Edited by Hutch
  • Like 1

I didn't see a "sunken tanker boat".

Of course if it's sunk, there would be no way to get to it.

Are you taking about the shipwreck off the north-east shore?

I heard that it's glitched and if you go there you'll get stuck.

I might try swimming out to it on my way back to the mainland or next time I'm a fresh spawn.

Or are you talking about the beached tanker north of Berzino?  That's on the mainland and it has Lootz a-plenty.

The tanker north of Berenzino is worth a visit. Such a fine piece of art, mostly anything is accessible and there is even some proper loot.

As said, what happens on Skalisty Island stays on Skalisty Island

You don't want to go there without a good reason

I would love to see an old abandonned mental or orphan asylum placed there.....the island is really creepy somehow....

So before I left Skalisty, I tried swimming out to the half sunk ship off the north east shore.
You can't get on board, it's not entirely solid.

Aaaand, I must have spent too much time in the water because I started losing my gear.

My backpack, rifle and everything in my chest rig fell off in the water and were floating beside me. I kept my axe, helmet, shirt, pants, boots, etc..

The chest rig didn't fall off, only the items in it.

I was treading water next to them and could see them in the "Vicinity" on my inventory screen. I tried to re-equip therm but couldn't.

So I gave up and swam back to shore hoping to rest and then try swimming out again to get it back.

Only when I stood up on shore, everything magically re-appeard on me and in my inventory right where it was before.

I don't know if losing the stuf was a glitch or getting it back was the glitch, but beware of swimming too long, you might lose your stuff.

While I was at it I decided to watch and figure out how long your clothes stay wet.

I was only really paying attention to my shirt which was "soaking wet" when I got out of the water.

After ~2 minutes, it was just "wet"

After ~15 more minutes, it changed to "damp"

After ~20 more minutes, it was back to normal.

My pants and boots were dry much sooner and my helmet is still "wet" so it seems different items dry at different rates. YMMV.

• Like 3

Well done Hutch good testing! I wish I could do the same but it's all about looting and killing for me.

I was running along the coast and was near Skalisty so I thought I'd swim over and see what changes the devs have made to the island.

Short answer: None. It's basically the same.

First, I wasn't sure about swimming, but I made it without losing any gear or health.

My clothes got a status on them of "Soaking Wet" but most dried out or changed to just wet or damp after 30 minutes.

I didn't drop my pack, gun or any other gear and nothing changed durability.

Update: It may be possible to lose your gear if you spend too much time in the water. See more recent post below.

Wasted trip though. The houses there don't seem to spawn any loot.

I'm guessing the devs disabled loot spawn there to save server lag since not many people go there. No Zeds either.

There is a well pump there for water but you'll run out of food eventually. I hopped to a few different servers just to be sure but found nothing in any of the houses or boat house.

I am sure the devs want far more people like you testing things looking for bugs etc you are far FAR more valuable than those using the current build as a death match game you have my beans keep up the investigation ( and reporting it via the tracker so devs can fix ulter stuff you find)

• Like 1

Gear does definitely spawn on Skalisty... I've been there as a newspawn and picked up backpacks, axes, food, handcuff keys...

You guys are talking about Rify boat by Berezino. Its the only place to find the elusively rare "Press" vest and it's the only place ive ever found leather shoes. Which are quite spiffy if I say so myself. Most of the decent loot can be found in the cabins on the Southside of the ship. Cool place to explore HOWEVER be very very careful with the ladders and the unrailed drops in the ship as it is relatively easy to die if you aren't careful. I'd avoid them altogether as I've lost a fully geared character that I had with tons of rare stuff due to ladder glitches.

I went up a ladder to the back of the boat, fell down the ladder. No biggie didn't die. Tryed to walk up the ladder again this time sprinting toward so I didn't slide back down, ended up glitching through the railing midsprint and fell many stories high off a fully sized ship to my death. And to make things worse the respawn wouldn't work and I was forced to go to another server and couldn't go get my items.

• Like 1

leather shoes.

They are great I like them, maybe in future we will get shoes model like those but made out of crocodile skin. But you have to wear jeans when wearing them, becouse they look very bad with any of the cargo pants.

Edited by Frosti

They are great I like them, maybe in future we will get shoes model like those but made out of crocodile skin. But you have to wear jeans when wearing them, becouse they look very bad with any of the cargo pants.

Yeah they're great I'm just depressed I died and lost em. Damn ladders.

just DONT climb all the way up on that broken ship. Its a TRAP !

Wish I woulda known that yesterday. It really is a deathtrap, but with all the relatively rare loot there that just sits there that nobody comes to I gotta try.

I have been there too. I did not find any loot in the little fishing village with the Lighthouse, or the ship, but in the house that has a cabin/shack near it up on the hill in the forest I found loot. I spawned fresh pretty much right across from the island so I decided to swim there and walked away with a Fireaxe, Cargo pants, Wolfmask and 2 cans of tuna so it was a pretty good find from one building.

Wish I woulda known that yesterday. It really is a deathtrap, but with all the relatively rare loot there that just sits there that nobody comes to I gotta try.

I've been to Rify plenty of times, and never had a problem. Must have been lucky, i guess.

Besides, plenty of people go there, so don't let your guard down. We've met plenty of people there.

On topic: Great testing dude. Not gonna bother myself now.

Edited by Greaves

Don't think so. Otherwise they would have removed shotgun shells as the shotgun is not available yet.