Sign in to follow this  
malicor

You have been spotted, you cannot log out

another idea that might prevent combat-logging might be this:

if a player has been seen by another player, he will not be able to logout for 15 minutes. (if he disconnects, he'll simply stand motionless at wherever he was at that time).

this way, people who for example run into a huge house and hide there, can't simply quit out, and a group of bandits outsides can systematically scan floor by floor of said house

and search for that player.

this might make it probably way more thrilling for both parties.

(to prevent groups of friends beeing unable to logout at all, one could popup a small yes/no window if someone wants to logout, asking all people who have spotted that player, if

it's okay for them, if that player logs out at the very moment)

*Door bell rings*

GIMME 15 MINUTES!

I don't think so somehow...

A 30 second logout timer will be added later in development.

• Like 2

if the door bell rings, and you gotta go, you have bad luck ?

how else would you allow situation like i've described, where a single victim is hunted by a group of bandits ? a 30 second logout would be way too short for any successfull search ?

*Door bell rings*

GIMME 15 MINUTES!

30 second, 60 second, whatever, it's still in Alpha for crying out loud, have a little patience ;)

Let´s say 90 sec? lol

So there is no group system in DayZ. I've been running with my mate.

"Dude, it's stupid o'clock, I'm tired and calling it a night"

"me,too"

"Oh shit, we've been spotting each other, wait whilst I get out of Line of  sight and wait 15mins" 

"Fuck............."

No, no, and no again. Also saying it's bad luck if someone comes to your door................ get a grip. There is a real world out there. Go see it for yourself sometime.

*Door bell rings*

GIMME 15 MINUTES!

so what happens if in engage i guy from distance of lets say 500 meters with my mosin/m4. I shoot him, his bleeding or something - i'm slowly making my way down the hill - watching only exits from his cover. I get down the slope - he's not there? 30sec  logout timer is cheap and bad solution. Well - it's ok for alpha but for end product - that's  a bad solution. It a good solution for CQC but bad for longer engagements or engagements in group vs group. 

Edited by sYs

why do people keep bringing this up it has been made quite clear the sulution is in place it is just not working properlly yet

give it time

What if you were with your friend, but you had to go, but your friend looked at you funny?

Does that mean you have to sit there taking a virtual shit for 15 minutes or something?

it'd be pretty helpful if you'd actually read the whole first post, and not just part of it.

i've stated that there should be some mechanism to keep you from having to wait 15 min when you saw a friend.

what i want to have prevented is the very same situation a poster above described:

you shoot a guy 500 yard away, and slowly sneak up to him, to finish him off (which will take you, let's say, five minutes), just to see he was able to disconnect by then.

30s logout timer will definitely be added if nothing els, which is in the mod itself and think

proximity blocking will be added as well. (I know you say, people will use it to scan areas, 

but are you willing to stand for 30s exposed just to scan if someone is nearby).

Also in terms of sniping long as you fire at your opponent time to time you can block the logging out

until you run out of bullets (combat situation).

The proximity will definitely make sure the person doesnt logout from a surrounded building.

Sits on top of school in elecktro, spams the escape key to see when people are coming.

Quit *Nope*

Quit *Nope*

Quit *Nope*

Quit *Nope*

Quit *Nope*

Quit *Nope*

Quit *Nope*

Quit(please wait 15minutes) *HELLO!*

Though I think there are some inherent flaws in this and some of the arguments against it aren't valid too. Spotting someone has to be an action, like in BF. You see someone, spot them my using an action key, and it is called over the radio to other soldiers.  So for DayZ you just get someone with in the center of your screen hit said button and they are spotted. Friends would not spot each other.  For the 15 min thing I think is too long, but you can log out and go about your business. It's just your character will stay.  I think maybe a 2-3 min wait would be acceptable, even more maybe. 15 min a complete stranger could happen upon you even in the woods, which is where everyone should log out anyways for safety. 

• Like 1

Please, please, please - make the character model go fetal as if scared to death for those 30 seconds. ^_^  

Edited by McBonkhead

Though I think there are some inherent flaws in this and some of the arguments against it aren't valid too. Spotting someone has to be an action, like in BF. You see someone, spot them my using an action key, and it is called over the radio to other soldiers.  So for DayZ you just get someone with in the center of your screen hit said button and they are spotted. Friends would not spot each other.  For the 15 min thing I think is too long, but you can log out and go about your business. It's just your character will stay.  I think maybe a 2-3 min wait would be acceptable, even more maybe. 15 min a complete stranger could happen upon you even in the woods, which is where everyone should log out anyways for safety. 

this seems like a great idea to me, to actively spot a person and mark him as target. it would eliminate the problem that your friends can't logout, and it'd keep people from beeing able to scan an area for players, since in order to mark someone, you first have to find him.

Sits on top of school in elecktro, spams the escape key to see when people are coming.

Quit *Nope*

Quit *Nope*

Quit *Nope*

Quit *Nope*

Quit *Nope*

Quit *Nope*

Quit *Nope*

Quit(please wait 15minutes) *HELLO!*

For this reason EXACTLY, it should not be like this.

People will exploit the crap out of such a feature lol

you will not see if people are coming, you would with this only notice that someone has actively seen you and market you as target, and believe it or not, 99% of the time, you will notice that player, too, most often due to the shots probably.

This idea is ridiculous and unworkable. You get exactly zero beans.  :emptycan:

although the combat flag mechanics are different, it works fine in EvE Online.

in EvE, you have a 5 minute timer when engaged a NPC and a 15 minute timer when engaged a player. if you logoff during the timer, your avatar remains visible and attackable until the timer runs out, thus emphasizing the importance of a safe log-off.

presuming a proper combat/engagement flag mechanic is implemented, this could work well for DayZ too.

• Like 2